_ap_ufes{"success":true,"siteUrl":"freetheanimal.com","urls":{"Home":"http://freetheanimal.com","Category":"http://freetheanimal.com/blog-admin","Archive":"http://freetheanimal.com/2014/07","Post":"http://freetheanimal.com/2014/07/nobody-is-safe.html","Page":"http://freetheanimal.com/advertising-product-service","Nav_menu_item":"http://freetheanimal.com/2014/07/subscribe.html","Content_ad_widget":"http://freetheanimal.com/?content_ad_widget=widget-2-5x118"}}_ap_ufee

Sin Boldly: An Amazing Burger from The Counter

I've become very "stay home and cook," lately—with quite a few foods posts lately to show for it. ...And tonight will either be a clam chowder or oyster stew, depending upon what I can source fresh when I head out in a bit.

I think it's been over 2 weeks since I darkened the door of a restaurant, and I'd recently been hearing a lot about The Counter, a gourmet burger joint where you fill out what you want on a clipboard and they come deliver it to you (locations). While you can get your burger in a bowl with greens, I can do that at home any time. So, this is a bit of a grain indulgence. Good thing is, when it's as infrequent as this, it really doesn't cause any adverse feeling.

You can get these burgers with a 1/3, 2/3, or full 1 pound patty. I opted for the 2/3, cooked to medium, which to me means pink on the inside.

While I was waiting for the burger, the server asked if I wanted anything like fries or rings. I asked how they do their rings, i.e., the proper way or with some sort of batter or breading (the improper way). I was in luck. All images can be clicked for the larger, hi-res versions (all photos via iPhone 5).

IMG 1278
Thin sliced, lightly dusted in seasoned flour, and quickly fried

The difference between a modest portion size like that with a mere dusting of flour and one of those monstrosities they serve in some restaurants with slimy, greasy worms inside of a huge layer of batter or breading is huge. You feel just fine after these—least I did.

While I like produce on a burger too, I opted this time to go the pure route. 2/3 pound burger (after cooking), gruyère cheese, dill pickles and red onion. That's it. No mayo, mustard, ketchup.

IMG 1279
Wait until you see inside

One option is to get a sauce with it, which they serve on the side (ketchup and mustard don't count as sauces). I opted for the "au jus," (which literally means "with juice," which is a funny way to ask for a consommé, demi-glace, or beef stock based sauce).

At any rate, I tuned it into a burger / french dip sort of deal.

IMG 1280

Told ya

That's cooked perfectly in my book. Very impressed, especially with the uniformity. That was pure sinful delight, eating that. If I end up sining once per week, I just may be boldly going to that same place over and over.

Comments

1. Richard,
    This is your problem. You can’t have a mindset of “grain indulgence.”
    I’ve been grain free for 5+ years now. I am sure that grains caused my alopecia areata recurring for 10 or more years. If I had an “indulgence” I might not see my hair dropping out until months later. Maybe I can have fresh french bread once every 3 months or maybe more. I’m not going to push it. It’s no big deal to live without grains. To me, your problem is that you’re a “foodie”, not quite Jamie Oliver (and he’s a fat inflamed bastard for his age), but you love to cook and feed people and get praised for your cooking as part of your social being.
    You still have inflammation problems, and you really should eliminate grains totally from your diet.
    It could take 4+ years to see the positive results.

• He has a problem and you’ve isolated it? Give me a break. What is this problem you’re talking about going to do to him? Shorten his life? Ruin it?

Live and let live. Let the guy enjoy food without trying to guilt him. Maybe that’s your problem — you go around judging people. He’s already calling is a “sin,” and now you want to put more guilt on him?

I’ll kick your ass.

• Hell, I saw the positive results inside of 2 weeks in 2007.

If you look closely at pics, inflam was fixed rapidly. Last 20lbs of fat, not so much. Admittedly. Your issues aren’t my issues and I would never presume to diagnose you, not ever.

• …oh, presuming you had pics to link to, which I do and you don’t.

