Exposing the Cholesterol Myth

I probably get more questions about cholesterol than anything else. But cholesterol is not a problem to be managed. Your diet is to be managed, it should be a natural diet of meats, fowl, seafood, good fats (animal, coconut, olive), vegetables, berries & nuts.

Take nine minutes for Dr. Ron Rosedale to expose the cholesterol scam.

Tomorrow I'll post a couple of advanced lipid panels from readers for discussion.

Free The Animal is supported by readers like yourself shopping Amazon and CLICKING HERE to do so. Costs you nothing but sure helps out around here quite a lot. Always appreciated.

Comments

1. Great video with one correction: Dr. Rosedale states that statins do not modulate LDL particle size. This has been found to be incorrect. While they do not modulate them favorably (ie.. make them larger and more buoyant) they do modulate them unfavorably (ie. make them smaller and denser) if triglycerides are already low. See this post by Dr. B.G. Animal Pharm. http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com/2009/07/cre

• Thanks, Meat Head. Figures my good friend Dr. B.G. would be on top of
      that.

• Patrick says:

@Meat Head and @Richard

Whether or not statins modulate LDL is entirely irrelevant. Even if statins modulated LDLs favorably, who cares? LDL particle size and LDL levels in blood are a symptom/indicator of, not the cause of, ill health.

When I used to get migraines, before I quit wheat/gluten, some of the meds I would take favorably modulated the levels of pain I experienced when a migraine came on, but they nothing to address the underlying cause.

2. Simple cardioprotective food choices for those at risk of cardiovascular disease.
    Increase consumption of:
    Garlic
    Porridge Oats
    Oily fish – mackerel, salmon, herring
    Unsalted nuts, seeds

Fried foods
    White bread, pasta
    Nicotine
    Biscuits, soft drinks
    Excess alcohol/spirits
    Excess saturated/hydrogenated fats
    High sodium foods – e.g. bacon, tinned soup, pickles
    Table sugar – FOS (Fructo-oligosaccharrides) powder is an ideal substitute sweetener and valuable fibre source

• I actually agree with most of this. Just dup the oats & grains and
      replace with more meat and natual sat fats, and you've got a deal.

• anandsr says:

I am not sure if potatoes are really bad now. I am thinking that with fire, tubers would have provided our ancestors a distinct advantage. Tubers are found all year round, and can be eaten when meat is not found. They are also available almost everywhere. They can also be cooked over the ambers left after cooking the meat.

I would be surprised if humans have not been eating tubers for a very long time. I also think there would be no archeological evidence for it. Also most HGs known today were eating tubers. Kitavans are known to be healthy although they survive mostly on tubers. Our body is also very good at controlling the glucose, normally. I think this must have developed due to high tuber use.

Ofcourse tubers are not very great nutritionally, so they can only be an energy source. They would also be useful in keeping the protein content low in a completely carnivorous diet, if high fat meat is not found.

Tubers are high in easily digestible starches, which convert to glucose very fast, and then to fat in our body. This must be an evolutionary adaptation.

Modern people with insulin insensitivity may find controlling the glucose difficult, but for healthy people it should not be a problem.

If Tubers are part of evolution, it would explain the health of Kitavans very easily. This does not mean tubers are very good, but it does mean that Tubers are better than other vegetables. They are not better than fats, but they are a good substitute, for healthy people.

I think that Green leafy or fibrous vegetables would have had lesser impact on our evolution, for the most part because they are not found the whole year. But tubers are ubiquitous and available the whole year. They are also a concentrated source of food, although cannot be kept for long, after killing the plant. Humans would have discovered them very soon after learning to control fire.

• I've been leaning that way on potatoes for a while — though I use
        sparingly.

• Patrick says:

Agreed.

• rossbagley says:

So whole grains and oats are on the increase (good) list while saturated fats are grouped with hydrogenated fats on the reduce (bad) list. I'll guess that you like soy, too. It's a pulse.

Finally, the suggestion to replace table sugar is FOS (a double fructose disaccharide). When fructose is pretty much the worst sugar known for your heart (your liver directly converts fructose into serum triglycerides, which are one of the clearest indicators of risk for CVD).

Hm. Yeah.

No. I'm going to circular-file this and anything similar as “not very well versed in dietary science”. My advice back to you is: ignore the abstract, it's the data that really matters. I strongly recommend a copy of “Good Calories, Bad Calories” for a much more in-depth analysis of the real science behind diet.

