Thanks, Jimmy Moore

In retrospect, I don't know exactly why I went after my longtime friend so publicly and sternly (here and here). I suppose I like to think it's because that's what I got out of listening to hundreds of his podcasts on the road. I heard him over and over again entertain virtually any relevent thing, and put it out there for his readers to decide for themselves.

Admittedly, stirring damn Potato Starch—that's pennies per dose—into a glass of water and downing it is fucking ridiculous. Who the fuck comes up with this shit, anyway?

But it works, and Tim and I laf all the time about how unlikely that is, and what a tough row it is that we have to hoe because it's just stupid. You actually hope for far more modest testimonials, because as it stands, the testimonials are so damn profound that, given the foregoing paragraph, it becomes embarrassing. People will laf at me. People...laf at me.

But, let them, because it's true. There's comments on the blog, comments in FB, Tweets and G+'s from many, all saying the same thing; and today, in particular, was a banner day for both Type 1 and 2 diabetics. Two T2s reported that they had achieved the best blood glucose regulation in 20+ years. Another had a fasting blod glucose today of 63 after being amazed over some previous days that he was in the 70s. A Type 1 went hypoglycemic, not thinking he needed to lower his dose of insulin.

But this is just today. I've been seeing well more than 90% benefit for months, and months, and I finally decided I had to risk my friendship with Jimmy to have him get it out there to his people because let's face it: for better or worse, some people simply require a green light from a trusted source before they will even consider something—especially downing a silly cheap white powder.

So, Jimmy did: What’s All The Fuss About Resistant Starch?

Thanks Jimmy. Given the nature of this particular intervention—it's starch, and not only that, but just a cheap bag of desiccated raw white potato powder from the grocery store—I'm lafing, thinking about how you must have thought—eye rolling and face palming—as I was going all off on you.

But you checked it out. I guess it sounded too crazy not too. Or something.

That's a fair and open-minded post, sir. By that act, I am firmly convinced, based upon the hundreds of 90%+ positive testimonials over 8 months, that you have just acted in a way that will help people and the people they care about. Yep, in addition, I'm now receiving reports from people, that they have their families and friends on this funny, cheap, white powder you can get at the market too.

Fucking funny, eh?

Comments

1. bornagain says:

The simplicity of the solution betrays the tireless effort you put into your experiments in diet in health. Thankyou sir. I can also vouch for Purple Wraath which you also recommend to your readers.

2. sootedninjas says:

@richard

is there an expiration period for potato starch ?

Seriously, I’m thinking of stocking up a years worth of supply while I can get them for cheap. Who knows what the greedy bastards will do once RS goes viral. Supply and demand. Right ?

3. sootedninjas says:

I don’t know if Jimmy is as good of friend to you as you to him. I can’t help it feeling that he wrote that blog post just to get you off his back.

I mean there was at least 10 links or so to other blogs before he mentioned the FTA link. Not to mention that those 10 links “DOES NOT REALLY KNOW” compared to all the information available here in FTA. Those readers will follow the recommendations from those blogs and “Fail”. Then what. Concludes RS is a myth.

Where as if they go straight to FTA and follow the simple and stupid RS protocol they are most likely to experience the benefits the other n=1 folks.

“Admittedly, stirring damn Potato Starch—that’s pennies per dose—into a glass of water and downing it is fucking ridiculous. Who the fuck comes up with this shit, anyway?”

For instance, today was a HIT workout day and with that after a heavy workout I do a CARB BACKLOAD. So I decided to see what my BG levels after 1 hour. to my stupid surprise it was 90 on a CARB MEAL.

can’t wait till my FBG starts hitting mid-70s.

4. bornagain says:

@Sootedninjas. I see that too. Richard is taking the higher ground. +1 Richard.

5. Yes, thank you Jimmy Moore! Because of Richard calling him out I dug deeper into the RS posts and comments on FTA. I have always appreciated FTA and self-experimentation Richard does but as a T2 dismissed RS as an option. I think it was Diane’s (whose comment became a post – forgive me if I am mistaken) experience that caused me to try a second time & after just 3 days amazing FBG. Usually highest has been in AM due to dawn phenomena. In last 2 years I have dropped 130+ lbs and stalled with 20-30 lbs to go. I have been “eating to the meter” LC & VLC 100% Primal the last 20 months but recently had the cold extremities & light-headedness. I don’t know if RS will be the answer for all but I will continue my n=1.

