The First Non-Weight-Loss Body Recomposition Success Story on Resistant Starch

It's quite remarkable what the other 90% of your body can do, in terms of raw cell numbers.

Commenter Charles Richardson non-anonymously (unlike those anonymous who poopoo anonymous anecdote) rings in.

I started potato starch in August or September, when the picture on the left was taken. The one on the right was just taken, after five-six months on potato starch and various probiotics. I've not lost an ounce, in fact I've gained a couple of pounds. And I'm not exercising more or drinking less wine. I think the difference is pretty striking. I'm not being too narcissistic here I hope, but it's amazing what a reduction in overall inflammation can do, and it's amazing what getting your gut biome in shape will do. The only thing I changed was adding PS, and I was already doing a pretty healthy diet.

(Feel free to immediately trash this...it's for informational purposes only.)

Grace said:

You look like Miss America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thx that's wonderful.

Girls will be girls. I digress. But then, in later emails, she went off into all sorts of girbil and rabbit holes about different sorts of bacteria in the gut and flamitory and in, and I'm like 'YAWN GIRL...He's back on the market!' Don't you get it?

RU familiar with Saccharomyces Boulardii? It's the industry standard probiotic to give during antibiotic treatments to prevent post-antibiotic candida and to treat fungal infections (fight yeast with yeast; like clostridia against C difficile). It was isolated from tropical fruits -- MANGOSTEEN and lychee. I'm certain it grows on the skin of green bananas.

Guess what probiotics grows on our favorite RS/fiber sources?

B subtilis on TIGER NUTS... B subtilis is another one of my favorite SBOs which makes vitamin K2 and digests sourdough gluten, caseine, etc.

Microbial counts and invert sugars in juice extracts from stored tubers of Cyperus esculentus Linn. (earth almond): Nahrung. 1993;37(6):607-12. Adebajo LO.Department of Biological Sciences, Ogun State University, Ago-Iwoye, Nigeria.

The microbial populations and the levels of invert sugars in juice extracts from healthy tubers of Cyperus esculentus L. stored at 10, 20, 30 and 40 degrees C were determined. Bacterial counts increased with time and attained the peak on the 25th and 35th d at 40 and 30 degrees C respectively. Similar trends were obtained for the yeasts, but the peak counts were recorded on the 20th and 35th d at 40 and 30 degrees C respectively. At 10 and 20 degrees C, the counts, both for bacteria and yeasts increased throughout the 40-d period. Invert sugar levels increased throughout the investigation period at all the tested temperatures. Highest levels were recorded at about 30 and 40 degrees C while the lowest levels were obtained at 10 degrees C. Of the seven bacteria and five yeasts tested, only Saccharomyces rouxii, S. cerevisiae, Schizosaccharomyces sp., Pseudomonas chlororaphis, P. fluorescens and Bacillus subtilis brought about significant hydrolysis of sucrose in vitro. Results on the microbial populations and levels of invert sugars in raw juice extracts suggest that yeasts could possibly play a greater role than bacteria in the hydrolysis of sucrose in vivo.

Also, in another thread:

What is the most effective way to kill and make extinct our beneficial symbiotic flora?

Over evolutionary time, our guts shrunk because our host body became more and more reliant on their work capacity so that it could enlarge the DNA genome for other important things — talking, cognition, mating, making Valentine’s LOL, hunting, defense, group dynamics, child care of progressively premature infants, et cetera. Our guts do so much and we blast them in gratitude with potent synthetic antibiotics. The ramifications are evident now.

Duncan et al (2007) AEM 73; 1073-1078

A study was done examining the shift in gut populations with Atkins in obese patients. The best way to extinguish our worker beehive symbionts was a fiber/RS-less diet (eg Cordain’s Paleo, Robb Wolf, Whole9, GAPS, SCD, SIBO/FastTract, VLC, Atkins, Bernstein, Phinney, Volek, Eastman, GCBC, me). (Sorry didn’t spare anyone — I’m INCLUDED tee hee)

See slides 10-14.

4 very significant anti-inflammatory, longevity associated and butyrate-producing subpopulations were DECIMATED by the fiber/RS-deficient diet.
–Bifido
–Ruminococci
–Roseburia (Cluster XIVa)
–F prausnitzii

Do these populations ever return? Is it like a single course of antibiotics where they may never re-establish even after 2 years?

Though he blasts potatoes, even Cordain has published that early hominins consumed ~25% of their diet from underground storage organs (starchy, fiber and RS-rich tubers).

