Tatertot Tim is Far, Far From Your Average Pussyman Metrosexual Hipster Poseur. Photographic Proof

He can read hundreds of studies in full text, write intelligently about them, pierce his finger endlessly, and help change the world.

And he can kill a moose for food in his spare time, too.

IMG 1146

So, this morning I'm lamenting my plot in life as the world's worst hunter, spending a week in camp in a prime hunting spot and not even seeing so much as a hair.

I go out to my garden to pick the last bit of kale for a morning smoothy, and who's there ahead of me, eating my last few heads of kale? Mr. Moose. I put an end to his kale thieving ways and fill my freezer with some grass-fed...err...kale-fed prime steaks!

He's a yearling bull, the most tender meat on the planet!

IMG 1150

Heart and tongue cooking as I type this.

I posted this a while back, but the non-pussy, non-metrosexual, non-hisper but total shaming fuckhead gets serious fish for dinner, too.

fish
Halibut, Bass and Goldeneyes

Dismiss him if you like. He came to me with his ideas on resistant starch, in completely serious sobriety. I bit. I made a bet he was right; that there was really something to it and that it was profound in a missing link kinda way, because it made evolutionary sense to me. As I wrote posts and read studies myself, and got familiar with the logic, he made of himself a tireless collaborator in every comment thread, answering hundreds of questions. He never complains.

But if you dismiss him, just do it at your own peril. I placed my own bet he was right; I've been all in for months, laffing as people talk about new ways to get butyric acid by eating cubes of butter. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but your colon and its colonocytes will starve of butyric acid and other saturated, short chain fatty acids, even on a 100% butter diet.

I only wish I had something with which to raise.

Comments

1. doogiehowsermd says:

Nice. I’m assuming you got him in one shot? I say that because I’m guessing he’s lying in the very patch of kale you caught him munching.

2. OK, I’m in…got the Bob’s Red Mill. What’s your rec for a newbie starting off? One heaping spoonful a day?

Or more?

3. He took a few steps and it was over. Perfect shot. About 30 feet away. I never feel good about killing anything, but the meat can’t be beat. Usually when you get one way out in the backwoods, by the time you get it home it’s covered in hair, dirt, leaves, etc… and you end up trimming away a lot of good meat. Getting one in the back yard is a whole different story–virtually zero waste.

This does not make me the ‘great white hunter’, I’m actually kind of ashamed of such an easy kill, but l am a meat hunter first. I don’t know how the guys that hunt for trophies and leave the meat can live with themselves.

4. Do you think this resistant starch trick would help with skin issues too

5. Resurgent says:

PLUS 10

6. Nice job Tim,enjoy that meat!

7. CatherineakaCate says:

Very nice!
    Putin would have taken his shirt off though
    next time

8. Wolfstriked says:

Killer catch TT.Quick question……you guys were speaking omixing PS and some other powder.Was it tapioca starch?

9. @Cate – lol. My fiest thought when I saw this was, ‘this is my Putin moment’.

@Wolfstriked – Tapioca starch hasn’t been so widely studies as potato starch, but everything points to it being the same % as PS…roughly 60-80%. It’s the about same price, I have been mixing the two, hoping it appeals to a wider variety of gut flora.

@tp – never read anything on skin issues, but so many things happen because of what happens in the gut, so who knows.

@Carl – my recommendation is always start with 1TBS/day or so, increase by 1TBS weekly, don’t exceed 4TBS/day. 1 or 2TBS every couple days may be a good long-term amount. Try to eat lots of RS rich foods, too. Take a 3-5 day break every couple months. This is all just pulled out of my butt–there is no set amount or anything, just what I and others have done.

10. tatertot, thanks for the reply. Did my first 1TBS tonight, will follow your protocol.

Is it odd that I’m looking forward to the fartage? What can I say, I was once an eight year old male. :-)

11. james london says:

“james london” must be a metrosexual hipster ;-) Sadly too old to be a hipster at 48…

You two make a great team.

Been on 40g of Bob’s a day for a week. Going to up the dose as not noticed much apart from the weird dreams (not the rude kind sadly).

I’m a believer, but this is a recurring theme for me: trying gut-fixing strategies and not getting much effect. Am already on a litre of homemade kefir a day. Been paleoish all year.

Symptoms I want to fix are asthma (quite mild, not allergy driven), endless phlegm/coughing and general crappy mood/fatigue (all as of 2yrs ago), and lovely stinging sweaty bum (1 yr).

