“Avoiding entire food groups is a mistake, critics say”

Oh they do, do they?

And it's really the best they can do, now, whenever The Caveman Diet gets any press. Of course, Chicago Tribune reporter, Anne Stein, does what your typical reporter reporting on things she's ignorant of does: she goes out for quotes from rent-a-experts, such that she, and by extension them, can maintain the silly little illusion that they know a single fuck about anything worthy of dietary attention.

They don't.

They're worse than ignorant, really. They're merely pathetic excuses for the status-quo bullshit we see every day, have seen for decades, and have see the results.

Oh, get this:

Dr. Joanne Slavin helped devise the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.

Well I don't know about you, but if I were Dr. Slavin, I certainly wouldn't be so slovenly about bringing up such a miserable and total failure, one that's directly at the root of obese and diseased America. And it's lackeys like Slavin and this guy, Dr. Keith Ayoob, who are the very root cause of this sort of thing. From that link, Denise Minger:

Are you as excited as I am? Can we live without bread yet? Leave the fat on our dairy? Ditch the rancid vegetable oils? Gobble down butter and coconut oil without fearing imminent death? By golly, has the USDA finally pulled its head out of the soybean fields and given us something useful, emerging as a reliable authority instead of a food industry puppet?

Nah.

Yea, nah. Not with the Whores of Conventional Wisdom like Slavin and Ayoob around. Just get a load of the same, tired, miserably failed dietary dogma.

...dietitians argue that eliminating entire food groups is a mistake.

The notion of "food groups" is utterly arbitrary. It's all just various forms of plant and animal foods...and processed derivatives. What they're not interested in recognizing is that Paleo cuts out the processed "food group." The entire fucking disaster of it. Ayoob:

In particular, whole grains and low and nonfat dairy are inexpensive sources of nutrients that are essential to good health. They point to the Mediterranean diet, which emphasizes grains, along with fruits, vegetables, fish, lean dairy and limited amounts of meat, as a proven way to decrease the risk of certain cancers and heart disease.

There are tons of different kinds of whole plant and animal foods that are "inexpensive sources of nutrients that are essential to good health." What's not essential is getting those nutrients from any particular food, such as grains -- which of course raises the question of why the emphasis. Slavin:

Grains are really cheap, and for the average teenage boy it would cost a fortune to do this (Paleo) diet," ... "Animals are a really inefficient way to get calories, and you don't need that much protein."

Oh bullshit! Anyone who says that "Animals are a really inefficient way to get calories" is simply a fucking moron worthy of immediate summary dismissal for life. Animal foods are the most nutritionally dense foods that exist, and because they contain natural fats as well, they are efficient for both caloric energy and pack the biggest punch nutritionally, ounce for ounce. It doesn't take a rocket scientist, but it clearly takes a lot more than a dumbshit nutritionist.

Ayoob argues that there's "a mountain of evidence for eating low-fat and fat-free dairy. People who eat dairy have better bone density..."

Nonsense. Flat out lie. Western countries that consume the most dairy have much higher rates of osteoporosis and hip fractures than do Eastern countries where dairy consumption is very minimal. So, who paid for this "mountain of evidence?"

Also, said Ayoob, people who eat grains enriched with folic acid have reduced risk of neural tube defects, including spina bifida. Fortified grains "are cheap and there's no downside," he said.

Don't you love this emphasis on cheap? Yea, that's what we need. Priority number one: let's eat "cheap." After all, it's only our bodies and health we're talking about.

At any rate, if you want folic acid, why eat something that has to be "fortified" (that's euphemism for "it was a weak pile of shit to begin with") when you can simply eat real whole foods rich in folic acid: liver, giblets, kidney, eggs, nuts, potato, sweet potato, spinach, beets, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, asparagus, banana, oranges, peaches. Du-uh?

Eliminating beans is another bone of contention. They're a cheap source of protein and have so many good qualities that it would be foolish to give them up, said Joan Salge Blake, a Boston-based dietitian and spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association.

"Americans are only coming in at 14 grams of fiber, and we need 25 to 30," she said. "Beans are a great way to add fiber and protein at the salad bar and in pasta dishes.

Again: cheap, cheap, cheap. She's cheap. You want a good source of fiber and quality protein as well, in a "cheap" package? Potatoes & sweet potatoes. There you go, and you don't have to soak and sprout them to mitigate all the anti-nutriens.

And they don't stink up the room. Hasn't it ever occurred to anyone ever that the fact beans are so effective at creating flatulence...that they just might not be such a "super food" after all?

The bottom line is that you don't need to eat any of this stuff: grains, dairy, or legumes. And in fact, there are plenty of whole, real food sources that are far superior. This is all just the typical whoreing ploy to get you to keep buying industrially processed crap-in-a-box. That's what they want, and it's why they do what they do.

We know better.

Tired of authoritarian, dietitian, lackey whores for the industrially processed food juggernaut? I am, and that's why I wrote this rant. Help out by sharing on Facebook and Twitter using the buttons up top.

Comments

1. I never know if I should be sad or angry. My only hope is that evolution will sort this out eventually: healthy people eating real food have healthier babies than fat people eating what the dietitians tell them to eat. So, in a few hundred years, they should die out and we will emerge healthier and stronger than ever.
    I’m really hoping vegans die out in my lifetime, but thats just a personal preference.

2. Richard, normally I’m skeptical of rage, but I have to admit- how else can one react to this stuff? So much deliberate misinformation. I dunno. But at least you can take comfort in the work you’ve done empowering folks to improve their lives. We just have to patiently keep plugging away- and try to fight this stuff as best we can.