• But I believe that none of us gain positive nutrition from grains.
        We are all poisoned to some degree. That could just be arthritis after 50 years of grains. Or it could be Chrohn’s disease at 30, etc. etc. Maybe I’ll have sunflower oil (it sounds so good) or pizza now and again. I know what I’m missing, there is nothing more satiating than junk food.

• “I’m sorry, I will never knowingly consume grains ever again. I don’t go with the “a little bit of what you fancy does you good” brigade.”

You see, Bill, thanks. Now I get to call bullshit on you. It pays to be careful.

Nowhere have I ever said is does you good–but that’s what you need to believe, right?–but instead, infrequently it does ME no harm.

Hey, send me a huge, very huge check and I’ll make sure every blog post from here out mirrors your experience instead of mine.

• I believe it’s a long term drip drip situation.
        How many times do you hear “it runs in the family”. All those ancestors ate grains and come to that lectins.
        On the harm front, as I mentioned, the alopecia doesn’t happen for months.
        I’m not talking about a bit of bloating, we’re looking at underlying inflammation and autoimmune reactions that don’t manifest for months and perhaps years.

Look at Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray going gluten free and thriving from it.

You’ve done it with your dogs Richard. Or do they get treats of pizza bread and burger buns too? Because it won’t harm them….

• Bill, do what you like.

Have I ever suggested you do otheriwse, ever?

• paleo police officer says:

“there is nothing more satiating than junk food”

Bill, that’s fucking bullshit dude. Junk food is quick and it’s cheap. That’s about it. Given enough time and/or money you’ll always find something that is both healthier and more satiating than junk food. Learn to cook like a pro and you’ll see what I mean.

Don’t worry Bill, I think the world would be a better place (for me of course, fuck everyone else) if we had more wheat nazis like yourself around. I’m all for putting the guilt trip on fat fucks that eat up “public” health resources.

• The satiating bit includes the fact that you just order it in with fuck all effort.
        Maybe I should have said that when my metabolism is fucked up by eating shite, I’ll eat more junk shite because I’m too fucked up but also starving hungry so I’ll just get my next hit of junk and get bigger and more inflamed.

• paleo police officer says:

Ok then. I read satiating as “to satisfy to the full”.

• But I don’t. Everyone I know, don’t.

Your experience is your experience. Sorry you can’t eat a burger now and then with a bit. Truly. Bit that doesn’t apply to me or most, and its just that simple. It’s also a far cry from many such burgers per week.

• I’m not buying that reasoning Richard. I can’t look at you and say this guy is a guru to follow. I could say that about De Vany or Kurt Harris, because their physiques reflect results. I would love Kurt to chip in but I won’t hold my breath.
        I have big respect for you, but I still believe you have a food orientated lifestyle that clouds your judgement on the effects of neolithic foods and the long term effects, even of small amounts.

• paleo police officer says:

Martin Berkhan eats burgers. Cheese cakes too. He’s my guru.

• “can’t look at you and say this guy is a guru to follow.”

I was giving you the benefit of the boubt but alas, you’re just one more stupid fuck of a moron I would not give a runny shit about.

Bye, stupid cunt.

• paleo police officer says:

I suspect your stupid fuck moron of a friend was trying to stage an “intervention” of sorts on your wheat consumption. I think interventions are fucked. Why intervene? Let cunts be cunts on their own I say. Time spent on your own life will always reap more rewards than time spent on another’s.

• Careful

I don’t like being upstaged, :)

2. To get back on topic here; yes, that burger is cooked to perfection! I can almost taste it.

3. That is one beautiful burger.

• Bob:

Did you find a way to protect yourself from defilement and damnation before you let out with that?

Your life may be at stake.

Bill is all up in arms over it. Those pictures really hurt him badly.

4. paleo police officer says:

Bill is right about one thing. If Richard wants to do better, he can. The fact that Richard chooses not to is entirely up to him. Bill’s mistake is to assume his value system is the same as Richard’s.

• SteamboatOperator says:

Not even that. You would have to define what “better” is in it’s proper context and whether or not it applies to the individual.

Is it better to lose those last 20 pounds but in the process give up some things which bring you pleasure? Says who?