Have no GI symptoms to speak of which sometimes makes me think I’m looking in the wrong place, but what other place is there…? Had plenty of blood tests to rule out other things; doctor prescribes symptom fixers (inhaler, bum cream) – am ok with that but want to do better.

And if I had “normal” gut flora, judging by others’ stories these doses (especially 1ltr kefir) would produce more of a reaction. Makes me feel my gut is a bit of a quiet place (don’t have a scientific word for that).

Anyway I will be patient and am excited about RS especially that it might help “deliver” the kefir further…

12. bornagain says:

@ Carl. The farts are pretty neat. Unlike regular farts, they do not leave skid marks in your underpants so your wife/girlfriend won’t complain about doing the laundry! They might complain about the noise though.

13. John Taylor says:

FYI: Tapioca Starch is $0.22/lb. FOB Bangkok

14. Long time lurker, great fan. Lots of weight here to lose but on an initial paleo diet (veggies+meat+fat) should I skip all starches, including RS, as I’m still in that “broken” stage of my metabolism, or could I benefit from a bit of RS, even a couple times a week?

Thanks very much!

15. CatherineakaCate says:

tatertot // Sep 27, 2013 at 22:24
    @Cate – lol. My first thought when I saw this was, ‘this is my Putin moment’.

;)

I might try PS when I have a hiatus from flying (no bathroom up there)
    ONLY because I am borderline low thyroid (found out when I went <50 gm carb but Jaminet told me to add back 50 gms, bingo)
    damn, 2002

16. golooraam says:

Hi IAmMe

I’m far from an expert, but am a long time reader – but my (minimal) understanding is that RS serves as an energy source for your gut bacteria – hence you can have a keto meal (the one I have planned today is a 1lb ribeye seared in tallow with some brussel sprouts and sea vegetable salad) with several tablespoons of RS and it won’t kick you out of ketosis – but for a low carber looking for fatloss I am less concerned with ketosis as I really am trying not to do anything to cause net fat gain versus fat loss

note – I am totally on board with Richard that one has to still watch their calories but what I have found for the last few days is that I am totally stuffed on 1500 calories total a day – which is amazing…

17. tp:

On the issue of skin, see here:

Resurgent // Sep 24, 2013 at 21:26

I would like to add a personal anecdote to this discussion – for whatever it is worth.

My wife and I have been Primal/Paleo and then typically PHD (Jaminet) eating philosophy over the last 4 years. Good results generally overall – My wife had rosacea that triggered with Sunlight, that went away about 70% since we changed our eating habits, strong sunlight still caused an eruption on face/arms.

3 months ago we started to add PS to an evening cup of milk kefir. Almost within a week she cleared up whatever little spots she had on her due to previous exposures to strong sunlight. The other day, she involuntarily exposed herself to strong sunlight for over an hour – usually this would cause a reaction – this time NOTHING. Encouraged, she tried it again – seems RS (PS) has solved this issue for her forever.

I must add that probiotics are not new to us. We have some home grown and fermented veggies, kefir, kvass on a daily basis – and we regularly supplement only with Vit D and magnesium, and infrequently, fish oil.

I think what we feed our micro-biota is crucial to our health, both mental and physical. We are a host to the life forms in our gut and they decide the hosts well being.

18. Thanks Golooraam. I’ll stick to the typical template, get my a$$ back to the gym (only walking now), and at least a couple times a week supplement with RS.

19. @IamME – Here’s some advice from a ‘manly man’, which usually doesn’t go very far in a woman’s world, but for what it’s worth…completely avoid ALL added sugar, flour, and vegetable oil and keep carbs under 100g/day until you are within about 15 pounds of your goal weight. The carbs you do eat until then should be nearly all from salads and a daily serving or two of rice, beans, and/or potatoes–not sugars. When you hit the dreaded plateau, up your carbs to 100-150g/day by eating another serving or two of potatoes, rice, or beans.

I would also recommend using some potato starch while on a LC weight loss diet of 1-2TBS/day, and make sure the beans, rice, and potatoes you eat are prepared in a way to have the most RS they can. Once you up your carbs, target even more RS foods and decide then if you want to keep up with potato starch. Also, during all this eat some good probiotic foods every day (kefir, yogurt, sauerkraut, etc,,)

Get a copy of the Perfect Health Diet and tweak the amounts to suit you. Paul J. is in the weight-loss business now–check out his latest blog: http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2013/09/perfect-health-weight-loss-retreats/

20. @James London – I wouldn’t be so quick to go over 40g, or 4TBS/day. Even people with great gut flora can’t process that much, in fact going less might ven be better–like to 1TBS a day.