3. Cthulu save us from the nutritionists and dieticians. It was a couple of nutritionists who tried to get Annika Dahlqvist’s medical license revoked for prescribing LC to diabetics a few years back.

Speaking of the whole cheap thing, I wish someone would properly lay that canard to rest. Don Matesz did some posts about it and I briefly looked at doing a Linear Programming cost analysis along the lines of the Stigler Diet Problem. If you look at the average grocery cart, the expensive packaged crap most people are buying could be more cheaply and much more healthfully replaced by visit to the butcher. How much beef liver and bones can one buy for the price of a home-delivered pizza? How much does a whole fryer chicken cost in terms of packages of Doritos?

• Sean, I plan to do a blog post on that very thing in the near future, although I’ve touched on it before – processed foods are, ounce for ounce, far more expensive than whole, plain meats, fruits and vegetables. And when you throw in the health problems that come along with those “healthy” grains and legumes, the SAD becomes even more expensive.

• Groovy, Jan, look forward to it. I imagine with all the paleo type bloggers out there it has been done and I just missed it, but it would be cool to see someone clearly document and photograph their food and shopping and the costs for a month or something.

• I guess it depends. To be honest, since I was (and still am, more for household stuff, now, though) a major couponer, my budget went up drastically since switching to a whole food diet. I do eat less now, and rarely snack, but since I was getting all my snacks nearly free previously and pasta/rice/starchy fillers for pennies, it has definitely made a difference. Actually, it has almost doubled my food budget, and even now I use coupons for frozen veggies, avoid buying pricey items like nuts, and only buy free range/grass fed about 50% of the time (and I stick with mostly whole chicken, ground meats and organ meats).
        In the long run, though, I can’t complain, because I have more energy, weigh less, and will hopefully save on medical bills down the road :)

• I should probably add that I still only spend about $50-55/week to feed myself and a ravenous toddler- so it’s probably not an average person’s definition of “expensive” ;)

• I’m sure it is more expensive to eat paleo than to buy bulk grains, but how many people actually do that? And what are the actual differences in terms of cost?

The offer stands for anyone who wants to document this for a month or so to write a guest post on my blog, or perhaps even a “real” paleo blogger like Richard would be interested :)

• Hell, I have a hard time documenting anything for a day, much less a month.

• Heh, Richard, I was thinking more that you might be interested in guest posting someone who documented their eating on a budget paleo-ish diet, since this is something that does seem to come up a lot and your blog is one of the vanguards of this thing we are all interested in, eating real food or whatever one wants to call it.

• Sure, good idea and I’d be up for that. Perhaps I could do a challenge post and ask for like 6 volunteers to track their eating on paleo budget for a month, submit results, and then I can do a post about it.

Would be best to get a range of budgetary preferences from Paleo on the cheap to money to moderate or lavish.

• To clarify, post on your blog, since your idea. I’d just do a linkup post on my blog.

Trafficwhore. :)

• Richard, my idea is really simple and you already have better takes on it, but I will be a trafficwhore and write this up tomorrow.

It really would be quite interesting to see this allegedly expensive diet nailed down in dollars and cents. I’m surprised it hasn’t already been done.

• Sean, this is your gig, your blog, so give me specs you want, I’ll get the rab lats if I can, and we go from there.

• OK, Richard. It’s on. I’m not sure where I’m going with this but hopefully it will generate some real world proof that eating healthy doesn’t have to break your budget.

4. Aaron Curl says:

I have been eating grocery store paleo for over a year. It costs me 25-40 a week for my food. I buy all real food. I would say it IS CHEAPER to eat paleo because I eat a smaller quantity of food now. Man made frankenfood is more expensive than meat period. And like I said before, you eat less food when it is nutrient and full of good fats.

• Aaron, you are welcome to take some pictures and write a guest post on my blog about this if you feel so inclined. It’s nice to have something to point to when people bring up this BS argument.

• Adam Landry says:

I’d love to see a list of what you buy. I find that the wife and I are spending close to $200 a week..if would love to see what we can improve on to get this cost down.

• Paul C says:

I tracked April for myself, my wife and 4 kids (2 teens): $1062 on groceries ($177 per person). This is with me 90% paleo, wife 50%, kids somewhat less. Some organic veggies and fruit, some not. Some grass fed meat, some not. Some processed food.

Grocery bill is somewhat higher than average because I’m in very-active mode lifting really heavy crap and running a half-marathon in 11 days, and 2 teens eat a lot.

One thing I have noticed — leftover macaroni and frozen pizza often gets tossed. Paleo meals either have no leftovers or the leftovers are eaten right away, with zero waste.

• Paul C says:

Just spotted a 30Bad thread on food cost. Seems the low end for low fat raw vegan is about $400 a month per person. Of course food cost depends on many factors, but an interesting comparison. Someone posted Australia cost much higher.

5. Liz Downunder says:

“Also, said Ayoob, people who eat grains enriched with folic acid have reduced risk of neural tube defects, including spina bifida”

This is just bullshit – either he’s been misquoted or this confirms he’s a moron. Neural tube defects are CONGENITAL, which means you’re born with them. I don’t know any foetuses who eat fortified grains, do you? I don’t know why men, women not planning children, or children themselves need to eat extra folic acid…yet it’s in all our flour now, unless you buy organic (or avoid it altogether, in our case). Yet another money-spinning scam that THEY should be ashamed of.

