Crickets – The Ultimate Truly Paleo Snack?

Got these off the counter of a local convenience store the other day.

CRICK ETTES
CRICK-ETTES

I had not the slightest trepidation in trying them out. They were tasty, with a nice texture too. On travel around the world I've eaten all sorts of unconventional stuff (by Western standards). I recall big, deep fried locusts (grasshoppers) in Thailand. Salted, they were basically like Lays Potato Chips and you can't eat just one. I also had some sort of big-ass fresh water beetle where, when you peel off the shell on the back, texture of the meaty meat underneath was basically like shrimp.

When you think about it, eating bugs in palatable ways totally oblitterates and leap frogs the whole vegan handringing bullshit about "sustainability"—which is of course bullshit on its face anyway (see Allan Savory). But why argue with idiots and morons? Just tell them that the combined biomass of ants, termites and krill dwarfs the combined biomass of all mammals combined. And how expensive—and what sort of footprint would be required— to farm & harvest them for food in all sorts of concoctions?

Here's the macro-nutrition info for the crickets, from the label:

• 9 calories for 1.4 grams (6 calories per gram, 113 calories for a 4 oz portion)
  • 1g fat for 1.4 grams (0.7g fat per gram; 70% "animal" fat)
  • 0.2g carbohydrate for 1.4 grams (0.14g carbs per gram; 14% carb)
  • 0.5g protein for 1.4 grams (0.36g protein per gram; 36% protein)

As you can immediately see if you're paying attention, the macros add up to 1.7 grams, but the package portion is 1.4 (oh, well; so much for labeling accuracy). Anyway, though, you see this is high fat, very low carb and moderate to high protein (60/30/10...ish...F/P/C). Nothing listed as to vitamins, minerals or phyto-nutrients and my emails out to birds, reptiles and fish have gone unanswered.

Of course, with the flavorings, there's plenty of crap in these boxes per the ingredient label— but there certainly doesn't have to be. Imagine a true paleo version that's flash roasted, sprinkled with some dried spices, and packaged. There's an idea for some of you Paleo snack food entrepreneurs out there. Or, a variety of bugs could be farmed, harvested, and used in other preparations. The possibilities are pretty endless. And so is the supply.

Comments

1. Guest says:

This is where the human race will have to go for quality food. (Not surprising, since I think it’s a big part of where we come from.)

• Luke Terry says:

“This is where the (lower socieconomic stratum of the) human race will have to go for quality food.”

There, FIFY. I’m gonna eat ungulates as long as I have the money, time, and energy to do so. Mostly because I like the taste of ungulates, and I like to give business to people who properly raise and process ungulates, and I like to chase after wild ungulates myself, for fun and caloric succor.

2. Eddie Mitchell says:

Jeez Richard looking at your thread title I thought you had ate what was left of Buddy Holly’s band.

3. Tatertot says:

I would have no problem making insects a large part of my eating if they were available and I knew how to prepare them. The coprolite studies show they were consumed regularly by our ancestors.

Crickets and grasshoppers were standard bar fare in Korea when I was stationed there in 94.

Reality shows like Survivor make eating bugs seem gross, but I think they could become normal food with a little marketing skill. I mean, who hasn’t ‘eaten the worm’?

4. Luke Terry says:

If you’re going to DIY this stuff, make sure you cook them well. Crickets and most other edible insects carry a LOT of pathogenic bacteria, even parasites. Consider that they eat and live in dung, among other things, and their simple immune systems are not set up deal with such robust pathogens, but to simply accommodate them.

Personally, I prefer megafauna for my protein needs, though I’ve had a few well-prepared insects before. I think of bugs not necessarily as food, but what my food eats (game birds, for example). Also, bugs eat plants that I could eat. Thus animals that eat bugs that eat the plants that I eat are good.

5. Austin Pitts says:

Would these be safe to snack on? Fluker’s 1-6-Ounce Freeze Dried Crickets http://www.amazon.com/Flukers-1-6-Ounce-Freeze-Dried-Crickets/dp/B0002DRJDG

6. Alexander P. says:

Well, I see nothing wrong here. I’ve eaten other arthropods, that pretty much look like insects. Small segmented legs, small eyes, antennae, exoskeleton. I refer to shrimp. I’ve caught and prepared my own shrimp, out of the sea, so they are as “nasty” as insects. Yet considered a delicacy, which they are. Especially with salted molten butter. mmmm. Crabs are bigger, but also arthropods. Heck! I’ve eaten much more primitive animals, such as molluscs, and I loved it.
    There are many more delicious animals and organs that aren’t viewed as human food in a lot of industrialized countries. Fried pork testicles, fried beef brains, marinated pork ears (goes extremely well with beer). Ok, now I’m hungry. Bye!

7. tatertot says:

Now Sisson’s into crickets!

Trackbacks

1. [...] Crickets – The Ultimate Truly Paleo Snack? | Free The Animal I think I would stick to bacon – thank you very muchie __________________ 1st time iHerb users – get 10% off using my code – YAQ580 [...]