_ap_ufes{"success":true,"siteUrl":"freetheanimal.com","urls":{"Home":"http://freetheanimal.com","Category":"http://freetheanimal.com/blog-admin","Archive":"http://freetheanimal.com/2014/07","Post":"http://freetheanimal.com/2014/07/nobody-is-safe.html","Page":"http://freetheanimal.com/advertising-product-service","Nav_menu_item":"http://freetheanimal.com/2014/07/subscribe.html","Content_ad_widget":"http://freetheanimal.com/?content_ad_widget=widget-2-5x118"}}_ap_ufee

Breaking News: New Progress Photos Looming Near

Don't know how many times over the last few months I've been asked about putting up new progress photos. Well, I had decided to do them each 10 pounds of loss, and since my last were done at about 193, I decided to wait -- no matter how long -- until I hit 180 or less.

Well, today I hit exactly 180, on the nose. So, I had my trainer snap some photos. Unfortunately, they all came out quite blurry, save one, so here it is.

SANY0063

I'll get some others up within a few days.

Comments

1. Patrik says:

Congrats dude!

You can really notice the difference by looking at your neck.

Here too:

________________________

Right now, I am on a plateau weight-wise after gaining a few pounds.

I am not too worried about it for a few reasons.

1) Total weight is meaningless just like total cholesterol

2) While I gained a bit of weight, I have had massive strength gains. Robb Wolf and Martin of Lean Gains often say it is almost mutually exclusive to lose weight and gain strength. As in: when you build muscle, you often add a bit of fat as well.

Last week, my max 1RM DL jumped from 340 to 388. Yesterday at CF I did:

Deadlifts

10 x 225
    10 x 245
    10 x 265
    10 x 285
    10 x 308

After that WOD (ruthless BTW) I suspect my true, rested 1RM DL is about 420-ish. My goal is 450 by summer's end.

3) I dropped the Vitamin D and K2 etc etc which may or may not have had a role in my weight gain. Gonna restart next month and see how it affects me.

Cheers and have a great weekend!

2. right on. looks good.

y'know, i've got a gym packed away in a corner. it's not one of these namby pamby universals for girls. ;) it's an actual gym i bought years ago when i was a bodybuilder (6 years of it). you're inspiring me to set it up again. i feel like a stick. (heh)

i've noticed that since i went high fat paleo a couple years ago (plenty o' raw meat too), i've beefed up and toned up somewhat without vigorous exercise.

noticed this?

3. Kathleen Conway says:

Dang, man, you look great! Can't wait to see more!

4. Richard. All I can say is that if I were a woman…

5. Misiune Imposibila says:

I was one of the persons how considers this progress very motovational.

Congratulations!

6. Sherri says:

Definitely an inspiration Richard!

Question for you – I noticed that on the twitter pics of Paleo food you had photos of an Indian cheat meal you had with nan and rice. The date was about a week ago, which is only a short time before you have reached a new low?

I was curious what effect cheats had on your weight progress. I know that for some people having a high carb meal once and a while or even once a week speeds up their weight loss. Unfortunately doesn't seem to work that way for me – takes me a whole week at least to get rid of the carb bloat and it doesn't result in more weight loss below what I was before the cheat.

Anyways just curious to know what your experience has been as I know you have been honest about eating grains once in a while.

7. Shel:

Well, I do exercise, and other than 4-6 rounds of 15 second all-out sprints every coupla weeks, I exercise only one hour per week at most, sometimes less. I do it in two sessions of 30 minutes, but quite often I stop at 20-25 minutes, 'cause it's plenty, and then, every few weeks I'll skip a session and every few months I'll take a whole week off.

But, I think one can get lean on a paleo diet without any _formal_ exercise.

8. Hmm, don't know how that date is a week ago, as I had the meal last night, posted last night.

At any rate, I doubt one meal, no matter how bad, would do much to derail a person's longer timeframe progress.

I rarely cheat with food. Alcohol? Another story, and I'm sure my love of scotch has slowed my progress considerably.

Oh, well…

9. Wow. Looking good.

10. Joe Matasic says:

Damn the booze. Whiskey and love of drinking red wine with dinner is definitely a big slowdown for me. After the wedding I'm in this weekend and my birthday on the 4th, I'm thinking of cutting it out for a couple weeks to see how the weight drops.

I would love to get some sprints in. Played frisbee at the beach last weekend and also had junk for lunch (burger w/ bun and chips) but didn't seem to gain anything like I normally would. Also going to move my lifting sessions towards heavier weights and shorter sets after this phase is over. I think another part of the problem is I still can't figure out who to believe on how much protein I need to build/keep muscle.

11. Impressive progress, Richard. You've got this Primal thing nailed; the results speak for themselves. Bravo Zulu, my man :)

12. Thanks, Keith. Means a lot coming from you which, by the way, I am really eating up those workout videos of yours.

Nice & short too.

I'm going to link them up in my next link roundup, in case not everyone knows they're out there.

We're at our cabin in the mountains and tomorrow I plan to do an improvised workout using protruding areas of the cabin, trees, fallen wood, boulder and so on. Perhaps I have the wife shoot some vid.

13. MikeHell says:

Hey now. That could be anyone's back, couldn't it? How do we know it's really Richard? Hm?

Ah, just foolin. You look great Richard. And I understand the comment about the booze. To be honest, I think I drink more now after 12 months on EF/paleo than I did before. I think I must be satisfying a craving for sugars, hence my taste for sweet wines. I know that on a recent 3 week trip from home, where I broke my daily routine of 2-4 glasses of wine, that I lost six pounds! And I didn't work out too much during those 3 weeks either. Getting away from the wine (and probably dark chocolate too!) was very good at disrupting an energy equilibrium that I had reached (and we know from De Vany that equilibria are, counter-intuitively, bad for health).

But it's hard to drop the booze. Wish I knew what else to say to help both you and me.

14. minneapolis J says:

Richard,
    spot on Richard. Intermittent Fasting also releases GH too. Since you are doing both, your maximizing growth hormone gain. Also….by working out only that often you are letting muscles recover and thus…preventing any possible chance of lean mass.

that back development is darn impressive, and so is the waistline reduction. you are leaning out quite a bit.

15. Right now I'm off it completely, looking to see what that does for two weeks or so. Been quite a while since I abstained more than 2-3 days.