6. Jennifer says:

I agree with most of this, but this part:

Ayoob argues that there’s “a mountain of evidence for eating low-fat and fat-free dairy. People who eat dairy have better bone density…”

Nonsense. Flat out lie. Western countries that consume the most dairy have much higher rates of osteoporosis and hip fractures than do Eastern countries where dairy consumption is very minimal. So, who paid for this “mountain of evidence?”

Is that also considering the fact that the Western diet is so heavily grain and sugar based?

• Perhaps, Jennifer, but that’s not his point. His point is that low-fat dairy is protective, which it isn’t.

• Richard’s argument on dairy may seem counterintuitive to many, but it is supported by solid empirical evidence:

bit.ly/f1Pi3T

In the study above, relating protein intake to bone mineral density (BMD), calcium intake did not seem to be much of a factor. BMD gains due to animal protein seemed to converge to similar values whether calcium intake was high, medium or low. The convergence occurred as animal protein intake increased, and the point of convergence was between 85-90 g/d of animal protein intake.

• David I says:

What’s silly is this clinging to “non-fat and low-fat” dairy.

I don’t think the calcium matters, but I think Vitamin K2 matters a lot in bone health. (Also in cardiovascular health.) And where do you go for K2? High-fat, fermented cheeses, egg yolks, organ meats. All the places these clowns would tell us to avoid.

I’m a fan of dairy. But only full-fat, fermented dairy.

The Japanese, of course, get their K2 from fermented foods like Natto. Studies in Japan have shown that bone density is much higher in populations that eat Natto frequently.

For a general popular review of K2, try this: http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2008/mar2008_Protecting-Bone-And-Arterial-Health-With-Vitamin-K2_01.htm

I suspect that both dairying and fermentation go much further back in history than we have so far discovered.

7. I am careful to eat liver with frequency, and I also saute a big clump of Italian parsley in my bacon grease every morning (until it’s all crunchy and small – yum!) to get vitamin K. Since I started eating a mostly meat diet, I am at my healthiest.

• Phocion Timon says:

Amy:

Frying up the greens doesn’t kill, so to speak, the Vitamin K?

8. Mostly meat, and almost no carbs, that is, save for those few I get in a slice of cheese or a big serving of heavily buttered green beans or asparagus. P.S. Life is better with bacon.

Oh, and I barely exercise — I don’t have to to stay thin (Steve Platek, at the recent ev psych conference, told me I just need to do minimal stuff…a tiny bit of weight-lifting and a wee bit of cardio). Here’s life without bread, despite spending seven days a week mostly sitting at a computer: http://www.advicegoddess.com/archives/2010/06/28/la_press_club_a_4.html

9. Richard, only recently started reading your blog, and I love it. When I read such crap as the article you’re talking about I have the exact same reaction that you do—rage. I then go between wanting to spread the word of real health to everyone and not wanting to, figuring all the disinformation out there can help “thin the herd” (the anger talking). It’s tough knowing how simple true health is and then seeing articles like the one you talk about push people into greater disease. I fear the fight is just gearing up; today I had someone follow me on Twitter whose handle is “@FloridaCornFed.” After my eyeballs popping out in surprise when I read it, I had to rant at my screen. “They” are going to start pushing “corn fed” as a benefit? Really?? Well, I suppose I should not be surprised. The more real food/paleo diets gain attention, the more the frankenfood industry is going to push against it and push people in every way possible to eat subsidized, profit-making non-foods.

Time to keep our spears sharp & prepare for battle. Thanks for the great site.

• Thanks Sara. just call me Morpheus, passing the Red Pill around, freeing minds from the Food Matrix (or Pyramid, I suppose). Sorry, couldn’t resist. The wife unit is away and I did a Matrix marathon the other night.

Incidentally, corn qua grain is probably one of the better ones, like white rice. It’s the processed, concentrated forms that are the big prob. If you must have a tortilla from time to time, have an organic corn one, preferably made only with water and lime juice. Or, have a corn on the cob now and then.

• Hahaha you ROCK for that! The Matrix is my favorite movie, and I’m a bit obsessive about it, lol! I write about it & reference it all the time (even used to teach it…my poor students). Have you seen that video on YouTube called “The Meatrix?” Great stuff.

I apologize for not being clear enough in my first comment; when I mentioned the handle “FloridaCornFed” I should have specified that I thought they were a cattle operation promoting corn-fed (as opposed to grass-fed) meat, and that was what I was talking about them pushing “corn fed” as a benefit. Kinda like those commercials trying to say HFCS was “natural” and good for you. However, I went & looked more closely, and realized they’re just a line of clothing, lol. Whoops. My bad. But how about a “grass fed” fashion label? Or perhaps a “meat fed” one. Hmmm…

Again, love the blog. Free the animal, free your mind. :D

10. I saw this article (a friend sent me the link) when it came out. Total nonsense and I’m glad you did your thing with it. Cheapness shouldn’t be the primary goal, but you sure *can* cut costs when you eat real, nutrient dense food. My local grocery stores had whole, frozen turkeys for $0.99/lb and huge yams for $0.46/lb last week for an average cost of $ 0.73/lb. Throw in a bunch of spinach, kale or chard for < $2 and that's some good eating for not much money.

11. RobertJ says:

The problem is that certain food groups are powerfully represented by professional lobbys that put a lot of money into the dis-information machine that underlies this argument. They have significant financial incentive to do so.

I know a dietician, and you should see the garbage she receives in the mail from all the big grain producers that tout the latest ‘benefit’ of a solidly grain-based diet.

