_ap_ufes{"success":true,"siteUrl":"freetheanimal.com","urls":{"Home":"http://freetheanimal.com","Category":"http://freetheanimal.com/blog-admin","Archive":"http://freetheanimal.com/2014/07","Post":"http://freetheanimal.com/2014/07/nobody-is-safe.html","Page":"http://freetheanimal.com/advertising-product-service","Nav_menu_item":"http://freetheanimal.com/2014/07/subscribe.html","Content_ad_widget":"http://freetheanimal.com/?content_ad_widget=widget-2-5x118"}}_ap_ufee

This is Quite a Quiz and 90% of You Will Not Even Fully Understand Many of the Questions

It's an awesome quiz. The majority of you won't even fully grasp the import of many of of the questions, simply because the possibilities of the ideas and principles underlying a lot of them are foreign to you and sadly, you're simply ignorant of the swaths of Enlightenment thought leading to principle that's quite critical to be aware of, to even competently take a test like this.

baby birds feeding
This is Your Mirror Image

OK, all the foregoing is a bit hyperbolic, you know. But do I have your attention? So go take it, and really focus in on the true meaning of every question. If you don't fully grasp a question, click the button in the middle.

What Kind of Libertarian Are You?

I actually found out about it from Robb's Facebook. He came out Minarchist—"Just enough evil, not too much"—but what's a little evil amongst friends? I posted a comment.

Interesting quiz. Obviously crafted by an Anarchist or Agorist, as you just never see deep questions like that from Democrats (euphemism for commies), Republicans (euphemism for stupid and dickless), or Libertarians (euphemism for self-contradictory). I came out 100% Agorist, 92% Anarcho-Capitalist, 67% Small 'L' libertarian, 58% Left Libertarian, 25% Libertarian Socialist, and 17% Paleo Libertarian.

Thankfully, 0% Minarchist (euphemism for "just a little evil is just right")

....With my respects and bit of jab at me friend Robb...

Here:

Screen Shot 2014 01 09 at 9 31 02 AM

0% Evil

Alright, go take the thing yourself, results in comments, s'il vous plaît.

Comments

1. Stark Brandstone says:

100% Agorist and 100% Anarcho-Capitalist, the rest don’t really matter do they?

2. Hey Stark.

I think the reason I got nicked a bit on my An-Cap cred is that over years I have come to find a lot of small-l lib and An-Cap defense of corporatism unpalatable.

While I said and wrote as early as about ’98 that “capitalism is what people do when you leave them alone,” it’s a far cry—I realize now—from the totally out-of-scale multinational corporations that exists now at the privilege of the state.

My key to understanding this was my own corporation. I realized that even though I had 5 other shareholders (I was majority, and 2 others were mom and a brother, so I had control), the only essential difference between it and just a simple partnership was limitation of personal liability.

My friend Greg Swann pointed this out to me in email many years ago and I resisted, but never forgot it, and eventually came to understand that he was, in fact, correct, and then I understood what he meant when he’d write that he’s the ONLY anarchist on Earth.

It really completed the whole puzzle for me and I had a front row seat because, once I understood this, I was perpetually bombarded with the self-introspective question: “Ok, Richard, this is what you just did, but would you have done something different if you had full personal liability and not a legal shield courtesy of the government upon which you shower gifts for the privilege?”

The only truly valid business structures are sole proprietorships with 100% personal liability, or partnerships, with joint and several personal liability.

• Just curious Richard, but how many libertarians/anarcho-capitalists are really defending modern corporatism, a.k.a. crony capitalism a.k.a. fascism? All the ones I know and respect put state privileged businesses firmly in the sight of their scorn. I just find that a curious comment.

Republicans and big “L” Libertarians, sure.

• Stark Brandstone says:

I see the value in that philosophy especially since I have mostly left the libertarian ethics circle jerk behind. I had to escape the echo chamber of self-back-patting as to the “scientific proofs that libertarian philosophy is the most economically sound and just way to run a society.”

The quiz we’re all taking and discussing is great and eye-opening but I wish there was a distinction that included “voluntaryist,” even though I fully understand that “agorist” and “voluntaryist” in all practicality are the same thing.

• JFF

You perhaps make a point in the sense that I no longer pay any attention to them and haven’t in years. Stuff from the very pragmatic, consequentialist Reason is about as close as I get to any of it. I just do my own thing. Don’t need any of ‘em, they don’t need me.

But what I saw back when I was paying attention, and I was just as guilty, was pretty much always defending business in virtually _any_ context against the oppression of the state. And while I certainly don’t approve of state violence in any context, it’s at least understandable to me that a state institution is by definition, a state institution wholly beholden to state privilege and scorn.