This is the case for 2 million years of our ancestors evolution!

Several of these that are lost above are in high quantities in centenarians. Biagi et al also found the connection between “The decrease of both Clostridium cluster XIVa [Roseburia] and F. prausnitzii group members was also correlated to frailty condition, hospitalisation, antibiotic treatment and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory therapy.”

Clostridium cluster XIVa is also referred to as the Clostridium coccoides/Eubacterium rectale group which are potent cross feeders of resistant starch and raw potato starch in clinical experiments. [E rectale are poor RS fermenters but they live symbiotically with keystone gut species that DO EAT and ferment RS to secondary food (substrates) which E rectale consumes like a hog on fire.]

I, on the other hand, said:

Damn, that's like 10-15 years off.

You sure that right one wasn't taken like 2000 and you just got computer files mixed up? :)

Would love to pop it up on the blog, but only with your permission, of course, name or no name. Some people think I'm already making this up, so doesn't matter to me. :)

Nice work, sir.

Men will be manly MEN!

Then I walked my iPad into the kitchen to show Beatrice, without saying anything about it, just that he's 62. "Wow, how much weight did he lose? He looks great."

sidebyside 2014feb
Mr. Charles Richardson, 62. "Sir," to me and you!

You can post it if you want. And I'm incredibly and eternally grateful to you and Tim and Grace for this. The first picture scared the hell out of me when I saw it. It was the first time that I thought I had to admit to getting old at 62 finally. That plus some strange numbers from my latest blood work, plus that ketosis wasn't doing shit anymore except giving me even worse brain fog. Then right about that time, you guys came up with the ridiculous idea that fucking potato starch could do something good. What a pile of crap.

So I was stupid enough to try it. Changed my life. And got my GF to try it. Changed her life and cured her of decades-long serious digestive issues. And I can see the same changes in her inflammation quotient in her face.

Politically, you and I will disagree on almost anything. But I will have your back in any foxhole you find yourself in. And that's the truth.

Laf. I'm assuming Charles is one of those commies I hate, but looks past it, just as I do when dealing with the mindwhorthy or at least, those of good heart and conscience, in my exclusive judgment, which is the only judgment I take very seriously.

...Digressing a bit about the mindwhorthy. The exponential increase of thoughtful and intelligent commenters on FTA has been extreme. It's kind of a new gig for me, even though FTA is the most raucous mix of commenting anywhere in Paleoishland, bar none. It's only the subject matter that has changed, plowing and tilling new soil, just as I like it. Knowledge is never static. Most have come along, a few, or one, have not. Rather, they/he tweet/stalks all waking hours....

Nope, I'll just stop there. Hopefully, he got the email notice of the mutual-friend family death notice I sent him a couple of days ago. No acknowledgement yet.

Update: Because everyone is so owed, so entitled; because I have a blog and happen to post stuff people can read, not read, love, hate, or be indifferent too: the ENTITLED are a very special bunch. They're very special. With very special needs.

This new photo set is for them, just because they're so special.

Charles
Charles

Alright, all you entitled people. Go out and tell the world all about it. Quick!

Free The Animal is supported by readers like yourself shopping Amazon and CLICKING HERE to do so. Costs you nothing but sure helps out around here quite a lot. Always appreciated.

Comments

1. Holy cow. I think I might have a fairly good picture set as well. I took a pic on Jan 26 of myself, and just went and looked at some other camera phone pics and found one I took on Nov. 5, a few days after I started PS. My face was really swollen in the Nov 5 pic, and I only realized it now looking at the Jan 26 pic. I did not lose weight, I gained it but I actually look thinner. How would I go about showing my pics? I don’t care who knows who I am; I am officially nobody in this world :)

• That’s exactly my experience. And the experience of my girlfriend (also in her 60s). Hasn’t lost an ounce, but everyone (including me) thinks she looks like she has. I don’t know how old PaleoJew (below) is, but young people don’t really look at older people well. They just see “old” and “older.”

• gabriella kadar says:

Charles, I look like shit. I’ve been eating this potato starch and that’s all fine and dandy. But keeping up with this bloody Free the Animal stuff is cutting into my sleeping time. I find I’m up till too late and then having to go to work in the morning.

There’s always some new question to answer, some new thought process to follow through and stuff to investigate. Between this and my real job which recently has reminded me of a Dr. House episode, it’s a major sleep deprivation issue going on.

• Michelle, if you like, email to me (address on the About page of the blog).

• Amen, I hear you!