12. We need more articles like this. I’m not even a particular fan of scientific diets, but yours makes more sense than most. Maybe paleo is actually the opposite of scientific. I’ll have to think about that. I once made a video about butter called “Margarine Is Satan Spread” and you would not believe the kind of hostility I got on Reddit and elsewhere. I put a tiny squirt of agave nectar in a sauce I made for “Tequila Scallops” and people actually wrote me and said I was contributing to the spread of diabetes. WTF?

Our government is very self-interested in promoting the idea of food as a simple commodity, and the best thing you can do to it is process it to shit. All I ever try to do is foster an affection for cooking, a knowledge of food and an insistence that half the things you are told are good for (Healthy Diet Low-This and That from a box in the freezer) is absolute poision, and half the things you are told are bad for you are the best things you can eat. Sometimes it is overwhelming, deeply depressing and simply unpleasant to go up against the resistance to and ignorance of of this very basic idea. So it is very refreshing to find an article like this. I’ll be sharing it.

13. Somehow we got along fine for 2.5 million years before these modern “food groups” became popular. I wonder if Ayoob and his freinds know that cavemen didn’t have celiac disease, adult onset diabetes, obesety etc? These “cheap” foods might not be so cheap after all?

14. Ha! I wrote an equally enraged post on this article, except I picked on slightly different points. I think yours plus mine obliterates every single line in the article. Well done! (Here’s mine http://plumhealth.blogspot.com/2011/04/nonsense-and-illogical-arguments.html)

• Good job, Sabrina. I was going to mention that bit about the teenage boy not being able to afford Paleo as well, so glad you did.

And yes, the “eat too much” meme is crap. The question is about why? People don’t tend to overeat on meat, fish, fowl, vegetables & fruits (but careful of the nuts & cheese!).

15. Auntie M says:

Them: “Avoiding entire food groups is a mistake…”
    Me: “So, vegetarianism isn’t good, right?”
    Them: “No, it’s okay to avoid meat. Just not grains and beans.”
    Me: “But you said…”
    Them: “Shut up! We have degrees! We know what we’re talking about!”
    Me: “So if someone is allergic to wheat, they should eat it anyway?”
    Them: “If it won’t kill them immediately? Yes.”
    Me: *facepalm*

16. If cutting out a food group is no good then why aren’t we stuffing our faces with insects. That would probably be THE cheapest way to get protein. You don’t have to go to a designated area with a license and a weapon to kill them, they’re available in extreme abundance almost everywhere and they eat a pretty natural diet unless they’re eating our trash.

• I’m pro-insect consumption (cultivated worms and grubs). I don’t see why we shouldn’t consider all types of animal protein, where feasible. Insects give a lot of bang for the buck protein and nutrition-wise, and cultivation is easy-peasy and quite scalable without the risks of infection/contamination of equivalent-scale chicken, beef, or pork.

The bait and switch on ‘entire food groups’ is a maddening aspect of CW eating.

• Is it true that even herbivores eat insects (granted, not directly)?

17. Some important articles:

In the face of contradictory evidence: report of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans Committee –
    The Soft Science of Dietary Fats, Taubes – http://bit.ly/mIlQY6
    Why the Low-Fat Diet is Stupid and Potentially Dangerous – http://bit.ly/k6pd8d
    Low-Fat Diet and Chronic Disease Prevention, Ottoboni – http://www.jpands.org/vol12no1/ottoboni.pdf
    The Whole Grain Scam, Colpo – http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=852
    Cholesterol was healthy in the end, Ravnskov – http://bit.ly/lEbvUt
    The Role of Cholesterol and Diet In Heart Disease, Ottoboni – http://bit.ly/kZH7r2
    The Oiling of America, WAPF –
    Neglected Nutritional Research of Dr. Weston Price – http://bit.ly/jPTuP3
    The Protein Debate, Cordain – http://bit.ly/jD7tgV
    The price of protein, Brooks – http://bit.ly/gLnIyl
    On the ideology of nutritionism, Scrinis – http://bit.ly/kqff6i

18. Meat is too much protein, but giving up beans would be asinine, as they’re a great source of protein. Make sure you’re putting beans in your pasta dishes. I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen a pasta dish with beans, aside from green beans.

19. “Animals are a really inefficient way to get calories, and you don’t need that much protein.”

This line of unmitigated nonsense is brought to you by the bullshit artist who gave us such classic hits as:

“High fructose corn sweeteners do not appear to contribute to overweight and obesity any differently from other energy sources.”

and

World Pasta Day

A thirty-second Google search reveals that this woman whores out her MD for various grain industry lobbies. It’s amazing that the writer of the Tribune article felt it necessary to seek out someone this ridiculously biased when she could have gotten any garden-variety MD to shell out the same bullshit in far-less-obviously stupid fashion.

• Ha Brett, if those two links aren’t enough to conclude what a dirty little whore Slavin is, I don’t know what is.

• Johnnyv says:

“Dirty and little” is just excellent for whores thank you very much!
        You do prostitutes a great disservice by associating them with such awful people.
        Perhaps “honorary politician” would be more appropriate.

• Well you got me there, Johnnyv

20. Lots of good points.

The food group thing drives me completely insane. The food groups were not created to represent types of food we absolutely need, they were just things we eat grouped together based on any similarities they may have.

It makes sense that if we realize, “oh shit, some of this stuff we eat kills us,” it could lead to the “elimination of an entire food group,” because that’s really just a collection of foods that are similar to the food that we now know kills us (wheat).

Kind of confusing. I actually wrote a post on the food groups topic. Direct link by clicking on “engrevo” at the top of this comment.

