Body Recomposition Data: On Resistant Starch and SBO Probiotics

About a month ago I posted about a new study showing that resistant starch, rather than lead to weight loss, per se, instead leads to important fat loss and lean gains, which could even be growth of colon tissue and a bloom in the population of microbiota which are part of your lean mass.

[...] these data provide convincing evidence that the gut microbiome can play a crucial role in the absorption and use of dietary nutrients as well as exhorting a strong influence the development of obesity. [...]

[...] there is strong evidence that RS lowers whole-body and visceral adiposity. The magnitude of these changes in adiposity are very large and sufficient to independently improve insulin sensitivity, and reduce the risk of diabetes, CVD, and certain cancers.

At the same time, lots of folks were reporting in comments that while they had not lost much if any weight (some have; and I have), and some had evan gained, they nonetheless reported things like a leaner face and neck, and better fitting pants.

Well beyond the anecdotes, I now have a bit over a month's worth of data from a reader that I tossed into a chart. The reader writes:

I've been taking 4T of potato starch since late January. I experienced the shift in appetite (not nearly as hungry all of the time), but little else, well, except the fartage. In 6 weeks, there was no reduction in either volume or stench. The whole time, I was peeling paint with the stink. Then I saw your post on adding the probiotics to the mix, so I ordered all 3 mentioned.

They showed up March 1st and I started adding them, along with Banana Flour and FOS to my morning smoothie. It seems that one of those probiotics added whatever was necessary to tame the fartage. In the last 2 weeks, I've finally gone through the cycle others described of the reduction in stink and volume.

More interestingly, my body fat measuring scale is reporting a trend worth sharing. Prior to Feb, the weight and body fat composition had remained relatively stable for several months (much to my disappointment). But, the bugs (and I haven't changed anything else I can tell over the last 2 weeks) are seriously doing something. There was a slight trend toward improvement before the probiotic, but it took off quickly once I added them.

Just thought I'd share. Looking forward to the book.

Data

Chart

So this is pretty dammed interesting, wouldn't you say? Some observations:

1. About a 10 pound overall weight gain in 5 weeks.
  2. An overall 6% reduction in body fat percentage in the same period (I don't really know about those scale measuring devices in terms of accuracy, but it's the relative numbers that matter and in this case, they're very linear).
  3. Notice the 10-pound drop and rebound—about a pound per day on average—and that it began right when he began taking the probiotics.

All very interesting. Does anyone still have any doubt that the gut biome, and its proper care and feeding, have a profound impact on overall body composition? I suspect that in the long run with plain sensible eating, weight will stabilize or maybe even drop, along with a steady decrease in fat mass down to more human levels of 20ish percent. We'll see. Keep the reports coming and if you have it in you to record data like this, all the better.

Resources:

Free The Animal is supported by readers like yourself shopping Amazon and CLICKING HERE to do so. Costs you nothing but sure helps out around here quite a lot. Always appreciated.

Comments

1. bornagain says:

I have no doubt that the readings on the body fat meter have changed, but about 17 pounds of lean tissue gain in a bit over a month! I doubt that very much.

• Keep in mind a couple of things:

1. 280-290 is a big person. so 17 pounds is 5.8%. If you were talking a 150 pounder, you’re talking 8.7 pounds.

2. People also seem to forget that a bloom of gut bugs is lean mass. Combine that with said big person, that the gut biome can more than double in population in a short period, and you’ve got like maybe 5 pounds accounted for right there.

• bornagain says:

Good point on the gut biomass.

• It doesn’t mean that it all is muscle (which is unlikely, I’ll grant you that, but that is more info than provided). Lean mass is everything other than body fat that makes up your body weight, so includes muscle, water retention, food in the gut, gut bacteria, etc.

As well as bacteria can reproduce at a rapid rate. Though I have no idea about how dense they can all be crammed together (and what affect it would have on weight due to solely bacteria by changing the density).

• Paul adds insight:

“When a zero-carb dieter starts eating plant foods, suddenly gut bacteria have a lot of food, and can multiply many-fold. Bacteria can double their numbers in 20 minutes, and yeast in a few hours. That means that bacterial populations can increase 8-fold in an hour, 4000-fold in 4 hours, and ten million fold in 8 hours. Yeast can increase 4000-fold in 24 hours.”

Add to that, in animal studies, RS increases colon tissue mass both in length and wall thickness.

• LeonRover says:

One of the popular memes in popular culture as informed by super “sports physiology” is a requirement to be optimally hydrated ; so every jogger carries 500 ml of Evian.

This means that the optimal water volume (or mass) stays where it oughta.

From a brief survey of Wiki, Google etc. I understand that “Bacteria make up most of the flora in the colon and up to 60% of the dry mass of feces”.

A more common sense hypothesis is that the volume (and mass) of shit keeps up with an now optimal mass of flora. Regrettably there is an optimal mass of shit accompanying the flora.

I can envisage that eventually the Marketeers of potato starch, fermented vegetable etc. will be selling the notion of maintaining maintaining that there is an optimal level of shit that should stay where it oughta.

Hey, but then I’m just skeptic that rarely is taken in by the “expert opinion” of the hawkers of liquid serpentine fat.

Sláinte ar Lá Naomh Pháraig

• LeonRover says:

PS erratum for Seán: Phádraig

• DuckDodgers says:

Well, that’s just fun. Turn that around and that could mean that a chunk of the weight loss people see on a low carb diet is nothing more than their gut biome evaporating.

• Duck, you are just too smart at this outside the box thinking :-) Wish I had some of your ability!

T-Nat

• “Turn that around and that could mean that a chunk of the weight loss people see on a low carb diet is nothing more than their gut biome evaporating.”

Not to mention dieresis. There’s no doubt a lot of people experience fat loss on LC, but it’s because they eat less…until the “stall,” that is.

Excerpt:

So how do we take the next step, beyond the huge value LC had been to get off that initial 40, 50, 60, 80, 160, 320 pounds (60 in my case)? We recognize that it wasn’t really any magic about LC that got us there. LC simply, effectively, lowered our food reward/palatability and as a consequence, we spontaneously lowered our average daily intake of calories.

Calories count.

So let’s run some example number for shits, giggles…and in hopes of a Second Coming (I didn’t specify what kind).

…Let’s suppose a 250 pound male body, 5′ 10″, 50yo, light to moderate get-off-his-ass level. Daily burn is about 3,500 calories.

He goes Low carb. His target is 160 pounds, 90 pounds away…because that’s the last time he remembers where a hot chick approached him and, well….she did nasty things to him. He’s been told he doesn’t need to count calories or anything—that they don’t matter, eat to satiety—under a certain set of proscriptions having to do with carbohydrate per se.

And it’s exactly what he does. After the initial water weight loss and adjustment period, he settles in. Since he doesn’t count calories, let me do so, hypothetically. …Wow, amazing, and this does go to the asset side of the Balance Sheet. He’s not doing anything like 3,500 calories per day. Not even close. Eating ad libitum, he’s naturally consuming about 2,800 calories for a 700 calorie deficit per day, or about a pound lost per 5 days. He feels awesome, great…because even though in big caloric deficit, he’s still on a very high fat diet and he’s not really hungry too often. He’s euphoric. The pounds are melting off. He’s an LC believer for life. It borders on Enlightenment. It’s tantamount to a religious experience or, a Second Coming.

This goes on for just short of a year, about 350 days if my math is correct. He’s livin’ it up, low-carb style. He’s doing himself, friends, and family a huge favor. Don’t discount that. But in the end, he’s accountable mostly to himself, and in that end, he stalls. He stalls, not at his 160 pound goal where hot chicks might once again do nasty things to him, but at 180 pounds, 20 pounds away. He’s gonna have to do something, or settle for 2nd string in the chick department. How can this be? Low carb is magic. He’s proved it. Over the space of an entire year!

…Or so he thinks.

