_ap_ufes{"success":true,"siteUrl":"freetheanimal.com","urls":{"Home":"http://freetheanimal.com","Category":"http://freetheanimal.com/blog-admin","Archive":"http://freetheanimal.com/2014/07","Post":"http://freetheanimal.com/2014/07/nobody-is-safe.html","Page":"http://freetheanimal.com/advertising-product-service","Nav_menu_item":"http://freetheanimal.com/2014/07/subscribe.html","Content_ad_widget":"http://freetheanimal.com/?content_ad_widget=widget-2-5x118"}}_ap_ufee

Freedom and Independence Shit for Radicals

Get this:

...That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States.

Alright, everyone can go back to sleep, now, because that document pre-dates the US of A anyway, so it's largely irrelevant and anyway, there's fireworks and BBQ later. And there's an election coming; I'm sure all this will get resolved.

...Last I checked, on just the federal level, the US code stretches over 50 volumes and 23,000 pages. They can't even count the number of federal criminal offenses, but some estimates range from 3,000 to 4,500.

Federal criminal statutes have multiplied to such an extent that it has become increasingly difficult to count them.

As a result of the increase, federal prisons now house more than 200,000 inmates, eight times the number 30 years ago, the Wall Street Journal (sub. req.) reports. And more people are in criminal jeopardy, often unwittingly, since increasingly the new laws do not have an intent requirement.

A U.S. Justice Department spokeswoman tells the Wall Street Journal that the number of federal criminal laws can’t be quantified. Studies have put the number at more than 3,000 and at 4,500.

...In other news, are you aware that the "Land of the Free" is the world's top jailer? Not only do we have more people behind bars in absolute numbers, but we incarcerate at a higher rate than any other.

Based on the latest figures from the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the Drug War Chronicle estimates that more than 530,000 people were behind bars for drug offenses in the U.S. at the end of last year. Drug offenders accounted for about 25 percent of jail inmates, 21 percent of state prison inmates, and 55 percent of federal prison inmates. The total number of people behind bars was about 2.3 million, an all-time record, giving the U.S. an incarceration rate of 724 per 100,000--the highest in the world, according to the Chronicle, which says we even beat out China this time.

Oh, well. Enjoy your holiday anyway, I guess.

In closing, a few quotes from one of those radicals, cited above.

The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.

That was TJ.

Comments

1. Let us not forget all of the FEMA camps built for no reason. Oh wait, Patriot Act and now the NDAA that allows indefinite detention with out just cause. Land of the????? not so free.

2. That’s what heppens when you privatise prisons… It becomes attractive cheap labour. The US is fucked.

one of many examples.. http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=8289

3. Trish says:

LEGALIZE IT

And whenever anyone whines about the horrible things that would happen if street drugs were legalized I heartily point them to all the horrible things that happen when people do legal drugs like alcohol and Vicodin NOW. People scream about how awful pot is but the most I or anyone ever did was sit on the couch, listen to music or watch TV and eat. It’s been my experience that the biggest asshole-inducing mind-altering substance is alcohol. Legalize street drugs and goodbye drug lords, hello tons of revenue.

• Robert Cooney, MD says:

Of course, one could just say no to all of the mind-/perception-/nociception-altering drugs altogether. That way the corporate pushers AND the drug “lords” get jack. But, hey, that’s crazy talk! So much good has come of being drink, drugged, and stoned!

Happy 4th,

Cooney, MD

• Anna K. says:

agree with Trish – “It’s been my experience that the biggest asshole-inducing mind-altering substance is alcohol.”

Ask any doctor in the emergency room – what causes more people to get there – alcohol or pot?

• CMHFFEMT says:

I’ve been an EMT for about 20 years and I can tell you hands down Alchohol is the winner.