Raad this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC526391/ This study found the sweet spot for lipid oxidation was 5g/day, and an icrease to 10g per day had no more impact than 0g per day! This was presumably a short term study on people just starting out with RS–not long term users.

Food for thought.

21. Sorry for typos….need an edit function!

22. Wolfstriked says:

Been having slight gas and also dreams that I wake up to remember.The dreams itself are amazing in that I NEVER remember dreams and haven’t for decades.Last night I was being attacked by American Marines in a truck and for some reason I was Taliban.All I had was an AK47 but the enemy was smart and kept a speed advantage,not allowing me to get off precise shots.I woke up suddenly and just layed there smiling and content and thinking WTF was that?!?!Is that the RS…..I Just dont know.

On a side note and off topic….just watched the F1 movie Rush.Its an amazing piece of work!!

23. Thanks Tatertot. Yeah, I’ve been trying to avoid the ketogenic rabbit hole although some great ideas I with it, but trying to keep my range between 50 and 100g carbs, although when I stick only to non-starchy veggies, I’m at the low end (only so much spinach I can stomach a day). But this means I look longingly at burgers and doughnuts, often caving in. Will try not to be scared of beans, potatoes, or rice anymore.

40-year-old man in Canada, so your advice will definitely be applicable to me. :-) Started reading PHD last week, and it clicks with me and seems to fill in the missing pieces in paleo for me (although the smart guys like Robb Wolf don’t mind starches in the context of performance).

24. @tatertot I desperately need to edit as well, especially from a phone..

25. Hi Tatertot – what’s your plan for 63 year old woman who should needs to lose 80+ pounds? I’m srsly needing something.

26. I seriously flubbed my last comment about this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC526391/

They didn’t use 5g – 10g/day, they used 5% – 10% of total carb calories per meal as RS. This equates, if my math is correct, to a sweet spot of about 10g/day with 20g/day having less effect.

So basically about twice the US average being just right for maximum fat oxidation (a good thing).

Keep in mind, that’s all this study looked at–not insulin or anything else. But still shows a smaller dose was better. And it probably is, especially when starting out.

27. Wolf

We saw Don Jon last night. Fucking funny as hell. Rush is next on my list.

28. Since discovering RS, my kitchen has become a laboratory. I decided today to concoct some kind of banana chocolate ice cream. I chopped up three unripe bananas and froze them for several hours, then mixed the banana pieces with 3 tablespoons of potato starch, sugar-free cocoa, and some water in the blender. The result was more like a smoothie than ice cream, but it tasted pretty good. I divided it into three servings. I want to do some additional experimentation to see if I can something with a texture more like ice cream. However, before going any further, I just want to make sure that I am not losing the resistant starch from the bananas by freezing them. I know cooking the bananas would be a no no but is there any reason to think freezing them has an effect? Tim, if you see this, would really appreciate your expertise.

29. @IamMe – ’40 year old man’, definitely don’t do LC for long. Cycle it if you must, but don’t get caught in the ‘low is good, lower must be better’ trap. Play with FitDay and see what 100-150g of carbs in beans, potatoes and rice look like–you will be amazed how much you can eat for not that many calories. Also, skip breakfast 5-6 days a week. That worked wonders for me in appetite regulation and weightloss–I still do it. I eat at 11 and 6, rarely have a snack–just two big meals.

@Cathi – ’63 year old woman’ . I’d give you the same advice. No added sugar, flour, vegetable oil. Don’t snack, moderate carbs, read Perfect Health Diet. Try to get good probiotics and some RS. Women are always so much different than us guys, though. We usually respond real well to advice like this…ya’all got them funny hormones working against you. I think the best advice I’ve seen given to ladies is to follow health markers like cholesterol, blood pressure, thyroid, glucose and get them all under control and learn to be happy with some extra padding. The term is MHO (Metabolically Healthy but Obese), you may not like it, but being metabolically healthy is more important than being rail-thin. If you fix gut and all those markers are in line, and you exercise a good bit, and you are eating the right food, what else CAN you do? I guess there’s HCG or bypass, but I’ll bet most who go that route don’t do all of the above or have unrealistic expectations what they need to look like.