What he only proved, however, is that calories count. Yea, he may have gorged on the fatty meat one night to the tune of pounds and huge calories and couldn’t wait to tell you. But like my dear late grandmother—while I was growing up in Reno—only ever told us about her jackpots at the slots, and never the amount she fed it regularly…what he didn’t tell you is that the next day, he didn’t eat much at all. He was satiated. It all subtracts down, over time.

As it tuns out, 2,800 average daily calories is about the requirement for a 50 year old guy, 180 pounds, 5′ 10″, who gets off his ass now and then. …Unfortunately, fantasizing about the hot chicks in waiting doesn’t burn a whole lot.

Are you beginning to see where I’m going? Low carb was indeed effective. But it was only a means to the end that really worked. Actually, two means: his food palatability/reward was diminished, he spontaneously lowered caloric intake to an ad libitum level of a 180 pound man (2,800 calories), and he lost the weight. A year later, right on schedule, he weighs 180. After months and months or years and years, he begins to become disillusioned about low carb. But the blindspot, because “calories don’t count on low carb,” is that he never tried 2,600 calories daily on average, the requirement for a 160lb man with his parameters. But, had he done that, he’d have been hungry and low carb is a lot about not having to feel hungry. It’s baked into the low carb—and hopefully gluten free—cake. So low carb failed him?

• Charles says:

Hunger signalling is a key element of fat loss. Ketogenic and LC diets work well, as RN points out, because they reduce hunger. Hunger is probably the strongest drive, and any fat-loss program that doesn’t either reduce or improve hunger signalling is not going to work for most people in the long term. Conscious control of eating is really difficult to do day after day, week after week.

Relating that to our RS experiments, a damaged gut biome is a stupid gut biome. And I’d posit (along with others here) that a damaged gut biome is going to do stupid things and signal stupid cravings that have more to do with attempting to deal with symptoms of the ongoing damage, or be driven by more stupid bacteria, bacteria that should be kept under control by smarter bacteria.

Many years ago, out of a sense of self-preservation, I learned to consciously control my eating probably better than just about anyone I’ve met. At the time, I didn’t want to be fat and/or tired, and then I didn’t want to be depressed or even entertain suicidal thoughts. Those two things were awful enough to motivate me. But recent research has demonstrated that you only have so much willpower and decision-making ability, and you can use it up on any given day, and your willpower and decision-making ability degrades.

What I’ve experienced after a few months on RS and probiotics, and this seems to be common among the experimenters, is that hunger signalling is significantly improved. I’m often just not hungry, and besides that, my brains seems to be able to respond much more easily/gracefully to satiation signals. Prior to this, I would get satiation signals, but it would take an act of will to respond to them. I also seem to be craving better stuff, and it’s easier to reject stuff that I know will lead to negative outcomes–like that 3rd, 4th and 5th glass of wine. I think that’s both a smarter biome and a less-depleted reservoir of will-power and decision-making “stuff.” And I imagine we will be able to connect that to neurochemicals (serotonin, dopamine, etc.) before too long if it hasn’t already happened. We need to talk about leptin and ghrelin, but there’s our conscious/unconscious reaction to those as well.

We are changing our brain as well as our gut…and it’s getting harder for me to think of them as two separate things…

• @Charles

Nicely put. I tried to convey the same last night to my wife at dinner when she congratulated me on my willpower. I had no interest in the bread put on our table, and no desire to even try her dessert. I tried to explain it has nothing to do with willpower, at least mine anyway, but she remains dubious. After a lifetime of suffering from the highs and crashes of hypoglycemia (that plagues my whole family), I am loving a normal life of eating and food.

• SteveRN says:

This is what I hope for. I just ordered the probiotics and other stuff to make the smoothies. Been doing the PS since the begining, and quite frankly, the last few months, my craving for food has gone up, with my weigh, and pants fitting tighter. Not the direction I am looking to go. It has nothing to do with hunger, I just constanly want to eat. Now, I have always been like this , to an extent, but it has gotten harder to resist the last few months. I have wondered if maybe I am feeding the wrong bugs, so maybe I need to get the right ones in place. Your comment gives me hope. Not having a desire to eat until my tummy rumbles for a bit sounds like a dream. I know it is how it is supposed to be, I have just never been there. My whole life seems to have been about what I am going to eat next and when. I wish I could blame it on a bad childhood, eating my emotions and all that, but, I just love eating. It will be interesting to see what happens.

• SteveRN, Good luck! I still enjoy eating as much as ever, but I cannot eat as much. When I get full, I cannot even force another bite in my mouth – no willpower needed. I have not had an uncontrolled food craving since early November. Also no hypoglycemia shakes or nausea.

I cannot speak to the damaged gut, but in my own diet I emphasize fiber. When I first started, I’d get 75-80 g per day (not including RS). As my weight came down (I am actually below my target weight and about what I weighed when I was in good shape in high school), I could not consistently get that much fiber without supplementing. So now I supplement inulin, FOS, glucomannan, psyllium, baobab, and maybe something else to about 35 or 40 g per day. I still get about 40 g consistently from food. I also eat about 250 g of kimchi every day, not the cabbage kind, but those made from leeks, scallions, and baby radishes. As long it is real kimchi – not pasteurized – it is also a source of soil-based organisms. I take one prescript assist once per day.

I’d fart around all day, but for some reason the recent addition of glucomannan has significantly cut down the gas.

I also make sure I get plenty of good fats (coconut oil and fats from grass fed animals) and avoid all the bad ones.

I do not avoid carbs, although I make sure they are good ones, like rice, tubers, etc. I sometimes have to let others in my family chose restaurants, and maybe pasta or pizza will be the only choices. This presents no problem for me.

Since I am sort of reporting my n=1 here, one kind of funny thing has happened to me: no matter if I work out, skip meals, eat at restaurants, lie on the couch all day, my weight is almost the same day-by-day until I lose a pound. Then it is virtually the same until I lose the next one. I have weighed the same now the last 4 days. The week before, one pound more for 6 of 7 days. And the one day was just one pound less (what I weigh this week). It makes weighing every day fun! This has been going on for several weeks.

Good luck!

• I’m new here and fascinated. I have no experience with Paleo (not even 100% sure what exactly it is) but have some prior (fantastic) experience with the SBO’s. In 2006 after reading Jordan Rubin’s book, The Maker’s Diet and Mary Enig/Sally Fallon’s Eat Fat, Lose Fat, I started using coconut oil (about 2-4 T a day) and also used Maker’s Diet Perfect Food, which has the same SBO’s as Primal Defense. I made a number of other dietary adjustments in line with The Maker’s Diet (which is much like the principles taught by Weston Price). It became SO EASY to choose healthy foods and the cravings for unhealthy things just vanished. I quite effortlessly lost 50 lb. I just did not crave foods that I’ve always loved: bread (I did eat Food for Life sprouted grain bread), PIZZA, pasta, sweets, chocolate (Snickers!), soft drinks. I attributed things to the coconut oil… Due to financial hardship/lack of $ to keep buying the Perfect Food, I stopped using it, then the coconut oil, and gradually returned to a SAD. Cravings hit one day like a Mac truck. I just returned to old eating habits and all the weight is back. I tried adding coconut oil back in a while back, but did not have the same result of decreased appetite and cravings. I thought maybe it is because I’m 52 now and have hit menopause. People say you won’t be able to take weight off past that point. I again have constipation issues (that was what I did the Perfect Food for). I tried an inexpensive brand of SBO’s thinking that would do it. The results, if there were any, were not noticeable. Wondering why, I then compared labels of it and Perfect Food (=Primal Defense probiotic). The cheaper one did not have B. Subtilis. So maybe that is the particular strain I need. I have over the last year or so made efforts again to make/use probiotic foods, namely water kefir and rejuvelac, and sometimes they help the constipation and sometimes not. After coming across this blog last week I have purchased Unmodified Potato Starch from local Kroger, and have ordered Primal Defense SBO’s. I think the SBO’s will take care of the gasiness issue, because the one time in my life that I remember smelly gas NOT being a problem for me was when I was on the Garden of Life SBO’s. When $ is available, I will get the other two SBOs as well.