4. Steve says:

It just struck me, and I realize I am probably behind the curve on seeing this: I just read an article yesterday talking about this very thing. A new study funded by the Department of Homeland Security characterizes Americans who are “suspicious of centralized federal authority,” and “reverent of individual liberty” as “extreme right-wing” terrorists. The founding fathers, if alive today, would all be on a watch-list. There would be secret subpenas issued to tap their phones, read their e-mail, search their homes. They could not get on a plane. And “they” can not understand how a normal person would not trust the government. What a fucking up-side down world this has become. We are probably on some watch-list just for discussing this. I am thinking of just personally considering this the last birthday of the United States, next year is the first birthday of some new, strange, alien nation. It is hard to pin-point an exact point when this happened, but for myself, the SCOTUS upholding Obama care seems like a decent enough place marker in time, though God knows there is plenty besides healthcare mandates wrong with this country, like the patriot act.

5. All of you are just talk…

6. They found marijuana in the body of the Florida cannibal. Drugged People are an objective threat. If one legalizes all drugs there should be absolutely NO punishment for people who shoot them down in public as long as medical examiner can prove drugs in the body. That’s the prerequisite for legalizing it.

Do drugs at home or at the club where it is allowed practice (club owner should communicate this with every guest) and have a friend with you.

That’s why you’re always at fault in car accidents when you were drunk driving.

Why is it that American are such Potheads anyway? You have whole series about it (Weeds, Breaking Bad) :D

• I’ve smoked my share of weed but I’ve never been tempted to eat anyone’s face.

• yeah, it still puzzles me. But you never know with drugs. I won’t take this risk in my lifetime.

• JohnC says:

Paul this is probably the most stupendously ignorant comment about drugs I’ve read in years. Congratulations for bringing the intelligence level down here to such a great degree, it makes even a poor wit like myself look better by comparison.

• Actually JohnC, ignorance does not reduce intelligence levels.

Just saying.

• Txomin says:

Strangely, neither does stupidity.

7. Anna K. says:

Paul, you are an idiot.

Drinking is a drug, any OTC medicine you took is a drug, never mind strong prescription medication. And don’t forget sugar is a drug , caffeine, etc.

And don’t forget that most of the killers and criminals do it without any drugs at all.

I can tell you from my personal experience that drunk people are much more dangerous to the society then pot people. I grew up in Russia with drunks all around me. And alcohol is legal.

And the dude who ate face was on Meth. It’s meth that causes massive hallucinations, not pot. And btw, most of meth is prescription medication resold.

Paul, use your brain please.

• What do I care what drugs they use if they attack me? Right now, if you use alcohol and violate another person your lawyer can argue for diminished responsibility (in my country anyway). It’s horrendous. So courts right now acknowledge the side effects of all the drugs, even the “harmless”, but use it against the victim in some cases. Do all the drugs you want, but take the responsibility for intentionally and temporally shutting down your mind.

Russians are men of a complete different streak. There are cultures in my country you better avoid talking to. Some Russians are one of them. They don’t need alcohol to be violent.

If you think sugar is solely a drug, you are reading too much one-sided scientific literature or the interpretations of it.

• A quibble, Anna K., but Rudy Eugene only tested positive for marijuana, not meth or “bath salts” as previously posited: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/27/2871098/mes-report-eugene-had-no-drugs.html

However, drug tests are only used for known substances – an unknown substance Eugene might have ingested could not be tested for, since no test would exist for it. It has been suggested that perhaps Eugene had other psychological issues which were triggered by some incident and caused his naked face-eating behavior. He also had a history of marijuana related arrests and a battery charge as a minor (which was dropped in court).

I agree with your argument that alcohol is far more detrimental to overall health and can cause outbursts of damaging behavior, unlike marijuana. If, and that is a big IF, it could be proven that marijuana triggered Eugene’s crime, it is still a one-in-10-million (if not a 100 million) case of marijuana-induced psychosis, but it will be all that is needed to make another Reefer Madness film and convince mothers everywhere that their pot-smoking baby sitters are confusing turkeys for infants and roasting babies in every other oven in America.