Sorry to be plugging my shit, but it actually applies here.

21. I love how the article wraps up with a broad dismissal:

“The basic premise of the Paleo diet may be flawed too. Anthropologists say we don’t know what Paleolithic man and woman survived on, and they most likely ate whatever was available.”

Well, we can be pretty sure it wasn’t Lean Cuisine, Doritos and fortified breakfast cereals.

22. Brian Scott says:

Since when did Paleo emphasize lean meat and people in Crete make yoghurt and cheese out of skim milk? The arterycloggingsaturatedfat meme is heavy with this one.

23. Dave from Hawaii says:

IIRC from the WAPF research, the problem is not really “dairy” but the low-fat/fat-free dairy that is the real culprit for osteoporosis. Eating low-fat/fat-free dairy actually contributes to malnutrition because the vitamins stored in dairy fat are necessary for your body to process the dairy proteins. If you eat dairy for which the fat has been skimmed/removed, than your body must use it’s own stores of the vitamins to process the dairy protein. Over time, this leads to a depletion of those vitamins.

I highly doubt populations that consume high amounts of full fat dairy (traditional Swiss dairy farmers and the Masai for example) would show the same results in a statistical analysis of osteroperosis and hip fractures compared to countries in the West that largely follow the saturated fat hysteria paradigm and consume large amounts of low/non fat dairy.

Also, Richard, when it comes to corn tortilla, I believe there are two key things to look for – the tortilla does not have hydrogenated oil (most brands of flour and some corn tortilla now have it, that is how why they market the “low-fat tortilla” as “lard free/low-fat” . The other thing is to look for corn tortilla in which the masa has been treated with lime in the traditional manner called nixtamalizacion.

I agree with the paleo diet approach 100%…but I do not tell people I follow it. I like my full fat dairy too much (cheese, yogurt, sour cream), and mexican food is not the same without traditionally prepared corn tortilla!

• Trader Joe’s sells (at least in the San Diego area) tortillas that are made from only fresh ground corn, lime and water. They are incredible! The fresh corn smell just permeates the kitchen when you open a bag. Only 99 cents for a dozen!

• My nearest TJs is in Annapolis MD; I’m gonna check for these next time I go! I love plantain chips & guac, but sometimes I just gotta have some normal tortilla chips… Anyhoo, thanks! :)

24. Richard I sincerely love your rants. I just wish the dipshits you’re calling out would actually read this…

Either way, great read. Made me happy.

25. I butted heads with my niece today who is a nurse. She came by to visit me and my father.
    She just couldn’t believe I was going to eat one pound of sausage and four eggs. I was frying my sausage in real Amish butter. She about flipped out. “OMG”, your even frying the sausage in butter as well”, she questioned. I said sure, butter is the good stuff, then I carved off about 2 tablespoons and ate it in front of her. She was in shock and told me I was going to die of a heart attack. “That stuff is going to stick to your arteries and kill you”, she proclaimed. The best answer that came to my mind was I told her that he majority rule thought the earth was flat once to you know. She has that ‘know-it-all’ medical indoctrination instilled in her, and there was no changing her mind. Actually I really don’t care what the hell they believe anymore. But there’s a morale to this….

Before this happened, I was outside working the yard when she pulled up in the drive. I had my shirt off and was pumped from working. She hasn’t seen me in 3 months. Her first remark was, damn uncle Keith, your getting ripped. HA! Image getting ripped eating protein cooked in fat and eating chunks of butter. I am redeemed!

An hour later her and my father went to go eat dinner and you know what she had?
    Potato wedges fried in a transfat veggy oil and fired chicken. Go figure. A head nurse telling me I’m gonna have a heart attack eating butter and sausage! What can one say?

Great topic and cheers Richard.

• Is she in good shape?

• Early twenties and actually shes in very good shape. But, isn’t beauty only skin deep?
        How much better could she be is the question. Don’t you think?

• I ask because a lot of nurses overweight.

• What bugs me is that people with medical profession think they know it all – but actually most of what they do is learning stuff by rote. They don’t get proper scientific education.. I you study biology, chemistry etc you learn to interprete evidence, learn what a hypotheses is and stuff like that, and you learn of past models that proved to be false and where succeeded by slightly better models and all that stuff..
      But if you’re going to be a doctor or a nurse or anything like that, all you learn is some facts, without context, without anything..

• That’s why you have to play an active role in your own health not leave it up to others. I think doctors and nurses do the best they can.

• Rob Beyerlein says:

A major problem is that most nurses really aren’t able to think outside of the box. In nursing education, we get lambasted with pharmacology and pathophysiology, very little nutrition. All the critical thinking education is focused solely on patient assessment. A cardiac nurse knows nothing about oncology and vise versa. Worse yet, if you present data to them on something like saturated fat is a red herring, they just turn it off. The problem is that they are constantly bombarded with the CW BS and if they mentioned something new to a doctor, they’d likely get fired. I eat beef jerky and macadamia nuts for lunch usually, or those meatballs that richard makes, I always hear shit about how i’m going to die, when i start spouting off the research on cholesterol and fat, they tell me i must have read it wrong. Every time a nurse tells you something you know is wrong, remember that even C nurses who suck at pharmacology and science can still pass their state boards.