On another front, I’m wondering about the brain/emotion part the gut biome plays. Like Charles says they are definitely interrelated. Rubin referred to the gut as our second brain. My question is, do you think that in addition to antibiotics killing off the good guys, and in addition to a good gut biome influencing our emotions positively, if we dwell on negative emotions, than perhaps doour bodies excrete some kind of chemical(s)that negatively impact our gut biome, too–killing off good bacteria/yeast, feeding the bad ones. I imagine it could be a vicious cycle.

BTW, Charles, your pictures definitely added to the WOW factor on all this. I showed them to my daughter and husband without telling them what this was about. Just said “these are two pictures of the same man. How old do you think he is in the picture on left, and how old do you think he is in the picture on the right?. Daughter guessed 69 and 54; husband said 68-70 and 45-50. My husband is your age; was dx T2 in 2000, and there is a lot about your “before” picture (that I can’t quite put my finger on how to describe) that looks like HIM. I am really looking forward to what this PS and SBO combo can do for both of us. And my 18 yo old son who wants to gain weight and has some ADHD symptoms.

• B-R-I-L-L-I-A-N-T CHARLES~!!!!

• Steven Benton says:

What is your opinion or theory on what Dave Asprey says on his website? He states he ate 5000 high fat calories a day for a year and not having negative implications while losing weight. Believable?

• My opinion is why?

2. I’ve noticed this exact phenomenon in myself. My weight has remained stable to slightly higher but my pants, in particular, have loosened.

Side note, massive sauerkraut plus an overdose of potato starch equals refried beans plus potato starch.

3. Ozquoll says:

I tried on a pair of trousers that, a few months ago, I could not button close. Yay! They now do up properly! I raced to the bathroom and hopped on the scales…..to find I weigh precisely the same as I did when started potato starch three months ago :-(
    I know, it’s great that a bit of flub has obviously moved off my mid-section, but it was crushing to see that exact same number on the scales. Time to hit the gym…..

• That is probably jason seibs most important message, ditch the scale! How can a number be crushing when you had got the evidence in form of the pants fitting??

As for myself, I’m seeing the same results from PS. Not that hungry, no cravings, near optimal digestion and the added bonus of leaning out. Win win win and win.

Btw you are awesome Richard. Found you through Latest in Paleo and now FTA is my no1 goto page for all things interesting.

Cheers!

• Dude, or dudess, throw the damn scale away–as you see,it doesn’t give you anything but “crushing” feelings and is not a very accurate reference for what you REALLY, really want—-to be able to wear smaller clothing and look and FEEL better. As you see, you have had progress that pleases you but you “crushed” yourself with some arbitrary mark on the god damn scale.. Think about it. PLEASE. I threw my scale away decades ago because it caused more harm than good. You think another frantic workout will help this? I suffered from an eating disorder for years–the scale is a monster that will turn on you daily for no good reason. (Richard: Kind of like TMS. By the way, I healed my hip and back pain using the principles of Dr. Sarno. Doubt I would have found out about this if I hadn’t gone back to your blog. You have changed one life, for sure.)

• Some of us can handle this scale thing, some of us can’t. I accept that changes are going on inside with RS and probiotics and the mark on the weight scale is one I will ignore. I feel great, sleep better, mood up, but could give a crap what the scale says. My clothing size is stable but I feel tighter all around. I went on Paleo 2 years ago–went from a 12-14 to 6-8 size jeans in 3 months and according to the dr.–my weight hardly moved. But my body did some reconfiguration. I will go with that. I am working out also on machines at Anytime Fitness on a reasonable for my age (65) level. I am more interested that my measurement around my chest has increased necessitating a change in bra size. I was a bit freaked out about that until I realized I had some muscle growth in that area. DUH! Cheers.

• Yea, Janet, I think everyone ought read Sarno’s original book, “healing back pain,” I think it is. I couldn’t really believe at the time how just reading words on a page could alleviate pain like it did, and not woo words, either. Just a simple explanation as to how the pain is real, but it’s your head causing it, not an injury.

I think it has a lot of implications elsewhere in society having to do with people acting on perceived problems that are figments of their imagination.

• Yeah, what girl doesn’t want a bigger chest, but some of us have more than ample and too much just gets in the way. Enuf said.

• Peter ~

That was a great podcast with Coppola but the podcast (and transcript below) that really ROCKS is this one

4. Okay, I’ve been meaning to ask this for a while: do you all use actual measuring spoons for your PS “dosage” or just eyeballing it with soup spoons? Been farting like mad but perhaps am overdoing it. I take 2 heaping soup spoons once a day.

• gabriella kadar says:

Sean, I use a regular eating spoon (not the teaspoon). If I scoop up the potato starch so it looks like an ice berg, that’s too much for me. I just have it as heaping but not iceberg. Mixed with yoghurt that has ‘acidophilus, bifidus and Bulgaricus’ in it. Maybe the live culture yoghurt makes the difference. I keep the dose like this or I dream too much at night. If I don’t take potato starch, I don’t dream. Excess potato starch = bizarre dreams. Last night I ate a whole can of garbanzos plus tomatoes, feta cheese, olive oil, lime juice, asparagus and sardines. Didn’t dream. Didn’t fart or bloat either. I guess all the microbes are in their eating each other’s farts.

• I use actual measuring spoons, so my 3T of potato starch and 1T of banana flour are exact measurements.

• Harriet says:

I use actual measuring spoons flattened. So 1 tbs is 1 tbs as I was taught at school decades ago. Today I had 2 tbs tapioca in the morning plus a greenish banana and tonight will have 2.5 tbs PS.

• I use a tablespoon measure, leveling it off as I pull it out on the side of the bag. I use 2 T in am, 2 T in afternoon with water. Use a tiny wisk and stir, drink, stir, drink. Done. No muss, no fuss.

• Back at the beginning I shoved a loose 1T measuring spoon into the mason jar. No leveling, tho. Heap it up or tap it down, as needed.

• Joe Blowe says:

I brought this up a couple of months ago, asking Richard and Tim about their use of “tablespoons” of potato starch and the corresponding yield of resistant starch.

I use a kitchen scale, and I dose my PS in grams. The back of the Bob’s PS bag clearly states that One Tablespoon equals Twelve (12) Grams. By using a scale, it was easy for me to increase/decrease the dose to see what type of health/TMI changes would ensue.

I started off with 12 grams per day, took it to 15, 20, 25, etc. I’m now at 25 grams in the morning, and another 25 at bedtime. Based on Tim’s research, this provides 39 to 40 grams of *resistant* starch intake per day, 78% to 80% yield respectively.

If there is stomach upset, I can scale down knowing the exact spot which will alleviate symptoms. By using a soup spoon or somesuch — or even a leveled measuring spoon — I would never get a repeatable “precise” dose, and would never know if today’s dose is the same as yesterday’s.

I know that Richard thinks this approach is way too anal (har har, potato starch, anal). But for me, it helped in dialing in the best dose for me.

You can get cheap scales at Harbor Freight, Amazon, etc.

• Bernhard says:

Gaby.
      Iceberg spoons yeah. Really is funny how much of an iceberg fits on a spoon, probably twice to three times of a normal heaped spoon.
      Not so with home made, powdery dust like, plantain flour. But there is another difference.
      All this stuff, or the sort of end products, is/ are psychoactive, really.
      Sweet, smart, adventurous cute dreams with potato starch, especially when hyper dosing.
      Not so when started to hyper dose plantain flour last week. First time in, dunno my life, woke from a dream of horror never experienced before, some time awake it took, to get rid of this amazing fear, in my own house!
      Tried again, lesser amount this time, again, nightmare.
      Funny how even other types of starch give us such different reactions.
      Pax.

• Charles says:

I think that points to different bacteria being fed by different RS types. I think there is also a difference in the various probiotic supplements. Some affect more physical aspects, others more emotional/mental aspects. I’m experimenting with that and may have something to report in the near future.

• I’ve always had vivid dreams, colorful and convoluted. Since the RS (both potato starch and plantain), there have been a few indescribably terrifying nightmares. I don’t understand how I can feel so calm from RS, yet occasionally have the worst nightmares of my life.