• Anna K. says:

Amy, unfortunately marihuana stays in your system longer then other harder drugs, so if he took them a while back and they fried his brains , there is no way to prove it.

and of course what you are saying makes sense, he could have other issues. Blaming it on pot is madness.

• Anna K. says:

Paul, you care because as you said yourself, some people are what they are regardless of drugs, so don’t blame pot for face-eating. Also, if some drugs are legal, make other legal and apply laws equally.

I’m sure they found glucose in his system, why not blame it for his face-eating. May be his blood sugar dropped dangerously low and he got hungry.

• Probably. So all the people in prison will still be there, despite legalizing all drugs. Right now there are a lot of prisoners of victimless crime. But if the number of inmates doesn’t decrase after legalizing it, then what? You can’t release criminals just to have nicer statistics.
      Again, I’m not blaiming the pot for the zombie madness. It’s like blaming guns for killing people. I’m just saying you shouldn’t just legalize it withouth proper laws to protect people in such cases.

And the comparisons to other drugs are invalid from my point of view. You take those harder drugs in an attempt to delude yourself. Im not a legal judge of what other people to, but I can judge morally for myself. The Majority of people take OTC Drugs to relieve from pain and improve health and brain function. I take my right to differentiate between those groups.
      And for the record, I do support the legalization.

• I am guessing that the face-eater also ate food, drank water, and had several other important things in common with more normal folk. Correlation is not causation. I know too many potheads (though I am not one myself) who have never been cannibals for your fear to make any sense to me.

8. Elenor says:

So, is everyone armed yet? (Well, not y’all in NYC, or SFran, of course, or or or…. oh wait! Where’s your liberty!?)

9. The book Three Felonies A Day explores the cumbersome and vague Federal laws and how easy it is to violate some code or other while going about your daily business.

For many years now I have come to conclude that Dunbar’s number and the underlying philosophy that we are not fit to live in such large societies if we expect to maintain a relative level of personal freedom. I don’t know what is best for other people, and others don’t know what is best for me, and yet every four years we do a dance to establish that we know what is best for everyone else.

I know murder and theft are unacceptable offenses, as are child abuse, especially sexual abuse, and rape. Non-injurious behavior by or between consenting adults doesn’t concern me – including drug use, until the drug use infringes on my own freedom from harm and passage. I don’t see why this is such a difficult concept for people to understand and embrace. What the fuck difference does the person I’m bedding or the drugs I’m taking make to anyone?

We have such a high incarceration rate because we prosecute victimless crimes and sentence people to ridiculous lengths to prove how tough we are on crime. We have a public school system that is increasingly resorting to handcuffing and arresting six-year olds and perfume-spraying teens for misbehavior that school administrators refuse to address, all in the name of expecting children to learn early and learn well that they must submit to violent, armed authority for any minor infraction. “Resistance is futile” is the lesson we are supposed to learn, and all of your acts and the impulses that come with merely being a human animal are unacceptable to the State. Boys are medicated at a higher rate than girls because our feminized, socialized school system cannot deal with their natural high energy and would rather see them as zombie drones than normal, exuberant human males.

The picture is not pretty, and is only getting uglier by the day. I taught high school Literature and History, in three separate districts with only slightly different curricula, and the words of the Founders are used only to demonize them as slavers who only wanted freedom for White men, the ultimate outcome of which is we can just disregard everything they had to say, throw out the intention of being a Constitutional Republic with a limited government, and move towards a socialist state that mimics a democracy. Cultural Marxism for the win!

10. Some pilot buddies and I had a fascinating discussion on this type of stuff last night. I love y country, and I am certain that it is the best combination of freedom and opportunity that exists on the planet at the moment, but it is by design doomed.

I’m not saying that in a hateful way! I think the U.S. has been the best government system created so far. But if you’re a software guy, or if you look at how self-healing stable systems work you have to realize that the days are numbered. Now’s a good time to go read about ZFS, bit rot, etc. Then look at our government.