26. Dunno where else to post this… The latest episode of Top Chef Masters had the chefs cooking low-calorie versions of comfort foods for the contestants on The Biggest Loser. One of the chefs is Suvir Saran, who is a life-long vegetarian from India. In an earlier episode he expressed pride in being able to perfectly cook meat without ever having tasted it, and he just struck me as very well adjusted into our very non-vegetarian culture. Plus, he’s an absolutely amazing chef. So, I was really rooting for him. But, on this latest episode, instead of making a low-calorie version of the bacon cheeseburger that the contestant wanted, he made a vegetarian dish that was in no way an attempt to replicate a bacon cheeseburger. And, he delivered it with a scathing rant about the health evils of red meat. My opinion of him immediately flipped 180 degrees, and I hoped he’d be sent packing, even though I thought for sure that one of the other chefs would go home for making crummy food. However, as delicious as his dish was, it didn’t satisfy the tastes of the contestant, and it had zero references points to a bacon cheeseburger, so he was told to pack his knives and go. Funny thing is, for all his ranting about how red meat makes people fat, the guy, himself, is fat.

27. *angry*

I have no trouble believing that dairy can help with bone density BUT. There’s always a fucking but. BUT, you get NO BENEFIT from the minerals in the milk IF YOU CUT OUT THE FUCKING FAT. The stuff WAPF says about fat + fat-soluble vitamins = better mineral assimilation? It’s looking like that’s absolutely fucking TRUE.

So then you have these dipshit nutritionists/dieticians who have NEVER seen the above study or read any of the other evidence that WAPF talks about, going around telling women that low-fat or non-fat dairy is better because since the fat was skimmed out there’s more whey, which means there’s more calcium. And this not only fucks over the women being told this shit but also, guess who’s usually doing the day to day work of raising and feeding the kids. So the kids get fed this crap too. So they’re growing up with less than optimal bone health too.

And it’s only gonna get worse from here, kiddies. At least now they’re cluing in about the importance of vitamin D but as long as they keep telling us all to eat low-fat and we (as in the American public) keep going along with it, we’re never going to get the full benefit of D and, for that matter, because the experts go into screaming fits about cholesterol and keeping it low, we’re gonna have trouble making D in the first place, since it’s MADE from cholesterol.

And right now they are going on a hatefest against stupid fat-ass Americans who want to put CHEESE on everything. Guess what one of the best sources of K2 is outside of organ meats? What Americans eat organ meats anymore? I sure as hell don’t. Not proud of myself, just never acquired the taste unless it’s in something where I *can’t* taste it. But I like cheese. So I am lucky to be getting any K2 at all, and if these assholes have their way, full-fat cheese will be banned and there goes yet *another* fat-soluble vitamin we won’t be able to use anymore.

And DON’T get me started about beta-carotene. “Oh, you can convert it to A.” No I fucking CAN’T. And I’m not the only one by a LONG mile.

I swear, they are trying to kill us. They don’t have the nuts to sterilize us all to do something about world overpopulation so they’re doing it the sneaky way. The fat-solubles, incidentally, look like they have the greatest effect on fertility, too. Keep this in mind and watch what they do. It’s gonna get real scary before people finally rise up and kick the experts’ asses.

And I intend to be there handing out Paleo snacks to all the spectators.

• Dana, you read like a conspiracy theorist :) and while I think it’s just whoring and not conspiracy, you have the virtue of being right on every nutritional point so far as I can tell.

• Testosterone levels dropping, anabolic steroids are illegal. “Weak and passive people might not be able to rise up and kick the experts’ asses.” If there’s no conspiracy, its the best series of coincidences to pacify the people, get them dependent on drugs, and support massive corporations and government ever!

28. Galina L. says:

Recently I noticed that my local BJ food club sells 3 varieties of Kerry-gold cheese. List of ingredients was slightly disappointing – the cheese was made from a partially skimmed milk, but didn’t contain any coloring – it was yellow without it. While eating cheese, I just put a good amount of Kerry-gold butter back. Easy enough.It was not so stupid as a fat-free grass-fed buttermilk in the “Native San”. I told customer service how ridiculous it was.

29. Slavin, the General Mills lackey. When we finally come to our senses — probably not in our lifetimes — she’ll go down as one of the top ten science losers. IMHO it’s even less exuseable for somebody like her than say a Barnard or OZ. This clownette does research. She should fucking know better. I say she does but likes her Big Sugah kickbacks.

30. Hey Richard just shamelessly dropping a link to a movement in the making I’m involved with: Eat Paleo http://www.eatpaleo.info is the website which is still under construction. We hope to have a more comprehensive website up soon, including a FAQ which will explain more. Our purpose is to spread the word about Paleo and make it mainstream. We want to create a shift in public conscious toward paleo; a gotterdammerung of the grain and its priesthood.

31. Jeff Kiefer says:

I think that the osteoporosis argument is extremely weakened by your proof being an inaccessible Japanese abstract culled from pubmed. Do you have access to an English translation for others to follow up this observation?

• No Jeff. I’ll rest on my extremely weak argument, culled from PubMed. Thanks for playing.

• Jeff Kiefer says:

I wasn’t being flippant or coming from the 30 banana crowd, just genuinely interested in reading about this point. That is all.

32. Alex Thorn says:

As has already been mentioned in the comments, the premise of ‘food groups’ is a totally manufactured and arbitrary one. You can categorise foods in many different ways: animal/plant, protein/carb/fat, grains/dairy/meat/legumes, etc.

What is most important is delivery of essential macro and micro nutrients. Which foods are the most nutrient dense (PER GRAM not KILOCALORIE!) and which of those offer the most high quality, bio-available forms with the least anti-nutrients? If we use this yardstick, I think we will find meat, offal eggs and dairy (full-fat and minimally processed) will beat most plant foods hands down.