• Bernhard says:

Charles
      Looking forward to hear the results of your experiments.

We too will start an experiment as soon as the Prebiotics
      – the three – arrive.
      Experience with previous Prebiotics have shown there may
      be some problems involved with kinda “leaky gut” patients.
      This time we’ll go the other way around, a little PS, Prebiotics
      soaked in it and then up the other way around with an enema.
      Let the bugs grow the colon upwards?
      Let’s see what that will do.

• Bernhard says:

Mo

Having those nightmares on both starches, have you tried just a single
      one and having same results?
      I love my “psychedelic” potato starch dreams.

• Now that I think about it, the nightmares came from both potato starch and potato starch with plantain flour. I”m awaiting a new supply of PS, so for the next few days I’ll be using the plantain flour alone. I’ll see how that goes.

5. I have been on PS and kefir for almost a month. Other than the gas I have noticed not a lot of change.

• “I have been on PS and kefir for almost a month. Other than the gas I have noticed not a lot of change.”

Well, that tears it. You are officially kicked out of the universe.

• Do you have certain health goals?

There are many reasons why you need to troubleshoot your gut if you fail to see any beneficial changes. And you can thank the antibiotics we turn to for every cough, hack and fever…

• haha yes I fail at RS :)

• It’s funny, Grace dahling, that near as I can tell from the literature, acute fever is in itself an anti-microbial in itself, especially for viruses. Could it be that our lovely benign gut bugs know how to decal with some viruses, raising our body temperature to kill them.

I don’t know, but it seems to me that their evolutionary track is way different than bacteria. They are powerfully lethal but crazy susceptible at the same time.

• I wouldn’t be surprised! Yeasts/fungi are controlled by temperatures. The evolutionary theory is that hot bloodedness evolved to control fungi.

• Looking at some of the less well people out there using resistant starch, for example here: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/the-resistant-starch-challenge-is-it-the-key-weve-been-looking-for.26976/page-51
      …it seems clear some feel they are experiencing fever as a result of supplementing.

• Might be something to explore. Of course, many have reported an increase in body temp. For myself, a few times after an indulgence meal like a big burger or a sandwich, I’ve felt like I had a fever, you know, weakness and chills. Should have measured. Persists for a few hours, and I’m fine. For some reason, on an acute basis like that, I have to consider that it could be a good thing.

• Padraic says:

Alcohol in excess of maybe two drinks does the same to me, mild flu like symptoms for a few hours. I don’t think my bugs like too much booze…not the worst thing for my health, I guess. Neat how different stuff seems to effect different people’s bugs. I wonder too if this will get better as time goes on and gut diversity increases.

• Since starting RS I have responded to alcohol completely differently than before. I can handle drinking more than I used to, but I no longer want to. I still enjoy the taste, but just a little bit is enough. It is sort of like that with everything…I don’t want to eat as much either.

Also, I used to get bloated with beer. I’m an avid homebrewer and even a few ounces of beer would make me insanely bloated. Now, nothing. Even the past two days of intense St Paddy’s celebrations have not made me bloated.

• Alie,

VERY NICE ~!!!

We have 3 detox systems — Phase 1 and 2 are in the liver and Phase 3 is within the lining of the gut/microvilli. When the gut is healthy, we detox more effectively and efficiently as well as digest gluten. My casein and gluten digestion vastly improved after I fixed my gut (but wavers sometimes — eg not enough sleep, etc).

The liver also intimately communicates with the gut. Damaged guts usually go hand in hand with liver conditions — fatty liver, NASH, poor elimination of carcinogens, etc. Cancer is absent gut commensals and deranged guts…imho

• (this is why Dr Oz still has polyps, imho)

• I’ve had the same experience with casein and gluten. Interesting. I’ve started experimenting now and again with a bit of pizza or something sugary, and I’m fine. Not that I want to eat that stuff but I always felt that if I was eating healthily and was physically in a place of strength then that stuff wouldn’t bother me much at all. The opposite happened with low carb eating. In fact, from my last blood test there was nothing glaring, but I noted that a few things were not optimal. I believe now that it was all related to gut health, and as you say, probably liver health as well.

My current self experimentation has to do with increasing RS and noting the gut health/mental health connection. I would love to see more info on that, and will be passing along my personal observations in a few weeks when I get this all figured out.

• gabriella kadar says:

Really Grace? You mean those walnuts he keeps in his pockets don’t work? LOL!

• It was pizza that start me looking for a solution, being in the IT, pizza an a liter of Coke became dinner, lunch and sometime breakfast, then one day I ate a slice, the room started to spin, sinus became balloons between my eyes and a migraine that put in the bed for three days. Peolpe say it must be gluten sensitivity or Celiac, I thought they were crazy I’m black, I can’t have Celiac disease.

• Oh did Oz have walnuts (or something else) LOL

6. I’ve noticed the same. My weight has been stable within a pound or two for months, but I’ve dropped a size and my belly is flatter.
    I also noticed that the addition of probiotics (in my case just Reuteri and lactobacillus) stopped the excessive flatulence. I’m more grateful for that the the belly I think…. Well maybe not :-)

7. giskard says:

If you now have more poo and bacteria in your belly, why would your waistline then shrink?! LOL

8. sootedninjas says:

have not seen it yet BUT thought to pass it along. I’m sure this community will be interested.

Larry Smarr – The Human Microbiome and the Revolution in Digital Health

9. Hey Richard, interesting n=1 you collected here. Makes me think bodybuilders might be partixularly interested. Do you have details of this persons diet? &/or exercise regimen as well?
    Cheers

10. Dear Anon,

Congrats on your body fat reconditioning and recovery of your broken, pathetic gut!!! It is so heartening to hear such a rapid response and improvements.

It is true that not all fiber is equal. I love PS but in trials it rarely shows dramatic weight or fat loss, whereas g plantain and g banana flour which includes resistant starch + FOS/insulin and other fibers + antioxidant botanicals will be highly correlated to fat and weight loss in the human trials.

Something special g plantain and g banana flour is that they unstick pathogens from adherence to the small intestinal lining, where wounds are problematic, vulnerable and sometimes difficult to heal. Bifidobacter propels pathogens from the gut and it is particularly powerful. Loves to feed on inulin/FOS. I think you’ve got a great garden growing in your GUT ;)

Thank you for allowing Richard to post your spectacular story!

• Ok, you convinced me. I just ordered some banana flour :-)

• Harriet says:

Me too. Googled it and found a supplier only 5km away so went and bought it. $23 a kilo for banana compared to $7 a kilo for PS and $5 for tapioca.

I’ll wait till tomorrow to try it as I don’t want an autoimmune flare up tonight. It only takes 5 hours after taking a new resistant starch to grow the AI nasties leaving me sore and uncomfortable. I need to feel well tomorrow as I have an important appointment when I want to be functioning well.

• Harriet, did you confirm it’s made with green bananas?

• I’m the source of the n=1. I’ll try to fill in the gaps people mentioned. I’m 6’4″ and agree 100% with Richard about getting my diet under more control and aiming for a more human 20% body fat number. Given what the RS/FOS/SBO probiotics have done for my appetite in the last few weeks, I have hope for actively being able to get control of my diet. Hunger has been a problem, even on Paleo or low carb diets for me in the past.

My diet has been back to pretty much SAD for the last couple of months. Among other things, I’m one month into CPAP treatment for severe sleep apnea. The exhaustion from not sleeping (or rather, from suffocating all night while I got 8-10 hours of “sleep”) and working 80 hour weeks has had me eating what I can grab rather than what I plan. The only thing I’ve been able to get a real handle on, diet-wise is the RS smoothie (and the changes mentioned above) first thing in the morning. So, those results are basically against a worst-case scenario diet-wise.

Since March 1, I have been able to get back to walking 1-1.5 hours a day (treadmill in my office) and one Body By Science workout last week. Otherwise, I sit and stare at a screen all day (again, pretty much a worst-case scenario).