And yes, +1 to Richard taking the higher ground. There is more than enough free clarity available to those who want to put in the effort.

6. MsMcGillicuddy says:

I wonder if anyone is forwarding these updates to Lyle McDonald? He has written about resistant starch several times in the past few years, but with the understanding that few foods contained appreciable amounts and it was primarily considered an ingredient to be used in pumping up processed foods. Now that we have PS as its own supplement, with all these reports of various benefits…. He’s a valuable resource since his dietary approach is agnostic and he doesn’t pimp himself out to commercial interests, so he’s one of the most credible.
    Perhaps most of all since he’d love the whole poop and farting angle of the story.

7. DuckDodgers says:

Might also help to mention that there’s like 100+ studies to back up RS consumption. It’s not like you guys just pulled this out of your ass :)

8. DuckDodgers says:
  9. Hugh Tauerner says:

I’ve been taking RS for a week now. Started with 1 TBS of Bob’s Red Mill PS in kefir at bedtime, upped it to 2 TBS after 4 days.

Yesterday I caught up with everyone else on the fartage front. To the point where I was wondering if we could get enough people together to start an orchestra.

So far, apart from the fartage, I’ve seen 2 changes: My FBG is down between 5 and 10 points (I’m a type 2 diabetic) from around 100 to between 87 and 95mg/dL. And my feet aren’t cold.

Seriously. I’ve had cold feet since I was a kid. I used to get horrendous chilblains in the winter when I was a kid. Even in summer my feet are colder than the rest of me. For the past 2 days, they’ve been warm. Apart from the RS, I’ve not changed anything else — same diet, same exercise routine, same amount of sleep.

I’m going to increase the dose of RS by adding 1 TBS in the mornings and will report back in another couple of weeks.

10. TheBigMost says:

Thinking of doing an n=1 with my Corgi. He’s seemingly got some inflammation in the joints of his hindquarters (not too uncommon to the breed) and struggles to walk after laying down. Just tossed him some cold potatoes from my breakfast plate and he sucked them down :)

11. Meanwhile, I just got this on my FB page from Danny Albers (Primal North).

“Cannot wait for the resistant starch fad to pass. Oh by the way, know what a huge cause of IBS, GERD, etc… is in the SAD way of eating? Wait for it…. resistant starch!”

His Low Carb blinders are on.

12. I was just finishing my kefir and ps and my dog was looking at me and I wondered if she might benefit from it. We don’t feed her any grain products, but maybe her biome could use a tune up.

13. Does it matter if I drink it around the same time as I drink butter coffee, or in what order? I haven’t seen that in the comments or posts I have managed to read.

14. Bravo!

15. @soot – I doubt there’s any expiration. Moisture is locked inside. …Like I said, I consider this a good result with Jimmy. I’m not a good enemy of perfect kind of guy and babies need TLC after a bath.

@Kat – Nice. Put an excerpt of your comment out on the Werks.

@MsMcG – Anyone is welcome to draw Lyle’s attention. I’m tired of getting shit on by him over anything. The only moment of coolness between us was some years ago when he talked of his own depression and how he helped by volunteering at an animal shelter. I donated like $25 for a dog in bad shape (that I think Lyle later adopted). I emailed him about “more important things in life” and got a nice reply from him. Next time I brought something up on “The Mean Forum” (Monkey Island, where literally ANYTHING goes) he shit on me yet again.

@Duck – I have an (old guy) Rat Terrier with EPI (and recovered spinal stroke last summer where he didn’t walk for 9 days). While I didn’t notice much with PS in his food except better poops, the plantain flour seems to be the ticket. Still early though.

@Hugh – I can vouch. While CHCF only plagues me from fall to spring, I was noting yesterday that my feet were a bit shwetty in the house shoes, so there I found myself on the back concrete porch in 50F, barefoot, feeling fine. Hands were rectified quite a while ago. I only get them now if I indulge in a toke of two of my friend’s “medicinal” stash.

@AJ – Well, Danny is going to have a tough time with all the folks (like me) who are curing even GERG associated with alcohol and wheat consumption with high DOSE PS on an empty stomach in water. He’s just pissed because I’m sucking all the air out of his little room. Tant pis.

Someone might clue him into this stunning testimonial with HIGH dose PS.