33. Alex Good says:

They’re trying to be like Socrates, but they forgot the food group he made famous, execution strength poisons.

34. Squatchy (Christopher Williams) says:

Hear hear! Well said sir, couldn’t agree more.

35. Grains aren’t cheap,

also, there’s no free lunch.

Grains might be cheap at the grocery store, but your already paid for those “healthy” whole grains directly from your wages.

36. Here’s cheap for ya. Wholefoods wrapped up and gave me 5 lb of grassfed Maui beef fat when I complained their chuck was too lean to grind a good burger. They said they throw away that much every day.

And one more time for the search engines. “joanne slavin MD nutrition research whore” She’s chair of the carbohydrate committee fergodsake!

37. Michael says:

Official-certified-dietary-expert-working-for-government says:
    ” “a mountain of evidence for eating low-fat and fat-free dairy. People who eat dairy have better bone density…” ”

really? milk has a low pH which means the body will use some calcium to neutralize it. My guess is that at best the calcium you drink from the milk just replaces the calcium used to counter the acidity, at worst you end up getting a calcium deficiency and weaker bones. And it’s probably worse with pasteurized low-fat dairy products.

speaking of official dietary nonsense & milk:

“A yearlong sting operation, including aliases, a 5 a.m. surprise inspection and surreptitious purchases from an Amish farm in Pennsylvania, culminated in the federal government announcing this week that it has gone to court to stop Rainbow Acres Farm from selling its contraband to willing customers in the Washington area.”

• Chese says:

Compared to your stomach acid, milk is damn near neutral. And guess what? That stomach acid has to be neutralized when it dumps to the small intestine no matter what you eat.

The pH stuff is nonsense.

38. As I’ve pointed out on blog posts before, the whole idea of food groups is made up. I don’t see insects in the U.S. Food Pyramid, but it’s certainly a valid food group.

Knowing the groups are made up, look at why grains are in the list of groups: They’re quickly grown and cheap.

I maintain that if we had discovered a tree that yielded strips of bark that were void of nutrition, but full of carbs, and the bark would grow back quickly so it could be harvested repeatedly throughout the year, we would have another food group: Bark.

And we would be admonished to eat our heart-healthy-whole-bark and avoid the artery-clogging-saturated-fats.

It’s all made up, folks. Humans love certainty, but gladly grasp the illusion of certainty. And the guys recommending the grains sure sound certain, don’t they?

39. “cheap.” Like that is a good thing? I guess you get what you pay for then.

40. Well, I used to be one of those folks who was really skeptical about cutting out a food group. It’s easy to equate cutting out grains/starches as cutting out all carbohydrates. I eat no wheat and few other grains nowadays (mostly paleo), but I still get in around 175-200 grams of carbohydrates per day. I’ve cut a food group, but certainly haven’t cut a macro-nutrient group.

41. Alex K says:

Matt,

Thats exactly what I was thinking. If you don’t like grains, or claim to be grain intolerant, don’t eat them. But claiming grains cause diseases in a high majority of people is just ignorant…haha… what a joke these people have played on their own minds….mindset is everything. Anyway, you are right, as long as you are not cutting out macro-nutrient groups out of your diet, you should be fine. These low carbers crack me up, can’t wait to see future effects down the road.

• I guess the mountains of evidence for the introduction of wheat flower to cultures and the subsequent destruction of their collective health doesn’t count as “grains causing diseases.”

• cliff says:

There is no mountain of evidence. When cultures introduce wheat to there diets they also make many other lifestyle and diet changes, not to mention that they usually just flat out replace nutrient rich dietary staples for plain flat bread.

• maybe thats a reason to not include bread if it replaces nutrient rich dietary staples.

• LOL “There is no mountain of evidence that cultures introduced to wheat have health problems, they have health problems because they’re replacing some food with wheat!”

• You don’t cut out completely a whole macro-group. low carb, mod carb they still include carb. I’ve seen enough studies to stay away from grains.

• Alex Thorn says:

Quite right. Most, if not all foods, contain some proportion of at least two macronutrients and many contain some proportion of all three. Even where carbohydrate content is minimal in an individual food, once you take into account a days intake of even a moderately varied diet (from just animal-derived whole foods) you will be getting a small amount of carbohydrates. ‘Zero carb’ is merely a convenient label to differentiate it from low/moderate/high carbohydrate diets that usually entail a daily carb consumption ranging from 50g upwards. Zero carb could also be thought of as another way of describing a ketogenic diet where daily carb intake is lower than 50g (usually sub 30g). However, I doubt it is possible to truly eat zero carbs. Having said that, there are no essential dietary carbohydrates, so anyone choosing to limit them as much as possible (as close to zero as it is practically possible to get) is not doing themselves any harm. Only protein and fat are truly essential dietary macronutrients.

• “These low carbers crack me up, can’t wait to see future effects down the road.”

That’s the bogey man that people like you always throw out, something bad is going to happen in the future … it’s a totally meaningless abstraction as we can only live in the present, you can try to live in the distant future if you want but I’ll stick with the here and now. If I look healthy and feel healthy today, I’m fucking healthy … case closed.

• What? Did you miss my point? Conflation of food groups and macronutrient groups is the problem. When most people hear ‘I do not eat grains’ they interpret it as ‘I do not eat carbohydrates’. That’s not the case. I too confused the grains as a food group with carbohydrates as a macronutrient group. No longer. I get a hefty 20-40% of my calories from carbohydrates (20-30% from protein and 20-60% from fat). I forgo starches as a food group, but get plenty of carbs in. That’s what I gather most paleo folks do.