This week, hopefully, my diet will be getting back on track (got a bit of control over my schedule again) as Paleo+ (with rice, potatoes and beans) while continuing the treadmill walking, but hopefully getting more of the BBS workouts added too.

As for the weigh-ins, I’m going to continue daily and consistently (though I usually skip weekends) because more data is better than less. All of the numbers reported above were first thing in the morning, after a trip to the bathroom, in the exact same state of undress. I have pretty much zero emotional attachment to any of the numbers it reports. I know that it can be a problem for some people, but I’m a software engineer by trade and pretty detached when it comes to this kind of data. The numbers are a way to take measurements. That’s it.

I didn’t mention in my original email to Richard, but I’m also added psylium husk and corn soluble fiber to the potato starch, banana flour and FOS in the last few days. Basically, I’m tossing as diverse a group of bacteria food as I can down there.

I grew up on a farm and ate plenty of dirt as well as “dirt” in the process. It was fairly common for lunch to be brought to the barn, for us to just wipe our hands on our jeans and dive into the meal. But, I also spent a week on IV antibiotics at the beginning of high school (long story involving running a pitchfork through my foot while working in chest-deep water) which surely obliterated what was a healthy gut biome. Subsequent treatments of antibiotics as well as a lifestyle that keeps me indoors most of the time didn’t help.

Basically, I know I’ve got a lot of things I need to improve, but the self-awareness to know I can’t tackle them all at once. I’m finally sleeping (who knows how many years I’ve been suffocating at night?). I’m clearly fixing my gut biome. I’m getting more exercise and working on my diet again. We’re all a work in progress, but I’m pretty happy with the results in the last 6 weeks.

• bornagain says:

+1 on psylium husk with the RS.

• Harriet says:

Blast I will have to check that out, though it was advertised as being a great source of resistant starch. I’ll email them and see what they say.

• Harriet – these folks are awesome (and Australian):

• That’s where I ordered mine from yesterday! So I’m not the only Aussie here then?

• Judging by how fast my local health food shop sells out of potato starch, I’d say there are plenty of Australians here! (Btw, I’m pretty sure that the Mt Uncle’s folks are the ones with whom Grace/Dr BG has spoken directly and their product is awesome.)

• Harriet says:

Yes, the banana flour is made with green lady finger bananas.

And I’ve googled green plantain flour to find that its stocked by African food stores so will go looking there for it.

• Harriet says:

Thanks, Lauren. Yes, that is what I bought. And Lauren I bought 25 kilos of Danish potato flour for $63 at our local Asian bulk shop for their commercial purchasers. (Girrawheen, Perth, WA).

Lauren and Emma, what are you doing for probiotics? I’m looking to get a friend to send the Prescript Assist to me from the US as Amazon won’t send it here.

• Francis says:

Harriet,

Have you tried to see whether you can order Prescript Assist from the UK Amazon? They do have it in stock and it looks from this link – http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=11072981 – that they despatch to Australia.

• I found those guys as well. In Perth though they have one outlet which is closed on Sundays :(

• Are you familiar with Grainfields, the Aussie probiotic co.? http://www.agmfoods.com/

• Hello J Wynia~

You are my coup in this gut battle ;)

“I’ve been taking 4T of potato starch since late January. I experienced the shift in appetite (not nearly as hungry all of the time), but little else, well, except the fartage. In 6 weeks, there was no reduction in either volume or stench. The whole time, I was peeling paint with the stink. ”

Many people who read FTA or in paleoland are like you (and me). Richard and Tim were soooooooooooooooooooooo slow to see that PS wasn’t enuf (because all they could see was the ‘white powder’ miracle LOL). I am so eternally glad and grateful that Tim and Richard finally flipped around. Richard did the probiotics and posted his experiences for you to observe.

So many of us kill our gut microbes not just with antibiotics but high-sugar diets, not exercising and eating fatty junk food (the emulsifiers in junk food and industrial dairy cause translocation in the gut). Then if we follow a resistant starch-less paleo or VLC diet, we further decimate (any) remaining microbial old friends.

I’m so glad that you are exploring the gut and its value to you. The weight loss is phenomenal and expected when the gut aligns and a spectrum of fiber fuels these returned sentinel micro-entities. When you lived on the farm, were you really healthy, happy and horny? LOL I’m too curious but just tell me about your dirrrty life!

This is the book that helped me to understand life — The Dirty Life: A Memoir of Farming, Food, and Love Paperback by Kristin Kimball

• Even though I lost 50 lbs in my health (spiral) journey, I’m not that ‘into’ wt loss per se — however it is a valid biomarker when our inflammation, insulin and body/mind/spirits/communities are all serene and happy. During the last few months it dismayed me that weight loss was never or rarely reported. YOU changed that — thank you again for sharing your amazing story.

• Thanks for that. There is a store on the other side of town that is supposed to stock it. I can try that next weekend.

• Bernhard says:

J Wynia

Congrats.
      And good to hear CPAP works for you. Had it here for 6 months, best compliance of patient, yet the apnoea problem could not be resolved, returned to supplier in January. Admire anybody who can cope with it, tried it out several times myself, could not spend even a couple hours with it.
      Last week went to Switzerland to explore a genius approach, genius in it’s “simplicity”.
      One has to overcome the gagging reflex but, when inserting this “brooch”. Day 7, or better night seven, best breathing in 30 years. From now on, an estimated 2 weeks to see if this works so well permanently.
      Pax.

• Charles says:

After 60 years or so of apnea, and not wanting to go to a CPAP, I got a mouthpiece from a dentist, and it solved the problem almost immediately. Cost about $2500, but insurance paid for most of it. Highly, highly recommended for anyone for sleep apnea.

• My husband is on CPAP since 2009. I’ve had great sleep since he got on it!!! But he had to get a mask that covers only his nose, could not deal with the clausterphobic feeling the larger mask gave him. I’m hopeful now though reading that slimming in the NECK area has been experienced by those following this PS/SBO protocol, that in time with this change the sleep apnea can be reversed.

11. On PS since the holidays. On prescript assist and primal defense 30 days. I now have ZERO APPETITE. Intermittent fasting is what makes eating possible. Trying to eat in the morning would be all but impossible. Gas is still unnervingly variable. Somedays, it’s almost enjoyable. On Richards recs, I’m 5 days on and 2 off the PS. That really helps the bloat. I’m up 2 lbs, with greatly improved vascularity, and plowing through plateaus at the gym. Body fat around 12%. Getting 80-100 gms protein in for growth is a serious challenge now due to appetite and persistent full belly feeling. tmi-pooh smells of very loamy earth. Happy St Patricks to all. May the rain And sun always hit your fields!

• GeoffD

AWESOME — love hearing your feedback and gut responses. Do you eat with family and friends? Please eat! It is a communal/tribal thing besides fueling the intestinal residents LOL

12. I’ve been on RS for several weeks, and SBO’s for two. After reading all these stories I went and weighed myself and I’m up about 5 lbs, which is alot for me since I’m fairly thin. So, then went and tried on some jeans (I generally wear sarongs so had no idea how my clothes were fitting) and the jeans fit just like always…the 5 lbs should have meant that they didn’t at all. And, my stomach is noticeably flatter.

The most dramatic improvement this week is in muscle strength. We have a chin up bar that the husband and son use a few times a day and try to best each other. I never use it because I can’t even do one…until now. I tried it earlier in the week and did half a chin up. This morning I tried it again and did two! Yes, two! Then two more a few minutes later no problem. This is crazy. I don’t work out, unless you count yard work, and nothing else has changed. I mean, it was physically painful for me to even hang from that damn bar and now I’m doing chin ups?! I think those 5 lbs went straight to my muscles.

• I’ve noticed the increase in vascularity also. Instead of lamenting others “genetic gift”, perhaps we’re all Khan Noonien Singh.

• @Alie, awesome! You’ll soon beat the majority of lady US Marine Corps at a pull-up challenge! How cool is that?

T-Nat

• Right?! I’m actually really excited about this. I’ve had so many different things going on with RS, and now to see something so dramatic blew my mind.

