America the Police State

America, "home of the free," actively destroys more of its citizens' lives, per capita, through imprisonment, than any other country in the world. It puts people in jail at a higher rate than even communist China.

Based on the latest figures from the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the Drug War Chronicle estimates that more than 530,000 people were behind bars for drug offenses in the U.S. at the end of last year. Drug offenders accounted for about 25 percent of jail inmates, 21 percent of state prison inmates, and 55 percent of federal prison inmates. The total number of people behind bars was about 2.3 million, an all-time record, giving the U.S. an incarceration rate of 724 per 100,000--the highest in the world, according to the Chronicle, which says we even beat out China this time.

If you have any fondness for the government of this country; federal, state, or local, then you're a fucking moron. I'm serious. Take it to heart; quote me.

Comments

1. A College Student says:

I'm curious, Rich: Have you ever written about compulsory schooling?

2. So I guess we should just let people break laws and not hold them accountable, huh. If these people you claim are being destroyed by the police state didn't committ crimes they wouldn't be in prison.

3. Jon:

You're a moron. Once you begin to understand the difference between "laws" and right and wrong, you'll be on track to becoming a human being as opposed to a programmed organism.

4. Daniel Day says:

Is it OK if I don't have any fondness for any of the govt branches but still want the burglarizing, robbing, raping, torturing and murdering sons of bitches currently sharing this side of American soil to be jailed where they can fuck with each other instead of people like me?
    I agree with you about the idiocy of jailing people for drug "crimes", but a certain percentage of drug dealers are also violent punks who really, really do not deserve sympathy for their incarceration.

5. Daniel Day says:

By "this side of American soil" I mean "not (unfortunately) yet dead and buried". Apologies for the superfluous detail.

6. Daniel:

Got no argument with you. I'd thought that was implicit in my post, but perhaps not. Indeed, ethically, crime is that which purposefully harms others in important ways, such as your list (what I call "bread & butter crimes"). "Legality" is simply by definition, such as when slavery was legal. There is no necessary correspondence between the ethical and the legal, only coincidence.

7. CSC5502D:

Please don't be such a moron. And, read the previous comments that have already dealt with your inability to form actual conceptual thought.

What these two preceeding morons (will you be next?) tells you is that they don't like the clear and presise identification of something SO unpleasant to ponder. America puts more people in prison, per capita, than any other country in the world. That's THE FACT. Do you grasp that? Now, if these people were actually criminals from an ETHICAL standoint (rapists, thieves, murderers, etc.), instead of merely from a LEGAL standpoint (the above, plus dopers and such), then what would that say about American culture? How can we claim its superiority to other cultures if it doesn't motivate and inspire human goodness and achievement in more people than average than other cultures?

So, the two preceding morons would have you believe that it's a faulty American culture that's at fault, which requires a police state to imprison the hosts of bad apples produced by the culture.

But Ocamm's Razo suggests otherwise. It's a far more likely explanation that rather than a bad and inferior culture, that the American state simply criminalizes more people than do other countries, even countries like Cuba, communist China, North Korea, Iran.

Sad to ponder, but true nonetheless.

The "law enforcement" mechanism is an enterprise unto itself in this country.

8. A bit, though I haven't touched on the compulsory aspect, which, of course, I am against completely. I've talked about viewing public schooling from the perspective of individual dedicated teachers vs. from the perspective of the system.

in comments, here:

and a post, here:

9. CSC5502D says:

Yes, as we all know, the government "puts" people in jail.

Criminals never do anything to get there on their own.

10. CSC5502D:

First, I'm not a liberal. Have been a conservative and libertarian all my life. I hate commies and liberals, even more than you.

Second. you're a moron. Until you can make distinctions between "leagal" and "moral," there's no point in talking with you.

Third. You're too stupid to make distinctions between actions that harm other people and actions that don't, so that in fact, you really have no way in the world of tellling right from wrong — which is why you must rely on things like the law, probably a religious text of some sort, and probably the authority of other people like a minister. Fact is, you can't discern right from wrong on your own, without reference to some external source of authority.

That makes you stupid. Woefully stupid. You ought to put the keyboard away. You're dangerous. You could end up harming the minds of young children.

Fifth, 99% of my drug use is of the "legal" kind, which, of course, makes it a-ok in your pea brain.

11. "drugs are illegal. So what? DON'T DO THEM… this concept requires that you take repsonsibility for your own choices"

No, it explicitly says that you don't have responsibility for your own actions, that the legislature and the police will decide for you what is a responsible action and what is not. Responsibility means accepting the *natural* consequences of your actions, not some made up consequences created from whole cloth.

All three of us are out here "not doing drugs and not being in jail for doing drugs". It doesn't change a thing.

Moron.

12. CSC5502D says:

Typical liberal…never answered the main point and calls people morons when he can't actually answer them.

Repeating over and over again that we "put" people in prison doesn't change the fact that those people did something to get there, no matter how many times you say it or call me or anyone else names.

So drugs are illegal. So what? DON'T DO THEM. Wow, that was hard. If you think they should be legal, get the law changed. If you can't, and CHOOSE to do them anyway, then you screwed yourself. Not me, not the evil government…you.

Of course, since this concept requires that you take repsonsibility for your own choices, that means liberals will repeat statistics over and over and over and over and over…

oh yeah, and call people morons.

That's okay. You rail against the evil system from your cell all you like.

I'll be out here, not doing drugs and not being in jail for doing drugs.

Guess you win, right?

13. Rich,

So unless I believe the way you do I must be a programmed organism. Not hardly, it is you that are the moron that thinks everyone has to think like you or they are a moron.

14. Kyle Bennett says:

Jon,

Yup, logic and facts are just a matter of personal preference.

15. Jon:

You ought to read all the comments on this. Therein is your answer.

Look, you don't _have_ to be a moron, but when you simply assert that I and others ought to simply respect and obey laws _because_ they're laws, then you're not acting as a human. You're simply regurgitating what you've been told.

Tell me to respect and obey right and wrong and I'll call you a brilliant human being in the best traditions of that ideal.

Your choice.