42. Jessica K says:

I personally love the constant reference to CHEAP food. Ask Gary Taubes what he thinks about the link between poverty and obesity. Cheap foods make us fat!!

43. Dave K says:

An acre of grass can support 1 ram & 2 ewes that can produce as many as 8 lambs a year. If your yard is an acre or more you don’t need to buy a $2000 lawn mower resulting a net gain. That’s cheap food.

44. Fmr PR firm lackey says:

I used to work in PR for an group specializing in a field that was idiotically called “Consumer Health and Wellness.” In reality, my firm represented clients like C*nAgra and N*bisco = companies whose products cause the exact opposite of “health and wellness” for their consumers. Reading through this article, I’m almost certain that it came from a PR firm’s pitch to this newspaper reporter.

I wouldn’t be so quick to chalk this up to shitty reporting – to me, it looks like a real and insidious campaign by big business to defame the Paleo diet. If this REALLY takes off, they lose tons of money, end of story. If I were in their position, I’d be hiring PR firms to pitch the “Paleo is bad” story, too.

• Fmr PR firm lackey says:

Oh, and I almost forgot: along with these awesome clients, my PR firm was also hired by the Department of Agriculture to promote the 2010 Food Pyramid.

My conspiracy theory is really coming together here.

• Makes me happy to see that you say “used to”.

45. Tamara says:

it’s actually quite sad how many healthy living bloggers are caught up in this foolish knowledge as well.

Two that I read(from my days as a vegetarian when I was also trapped in foolishness) have had me wanting to bang my head on my desk. The first is a young lady complaining about how her bowl of oats in the mornings don’t fill her up. I suggested she drop the oats and just have a big omelette(without carbs, explained the whole carbs/insulin deal)…so she ate the eggs, but because “she can’t not have her carbs” she ate toast with it…and surprise surprise she got hungry a few short hours later, so she’s like, well that didn’t work.

Another posted about tracking your macronutrients and the comments got all off in on what proportions the readers eat, ect and 99% were carboholics shouting things like, “I NEED my carbs for energy!” Oh you do now do you? Last time I checked fat had the most energy of any nutrient.

Or, “my so and so relative who was obese/unhealthy/ect went on a low carb diet and then 6 months later died of a heart attack. it had to be all that animal/saturated fat”….of course it did, it couldn’t have been the massive amounts of grains/carbs/processed shit they’d been consuming for the past 50 years could it??? And furthermore, do you think for one second that if their relative had not tried a low carb diet and still had the heart attack, would they have blamed the diet? NOPE!

• Tamara says:

by blaming the diet I meant blaming the carb heavy/processed food diet

46. Perhaps that’s why we have the hcg and papa john’s ads for the site then?

We can eat the pizza, and then take hormonal pills that might give us mad cow disease to lose the weight! Awesome, it’s a great idea! *dripping sarcasm*

47. what about raw dairy?

• Couldn’t image not having raw cream in my coffee. Not all things neolithic are evil, just most. What we are somewhat doing here is mimicking the food group ratio of the paleo era.
      You want some raw dairy in moderation, then don’t sweat it, that is if it agrees with you.

• If you put it in hot coffee it is no longer raw. Raw cream is minimum $10.00 a quart and very hard to come buy in Wisconsin. Were do you get yours?

48. Amount of food group variety consumed in the diet and long-term weight loss maintenance.

49. Our food system is so backwards!

50. Dr. Loren Cordain comment on avoiding entire food groups (starts at 1h03min):

51. dennymack says:

One problem with experts is that they never say “I don’t know”. Once they give an answer (when they should have said “we don’t know”) they have to back that bad play.

I know all these people who have lost weight and look great while going paleo (or semi-paleo) and yet the recognized, board certified, on the national council, super orthodox experts have to keep ignoring what anyone who is paying attention has begun to recognize.

Besides, the food tastes better.

Trackbacks

1. […] the Animal discusses the concept of “cutting out food groups” as an argument against the paleo diet. Also, he discusses the link between sugar and […]

2. […] forwarding to my rant a week or so back, “Avoiding entire food groups is a mistake, critics say,” where there was this silly tidbit in the quoted material from Dr. Joanne Slavin, one the […]

3. […] For New And Expecting Fathers “Avoiding entire food groups is a mistake, critics say” The Tabata Method, Perfected 5 Things My Body Can Do Pretty Much the Best Protein Shake Ever […]

4. […] right. Them SAD people are never finished with their whining! They think there is no possible way someone can adapt to the Primal or Paleo WOE (Way Of Eating) […]

5. […] Food Porn, Real Food TweetYou know what they say — the "critics," that is: "Avoiding entire food groups is a mistake." Hand in hand with such unmitigated balderdash is the blank stare: "then what can I […]

6. […] com a pirâmide, passaram para um prato. Ao mesmo tempo, aproveitaram também para inventar novos grupos alimentares. Os quais são a coisa mais lírica que se pode conceber, por exemplo o primeiro grupo, […]

7. […] categorizadas de "low-carb", como a dieta do Paleolítico ou a dieta Atkins, em que se eliminam ou reduzem grupos inteiros de alimentos, como os cereais e/ou os lacticínios. Naturalmente que esta comparação nunca […]

8. […] categorizadas de "low-carb", como a dieta do Paleolítico ou a dieta Atkins, em que se eliminam ou reduzem grupos inteiros de alimentos, como os cereais e/ou os lacticínios. Naturalmente que esta comparação nunca […]