• Wow, Alie! I’m excited! I almost did not get a college degree because the required PE class required pull ups I could not do. My friend who had to count for me kinda cheated on my record she turned into the professor. Seriously, I would not have graduated on account of those pull ups. I’ll let you know if I get the same results!

13. Has anyone been able to find a good source for green banana/plantain flour in Europe/UK? I’ve been looking all over the net but can’t find anything.

14. Has anyone who has made improvements noticed a reduced craving for sweets/chocolate?

I just realized something fascinating:

Ever since making significant improvements in my health my ‘sweet tooth’ has almost disappeared. I was listening to a podcast where a doctor/researcher was talking about the interaction of bacteria with our mind and this led me to this study:

‘Utilisation of mucin glycans by the human gut symbiontRuminococcus gnavus is strain-dependent’ Crost, E. H. et al doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0076341

Here’s a good article about the study: http://news.ifr.ac.uk/2013/10/mucin-glycans/comment-page-1/

And read this:

[QUOTE]The IFR researchers looked at Ruminococcus gnavus. This is a common species of gut bacteria found in over 90% of people, including infants just a few days old. It has also been implicated in gut-related health conditions. A number of studies have shown that patients suffering from Inflammatory Bowel Diseases have a disproportionate representation of R. gnavus[/QUOTE]

I used to eat between 100 and 200gr of chocolate (I know. I know). And now I might eat 30gr a day or so? I can resist the allure quite easily now. Fascinating.

And mind you, I didn’t consciously stop eating chocolate.

• which podcasat was this?

• Warrior Poet Podcast #26 with Dan Engle, MD.

• We are cyborgs and the bugs control us ;) You figured it out!

50-60% are colonized by Clostridium difficile but don’t come down with colitis and infection. Why? We have the commensal Clostridium butyricum. Both are cluster I. Essentially we need ‘good’ Clostridium to fight ‘bad’ Clostrodium (GCBC lol).

Perhaps for this Ruminococcus it’s the same? RS feeds and fuels our keystone species like a feast, like Ruminococcus bromii, that gobbles up RS then produces RS-bits, pieces and by-products for others in the gut ecosystem to feed on (they’re known as co-feeders or bottom feeders). These all are typically the beneficial symbionts that sync up our immunity, protect the precious gut real estate from pathogens (like R gnavus? C diff) and even expel the pathogen from the gut (when fed well insulin, oligos, fiber, RS).

Glad to hear your subconscious cravings changed!

• (inulin — not insulin!)

15. Anyone have testosterone levels measured before and after starting the PS and probiotics regiment? All of the n=1s are starting to sound like T may be boosted.

• Rich,

I’m sure this is happening if the gut is indeed reforming and sustaining a ‘changed mucosal and microbiological architecture’…

WHen the immense gut is inflamed (remember, size of a TENNIS COURT), the adrenals get f*kcered really FAST…. The adrenals are the source of exogenous hormones outside of gonadal production.

For me, after my gut healed with Chinese fermented veggies and 1kg Chinese USOs (purple potatoes, white mountain yams, and yellow yams) I found I could stop nearly all of the adrenal life support that I had to take for 1-2 yrs (mag, sea salt, high dose adaptogens). Now I just take Eleutheros, maca or other low dose adaptogens occasionally! IT’S SO FANTASTIC

Inflammation whether it’s mental or gut related is a testosterone DOWNER. Makes people SLOW GAINERS in gym terms. Thanx for sharing your observations!

• Grace,
      Thanks for the feedback. I have really struggled with low energy, stuffy nose, brain fog, and focus not to mention gut troubles that have twice sent me to the hospital thinking I was having the big one. I also had severe back pain that I finally figured out was gut related. The back pain was so bad I couldn’t sleep past 4 in the morning and had to get up and move. Got an upper GI scope that showed nothing so I think the gut issues that sent me to the hospital are spasms. I had my T level checked about 10 months ago by my dock and it is boarder line low. I haven’t really committed to any particular path to addressing the issues but I did pretty well going lower carb a while back for a time. It’s not something that was going to work for me long term though. I did a stint eating raw sauerkraut before each meal and that helped with the gut issues but again couldn’t keep after it. It is my opinion that the sauerkraut was helping with gut motility. I am ramping up to try the resistant starch mix along with the probiotics with fermented vegetables. Over the last 5 years I have done a ton of reading on health and what I may be able to do to help myself and the gut connection seems like the best shot so far.

• Rich,

How is your energy, sinuses, brain fog and gut now? For people with IBS, sometimes just the movement inside the gut triggers the pain/discomfort that you describe. Going from refined carbs SAD to paleo can definitely improve T levels because insulin/cortisol corrections improve the adrenals; paleo immensely helps gut healing because it removes fat emulsifiers (from feedlot dairy and junk food — emulsifiers break the gut) and gluten/corn/soy and other common allergens.

The microbes in the gut can crank out all kinds of junk — toxins, alcohol, proteins, etc — which clog our other brain (in the cranium) and lead to chronic fatigue or inflammatory conditions… or both!

“Signi”cant differences can be found in the microbiomes
      of patients with autoimmune diseases such as diabetes
      types I [18] and II [19], Crohn’s [20], ulcerative colitis, and
      psoriasis [21]. Even the composition of the cerebrospinal
      proteome is signi”cantly altered in autoimmune disease.
      Schutzer et al. found that while healthy subjects, and
      patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) [22],
      harbored many of the same proteins in the cerebrospinal
      $uid, 738 of 2,783 detected proteins were unique to
      patients with CFS [23]. Because so many of the proteins
      created in the body are microbial, these changes are a
      direct reflection of alterations to the human interactome.”

The human microbiome and autoimmunity.” Proal AD, et al. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2013 Mar;25(2):234-40.

What is missing in the gut bugs can be one of the apex predators that prevents the fast replicating little pests from over populating. For CFS and IBS, the ecological commensal predators may in fact be Bacteroides and E. coli, interestingly. Also they either eat yeast or release antifungals. Unfortunately these 2 and other fragile commensals are annihilated by potent pharmaceutical antibiotics. Pathogens and yeasts can subsequently grow crazy leading to IBS, Crohn’s or other conditions.

Here is a new release on Crohn’s — “The team found that microbial balance was disrupted in patients with Crohn’s disease, with beneficial microbes missing and pathological ones flourishing. Having more of the disease-associated organisms correlated with increasing clinical disease activity. “These findings can guide the development of better diagnostics,” says senior author Dr. Ramnik Xavier of Massachusetts General Hospital and the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard. “More importantly, our study identified specific organisms that are abnormally increased or decreased in disease, which forms a blueprint to develop microbial therapeutics.”
      When the researchers analyzed the effects of ANTIBIOTICS, which are sometimes used to treat Crohn’s disease symptoms prior to diagnosis, they found that antibiotic usage in children with Crohn’s disease could be COUNTERPRODUCTIVE because it causes a loss of good microbes and an increase in pathological ones.”

In other words, the standard of treatment (antibiotics) was causing/leading to more Crohn’s disease.

Have you considered adding Prescript Assist — it contains Bacteroides?

• I personally haven’t tested yet. Plan to wait 3 more months (already 1 month in on potato starch) to see the effect on that as well as cholesterol, etc. However, there is a recent study that supports the testosterone boost. Basically high glucose spikes suppress testosterone. Potato starch obviously reduces those spikes, ergo should be more testosterone: http://www.ergo-log.com/high-glucose-levels-reduce-testosterone-production.html
      In regards to other biometrics, I have verified a personal drop in my blood pressure. I am on a low level beta blocker and I used to spike to 163/92, pulse 63 on Monday mornings (back to work drudge). Lately my Monday mornings have been checking in at 128/77, pulse 58. This past Friday I checked in at 119/74, pulse 56. I have been doing the potato starch for about a month, and will be a full month on 3 probiotics on 3-21-14

• gabriella kadar says:

Grace, figure me this: how does the low dose naltrexone work on Crohn’s then? The Pennsylvania study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23188075

What does the naltrexone do?