2. Hey, @PaleoJew, my mom finds the difference quite striking, plus she thinks I’m quite a nice-looking boy (at 62) so are you calling my mom a liar?

The lighting is different, but in person the difference in the swelling and puffiness is much more obvious. And the change in skin tone as well. And yeah, I make no claim on the Ideal RS Model title, there will be many better mugs than mine. But to make the kind of change at age 62 that have had people ask what I’ve been doing or if I’ve lost weight, with no changes other than adding PS, was interesting to me. I didn’t send this in to be published, but when RN asked me, I said go ahead. So you’re calling out both my mom and Richard.

But other than that, up yours ;=)

• Charles:

I’m just deleting all the BS, don’t concern yourself. People want and don’t want to see or not see. I’ve seen the same sort of stuff in myself as well, especially the face—form and the like, puffiness (especially forehead).

I know it’s real.

• And incidentally, I didn’t notice until about a week after taking the SBOs along with PS, so the only criticism that’s valid I touted this as RS when it may well be that the probiotics are required as well.

Incidentally, when this came in last night I was on my iPad and without saying anything walked into the kitchen to show my wife, and she asked wow, how much weight did he loose.

Ignore stupid people like PJ and V.

• Sniff. I’ll try not to have a sad…

My mom, my girlfriend and my ex-wife all said the same thing, so I’m not worked up. It’s more subtle than dramatic, but in real life people have said it’s obvious. And that was before I said anything.

• What’s funny is that just yesterday (nearing 2 weeks on the 3 SBOs … Prescript Assist, AOR Probiotic-3, Primal Defense) I got out of the shower and was looking at my face in the mirror and was thinking damn, I could have sworn I was getting some wrinkles, saggy, etc., but it’s gone and I’ll be dammed but I think my face looks better. Hadn’t stepped on the scale in a long while, so I did, and was down about 5 pounds from last I had remembered.

• Hi Richard,
      Can you tell us more about the SBOs…how many you take, when, the brand? I’d be interested in adding those into the mix maybe along with some phylum. Thanks.

• I’ll be posting on it soon.

– Proscript Assist
      – AOR Probiotic-3
      – Primal Defense

I typically take one of each in the AM on an empty stomach and chase with PS and/or food a couple of hours later. At night, same, one of each with PS in water before bed.

3. I had a stool analysis that showed minor problems. My main complaint is GERD, with symptoms all over the map (mainly heartburn and sore throat).

I’ve been feeling pretty well, some ups and downs, but, want to feel better, at age 50. I’m thinking of trying a couple of things:
    1) RS supplementation – maybe follow the 7 step SIBO protocol by Dr. BG and Tim Steele.
    2) Cycle between moderate carb and keto diets as suggested by the Jaminets to help diagnose chronic infection.

The problem with #1 is that is directly goes against my Dr’s order [to avoid potato]. I’m sensitive, according to the Carroll test, but, I don’t have very good details of what that’s all about. I could take the dehydrated plantain approach, but, that’s a lot more work.

The problem with #2 is that I’m afraid going ketogenic may permanently damage my gut biome, even though the Jaminets’ method allows for carbs at 10% of calories, plus unlimited low carb vegetables. Reading so many of the top Paleo gurus, I think I have almost unconditional trust of the Jaminets, for some odd reason. I wish I could just get a fecal transplant.

I want to do *something*. Does anyone care to try to influence my decision and weigh in on these ideas, or propose something completely different?

Thanks!

Stool Highlights:
    Doctor’s Data Comprehensive
    H. Pylori Antigen – Neg
    Beneficial flora – a little low, 6 groups detected
    Commensal – low levels of 4 groups detected
    Dysbiotic flora – none
    Yeasts – none
    Digestion, Inflammation, Immunology – all good
    SCFA – pretty good, propionate slightly low – Total = 10 mg/ml

• gabriella kadar says:

This has come up (literally and figuratively) before. You need to figure out what it is that your stomach wants to either get rid of or that upsets it enough when it’s emptying to cause acid to come up the esophagus.

You may have a hiatus hernia. Have you been checked for that?

• I saw a Myopractor, and he said he fixed my hiatus hernia. He certainly gave me a going over, but, I didn’t notice a difference. He was a believer in the acid alkaline balance, and suggested I adjust myself to be more alkaline. I think he has good intentions, I’m just not buying the acid alkaline thing. I was thinking I should find a good Chiropractor that also works soft tissue.

Anyway, a endoscopy also showed a mild hiatus hernia, years ago. The GI Doc made no recommendation that I can recall – maybe PPIs (I’m not doing those anymore, either).

So, you’re right. I just think I can be doing more to fix my gut. I have a slight bowel irritation, and things move just a little slow, IMO. Less than one BM per day.

Thanks a lot.

• gabriella kadar says:

Some small hiatus hernias slip. They can go back into the abdominal cavity. If this can happen, it will if the stomach is not distended (small meals) and if it is not containing much food at bedtime. There are some foods to avoid in order to reduce gastric irritability. Coffee, for example. Acidic fibrous fruits (apples, strawberries, blackberries etc.) Losing weight if there is a lot of intra-abdominal fat. This is actually the easiest fat to lose. It’s the most reactive. Subcutaneous fat (on the abdomen) takes a lot longer to lose.

You’ll know right away if it slips back down because the acid reflux stops.

• gabriella kadar says:

Also avoiding foods that cause bloating. Bloating can happen in the stomach and the small intestine.

Some people swallow a lot of air. This happens when someone is anxious or has pain in the guts. Eating slowly helps.

• Thanks gabriella.

I’ve tried most everything ever suggested (by anyone).

I get the bloating and belching a bit. I was thinking that SIBO was the underlying cause of that, and supplementing PS would flush that bacteria out, or down to where it belongs.

• gabriella kadar says:

John Es, I’m not a fan of ‘elimination diets’, but sometimes that’s the only way to find out what’s going on with any one person.

Back a few years ago, I got the H1N1 vaccine. Two weeks later….. I’m not going to go back over the details of how this affected my bowels and caused swelling of the distal joints in my fingers (also reported by many my colleagues who had the vaccine. You can imagine with the work we do, painful swollen finger joints are a real concern). Several weeks into this business that would not go away and after my doctor denied that any of this could possibly be from the vaccine (squalene?) I decided to go on a fatty fish only diet for 2 weeks. Nothing else eaten (except drank my tea with lactose free milk in the a.m.) but mackerel, sardines, salmon, stickleback, and steelhead trout. The guts ‘healed’. I figured the combination of small amounts of glucose from the lactose free milk plus zero ‘roughage with great stimulation of gall bladder and pancreas plus the anti-inflammatory action of the omega 3s should work. Thankfully it did because if it didn’t, I would have been in really big trouble. I did the Vilhjalmur Steffanson diet…. like when he lived with the Inuit. Didn’t appear to do him any harm.

That’s the sort of thing you’d need to do to figure out what’s up. I’m sure it seems rather extreme what I did, but I had to figure this out in a scientific logical fashion. Fatty fish is nutrient dense so small volumes go a long way. Something went majorly awry in my digestive tract. Interesting how the inflammation resulting from the vaccine also caused joint issues.

• gabriella,

The elimination diet approach was what got me going down the paleo road in Jan. 2013. I thought it worked. My symptoms were almost gone after a couple of months, and I was considering ditching my bed wedge. Then, it all came back. I pushed the carbs even lower, to no avail. This was extreme paleo – vlc, no dairy, no salt – carrots were an indulgence.

At that point, I started supplementing with betaine HCl, and noticed a decent improvement. I can probably stop the HCl, now, given my stool analysis, but, this is what has me thinking I can improve my digestion in various ways. Fermented foods seem to help (or don’t hurt). I’m working starchy carbs back in, mostly parboiled rice and winter squash.

I’ve considered SCD, GAPS, etc. I actually think SCD might work. I seem to be okay with the foods on the intro diet.

Anyway, I appreciate all you time and wisdom!

4. Charles said:

“The lighting is different, but in person the difference in the swelling and puffiness is much more obvious. And the change in skin tone as well.”

And therein lies the rub. I celebrate your success, Charles, and your GF’s as well, but is there any way you could post another “after” photo using the same lighting and orientation of your face? Perhaps the change would be more obvious. I thought you looked great in both photos (not old and older) and really couldn’t detect much difference. Just so you know, I’m 62, too, so hopefully you won’t think I’m guilty of age bias.

• I didn’t know this was a dating site! You’ll see the same if you do the RS thing right. This shouldn’t be a decider. People noticed it in me, and I saw the same thing in my girlfriend who’s been doing PS for 3-4 months. I had been away on a business trip for a couple of weeks and came back and said, “How much weight have you lost???” And she said none, but that she had noticed her face thinner as well. And this was independent of my thinking the same thing about myself after people had mentioned it. So it’s real.

• Perhaps you need to reread my post, Charles. I complimented you because, as I said, I thought you looked great in both pictures. I did not imply your results weren’t real, nor did I indicate I was interested in a date with you.

• I think Charles was being playfully sporting with you. It’s a shame people can’t engage in that sort of banter anymore.

• Richard has it right. That was playful banter…

• I totally agree, Richard. After I responded to Charles, I wondered if I had misunderstood what he said. The problem is that this medium is brittle, and I’m pretty used to being blasted out of the blue for anything I say even if it’s innocuous.

Anyway, I really meant it when I said I thought you looked great in both photos, Charles.

And, by the way, I love to engage with playful banter;…when I know that’s what I’m dealing with. Sometimes it takes more than one pass…and we are dealing with the internet…and the unknown..

• Sorry, Charles,

I misinterpreted.

5. Yeah, I’m with Judy – I believe your results are very real but I too would like to see a non-orange version of your current self. Great story – thanks for sharing it.

• thanks, Lani,

It’s nice to know I’m not alone. It would be nice if Charles would post an after picture with the same lighting as the before and with the same angle of the face. Perhaps we could see the change he talks about. I’m sure it’s real, but I cannot see the difference.

6. Charles, if Judy won’t ‘do’ you I will!

Ok, just kidding, I’m really here to just ruin your day. All you have done is prove that this study is correct in it’s assertion that increased RS consumption leads to whole-body reduction in inflammation.

Basically all you have done is to activate your ‘peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma expression’ which led to a reduction in inflammation. Nothing special. Yawn.

But, seriously, good job! And I have immensely enjoyed our many conversations and exchanges of studies and papers. I wish I had more time to chat with you on some of them, but please know that I file every single one away and look at them all. I really liked the one you sent today about gut bugs and Vit D.

Thanks for putting yourself out there and keeping up with the convo, we are going to need some good ambassadors to carry this forward and I like seeing people get smart and not rely on Richard and I for every single answer.

• “Charles, if Judy won’t ‘do’ you I will!”

Good dog, tatertot! All I said was I wasn’t interested in a date. Does that make Charles undesirable to me? NO! It means I have someone else in my life, and I don’t even know Charles. Jeez. I expected more from you tater.

• Judy, you just get done, mea culpaing to Charles, turn right around and do the EXACT same thing to Tim.

Leading all men for miles to run as fucking far away from you as humanly possible.

There is literally nothing worse in the world than a woman with a thin skin and a chip on her shoulder.

• Joe:

Made sure Tim saw it. He has all the stuff. In terms of the amount and cooked or not cooked, this has all been completely hashed out and it’s valid.

Incidentally, you can work this out in your head. grate a raw potato into water, smash it up a bit, then cheesecloth it What you’ll see in the bottom is exactly what BRM is, and it’s 78% RS by weight, with the rest being moisture in the granule itself. When you cook it, they become little popcorns.

Another test you can do is dose 4-8 TBS and check your BG over time. Many have done this and it’s been verified to have little to no effect on glucose. Take the same amount in a glass of water, microwave a minute or two, then consume the gel, same BG test.

Incidentally, BRM is not the manufacturer, they’re a marketing company / distributor. They have no idea how potato starch is manufactured.

• The glucose test isn’t a very accurate test to demonstrate a high RS content.

So if I have this correct, you don’t think it’s cooked? If it was, you’re saying they’d be little popcorns?

When I emailed them, they told me it was – but you’re saying they don’t know bec they’re only marketers….?

Interesting. And the manufacturers has verified to you how they make it?

If it has 78% RS, I’d be surprised, but accept it if the evidence was decent. Anyway, the RS content aside, inflammation is an issue for me with it, which I don’t experience with other sources of RS – bananas and legumes. Am I unique in this regard or have other users complained of this?

• No, Joe, it’s an accurate way to demonstrate that it’s not rapidly digesting starch. And, if you do the second test and get a nice spike in BG, then what are you going to conclude.

It’s not that I don’t think it’s not cooked, its that I know it. Tim tracked this down but I forget the details. He’s leaving got Hawaii in the AM, so don’t know when he’ll be able to follow up. Anyway, the reason BMR is saying this is because the raw potatoes are first blasted with hot water to clean them. They aren’t cooked.

(This has all been covered in comments a bazillion times, incidentally. There are now about 60 posts on RS and many thousands of comments.)

Go get a bag of BMR potato flour. That’s cooked potato. Compare the difference. Put both in separate glasses of water, watch how they behave. Make your own PS as described above. Compare to the BRM (same thing, sinks to the bottom, forms a non-Newtonian fluid).

In terms of the inflammation, weird. A few people get autoimmune flair ups, so it’s certainly plausible. I myself have sinus allergies that are much better on a real food (paleo) diet, but still a drag sometimes and PS (I also use green banana and green plantain flour, plus the food sources…cooked & cooled rice, potatoes and beans for the retrograde RS). Anyway, some people have reported that taking SBOs alleviated some symptoms so nearly 2 weeks now I said what the hell.

– Prescript Assist
      – AOR Probiotic-3
      – Primal Defense

I’ve taken probiotics (the standard lacto ones, or whatever they are) before and never noticed a thing. Wow, within like 4 days I’m a new man and its like it keeps getting better by the day. I haven’t breathed so clearly since I can remember, and my paper towel consumption has gone down dramatically.

While this isn’t looking at only PS, it’s essentially looking at ever study, and PS is used in some of them. Decreased inflammation is a clear overall result.

So, I would tend to chalk up your experience to one of those n=1 deals, not a general concern. We’ve probably collected over a thousand anecdotes worldwide from people using PS (and various brands in other countries too–I myself found some Asian product…exactly the same as BRM….also some company from somewhere sent me some certified organic PS…exactly the same as BRM) and I’d estimate that the anecdotes are 90% positive, excluding the flatulence that just about everyone gets, but is not a health concern.

Chief benefits reported:

– BG control (lower FBG, blunting of spikes)
      – Deep restful sleep and vivid dreaming
      – Resolution of chronic constipation and better bathroom stuff in general
      – Appetite suppression

On your all-food regimen, do you experience any/all of these? If so, I wouldn’t worry about it. You could try to figure out why the PS does this to you but why bother.

BTW, there’s green banana flour available now:

• Richard,

-There seems to be information that I’m missing and there are hints that you’re right, so I’d give you the benefit of the doubt, but hard evidence would be nice and convincing. I’ll wait for Tim to post the info and I’ll update my post accordingly.

-I use SBOs already and don’t notice anything, but I will give the AOR brand a go. Thx. I would like to mention that after the PS made me tired, I decided to experiment with kefir again (I don’t do well on any dairy- even kefir) and my nose started running and I got tired and foggy. Sitting there with mild brain fog, I decided to try N-Acetyl-Glucosamine – 6g. The fog lifted instantly and the finger pain took a half hour to disappear. I was surprised how well it worked.

-Out of curiosity, have you ever tried going dairy free? My suspicion is that it’s causing you problems. Casein is extremely inflammatory – like gluten. I would experiment with going a month without dairy, if you haven’t already.

“Chief benefits reported:

– BG control (lower FBG, blunting of spikes)
      – Deep restful sleep and vivid dreaming
      – Resolution of chronic constipation and better bathroom stuff in general
      – Appetite suppression”

Actually, I’ve had all of these results and the people who try it also mention it. If it is 78% RS then it’s quite telling how much RS I’m getting in my diet because I didn’t fart once from it and I took 85g (first 30g and 4 hours later 55g) – it was the first time I took it in a while. Also, the cognitive effects weren’t more acute than the ones I get from my diet.

-Will give the green bananas a go. Thx.
      Best,
      Joe

• You mentioned having joint pain – had you consulted it with a doctor to diagnose this condition? What were the results – do you have RA or something alike?

7. I’ve been doing bodyweight exercises pretty consistently for a number of years. I’ve just about fashioned a reasonable upper-body in doing so, yet lacked muscle about the neck and upper back – traps as the fashionable folk call them.

Once every couple/six months I’ve tried to address the absence by including inverted shrugs on rings in my routine – an exercise that targets the traps directly not secondarily.

Previously, no dice. Across maybe three or four reasonably sustained efforts at stimulating trap growth I saw not the slightest improvement.

Cut to last month, another effort, and 3 or 4 tbsps of PS per day, religiously, since Christmas and inconsistent PS use since last Summer: Bang. An explosion of unprecedented growth. A wonderful surprise.

My other muscles – such as they are – have not exploded but they are working suspiciously well.

Incidentally, added a few tsps of psyllium husk to the mix this week and bathroom visits are now a joy and a thing to look forward to.

8. Ulfric Douglas says:

Charles your photo Number1 is fine,
    photo Number2 is an orange mess. but could be the same person on the same day
    Please post a current photo with identical angle and lighting (including WhiteBalance) as Number1.

• UD: I may get around to that. But I’m really not trying to prove anything by this. It was just something to share with a few friends…now it’s a few hundred friends, apparently. And Richard has sent me a couple of other photos as well. But it’s real people, not Biggest Loser contestants, so the differences aren’t as dramatic as we’re used to for before/after pics. It’s noticeable in person according to a number of friends. No one should choose to do or not do this experiment based on my pictures for sure. Or do the experiment, only to prove that this is all total B.S. That’ll show us!

9. I second the request for your probiotic regime! Is it the primal defense or the primal defense ultra? how much? I am loving the potato starch but after being raised by two MDs and given at least twenty rounds of antibiotics in my childhood, my body needs all the help it can get!

10. I don’t owe you anything and neither does Charles. What you think of me is none of my business.

Just sayin’.

11. Agreed, Just Sayin. As I’ve mentioned, it would be nice to have an after photo with the same lighting, etc. as the before.

12. We heard you!

Update: Because everyone is so owed, so entitled; because I have a blog and happen to post stuff people can read, not read, love, hate, or be indifferent too: the ENTITLED are a very special bunch. They’re very special. With very special needs.

This new photo set is for them, just because they’re so special.

[NEW PHOTO SET]

• Hey, Just Sayin. I’m confused why the color is an issue at all. It’s not intended to make note of a change in skin tone, just a change in general structure/puffiness. Who cares what the colors are? I sure as hell don’t, and I’m not sure why you should.

• This was not meant to be a full investigation of all aspects of inflammation or facial puffiness or anything else. It was meant to be an interesting phenomenon that others might also notice in themselves. As Michelle notes in the post about her pictures, this wasn’t a scientific study. We both just had some pictures randomly taken before and after starting the RS. It wasn’t intended to be “proof” of anything, and anyone that thinks a picture can prove anything these days isn’t paying attention. I have friends who could color my face and skin to look perfect, and I guarantee you wouldn’t be able to tell.

Please note also that the title is “facial recomposition,” and says nothing about skin tone. Nor did I in my notes. So you are criticizing these pictures for something they were never intended to show. Make sense?

• And the best way to determine if this is a real phenomenon is to do the RS experiment yourself for a few months and see. And take pictures before and after of yourself and look at them.

Inflammation may be of many types, however. Systemic inflammation may or may not show up as redness, depending on a hell of a lot of factors.

Have you tried supplementing with RS yet?

• Oh, and here’s what my mom said about the second set of pictures, “That still is amazing, looks like the guy in the first picture had a face lift.”

I’m hoping you’re not calling out my mom.

• “Duh, we were calling you out not acting entitled.”

This is my place sir, and I define the terms here, as I have explicated. You insist on asserting your entitlement, sir. I have refused to entertain your demands. I don’t particularly care what you think about that. I hope it’s clear enough. In case not: don’t care.

• Charles, waste of time. Always say no to un entitled demands. Nobody has any standing or entitlement here. They take it or leave it and nobody should give a care in the world as to which they choose.

13. See the Update Judy. It’s Especially for Very Special People like you.

It’s fully intended to meet your every desire and expectation. Because that’s what I’m all about. Nothing is too much for Judy.

14. Here’s what I just put out on social media.

~~~

I have a heavy heart. Some folks were incensed that the side to side photo of Charles was problematic, because it showed a left profile in different lighting. Charles and I got together, came to Jesus, and he produced another photo.

We’re so sorry. See the updated photo set. The update is toward the bottom of the post. So humbling. At first, I just thought people were being unreasonable, so I hope I’ve corrected all that and Lord knows, my readers are owed everything from me. I owe them no limit of working my fingers to the bone to produce nothing but total quality for their free reading enjoyment.

Their entitlement is my life’s work.

15. Thanks for all the good information on RS. However, I am yet to come across any type of information about but those of us who cannot tolerate potato starch should do. Even an eighth of a teaspoon causes genourmous bloating for me (as does carbohydrate and fiber in general) Any sage advice?

• Webraven:

For RS, try green bananas and green plantains (search the blog). Also the flours for both.

You also may be missing bugs needed, so soil based probiotics. The three I take:

-Prescript Assist
      -AOR Probiotic-3
      -Primal Defense Ultra

I take 2 per day of each, split morning and night. I thought I was doing fine on just the RS. Didn’t know what I was missing. More on that later in a post.

• Webraven, I am also unable to tolerate small amounts of potato starch – surprising, because potatoes have been on my menu a few times a week for years. Unfortunately, tapioca starch turned out to be just as bad, and I have a suspicion that green plantain chips may have made my symptoms (heartburn, dyspepsia, upper GI distress) worse as well. I’ve never suspected I might have issues with SIBO until a few rounds of N=1 with potato starch. Now I think the RS created a monster in my small bowel.

I’m going to cut out all starch for a bit in hopes of starving the critters, and start some SBO probiotics as Richard is suggesting.

16. Ulfric Douglas says:

Charles your neck is so much thinner in the photo on the right,
    however it is equally dissimilar to the photo on the left as the original orange mess.
    Its OK for Richard to deliberately miss the point, this is an interesting blog and results are results.
    It would have been even more OK to go to a window in daylight and take a picture that resembled the photo on the left.
    You are a polite chap Charles, nice to meet you.

• Ulfric: I took that with my iPhone, next to a window. But it was Pacific Northwest late afternoon, so the light is what you get. And as I said, it’s not about changes in skin tone. I don’t know that’s been very dramatic. It’s about the less “puffiness.” That could be reduced inflammation, as someone suggested, or simply better elimination overall. I’m not sure, but whatever it is, it’s probably a good thing. And I’ve put on a couple of pounds rather than lost anything, so it’s not weight loss…

17. Judy:

I was curious, so I just searched the comment stream and seems you’ve been commenting for quite a while. Sorry I didn’t remember you as such, but when people choose not to use a full name or at least a descriptive handle like “DuckDogers” or something, then I just don’t remember. “Marie” would be an exception to that but she was so ferocious that she made herself stick out way back.

I also noticed that you stepped stuff up in the last few months, clear interest in RS and all of that.

It’s probably my fault for so long encouraging bad behavior in comments and I’m the most guilty of all, but I have changed the rules, for many reasons, foremost of which is time and attention. Whereas, I could deal with someone walking into my living room, hiking down trou and taking a dump right in the middle—I’d just fling it on them, it’s now just a distraction I no longer find fun or interesting.

Sorry.

I’ll delete your comments, now.

18. charles which picture are you supposed to look younger and thinner in and why is one darker?

19. The pictures are darker because they were take at different times, in different lighting, with different cameras, six months apart.

20. I don’t know what all the fuss is about in regards to angle and lighting/color…there is a very definite and obvious difference in the 2 pictures to my eyes. Looking quite well there Charles! :) I myself have only just started with PS today as i’m hoping it will be of some benefit with my T2 diabetes. Found your site recently Richard and so far have found it quite interesting and enlightening. Thank you for your efforts and for making this freely available for all who wish to learn.

21. I didn’t want to admit it but ketosis has actually given me brain fog issues too. I just got a bunch of white rice pasta in the mail and have two packages of potato starch in the pantry waiting to be used up. I’ll take a picture of my pre-RS/fiber/starch deep ketosis-driven psoriasis patches, and maybe the persistent acne that hasn’t gone away either, and give an update in a few months, hopefully I will see improvements by then!

• The ketosis-exacerbated brain fog, which was very noticeable, really worried me, as I had been doing periods of ketosis since the 70s and never experienced it before. That’s one of the things that motivated me to try the potato starch and probiotics and the improvement has been dramatic. I had even started to take some drugs to help focus, and after a couple of months of PS stopped those and my cognitive functioning was better than it had been with the drugs.

Psoriasis also responds to Omega-3s BTW, in my experience. And you might want to take a look at these posts:

• That’s really interesting, I guess the gut-brain connection is very strong after all. I really hope that the RS + probiotics will help clear up the brain fog for me as well, it seems to be the thing I’ve neglected for the past 8 or 9 months doing VLC. I’ve been eating a serving of white rice per meal and that has helped with the brain fog a little bit even, and my weight loss hasn’t actually reversed in any way. Do you mean Omega-3 supplementation or just emphasizing foods high in Omega-3? I have a really good source of grass/hay-fed lamb and foraged duck eggs/meat nearby so that could definitely be a starting place. Thanks for the links, the psoriasis is stressing me out a bit but I know that it will clear up with the right approach and I’m sure it’s either gut dysbiosis of some sort (leaky gut too?) or maybe an infection. I’m very thankful for the information on this site as well!

22. Hmm. I’m not so sure that I do have psoriasis anymore. They are reddish-pink, scaly, and also non-itchy patches showing up on the back of my hands. I’m starting to think that they are a reaction to something or a sign of gut flora imbalance brought on by VLC for 8 or 9 months with little starch or fiber consistently. They’re not really a nuisance but just kind of irritating to look at and also worrying since they’ve persisted for two-ish months and spread a little bit, but still restricted to the back of my hands. Maybe it’s a deficiency in something?