• paleo police officer says:

Yeah. I agree 100% SteamboatOpertor. “Better” needs to be defined as a constant otherwise the whole value system becomes unsolvable. If we make “better” a constant, we can now price every choice Bill makes against a choice that Richard makes. In economics “better” would be “more money”. In paleo land, let’s call “better” “more ripped”. You could even put a dollar figure on better if you like. For example, how much would Richard pay to get ripped compared to how much would Bill pay.

• SteamboatOperator says:
    • I don’t think Bill’s necessarily wrong about how to eat for maximal health. I do think he’s a bit silly to pretend that he’s offering something Richard doesn’t know.

It’s pretty clear that Richard has done a cost/benefit analysis. (As everyone does about everything, all of the time…whether or not we take responsibility for it.)

5. Invisible Caveman says:

Richard,
    I enjoy so much of your content and have really gotten a lot out of it. Sincerely, I really have and if I could find a way to thank you in a more meaningful way some day I would/will.

I have to say, though, that the way you treat people is really shitty sometimes. My opinion, but Honest Feedback. And I don’t give a fuck any more than you do if you take it or leave it.

It’s just that it’s one thing to have a rebellious fuck-all attitude about the real motherfuckers (clown politicians, corporate parasites, or anyone on that neat little diagram of brands you linked to the other day) and another to treat random commenting Humans on your blog like dog shit. I mean sure, they are guests here and some can be more “cunt-ish” than others, but I don’t see how that invites hostility SOME of the time, and this is one of those times.

Again my opinion, but I don’t think Bill or anyone is “just one more stupid fuck of a moron”. It just baffles me Richard, for someone who busted out from the judgmental wacko cult like you did (I did, too) to be so quick to turn around and judge your fellow humans like you do. I dunno. A lot of times I just find myself cringing at what feels like a sudden drop in humanity on here.

Please don’t take me wrong though, I can only imagine how much fucking patience you don’t have left at the end of the day after some of the shit you put up with just to keep this blog running. And I have to echo what many others have said time and again which is that I think you bring something valuable to this freakish digital community of humans on the internet. That is, when you’re not ripping them to shreds over their ignorance.

Is it too much to ask just to maintain a certain level of basic respect on here? I’m not usually a fan of euphemisms, but is there not a more civil way to tell someone to fuck off if you don’t like or appreciate their comments or are just plain tired of jabbing with them?

I fucking love you, Richard…I really really do and I’ve never even met you, but as I mentioned earlier your blog has really helped me a lot, I’m just offering even more probably useless feedback here.

If you don’t give a shit and decide to reply back to me you can just say “yeah yeah okay buddy” or something like that and I promise I’ll actually know what you really mean.

Peace out.
    IC

• Invisible Caveman says:

Oh, and to clarify, sometimes MANY fully deserve to be ripped to shreds for their ignorance and I enjoy it as much as the rest when you do. I was just saying I don’t think everyone deserves it.

Also, I agree about the burger, it looks delicious and as a celiac, I’m very jealous.

• paleo police officer says:

+1. Richard’s treatment of Bill was way out of line I thought. I also think Bill’s views are a bit wrong headed but his intentions were damn fine. Good intentions always leaves some room for kindness in return in my book. But it’s not my book (blog), it’s Angry Dick’s!

• SteamboatOperator says:

It’s a good look for the blog I reckon.

Now, would Richard conduct himself in the same manner if he was face to face with Bill?

That’s the nature of the internet and anonymity. No perceivable threat.

• SB

Anonymity?

Anyone can find out where I live with little effort. Recently, in a dispute on reddit, I put out my home address and cell number. I got a call, too, within a few minutes. If Bill wants to see me face to face, it’s an ask away.

• SteamboatOperator says:

So are you saying that if some anonymous person engaged you in discussion face to face and came off in the same manner that Bill did, you’d tell them to their face to go fuck themselves, call them a cunt, etc?

• I’ve told more people to fuck off to their face than I can count.

I always say exactly what I think, to anyone and everyone. You can ask my family.