• Dr. Grace,
      You have mentioned emulsifiers a couple of times. I just orders 3 lb. of non-GMO soy lecithin because I’ve read it will help clear bad fats (transfats) out of our cells and bodies. I know soy is not great but I want something to get that stuff out. Lecithin is an emulsifier, though. But it is found in egg yolks. (We eat eggs, but I don’t want to eat THAT many!) Do you know if it’s okay to use? I know this is not directly related to RS but since you brought up emulsifiers I thought I should ask.

• ooohhh Laura, I stay away from nearly all soy… Sorry. Soy lecithin is an emulsifier… I love lecithin from raw egg yolks LOL! I’m dubious of the soy one though it’s in ALL OF MY DARK CHOCOLATE that I rarely eat…

• Gab,

I don’t think they no. And it doesn’t work for every autoimmune /inflammatory case, because I’ve talked to failures.

Think about it though: we eat gluten. then we vaccinate ourselves against gluten. gluten is has opioid effects (forget what Mat Lalonde says that there or no studies blah blha blah). we are vaccinated again gluten and WHAT IF we have vaccinated ourselves against the very structure of the opioid/gluten receptor unit???! let’s say it is an ‘antagonistic’ binding at the receptor… eg, pain ensues

LDN being an opioid receptor blocker than blocks sites BEFORE OUR VACCINATED AUTO-ANTIBODIES DO… tada, pain gone when auto-antibodies are blocked out of the way…

my theory — when we have splayed open, hyper-permeable, broken guts, we are vaccinating ourselves against undigested food gluten casein nuts etc, enteric organisms, candida (which has peptide homology to ALL of our human tissues), poop and all other things in the gut

• gabriella kadar says:

But Grace if Crohn’s disease is made worse by adverse bacteria, then what effect can LDN have on that instigator of inflammation? That’s what I don’t get. Can this stuff change the bacteria too?

• Grace,
      I am just starting the pre and probiotic regimen this week so I don’t have anything to report. I have started with the 3 probiotics Richard mentioned and by weeks end I will also be using the smoothly recipe of his. A couple months ago I did the PS and Perscript-Assist but felt it lead to bloating which thought was diagnostic of SIBO so I did some cats claw , black walnut, and digestive enzymes/hcl. I think it helped but it’s hard to tell. I’ll report back if I get a significant change one way or another.

• LDN may change bacteria, but it may change NFkB and inflammation via the endocannabinoid system then downstream this affects bacteria. We grow more beneficial microbes under low stress, more pathogens, high stress

• gabriella kadar says:

Very brilliantly complicated.

16. Bruce Morrison says:

First Time Poster, Long time Lurker Here.

I have been following a mostly paleo diet for about two and a half years–
    A friend sent me a link to a meatzza recipe here on FreeTheAnimal. I started reading more and more here about ancestral nutrition and it made a ton of sense to me.

Here is my n=1;

I managed to lose about 30 lbs and about 4 inches off my waist.

I have been using potato starch and tapioca starch either in water or smoothies–approximately 5 TBS most days. And, I have added beans, lentils, rice, and other good starches and carbs into my diet with good results. I have been doing this for about 8 months now. I have gained 6-8 lbs of body weight but I am shedding body fat. My stomach is flatter, my pants are baggier and I can see that visceral fat around my chest, rib cage, and lower back is disappearing.

I am grateful to you Richard and your approach of synthesizing important info is F’n great!~Thanks to Tim Steele/Tatertot as well, you guys are brilliant. Am also very thankful for Grace/Dr. BG’s very helpful insight into SBOs and the add’l info on prebiotics. I have ordered Prescript Assist and the two others recommended and will try those next.

Look forward to your new book too!

Thanks very much !

17. Bruce Morrison says:

A couple more observations. My TMI is excellent, and I’ve been sleeping better.

About 3 weeks ago, I had a dream in which something was hitting the fan. I can visualize the space I was in (inside a building at night). I’m not sure if the dream involved theft, or some other crime but in this dream, I played some sort of enforcer role.

There was a bad person in the building trying to leave. It was my job to intercept him or her.

Well, at this point in the dream I literally leave my bed and try and run to head this so called bad person off before they get to the door. I ran across my bedroom at an angle and slammed my shoulders and head right into the corner, officially waking up. I said to myself “WTF” ? I then went to bed realizing that this was probably related to my RS consumption since I rarely dream or remember dreams.

Then last night, I had a dream involving a woman. Her lips were sweet! LOL

• gabriella kadar says:

Bruce, you might consider not taking RS too close to bedtime. Or take less if you are taking it at bedtime. It can make dreams way too intense if taken right before going to sleep. Why? Lots of theories.

18. Hey Richard, big fan of the site and looking forward to the new book. I was wondering if you had read a book called “Lights Out” by T.S. Wiley? I remember there being a part in the book where she talks about how bacteria secretes endotoxin LPS and we sleep because of a immune response to suppress these endotoxins and how sleep keeps our gut biome healthy. I’m paraphrasing of course and there is a lot more to the book. I recommend checking it out.

• Aaron

Yea, I’ve been aware of the book and believe I heard the author in a Jimmy Moore interview. Problem is, I don’t buy the notion of complete darkness. Consider sleeping under the stars, cycles of the moon and in some places, a need to maintain a fire. That said, probably best to live and sleep by solar cycles. To bed at sundown, up at sunrise.

• I don’t know where I can go around here to avoid the artificial lights that only started being so ubiquitous about a century ago.

• DuckDodgers says:

Interestingly the light from fire has a color temperature under 2000ºK. Sunrise is about 2000ºK. Anything above 2000ºK (like a lightbulb or a rising sun) triggers the photoreceptors in the eye (Melanopsin) which suppresses melatonin. So, a campfire does not suppress melatonin. It’s not blue enough.

However, the “warmest” artificial lightbulb has a color temperature around 2700ºK, which is the equivalent of basking in low sunlight. It has too much blue in it and suppresses melatonin (via melanopsin).

I agree that the moonlight demonstrates that we don’t need to be so anal about this. However, the illumination power of a full moon is fairly dim — usually only about 0.2 lux. The typical living room is about 50 lux. (It’s also interesting to note that full moons were often associated with disturbed spirits and wild behavior).

So, there was no natural equivalent of artificial lighting prior to the invention of the lightbulb. Whatever cycles are bodies evolved with, artificial light pretty much messes it up.

19. Using a NutriBullet, I have been mixing the 3 probiotics, PS, BF and PF with water to make a thin paste for a 2-3 minute meet and greet. Then adding the remaining ingredients for the blend. Worthwhile or overkill?

• gabriella kadar says:

TR, like Tim wrote earlier, if you get your guts doing good stuff, establish everything, then you don’t have to take the probiotics forever. But make sure you get your prebiotics forever.

• Thanks Gabriella. But I was wondering if it was helpful to premix the PS with the probiotics before doing a thorough blend of all the ingredients.

• gabriella kadar says:

TR, Richard seems to be mixing everything together in his morning smoothie. He’s opening the capsule and dumping contents into the mixture.

• That’s true but the only reason is it’s for both Bea & I, allowing us to split all three between us. If it was just for one person I’d just pop the pills.

• Ah OK, thanks.

20. I started PS back in late December/early January. I didn’t notice too much change to regularity, but did notice a increase in volume. I also noticed that I was getting leaner yet strength was holding mostly consistent in the gym, whereas my body weight was holding steady (though I upped protein and carb intake overall, while cutting out some added fats I was eating regularly). I began adding 2 of the three probiotic supplements you recommended when you released that probiotic post, and since then I’ve seen a steady improvement to regularity (primarily fecal appearance) but a huge increase in volume, as in, I often cannot believe my toilet will still flush given the amount of water displacement.

Last week, my first set of squats was 285×6, which matched my personal best (I’m 5’10″/170). This morning, I upped the weight to 290, which weight increase should have guaranteed I would have to drop a rep (given past performance). Instead, I hit 8 reps! the first 6 actually had me questioning if I had forgotten to put 50 lbs on the bar or something.