@John – ‘Yuh On Yuh Ohn’ (Ahhhnold voice). Best to dose in various amounts, various times, mixed in various things and in conduction with food and empty stomach and see what works best for you.

16. My 13 year old Golden girl apparently has arthritis in her lower back. I found adding a heaping teaspoon of Turmeric twice a day (in yogurt) has really helped. I also recently added Dogzymes Phyto-Flex which has a bunch of the ‘usual’ anti-inflammatory ingredients. That seems to have also added to her ease. I’ve thought about the PS but haven’t done so yet. I try to feed a raw, natural diet (as well as I can) so haven’t rationalized how PS would be a part. Dogs are scavengers though and have been living with humans for quite a long time, so possibly eating PS rich tubers was a part of their ‘natural’ diet. Hmmm… maybe I just talked myself into it!

17. gabriella kadar says:

Karen, you could just mix some into the canned dog food. I’m considering this with two of my cats. ‘De Boyz’ have somewhat excessive appetites compared to the rest of the crew. They have an annoying habit of scavenging from the other catses bowls.

18. Empty stomach seems to be the key for me and IBS control. Pre workout no problem, but mixed in post workout protein shake and massive stinky gas sometimes with loose stool. 1T seems sufficient for now.

I can’t believe how relaxed my insides get about 20 minutes after taking the Potato Starch. Has me wondering if it’s high in potassium or if its pulling bacteria away from the stomach and small instestine. I wonder if it would pull bacteria off of the gums as well. Considering how hard it would be to chew raw potato, maybe its also the cure for gum disease.

19. Looks like Robb Wolf has an upcoming podcast (Dec 31) with Chris Kresser where they will be talking about RS. Scroll down to find Squatchy’s comment about it. I don’t usually read testimonials but saw the words dawn phenomenon, something I am struggling with, and read through.

20. DuckDodgers says:

@JeffM: Be careful with raw potato. I did an experiment with an underdone/raw potato and got a pretty bad solanine toxicity reaction even though I peeled the potato and scalded the outside. I felt like I had been poisoned. Not fun.

Even though raw potatoes are a good source of Resistant Starch, and we have Bob’s Red Mill to eliminate their toxicity, I think perhaps our Paleolithic ancestors were getting their resistant starch from tubers, roots, bulbs and corms that weren’t part of the Solanaceae family (nightshades). For instance, sweet potatoes (part of the Solanales family) aren’t nightshades and they are far less toxic. Stick to potato starch if you want to be safe.

21. MsMcGillicuddy says:

Yes, Richard, I understand that part. For all his contributions, he pretty much defines the term – irascible.

22. @DuckDogers Thanks for the warning. Has anyone tested Bob’s Red Mill for Solanine content?

23. DuckDodgers says:

Thanks for the warning. Has anyone tested Bob’s Red Mill for Solanine content?

I’m not aware of testing, but Solanine is water soluble, so I’m fairly sure it all washes away in the production of the starch. You can usually tell if you are ingesting Solanine — it has a rather bitter taste and causes a burning sensation in your mouth.

And secondly, we are all consuming plenty of PS and have no symptoms of Solanine toxicity — and they are very obvious symptoms (nausea, confusion, vomiting, hallucinations).

24. @Karen

PS is raw. It’s the starch granules from raw potatoes, extracted via water and sieving.

I’ve done both with my dogs. They seem to really like the plantain flour a lot, which is more of a whole raw food, just dried and milled.

25. DuckDodgers says:

I’ve said this before, but my dog drools like crazy whenever I eat safe starches. Supposedly domesticated dogs evolved with some starch-digesting genes — which perhaps makes some sense as to why they were so drawn to the side of humans, who were also harvesting and eating starch.

26. Spanish Caravan says:

Duck, I was gonna grind some PS from raw potatoes after peeling them. So that’s gonna run into the same problem?

27. DuckDodgers says:

@Spanish Caravan,

Potentially. Every potato has different levels of Solanine in it. It depends on the conditions of storage and handling, etc. Supposedly light triggers the production of Solanine, which then floods from the skin and buds/eyes into the body of the potato. Wikipedia says that anywhere between 30%-80% of the Solanine is near the skin. But, that means that sometimes 70% of the Solanine could be away from the skin.