This whole rotten bullshit about saying what I say only because Im on the Internet is just that. I’ve been doing this for nine years, anyone can find me who wants to. I’ve challenged people to come see me face to face dozens of times, and I’ve given people my phone dozens of times and I told people dozens of times to give me their number immediately and when they do, they get a phone call in five seconds flat.

Your alls’ problem is YOU are pussies, don’t project it on me,

• IC

I cringe at myself often, if its any consolation.

I just never try to second guess myself. One time, I’ll give someone everything I can politely, and another time, something just sets me off.

All I can say for myself is I’m always wiling to be judged on what I do and I know very well that plenty get fed up with me.

I do deeply appreciate your obvious concern, fwiw to you.

6. paleo police officer says:

Anyway, fuck all you fat paleo cunts. I’m off to the gym and then I’ll treat myself to a fucking nice slow cooked medium rare t-bone steak.

• There you go. I’m looking forward to Monday already. I’m thinking of kicking the DLs up to 240-250. It’ll be a while before I get back to 325.

Just and FYI, but since the milk deal and 400 cal deficit per day, I’ve put on 3 pounds, and pants are looser. Bod comp continuing to improve.

This will be fun to blog eventually and Im loving all the comments saying what a fat fuck I am.

• paleo police officer says:

I’ve upped my milk too since your post. Nowhere near your level though. I ‘boost’ mine with taurine and leucine supplements for a post workout muscle feed. I can honestly say recovery is much better. Don’t know if the supplements help any but as long as I feel good doing it, that’s fine with me.

Re: Bill controversy: Is there another blogger that can get 43 comments with a photo of burger? That’s why we keep coming back. The controversy. They say they hate it, but they love it!

• ” Is there another blogger that can get 43 comments with a photo of burger? That’s why we keep coming back. The controversy. They say they hate it, but they love it!”

Sheesh. I know, huh? And that was pretty much just what I call a throwaway post. You can never predict.

• Well come on, the cunt-throwing, the violence, the hostile taunts and foul languages, the infamous Burger Bun Imbroglio. Is like any minute anybody to get the shiv! Of course it popular! Jesus God, every post like episode of Sons of Anarchy!

• Unlike many others, I know my place.

7. Ha ha moo ha! Oh human, you never fail to bemuse Cow. Who else but you makes for such imbroglio over tiny burger bun?! …Okay, maybe honeybadger, but still, only you makes it so delightfully Shakespearean!

• paleo police officer says:

I swear if I ever get my hands on you cow, there will be the biggest, beefiest BBQ anyone has ever seen.

• Wow, so you wishing to murders me and feast on my remains. Just because I point out absurdity of Burger Bun Imbroglio. That very rude. Very rude.

8. blahblah says:

“One laughs at a bun that never felt a leaky gut….” :)

9. Good looking burger. Rings done right. That’ s how rings get done in clam shacks and roast beef places in the Boston area. Totally agree, no batter.

Ham sandwiches, fried breaded liver with a side of fried potatoes, burgers and rings; none of it sounds like get lean food. I think of Richard as a the Richard Simmons of the paleo movement. Richard Simmons was always chubby but I’m sure he helped lots of people out.

the thing I like about the blog is you never really know what you are going to get. Anarchy, liver, ham sandwiches and cold baths. Plenty of fuck you, you pathetic fucks to go around.

I am curious what do most days look like in the diet of Richard Nikoley? What do you eat day in and day out, how many indulgences do you have a week?

funny thing, I just had burger myself so I don’t judge.

• My issue is more likely the entertaining and being entertained I do, and the alcohol calories. It’s not the food. Indulgences are pretty rare. The liver isn’t “breaded,” btw, it’s dusted with gluten free flour. It has been at least 4 years since I had a sandwich jambon beurre.

My archives are replete with honest to god paleo dishes but there’s millions of that stuff out there now, with all the cookbooks. So, I prefer to blog the more unusual.

• I know it was gluten free flour. It looked like it had a crust in the pics. It still probably holds the oil more than just pan seared liver, and ups the calorie count. Just seemed like a meal that would be easy to take in bunch of calories.

keep the unusual coming, that’s why I come around here.