• Im anarch as well.

I also run a LLC. I structured it deliberately with an extra layer of protection on top of it. I did it because I simply do not trust the law which can be gamed by deep pockets – deep pockets my competitors have.
      Not to stop someone with valid grievances the right of redress.

How does one operate with this in mind? I struggle with what I feel is utopian ideals sometimes.

• Dan

Nobody is to be faulted for doing things the way they’re done. So, yea, I had a corp too. Hell, it’s not even competitors as much as employees that can get you with all the victimhood laws on the books.

• Thanks, yeah tell me about it. I went out of my way to try and hire through a local company that helped disabled people find work. In the end I couldn’t do it. Wont bore you with the details. No good deed….

3. Beans McGrady says:

Anarcho-capitalist was how I finished, had to have a tie-breaking question between that and agorist.
    I wound up in the middle for a lot of the questions, not that I didn’t understand them, more that I am not sure how I feel on them, or wound up thinking things like ‘well, that sort of depends on. . . ‘
    Tons of fun though.
    Too bad they don’t have categories for fucking fascist and total dependent douche-bag socialist to round it out.
    A lot of people I know would end up in one of those.

4. “A lot of people I know would end up in one of those.”

90% +. See the first pic I posted. _Essential_ “differences” between Democrats and Republicans are measured in a cunt-hair scale.

Differences between Anarchists are relevant and meaningful. It’s the only place where true social thought gets an honest hearing.

5. Preston says:

Anarch0-capitalistat 100%. Left-Libertarian at 83% (no idea what that means)

You’re right about corps. They are privileges offered by govts. No place in the free market.

6. Beans McGrady says:

The corporation distinction Is so fucking important. I bang me head against a wall with occupy type lefties on this one all the time. So many deluded people think that Reagan was an example of the free market gone wrong. Absolutely crazy making.
    No one wants to do their homework.

7. Too cool. Two days in a row, first Schiavo, now this:

The essential defining characteristic of a corporation, as against other ways of organizing a business enterprise, is liability limitation, a conspiracy between the proprietors and the state to defraud tort claimants of all they might otherwise obtain in redress for their injuries. It’s pure Hamiltonian Social Engineering, Mercantilism at its worst. The idea is to encourage investment by limiting the risk. But by limiting responsibility, investment is distorted away from the individual integrity that is the sine qua non of enlightened self-interest. The limited liability corporation is the rope by which Capitalism hung itself.

8. bornagain says:

Anarcho-capitalist 83% and Agorist 83%. I admit I did not understand many of the questions. I don’t like labels so you can shove the results up your ass.

9. James Pruitt says:

Scored out as “Agorist”, but was tied with “Anarcho-capitalist” at 75%. Number of questions I chose the middle option because I didn’t necessarily have a strong feeling one way or the other. Some I chose to disagree with only because I did not accept the premise of the question….cannot agree that government should follow letter of constitution if I don’t accept that there should be a government or a constitution, etc…

And, like you, 0% minarchist!

Anyway, my score…

You Scored as Agorist….
    Anarcho-capitalist 75%
    Agorist 75%
    Left-libertarian 58%
    “Small L” libertarian 50%
    Neo-libertarian 25%
    Paleo-libertarian 17%
    Geo-libertarian 8%
    Minarchist 0%
    Libertarian socialist 0%

• “cannot agree that government should follow letter of constitution if I don’t accept that there should be a government or a constitution, etc…”

That was the proper way to answer the question. The state should not follow the Constitution in any respect because the Constitution has no moral authority over anyone currently living.

10. 100% Agorist, as expected. Minarchist & al. all at or below 33%

Neo-libertarian 0%

not bad for a leftie

12. Left-libertarian 75%
    Paleo-libertarian 68%
    Anarcho-capitalist 33%

13. Keoni Galt says:

I guess I need to rename my blog “Hawaiian Anarcho-Capitalist” then.

Anarcho-Capitalist 92%
    Left-Libertarian 83%
    Paleo-Libertarian 75%

14. Keoni Galt says:

Obviously, some of the questions are open to interpretation…. i.e. I “agree” that I’m an environmentalist…in the sense of I oppose pollution and strip mining of renewable natural resources to the point of depletion, but am utterly opposed to the socialist/progressive/globalist environmentalist “green” political movement and their man-made climate change charade.

I think we’d be better off following the original tenets of the Constitution, and we can do without a few of the amendments that have been passed since (universal suffrage, establishment of the FED and the Income Tax, to name a few), but I think the original Bill of Rights did a pretty good job of recognizing and constraining the power of Government over individual liberty.