• Hi Ross,
        Fishing out the FOS powder from the round receptical for a moment – Its worth noting that FOS is a prebiotic which acts like fertilizer in the gut to feed friendly bacteria,(probiotics). Lactic acid bacteria positively affect blood pressure and fibrinogen levels as well as having beneficial effects on LDL cholesterol levels. Lactobacillus plantarum in particular may help prevent atherosclerosis formation. Lactic acid bacteria ferment fibre in the large intestine and produce SCFAs (short chain fatty acids) including acetic, proprionic and butyric acids. Acetic and proprionic acids are absorbed into the bloodstream and become metabolised via the liver. Researchers have suggested these SCFAs improve glucose tolerance and inhibit cholesterol synthesis in the liver.

Butyric acid is also utilised by the heart muscle as oxidative fuel especially when oxygen flow to the heart is restricted, which may be the case if the coronary artery is occluded by plaque or constricted.

Due to its production of proprionic acid, supplementation of L.plantarum can also reduce inflammation and oxidative damage to LDL in the artery wall. Certain Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory (NSAID) medications such as Ibuprofen are derivatives of proprionic acid.

In common with other lactic acid bacteria, L.plantarum is able to deconjugate bile acids in the duodenum. Bile acids are water-soluble end products of cholesterol manufactured by the liver to aid with lipid digestion. During digestion, a high proportion of the bile acids are usually returned to the liver. However, if they are broken down by a resident population of lactic acid bacteria including L.plantarum then the liver has to synthesise new bile acids from serum cholesterol. This results in a reduction in the serum levels of cholesterol and less cholesterol is available to attach to rough areas in damaged artery walls, which would become foamed by the immune system in an attempt to quell the subsequent inflammation.

• rossbagley says:

Up to 5-10g daily, it's possible that the fructose would be entirely consumed in the gut and only minimal quantities transfer to be dealt with by the liver.

Except that FOS was suggested as a replacement sweetener for sugar, for which keeping the daily quantity under 10g is impractical. It's 50% as sweet as sugar, and 10g is about a non-heaping teaspoon. I'd barely notice half of a teaspoon of sugar in a cup of tea, and I'm extremely sensitive to added sugar.

As for acetic or butyric acid, season with vinegar, cook in butter. You don't have to wait for these to be synthesized in your gut, just add them to your diet.

Finally, as a general comment, you mention trying to inhibit synthesis of cholesterol several times as a beneficial outcome. It sounds like you haven't yet let go of the lipid theory of heart disease. I'm not trying to reduce the amount of cholesterol in my body. I am trying to make the LDL and HDL particles in my body larger (to reduce the risk that they would attach to inflamed/rough arterial walls)

• You make some excellent points here and I find myself onside with your comments. Where I think we can take this further is to talk about what causes the inflammation in the first place as witnessed by high C-Reactive Protein markers.
        Animals produce an enzyme that converts glucose into vitamin C in the liver. Could it be that we humans are suffering from a form of scurvy caused by insufficient amounts of vitamin C which in turn forces the body to use lipoproteins in cholesterol to repair damaged arteries? Thus, atherosclerosis in humans and guinea pigs (guinea pigs and humans need vitamin C in their diet whereas all other mammalian species make their own) is due to vitamin C deficiency. The body reservoir of vitamin C in people is on average 10 to 100 times lower than the vitamin C levels in animals…………..

• rossbagley says:

In a discussion about causes of inflammation, I will have to be the listener and not the talker, as my knowledge in this area is minimal. I know that the fatty acid composition of dietary fats becomes important, but other than a few sweeping generalizations (w-6 inflammatory, w-3 anti-inflammatory), I just don't know.

Vitamin C is odd, no doubt about it. I will admit (again) to being quite uninformed about it's interactions in the body. One observation that I have read is that scurvy is unknown in populations that eat entirely meat and/or dairy (aboriginal Inuit, Masai).

Stephenson did not supplement his 100% diet of meat for one year with any fruit, and did not suffer from any problems that could be attributed to low Vitamin C, despite the very low quantities of Vitamin C found in meat or animal fat. Scurvy only became a problem on boats when dried meat and fish rations were abandoned for the much cheaper hard tack biscuits.

The hypothesis for this? None so far. Perhaps high levels of dietary carbohydrates cause the consumption of otherwise untouched Vitamin C reserves. Perhaps…

3. worldvitaminsonline says:

Very informative piece. Thanks for posting

4. Excelent cholesterol debunking talk by Dr. Chris Zaino: