There are many who just hate it when I tout this sort of thing and they mock me for doing it. So, that’s why I’m posting it. I love hate. …Perhaps more than I love love.
Here’s what you’ve gone and did.
All Time Record
Unfortunately, owing to a freak WordPress fart Thursday afternoon that took until Friday morning to resolve (Thanks Alec and Karol of Foliovision, in Bratislava), there’s about 5,000 visits and 10,000 page views not accounted for, so call it 165,000 visits and 307,000 page views. Absolute unique visits were about 85,000. That means: 85,000 unique individuals read stuff here in January, most probably on resistant starch. You might note that if one Googles ‘resistant starch,’ that tag link is the top entry, even above Wikipedia. Hey, if I can best my old USENET and email friend Jimbo Wales on something in Google, it’s a good day.
Prior to the surge that began in November, the previous record was about 120,000 visits in Jan of 2010, which was a surge from Dec 31, 2009 links from boingboing & FARK, where my monthly average was 40,000 visits. Took down the server and Alec, mentioned above, left a New Year’s Eve Party to get me back up and running.
In other news, my Alexa Ranking is back to better than ever. Back in 2011, it was at about 90,000 (out of 650 million websites in the world). Then—perhaps because of a change in algorithm—all the Paleo sites (including Sisson, Wolf, et al) lost about half their ranking almost overnight. So, Sisson went from 3K to 6K, Wolf 30K to 60k, etc. I went to about 160K and it declined to about 180K at its worst. Happy to report it is now back to its best ever, about 83K.
In terms of a Misogyny Update, I’m fine with the fact that guys are underrepresented here (probably jerking off to Internet porn) while the ladies are overrepresented, based on Internet averages. Also, that I don’t appeal much to the uneducated, quitters, nor the hoity-toity…but just right—people with some degree of degree, in something, and got it done.
Thanks in particular to:
- Tatertot Tim Steele,who gets more credit than I. The credit that accrues to me is that I heard him out and took a risk that he was right. Arguably among the top 5 best decisions of my life, and neener-neener to those who had the opportunity but didn’t take it. None of this would be like this, without him. Very special dude. I chatted with Jackie, his wife, on the phone last night and there’s upstream credit there, too.
- Robb Wolf, who is basically mentioning resistant starch on every podcast he does, now, saying it has given him his best digestion in 15 years.
- Chris Kresser (New book, BTW: Your Personal Paleo Code: The 3-Step Plan to Lose Weight, Reverse Disease, and Stay Fit and Healthy for Life), who has mentioned this blog and resistant starch in numerous blog posts, tweets, and podcasts.
- Dr. Paul Jaminet, the sweetest and fairest man “in” Paleo. He has been so kind to me over the years, and while he has some reservations about RS (and me, too :), he is open to it and regularly alerts his followers in various places to evaluate for themselves. Paul would never behave as badly as I do, but I suppose he has an intuitive sense of where my heart really is. He’s the epitome of a Good Christian Man in that regard.
- Mark Sisson, who has not only included resistant starch in a post with a link here, but provides a forum for his readers from which links to posts here happen daily.
- Dr. Norm Robillard and Dr. Mike Eades. Neither are sold on the benefits of RS, but both listen. Mike forwarded my stuff to Norm, a microbiologist and researcher, proprietor of the Digestive Health Institute. He, Tim, and I have been exchanging email ever since. He looks at everything we do, listens to all the podcasts and just recently expressed increased interest in RS.
- Dr. Bill Lagakos, Calories Proper. Bill has been quite active in both Twitter and his blog in helping promote (with reservations) the work Tim and I are doing. Bill and Tim are collaborating on a separate project, but it’s Top Secret.
- Jimmy Moore, everyone’s favorite low carb advocate. I took Jimmy to task, he showed what he was made of; not fear, and I can have any level of disagreement with a man but honesty and fearlessness overshadow that always. Jimmy walks that talk, with me.
- Dr. BG (Grace), Animal Pharm (link removed). Grace worked behind the scenes for months on RS potential, emailing out to various PBWs (Paleo Big Wigs), trying to get them to take a look. Tim also collaborated with her in a 7-Part series on her blog dealing with SIBO (link removed). Grace has now been incorporated into the book as Science Editor. I just now got an email from Tim about how well they’re working together.
- Steve Cooksey, Diabetes Warrior, who is single handedly leading the charge with diabetics who are having the best blood glucose control of their diabetic lives, having to reduce meds, helping them to keep from going hypoglycemic when they don’t.
- All the many bloggers, podcasters, forum frequenters and commenters from other blogs who send people here to check it out, daily.
- All the FTA commenters who have done so much to supplement posts with your n=1 self experiments, answering newbie questions, creating various diversions and all you do to make my posts far more of an experience for those who like comments.
- All the readers from all the above sources and in particular, those native readers who’ve stuck around through thick and thin all theses years, some even way back to the 2003 beginning 10 years ago or, about 3,700 days and 3,700 posts ago. All of the foregoing is impossible without you.
- Such a list wouldn’t be complete without thanking the haters, the envious, the mockers and jokers. Some of you probably end up sending more traffic my way than most fans, who just open their browsers and read. I’m so glad I’ve gotten under your skin! I hope to do better in the future and give you even more to stew about, hate on, and lose sleep over. So, thank you, lemons, for my lemonade.
Alright. The times they are a chaingin’ and obviously, predictions of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. Don’t some of you just hate that? I’ll bet you do, and make no mistake: I’m rubbing your faces in it and lafing.