30. Jeff – one thing I have been doing with yummy fruit mixes such as that is to make popsicles out of them. Nomnompaleo had one that had strawberries, banana, pineapple and coconut milk blended together. That 2 cups made 8 popsicles. Yesterday I made a smaller number of them with whipped cream and bananas. (not sure if I should be bragging about that one but it was good. And slower to eat than Ben & Jerry’s).

31. @Jeff – Plantain Flour cookie dough. Figure on 20g per 1/4 cup. Make however you want and eat it like cold cookie dough.

We bought a Cuisinart ice cream maker last summer and were making real ice cream with very little sweetener (none if it was just for me) and adding potato starch and guar gum.

If I’m in a hurry, I mash a banana in a bowl, add a bit of milk and potato starch and a handful of frozen blueberries and some cocoa powder (and granola if I want a crunch).

Buy some green plantains and slice and air dry them. They turn out like Saltines or Graham crackers depending on if you use salt or cinnamon.

Just saw your real question: Freezing bananas will not hurt the RS, it will increase it.

32. Tater— nice moose and love love the kale story lol

james london –

my children and i used to have asthma and though paleo and fiber/RS are fantastic, it’s not enough in my experience with people with asthma. the root causes of the asthma epidemic are deep, deep. gluten free is good but not enough either. the gut is extemely deeply damaged for many. i wish RS would be enough but the great majority because of mercury, heavy metals, pesticides, GMO Bt corn and other crops, processed soy protein, etc. you needs to live as often as one can in the wilderness…. like Tatertot!! the gut is the immune system and in asthma, skin disorders (bum skin) and brain, the gut is perforated and diseased which debilitates the immunity.

what helped my kids to get off inhalers (which didnt work anyway) was
    — vitamin D til blood levels sustained were 60-80 ng/ml
    — lots of omega 3 (high quality, high potency — 6 caps daily)
    — mag and zinc
    — stopping all allergenic foods

we do home crafted sauerkraut and i would say it has made a difference because we seem to get sick less often.

for allergenic foods, the top five most allergenic foods are soy, corn, dairy, gluten and nuts. i have clients stop all five for one month then re-introduce one by one later and monitor for reactions (bloating, skin acne etc, mood changes).

have you read about functional medicine?

grace

33. Grace

I was never “Paleo King” as you’ve referred to me for years, but anyway, Tim really deserves that title.

I’m quite happy with Paleo Court Jester. :)

34. Wolfstriked says:

@Richard,you will really enjoy Rush,race fan or not.Actually,I was set to see Don Jon first but Rush caught me by surprise at last minute and being a racing fan….

35. Wolf

That would have been my pref, but I had Bea in tow and were there at the right time and she had picked. As we’re in line, email comes in from her dad, giving Rush a 9. NOW she’s ready to see Rush. Blood….

36. …Plus, Niki Lauda has to be about the coolest name imaginable.

37. well….. Queen Bea is still queen…!!

38. @Richard – court jesters mocked the authorities, spoke truth to power. I can’t imagine how that is applicable in your case. :)

39. Tim,

I was doing some numbers on rs content of the Hadza diet, from tubers and legumes.

The percentage of total cals from tubers and legumes is pretty constant year round, around 15-20%, of total calories (approx 150-250 cals). A couple of months of the year, when fibrous berries dominate, it is less, and a few months when game meat drops off it is higher.

At 40-50% rs for unprepared raw tubers straight out of the ground, I put their rs at around 15-20g daily.

Adding 5-10% rs to carb intake for a 1800-2000 cal, 50% carb diet, would be around 10-20g daily.

40. Iamme

mystifier completement

41. Wolfstriked says:

Funny thing is that while his name is kool he wasn’t….or was he??He was lacking in looks,very strict anal retentive type who comes across as an asshole to the world compared to the free loving,funny,handsome,amazing in bed James Hunt.And yet I became a huge fan of his by the end of the movie,and James Hunt both.

42. Wolf

Thanks for the spoilers, because my biggest mystery was if he was good in bed. :)

43. Wolfstriked says:

Speaking about hunter gatherer tribes who ate/eat mainly starch based foods,are they actually eating high fat diets.There was word of gorillas actually eating a high fat diet a couple of months back with the claim that gorillas digest the leaves they eat into fatty acids.Now peeps stumble on RS in humans and how its digested into fat.Is it possible that hunter gatherer types are also actually eating high fat diets?Is the diet TT proposes THE DIET??

44. Wolfstriked says:

Ouch,sorry I thought you knew their story already though I doubt it changes the movie in any way.

45. “Speaking about hunter gatherer tribes who ate/eat mainly starch based foods,are they actually eating high fat diets.”

Even if you counted rs as “fat” it is not likely.

For L2 mitochondrial ancestral populations — estimate 20-25% fat intakes, max. More likely 15-20%.

just don’t tell LCHF “paleo” diet “gurus”.

46. LeonRover says:

Rich ? “Paleo Court Jester” ?

Mmmmm, yeeeessss, only if Jester describes Lenny Bruce.

Is sunnovabitch worse than muthafucker?

Sláinte

47. james london says:

@tatertot thanks – won’t go higher than 40g and may come down a bit

@grace thanks for your advice – am familiar with many of those but good to know what worked for you and your family.

Mold as an asthma trigger is a tricky one because I live on a boat!

48. Finally putting my crockpot to good use (lamb curry)…question on the potato starch. After I divvy up my food across various containers and let it cool a bit, is that when I can add a slurry of the potato starch to each and let it cool, or is it okay to put it in a bit earlier in the crockpot and have it cool later with everything else. I seem to remember that in some startches, the RS is gone if you cook it too high, and while slow cookers in general aren’t super hot, they may be hot enough.

49. “when I can add a slurry of the potato starch to each and let it cool, or is it okay to put it in a bit earlier in the crockpot and have it cool later with everything else.”

The safe bet is to introduce potato starch when temp is 140F or less.

50. Lauda has balls of carbon steel. This from wikipedia: “…Lauda is perhaps best known for being involved in crash at the 1976 German Grand Prix at the Nürburgring, during which his Ferrari burst into flames and he came close to death after inhaling hot toxic gases and suffering severe burns. However he recovered and returned to race again just six weeks later at the Italian Grand Prix. Scars from the injuries he suffered have left him permanently disfigured…”

51. @tatertot: Very nice! The shot may have been a gimme, but all the better for food.

The closest I can claim in my backyard is catching blue crabs off of the dock. I’d like to kill the Muscovy ducks, the scourge of my pool, but discharging firearms here hugely illegal. And many neighbors around the bayou would see my butchery.

52. MsMcGillicuddy says:

I’d like to add onto TT Tim’s excellent weight loss advice. I’m a woman and lost approx 80 lbs through a combination of moderate to low carb eating, exercise and intermittent fasting (2 days/week).
    When I added fasting to the plan, things really kicked into high gear.

53. Tim, congrats on the nice kill. Next time use an atlatl to make it more paleo and sporting, and ease your guilt.

54. gabriella kadar says:

Okay, you guys are starting to entice me into giving this Bob’s Red Mill potato starch a try. I just don’t want to be farting all over god’s creation. I fart very little, just before a BM. So trumpeting my supposedly good gut biome doesn’t really make me feel like doing the snoopy happy dance. But fine. I’ll start slow.

Ya see, unlike some, I don’t burp and fart infrequently. I’m happy with that.

I’m just going to mix the stuff into water and down it like a shot. I’ll just conceptualize potato starch as a form of medicine. Maybe take it with magnesium, that way all the gross stuff happens at the same time.

I don’t have blood sugar probs. But if the TMI slides out imperceptibly that has a certain appeal. I’m going to be having blood work done in December for thyroid and cortisol and other stuff like glomerular filtration rate. So I’ll be able to get a direct comparison between pre-RS and post-RS. Body temperature is normally normal. Goes to 37.8 (feels like shit) after major physical exertions. Right now 36.94C.

But unlike some people, I eat to live, I don’t live to eat. I don’t bother going to extra trouble to make yummy yummies. I cook my own food from fresh or fermented ingredients. Don’t like cheese. In fact, one problem is I do not have a salt hunger even though my cortisol is ‘not stellar’. I’m trying to get that up and maybe adding the potato starch will help with it. I’ll definitely let you know the changes in blood test results (if any). BMI is 26.

Swimming in a chlorinated pool dissolve my lips (the ones on my face)! Anyone have any suggestions besides Vaseline which ends up getting washed off.

55. tatertot says:

@Gabriella – can’t wait to see your results. I’d love it if you also tracked your body temp, maybe like a once a day morning temp every now and then.

You’ll find you don’t have to ‘down it like a shot’, it’s not unpleasant at all. If I’m in a pinch, I put it in a big glass of water, stir it, drink, stir some more, drink, it settles out pretty fast, so you have to keep stirring as you drink. You have to mix it with quite a bit of water, it turns into a crazy non-newtonian fluid if you have too little water. It’s fun to play with in that state.

If you are worried about breaking wind, start with 1TBS a day, up it once a week until you are at 3-4TBS/day, but there’s no evidence you’ll need that much. I think it’s cool to work your way up to 4TBS, then back off to 1-2 a day or like 2-3 every other day.

It seems to me that it takes your gut flora about 3-4 weeks to make a big change and then it sort of levels out and is rock-solid after that.

Do you guys realize that outside of a bunch of studies, we are probably the only group of people in the entire world who is consistently getting more than 15g/day of RS? Even the slow-carb diets that have lots of RS only get up to about 5-10g/day (potato salad anyone?).

56. gabriella kadar says:

Right then, tatertot: with your instructions I will start tomorrow.

My employees are also on board so I guess possibly we’ll all be farting and have to educate the patients that our effusions are part of a scientific project.

Maybe I’ll mix the potato starch in yoghurt then.

Temp. tonight sans RS = 36.84 C

57. La Frite says:

@Tatertot: you said

Allow me to disagree, it tastes like shit … mmm, no, not really like shit, but like ground chalk diluted in water … I disliked it the first times I tried, my throat would hardly open and accept that stuff in. But it’s been a week since I tried again, and this time, still tasting like chalk, but going down no problem. Yes, it settles very fast so be sure to stir it and mix it with a lot of water. I do it before bed time and I have experi3enced no fartage at all. But I must say that I eat RS rich foods quite regularly. I started to do this on days when I don’t eat RS from foods. I have been sort of “glutenized” a few days ago and usually, I react badly to gluten because I don’t eat it at all (it’s been ~ 2 years) but a few rare occasions happened and that nuked my guts for 1 or 2 days. The PS supplementation seemed to have remedy the issue with the occasional gluten poisoning … that’s I think a great observation by the way!!

58. tatertot says:

@La Frite – lol; I don’t relate to that at all. Last night I was in a bit of a hurry, so I mixed 4TBS in about 1/2 a cup of milk, stirred real good and drank half really fast, then stirred a bit more and chugged the rest. I thought it tasted just fine. Kind of like a milkshake. I used to do whey protein powder in one of those fancy shaker bottles–I think potato starch is waaaaay easier to drink than whey protein.

Not knocking you, just think it’s funny how people react to different things. I can’t see how people can swallow raw eggs, either, but some love them.

As to what you are saying about the gluten connection, read this: http://bodyecology.com/articles/is-your-low-carb-diet-causing-thyroid-issues#.Uk2RnFMatc1 if you read between the lines a bit and connect a few dots, I think that it seems the real problem with gluten is a leaky gut. Eating lots of RS repairs the gut lining, tightens up the leaky areas (known as crypts and gaps), and should lead to a better tolerance for eating gluten. Win-Win. Not sure if I’m brave enough to experiment with wheat yet, though!

59. gabriella kadar says:

@tatertot: went out and bought two bags of Bob’s Red Mill PS. Came back to work, mixed 1 tbsp. with kefir in a little (rinse and spit type) cup. Mixed up okay and went down JUST FINE.

Staff were claiming to be on board yesterday. Are being cautious today….. (read this out loud to them. They are going to do it later today.) LOL! Solidarity.

Assistant has HbA1C 6.2 in January. Had new test done last week (after supposedly eating better)… we’ll see. If it’s still high or higher! then we’ll see how PS works out for her.

60. tatertot says:

@GabKad – So cool you got others on board. My A1C went from 5.5 to 4.9 over 3 months of increased RS. I know that BG is not the be-all end-all to better health, especially the short term BG blunting we are boasting about, but when you can reduce A1C, I think that says a lot.

Also, try mixing the PS with yogurt. You can mix quite a bit in a small amount of yogurt. Also, mix it with sour cream to put on a potato. We make home made ice cream a couple times a week, and that always gets a big scoop of PS, too.

61. I actually like the taste of potato starch mixed in water. But plantain flour? gagalicious. I’ve got some tapioca starch, but haven’t tried that yet.

62. Tatertot says:

@kate – I feel the same. The only thing I found to do with plantain flour is make cookie dough and eat it raw. Then you can’t get enough of it!

63. To tp… About skin issues. Check out November 13th Marks Daily Apple post about a new book on healing all kinds of skin issues with diet. Very interesting stuff. http://primalblueprint.com/products/The-Hidden-Plague.html.

64. Congrats! Moose are kosher and one day I’d like to try them!

I’m the one faithful freak who can’t tolerate the PS. My husband is another of the faithful here who has had nothing but great things from his 5-6 months on the RS bandwagon, but I’m the only one whose bad tract biome doesn’t like it. And I’m the one who hasn’t sent in her sample to the Gut Project yet, but I will ASAP. I want to be a before in the RS study.

Update is that I decided to try instead of 2 tbsp 2x a day (which led to TMI D after day 2), one small tsp 1 x a day. Both nights thereafter, I slept like a log with the vivid dreams and all. But after night 2, woke up and the TMI D returned. Seriously?? I had also had a few slices of drying plantains, maybe 3 thin slices, max. Drying them for the first time. So the PS is out for me for the present.

Yesterday, though, I did eat a 24-hour cooled rice stir fry and that amount and kind of RS stays in properly. Dying to see what bad boys are in my gut — whatever the bad news is, I am highly motivated to make my chart look like yours one day!

Wonder what moose filet tastes like…

65. @Nancy

At least consider that you’re the human here. What if you like said eft it, and bombarded with 10 TBS all at once (or, in you sit, consider Spanish Caravan’s enema approach).

Kinda what I did. When I got farts, i said fuck you bastards and upped the dose.

I like to think of it as a war with trillions of combatants, and I’m just arming the allies. :)

Expand you mind and thinking, luv.

66. I know; I’ve thought of pushing through and fighting. But my second thought behind Warrior Woman Mentality is: Wimpy Chick Doesn’t Want To Stay Near Toilet All day. Lol! Plus, I need to send in my gut sample so’s I can be a good before RS and then start my RS work to be a good After RS!

I do wonder why I am the only one with this side effect. I’d rather have the stinky gas! There has to be some unwelcome clan in my gut.

67. I just wonder why folks think that RS is only maintenance, rather than potential cure.

I’ll put it this way. Nobody has a real clue as to the battle these buggers are engaged in. I’m speculating that the best befense against the bad ones are very well armed and supplied good ones.

And entire bag of potato starch in a day is not going to hurt anyone, of that I’m sure.

Or, in other words, how come set aside potentially the real treatment in favor of other stuff that’s jut not very effective?

68. uBIOME is not bad — uses the same 16S DNA amplification technology, but it is limited. It won’t identify pathogenic overgrowth in the small and large intestines or the parasites, worms, protozoa, yeasts, fungi, etc that affect our health DRAMATICALLY. The cost is only $10 more for GDX over uBIOME!

69. http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.jp/2013/10/giq-and-distal-gut-microbiome-as-driver.html

RS and potato starch has many benefits.

Table 5. The prebiotic properties of RESISTANT STARCHES generated from
    rodent (R), porcine (P) and human (H) studies (Modified from 12).

Effects on microbes:

*Selectively utilized by bifidobacteria cultures in vitro (H)
    *Promotes growth of lactobacilli and bifidobactera (R, P):
    *Reduce intestinal pathogen levels (R)
    *Synbiotic promotion of beneficial indigenous effects (R)
    *Synergy with oligosaccharides (R, P)
    - elevation of indigenous bifidobacteria [which TIGHTEN LEAKY JUNCTIONS]
    *Modified amylomaize regulates bacterial growth in vivo (R)
    *Enhanced survival of probiotic culture

Effects on host health and physiology:

*Reduce symptoms of diarrhoea (duration and fluid loss) (H)
    *Elevate colonic butyrate levels (H)
    *Increased Ca and Mg absorption (R)
    *Reduced risk of colon cancer (R)

(sorry — you can delete that last comment, meant for other post!)

70. Grace:

I’ll just leave it All you comments are good for any post. :)

Trackbacks

1. […] You 've known him from dozens of posts about resistant starch and the many comments. Perhaps you saw his hunting and fishing success here. […]