But what does it matter now, since the Constitution is essentially null and void since we have no true property rights, privacy, a free press, true freedom of speech and an increasingly encroached upon right to bear arms….

But in the end, I did select “agree” on the Constitution question.

• _IF_ the US State did actually follow the Constitution to the letter, I’d probably just shut up.

The Declaration of Independence was America’s founding document and it’s all gone down hill since.

15. Apparently an Agorist here, too busy getting dinner into my feral children to post the other percentages.

16. Richard, but this is my score:

Anarcho-capitalist 100%
    Left-libertarian 75%
    Agorist 75%
    “Small L” libertarian 50%
    Minarchist 25%
    Paleo-libertarin 17%

The problem that I ran into is that some of the questions were somewhat leading due to the lack of defining terms. I define “government” and the “state” differently (this is mostly due to linguistics and grammar, rather than political philosophy), so on those questions using the term “government”, I ultimately had no option but to answer in the midde. I know that most people use those terms synonymously, but grammatically that is a confusion.

I more or less refer to myself as an “anarcho-libertarian”, or simply “libertarian”. The reason for this is that if you consistently follow the ethical principles of the NAP and libertarian property rights, then it is pretty hard to go astray with regard to normative questions; in the logical extensions of this, then you must necessarily reject the state and all arbitrary rule over property by non-owners.

17. You Scored as Anarcho-capitalist

Anarcho-capitalists are libertarians who oppose the state entirely and propose to have a free market in the provision of security and arbitration. The term anarcho-capitalism derives from Murray Rothbard to describe a stateless society based on the principles of laissez-faire or the philosophy in support of such a proposition. Anarcho-capitalists may tend to still associate more with the political right and make use of the political process, unless they are agorists or left-libertarians at the same time.

Anarcho-capitalist
    Geo-libertarian
    Libertarian socialist
    Neo-libertarian
    Paleo-libertarian

18. Richard,

100% An-cap

I’ve been reading this blog for quite some time (close to one year) and this is one of the first times I’ve felt the need to respond.

Several years ago Mark Sisson posed a question to the primal community, asking for what they believed was an element sorely lacking from primal philosophy. I didn’t respond but my answer would have been a complete lack of understanding of free-market economics and property rights (philosophy). I believe most of the primal community, with the exception of yourself and Karen DeCoster, still sorely lacks proper libertarian understanding and tends to lean more towards the Reason/Cato/Hayek crowd versus the Nock/Rothbard/Mises/Hoppe crowd. It’s for this reason (and all the RS research!) that I spend little time at MDA and read every article at FTA. Your series on “Anarchy Starts At Home” is exceptional and thought-provoking.

Enough with the flattery, on with the criticism.

It is quite common, even amongst the most logical, to incorrectly conclude that corporate charters, LLC specifically, are a grant of government privilege. Murray Rothbard sums it up best:

“Finally, the question may be raised: Are corporations themselves mere grants of monopoly privilege? Some advocates of the free market were persuaded to accept this view by Walter Lippmann’s The Good Society.[77] It should be clear from previous discussion, however, that corporations are not at all monopolistic privileges; they are free associations of individuals pooling their capital. On the purely free market, such men would simply announce to their creditors that their liability is limited to the capital specifically invested in the corporation, and that beyond this their personal funds are not liable for debts, as they would be under a partnership arrangement. It then rests with the sellers and lenders to this corporation to decide whether or not they will transact business with it. If they do, then they proceed at their own risk. Thus, the government does not grant corporations a privilege of limited liability; anything announced and freely contracted for in advance is a right of a free individual, not a special privilege. It is not necessary that governments grant charters to corporations.[78]” (http://mises.org/rothbard/mes/chap15d.asp)

Now I can agree that in practice the government and corporations misuse limited liability, I cannot agree that limited liability could not exist in a free market. As Rothbard makes clear, it’s fully within a group of individuals natural rights to set the terms of contracts with other parties.

Now for a question.

Are you familiar with Robert LeFevre’s essay on Autarchy vs Anarchy?

link: http://centerforselfrule.org/autarchy-vs-anarchy-robert-lefevre/

I believe he is correct and the correct term that should be used to describe the philosophy is not anarchy (without rule) but autarchy (self-rule).

tu ne cede malis,
    Zach

• Zach

Oh, I assure you I agree with all of that. And, it’s come up before. Generally, especially in comments I try to be brief and to the essential point so I don’t always cover ever distinction.

But of course, you can in principle do _anything_ with contracts, including limiting liability with those you do business with. Of course, that won’t help when someone sues you that you don’t have a contract with but most of that risk is pretty easily dealt with by insurance.

In fact, all large companies carry policies that protect officers and directors from personal liability, should they happen to be named in a lawsuit, which is particularly common in shareholder suits.

So, bottom line is that there’s nothing inherently wrong with limiting liability, it’s just that rather than being a favor granted by the State, it’s something that you have to pay for in terms of legal experts drafting contracts and insurance premiums. Eliminate taxation of business enterprises (dumb anyway, 100% gets passed onto customers) would make it a cinch and inexpensive. In fact, there would be opportunity for a whole business built around it with turnkey solutions.

• thank you for clarifying!

• No problem.

Also, another thing to point out is that even with the corp shield, lots of small corporation have little choice but to sign personal guarantees in order to get access to needed capital and equipment.

19. Anthony says:

100% Left-Libertarian, also strongly Libertarian Socialist, Agorist, and Small-l lib., etc.

Recently found your blog and can’t stop reading. Too many writers, artists, etc. are eager to please (i.e. increase their market share), homogenizing thought and discourse. While we disagree on what we would do economically, the great thing about anarchism is the freedom to do my own thing without impeding on you and yours. Cheers!

20. Alors, if you need to understand ‘laissez-faire’ to get such scores, does that mean anarchists are french-lovers? :D

Et voila! Les miens sont “plus royaliste que le roi” , you should be proud of your tutelage, mon cher….well, except for the minarchist taint (but that should make Sean smile, so there’s a silver lining d’après moi!) :
    Anarcho-capitalist 100%
    Agorist 92%
    Left-libertarian 75%
    “Small L” libertarian 58%
    Libertarian socialist 42%
    Neo-libertarian 25%
    Paleo-libertarian 25%
    Minarchist 17%
    Geo-libertarian 8%

21. Better yet : Enlightened french-lovers? ;)

22. I couldn’t help but hear Ron Swanson’s voice reading this to me In my head on each and evey question… Lol.

23. I took the quiz and my results are:
    You Scored as Paleo-libertarian
    Paleo-libertarians are influenced by and in alliance with paleoconservatives and are likely to be former paleoconservatives themselves. Paleo-libertarians are strongly associated with the “old right”. Some may tend to be social or cultural conservatives. Paleo-libertarians tend to differ with other libertarians particularly in terms of their tendency to support immigration restriction and strong border security. One of their primary targets of criticism, if not the main target of their criticism, is globalism.

Paleo-libertarian
    50%
    “Small L” libertarian
    33%
    Libertarian socialist
    17%
    Geo-libertarian
    TBH, I understood only about 2/3 of the questions, as I have not previously been exposed to much of this line of thought. I am reading up on the different philosophies now though, and mostly agree with the first two.

• “I understood only about 2/3 of the questions, as I have not previously been exposed to much of this line of thought.”

And yet, in your previous comment felt compelled to LOL at those who like me have intimately understood the underlying Enlightenment principles of every question for years (about 1991 in my case).

But, it’s ok. I was there, in 1990. :)

• Ok whoa Kati.

I may have misjudged the meaning of your LOL and treated you unfairly. I plead my own ignorance because I didn’t know Ron Swanson, Googled, saw it was comedy and well, been at this a long time, instincts pretty good.

So after posting the last I go and watch a YT and it is comedy, but in the 2 minutes I saw so far, not quite what I thought. I’m watching more. I like Ron. Where did he come from?

• I don’t know where Ron came from, but I watch the show because of his character. The main character makes me cringe most of the time. :)
      I was a five year old in 1990… Another lol. I know I’ll be where you are one day though, and probably not as “wrinkle free and springtime fresh” as you appear to be (Family Matters reference).
      I started reading a bit more about controversy surrounding Paleo-libertarian and am not sure how I got that as my #1, since I do not have racist leanings and am not trying to make people behave with good manners ( acc. To Wikipedia). I agree more with minarchist, having not yet looked into the other titles on the list.

24. Eeenteresting:

Geo-libertarian
    42%
    Libertarian socialist
    25%
    Neo-libertarian

25. Wenchypoo says:

I also scored as minarchist. As to the article sentence that said Republicans are a metaphor for dickless, you have it wrong–they’re ALL dick! I can’t tell you how deep the dickishness runs…this is what happens when you pander to your deep-pocketed donors and not the American people!

26. Dr. Curmudgeon Gee says:

the quiz is not poorly designed for

1. a “hermitian-libertarian”

(i had no idea about some questions & names)

2. the ambiguity of some questions (e.g. environment)