We designed a system that would do nothing but grow. Doomed. If I told you I had this weird disease where any excess calories made me gain fat but my body was incapable of burning the fat to get rid of it, how long would you give me to live? 6 months? A year?

So I love my country (cuntry for you, Richard. Wink.) but by design it will experience a peak of productivity where there is a sweet spot of regulation, freedom, and high availability. Past that point, growing regulation will reduce productivity, and availability of resources will drop, further reducing productivity, and down it spirals. I am certain we are past that peak and in decline.

Can I save my country from that decline/death? No, I don’t think so. So what’s the value in even discussing it or thinking about it? For me, thoughts are only worthwhile if they’re intrinsically enjoyable or they lead me to take action. No sense in just bitching,it meets neither of those qualifications. I try to look at my options financially on a global perspective, and be prepared to find ways to thrive if the spiral steepens.

“No Cash No Fear” line: Ride the horse in the direction it’s going. If it’s dead, get off.

Someday a wild combination of people with varied backgrounds may design a self-healing form of government that borrows ideas from software and hardware design and development. Until then, every government will do nothing but grow and ultimately fail. I don’t cynically believe it’s just a problem of corruption, the flaw is in the system itself.

11. Martin Kilpatrick says:

Nikoley you bell-end, how about the next time you decide to start spouting off about “collectivism” and “socialism” (i.e. giving a shit about other people other than your own selfish ass), why don’t you check your facts you moron. Progressive socialized health care is not only more effective than your “personal responsibility” Yankee Doodle dog-eat-dog bullshit, but it actuallys SAVES your precious tax-payers money.

How about that you fucking deluded JACKASS

• Txomin says:

Nikoley is indeed an deluded asshole but you, my friend, have no fucking idea of what you are talking about.

12. Martin Kilpatrick says:

And by the way Nikoley, give the flag waving a rest mate. Freedom? You don’t even know the meaning of the word.

Real freedom is waking up every day without having to worry about whether you have enough money to pay for treatment if you get hit by a bus or struck by lightning. Freedom is having peace of mind. Now if you can’t handle freedom, if you don’t wake up every day loving the sweet smell of freedom, then why don’t you fuck back off to Russia and shove a turnip up your ass!

• Martin,

How much of your money do you own?

• Also, do you agree that violence begats violence?

• Fascinating, Martin. So for some reason you think people are out there “having to worry…” And what weird things to worry about.

I don’t wake up worried over anything. Why would you? And I certainly don’t wake up thinking “OMG, what if I get hit by a bus today!?!” Not high on my list of concerns.

Do you actually wake up worrying about these things? If so, I suggest a good counselor will do much more for you than socialized medicine.

When I was broke, unemployed, in debt, with the landlord calling the night before to tell me I was being evicted, I didn’t wake up worrying. Maybe that’s why all of those things are not the case today.

• Steve says:

What you are describing is security, not freedom. With freedom, you have no guarantee of security, but if someone can guarantee your security, they can only really do so by reducing your freedom. There is always a balance between the two. In order to safeguard me from the violence of others, I give up a bit of my personal freedom. The question becomes how much of one do you give up for the other.

• Hey Martin!

Welcome. Been a while since I had an ignoramus in comments quite at your level of ignoramus.

Laf.

Later, man. I may just dissect your psychodouche in a blog post in the morning, over coffee. We’ll see.

13. Simon says:

Laf:

http….

• Ha. Well, Simon, difficult to know what to say. I pretty much agree 100% on the first part of her post about cops and such, but she appears to be quite ignorant of what I actually advocate in terms of corporatism (that’s it’s just the other side of the same coin of state/force).

Trackbacks

1. [...] Freedom and Independence Shit for Radicals. What do you think of this post?Awesome (0) Interesting (0) Useful (0) [...]

2. [...] me use a word many readers are more likely to recognize and identify with: efficiency. I'll quote a recent blog comment from Martin Kilpatrick.Nikoley you bell-end, how about the next time you decide to start spouting [...]