My guess is that it’s possible to dig up a potato and eat the heart raw before any solanine has made its way into the heart of the potato. But, if you buy a potato in the store, or even keep it in a dark cellar for a few days like I did, it’s not impossible for Solanine to make its way into the heart of the potato. My potato only had a slight tinge of green on the edges.

I also have heard that different species of potatoes have different tendencies for solanine. I ate a raw Russet potato heart that gave me toxicity. The Irish used to use an Irish Lumper from what I understand. I’ve read that potatoes have been domesticated to reduce solanine over time, but obviously — as a nightshade plant — the solanine is still there if you don’t take steps to neutralize it.

So, I think we need to be careful not to try too many raw potato experiments even though it is technically possible to find a raw potato heart that is safe. In my (layman’s) opinion, I think it’s best to experiment with raw whole RS sources aren’t part of the nightshade family and are low in toxins.

28. Spanish Caravan says:

That leaves cassava/yuca/tapioca. Goya sells frozen yuca in a bag. 5 bls. for 5 bux. Pretty good deal. That takes care of the trouble of removing the skin, which may have cyanide.

What did you plan on doing as far as grinding the potato or yuca?

Now the question then is. What about other potato starches? That is, non-BRM brands? If BRM treats raw potatoes that way to rid of solanine, then are the other companies following suit? I’ve seen some potato starch in Asian markets and was thinking about buying them to try, since my conclusion was that I was reacting to BRM because they weren’t skinning potatoes properly.

So is BRM’s protocol for solanine removal the standard in potato starch production?

29. doogiehowsermd says:

As far as friendships go, you’ve a given a lot more to Jimmy than I would have given your circumstances. Bravo. +1 Richard.

30. DuckDodgers says:

Is the Cassava cyanide only in the skin? I’d be afraid to experiment with that. I could have sworn there’s a real traditional process to inactivating cassava cyanide.

BRM isn’t doing anything special akaik. Solanine is water soluble, so as long as you follow the standard potato starch production procedure I would think you should be fine — the solanine should just wash away and leave the RS behind if you do it right.

Originally I thought you were just going to grind up some raw potatoes and eat them — that could be problematic.

As I said before, you know when you eat solanine, because it tastes pretty terrible and makes your mouth burn — that’s its defense system.

31. TheBigMost says:

@Duck
    Regarding our paleolithic ancestors and tubers, I would think that they probably didn’t allow them to spend much time out of the ground prior to consumption, thus preventing them from producing much solanine, whereas modern day tubers tend to be harvested in one locale and transported a good distance, spending quite a bit of time out of the ground before someone comes along in a grocery store, puts them in his cart and takes them home, where they may spend a week or so before consumption…

When you experienced your solanine poisoning, were they potatoes that you grew yourself or store/market-bought?

32. DuckDodgers says:

@TheBigMost,

They were store bought Russets.

I’m not saying that all tubers were toxic. I’m just saying the nightshade tubers were probably avoided raw because they are well known to be toxic. Again, sweet potatoes aren’t nightshades, and I’ve already found evidence of cultures that ate sun dried tubers that are very similar to sweet potatoes. So, something was being consumed raw, dried or underdone.

But, potatoes and other nightshades? I really doubt they were consumed raw very often. They were probably generally avoided until agriculture. If you’ve been following the comments, you’ll know that I did find some evidence of the Irish eating underdone potato hearts to feel full longer. But, I think it was a modern hack that they figured out — and I bet it backfired once in awhile, given what I experienced.

I would also point out every variety of the modern potato can be traced back to a single spud in Peru over 7,000 years ago.

In other words, eating nightshades — the wondrous potato — is an agricultural domestication. The solanine has been bred out of the modern potato to the point that they are safe enough to eat when cooked. Before that domestication, I’m not sure that cooking would have made them safe enough to eat. I don’t know. It’s hard to say.

Whatever is in our microbiome that is being jumpstarted by RS didn’t happen from these domesticated potato nightshades that have become so popular since agriculture was invented. It had to have happened far before that domestication.

Whatever primal force RS is awakening had to have come from eating wild tubers, bulbs and corms that were somehow low in toxins and a good source of RS. Whatever those menu item were, I really don’t think they were in the nightshade family.

33. So he is in the process of writting a book about a ketogenic diet, and doesn’t want to touch RS during that process? Does it mean his book is going to end up somewhat incomplete?

34. @DuckDogers
    I’ve already posted a link to paleo tubers in other post, here’s a copy: