- How come you can't cook with it and get the sam effect?
- What do you mean it's not digested by us as starch and so doesn't affect blood glucose?
The answer to both questions is basically the same, and the analogy goes like this:
...Suppose you take 1/4 cup of raw popcorn kernels and just swallow them whole, no cooking (popping), no chewing, no broken teeth. What's going to happen? you're going to find them whole, in your poop, right? Now, suppose what would happen if you swallowed those kernels in a fasted state, downed them with water, and tested your glucose readings over a couple of hours? Nothing, right?
Ok, now take the same amount of kernels, pop 'em, eat 'em and see what happens. Measure your glucose.
This is what resistant starch is. Tiny structures of starch with a little moisture locked in. Eat raw, it passes right through, except then becomes food for your gut bacteria, bacteria than can handle upwards of 60g per day of the stuff (the rest ends up whole in your pewp).
But cook it, such as in baked goods or to thicken sauces, and you've just "popped" your resistant starch and transformed it into rapidly digesting starch. Here's a little home science experiment for you in order to better understand the difference. Take 4oz of water, and to that, add 2 heaping teaspoons of potato starch. Watch it immediately sink to the bottom, forming a non-Newtonian fluid. Prod it with your finger. OK, now, pop it in the nuker for a minute.