• You should try going gluten free with your booze.
        I confess to drinking too much red wine as my only alcohol source.
        I never gain weight, whereas beer piles the pounds on. Or did when I had last, about 5 years ago.
        I don’t even like the taste anymore.

Is “v” banned? I see a post was pulled, or didn’t make it onto the board for some other reason.
        I received as a “comment made” by email.

• v is not banned, but I pretty much delete every post she puts up.

My creed is simple. Put up some valuable stuff for other commenters, that buys you the right to fuck with me if you life.

Her bill is way overdue. So I just delete every single thing she posts.

She’s a stupid cunt going way, way back and I don’t give a fuck about her, nor does about anyone else.

• I understand your stance on v.
        My point is that being gluten free has value.
        I’m 58 and starting to see my generation start to break down with various maladies. Obesity is prevalent, but not in all.
        I don’t want to go into a tirade of examples, but I sincerely have come to the conclusion that the vast majority of human beings have varying degrees of gluten intolerance.
        I don’t want to eat and drink foods that I’m “tolerating”, I want to consume what is nutritious and makes me thrive.

Jimmy Moore finally seems to have found a lifestyle that is helping him. I assume he’s metabolically damaged by his past diet. I really wish him well but he’s going to have excess skin issues that he probably will need surgery to sort out. He’s totally gluten/grains free and seems to have dropped that fucking substitution obsession. Gluten free stuff that pretends to be as good as the real thing.

You’re not metabolically damaged. Let’s assume your shoulder problem could be exacerbated by an intolerance to gluten. If you totally eliminated gluten for a month and there was improvement, would you continue and say after 6 months the problem had gone way, would you have a binge on bread, or would you hedge your bets and carry on being gluten free?

Don’t substitute, just drop it from the list.

That’s my stance. Whether it’s valuable is open to debate.

Peace, as Pat Condell always says….

• My shoulder problem is an intolerance to #325 DLs or #135 standing presses, no bumping cheat, all for reps.

• If you exceeded your capabilities when you’re hang gliding you wouldn’t be here to blog. I envy the enjoyment you get from that activity and your prowess.
        I don’t believe that it’s the level of stress you place on your shoulder, there are underlying problems.

• What you happen to believe is what you happen to believe. What I don’t believe is how anyone can take so much stock in what they believe about others they don’t even know, and from a blog, no less.

• Messed my shoulder up with too much time on the computer and a push-up challenge at work. Presses are what fixed it for me. Very rigid attention to the form from Ripitoe’s starting strength. Took about a month, but pain free now.

• I’m open to that. So for right now, it’s light, getting that muscle memory back in my right arm shoulder. Pulldowns, for the very weak bicep also helping a lot, so far. Those I do substantially heavier.

10. We have The Counter here in Naples FL and I have been there twice. Both times have had nothing but awesome food. I personally went with the gluten free bun option and sweet potato fries. Au Jus is great too.

• Hmmm, I didn’t see a gluten free bun. I’ll have to check next time.

• Yea its on the bottom you can choose what kind of bun you want. I think its $1.50 extra but fuck it. You can’t go there and spend under $20 when eating like a man anyways.

• Kristina says:

I was just going to observe these comments, but…

I CAN GET ONE OF THIS MADE FOR ME HERE IN FLORIDA?!

Sold.

(I’d totally just make it myself, but there’s something about paying someone else to do it for me that has appeal.)

11. I don’t recall ever having onion rings “the proper way.” Just dredge in flour and fry? Seems simple and “paleo” enough.

• Exactly, Todd. Now, a nice, thin light crispy beer batter can be nice but, you can even use a non-gluten flour, but be sure and season the flour–salt, pepper (especially). Cut the rings thin, about 1/8 inch. And I guarantee with a reasonable portion like that you won’t come away thinking, FUCK, what did I do? I feel like shit.

• As I like to have onion rings with steak, I will have to give this a try.

Now if I can find a baked bean substitute.

12. I really enjoy your blog, but I am also going to laugh when you get fat again.

Trackbacks