Immediately went to the scale, still 170. I’ve also seen mood improvements/skin/vascularity/etc.

There have been a few days since starting these probiotics where I’ve felt a little off though. A couple of times I’ve thought I had a fever. A couple of times I’ve had extreme energy when trying to fall asleep. A couple of times I’ve felt a little lightheaded”ish.”

21. bornagain says:

More N=1: I’m down 22lb and four belt notches since late last year on RS + psylium husk. Slow progress but I’m not really trying hard either – just taking the RS + psylium and leaving everything else “as is”.

The loses seem to come in 5lb ‘bursts’. It’s nothing for a few weeks and then I drop 5lbs almost overnight.

• How much of the psylium are you taking?

• You didn’t ask me, but it am down more than 20 lbs since November. I eat real food, but don’t concentrate on the macronutrients, except that I try to eat more fat after a lifetime of avoiding it. Anyhoo, I’ve been doing RS plus psyllium, FOS, inulin, baobab, etc. for several months. About 1Tbsp of psyllium per day. Always with lots of water.

So, my dog is dying of cancer (sorry to hear about your dog). One experimental regimen is chemo plus glucomannan. What was observed is that pre-diabetics placed on glucomannan would not only improve their insulin sensitivity but also did not get cancer as often. So I decided to treat myself to glucomannan. What I have noticed is that the fartage associated with RS is reduced and delayed by 2-3 hours. Just 2 mg of glucomannan. My personal take is that glucomannan extends the effects of RS more distally, but what do I know? Anyway, psyllium and glucomannan seem similar, but the effects might be different

• Wilbur,
      I’m sorry about your dog (and for Rotor who I’ve met — there are no words for such a loss, I’m sorry Richard)….

Personally I’m not that into psyllium and I’ve changed it out (7 steps).

That is very interesting about glucomannan. Dr Mark Hyman promotes a lot of it for T2D and fat loss.

Have you heard of for cancer and inflammation, citrus pectin (heat treated and pH treated)?

It appears to have been used very successfully for cancer + chemo. Some integrative practitioners speak very highly of it.

• bornagain says:

Two teaspoons of psylium and 4 teaspoons of potato starch mixed together with lots of water in the morning. I find it helps to extend the overnight fasting process. In the evening I just take the potato starch without the psylium.

I’ve tried 4-6 teaspoons of pyslium in the past but it I found it too disruptive for my digestion & bowel movements.

• Grace –

Thank you. Rereading my post, I realized I gave the impression that we are treating my dog. Unfortunately, the cancer is too advanced for hope, so we are just making her happy and comfortable. The chemo-glucomannan option was discussed, and I found it interesting.

The baobab powder I am taking seems to be mostly pectin. I am taking it mainly to provide as much fiber diversity as I can. I don’t notice anything specific related to it. It’s good to know it might also be protective.

22. golooraam says:

For those of us on a fat loss journey – how many carbs are we taking in? or is counting a thing of the past ?

• gabriella kadar says:

golooraam, I’m under the impression the Perfect Health Diet carb recommendations are being followed.

23. Ripken Holt says:

What did you use to make the chart?

• Oh, I just tossed the numbers into 3 columns in Numbers, selected the range, and then the 2-y-axis chart type. Probably could have got it to do both sets as lines, but seems clear enough.

24. michael goroncy says:

PSYLLIUM!
    Seed powder or husk?..the former seems to be less abrasive on the gut.
    Does anybody know?

Blocked and backed up..in need of a serious dumping….current turds are tiny and pencil thin.
    Been on R/S for last 12 weeks. Not ready to report my N=1 with this trick.

Tim’s work and Nikoleys promotion have the potential to be a major life/health changer.

But! Where are my huge poops….’Like, anything over 2kg must be lowered by hand so as not to break the ceramic bowl’

25. Hi! Wow. So much to read and understand. I only found this website a few weeks ago. I originally skipped over the RS stuff…because of course, I have been low carb for a long time and am naturally anti-starch.

So, I am Low carb and stuck at 190 pounds. 10 years ago I was 274, and got down to 170. I’m 5’6. Held 170 for 5 years. Then, these last 5 years, slowly crept back up to 190. So frustrating, because I thought I had the solution and “won” the war.

So I keep reading….and start LCHF, added saturated fat to my diet. Like it. Feel better, steadier energy. Lose a couple of pounds, but nothing lasts. Keep reading. Keep trying gluten-free, but it doesn’t make any difference on me. I do limit carbs because otherwise I go on carb binges. :-( I do read Gary Taubes, and yes the public understanding of calories and obesity is wrong, but we still have to watch the amount of calories we consume.

Anyway, I work at a university, I get emails from the “University Farm” about fermented foods (also artisan breads and making your own cheeses). I remember things from my childhood…my grandmothers’ sauerkraut which I haven’t had for 35+ years). I get a craving for ferment, without any understanding of the benefits. I recently came across the GAPS diet, which is also a cultured/fermented food cure for auto immune disease and Dr. Ayers.

My original health problem started 20 years ago with wisdom teeth surgery followed by the course of IV anti-biotics, which knocked me out for 10 years. Diagnosis was CFS/ME. Trying gluten free and vegetarian diets, gained 100 pounds. In 20-4o pound increments. :-(

Keep reading, get to here today. Very interested!!! Love all the logic and science. However, I have 2 problems: One, I have a major immune system response to potatoes and even the slightest amount of potato starch. Within one hour, I can have symptoms. Sometimes, the symptoms take 24 hours. The response – hot, angry, crying, and horrible joint pains (hip, knees, hands). This started or I discovered this problem, after losing 104 pounds on a low carb / low calorie diet. Now I am thinking that the diet compounded the gut problem.

2nd Problem. My husband, who has multiple auto-immune diseases, is also Type 1 diabetic. I am trying to get him to do Dr. Richard Bernstein’s program of 30 carbs a day. My husband is quite traditional and likes his food the normal way, no weird low carb substitutes.

So, for me…. should I try this program as is? I really suffer if I have potatoes or even the tiniest bit of potato starch.

For my husband, will adding RS and all the other things be good for him? He has had such a hard time with this BG. Pretty common for him to be extremely high. He also has carb binges.

Advice appreciated!! I know I need to keep reading. But would love a response.

• HI N

Your story is similar to my CFS story (amoxicillin + dental titanium surgery) and loss of 2 years of my life. “My original health problem started 20 years ago with wisdom teeth surgery followed by the course of IV anti-biotics, which knocked me out for 10 years. Diagnosis was CFS/ME.”

Read Bea’s story at my blog. Perhaps we can all help each other to ‘weed, seed/breed, and feed’ our gut micro-organisms well!

• N. (Natasha v. Potato) says:

Dear Grace,

Hi! Thanks for the reply. “N.” is not a good enough name to keep track of comments, this board is so active! So, I will call myself Natasha v. Potato.

I really want to try this system. I bought Bob’s Red Mill Potato starch today. Also more fermented vegies and some kefir (never tried before).

However, I have a major potato problem. I am not asking – should I try potato or not, because obviously I have to decide if the side effects are worth the n=1. My question….why on earth do I have such a bad response to potatoes?? I get *hot*, *angry*, *cry* and *suffer terrible joint pains*. I am turning 40 and for the last 8+ years, this happens every time I eat or accidently eat potatoes/potato starch. I even know that my hip joint is a ball because the whole ball hurts.

What is it about potato as PS, as RS that impacts the gut and therefor the immune system?

If I do try PS and I have an immediate reactions, should I keep doing it for a week to see if it gets better/worse? I am so mean to my husband (closest human) when I have having a potato reaction.

Best science guesses anyone??

Thanks again!! Natasha

• Has anyone experimented with tree nut cheese using SBO as a fermentation starter? Seems like a novel method of making one bottle of pre-biotics stretch a long way.

Here’s a 7-min video recipe for macadamia nut cheese that I found online;

26. Grace, Richard,

I started using 4TB of potato starch from day one, I got the usually gas and higher volume stool. About one week into it I started taking prescript assist (2 caps per day)+ lactic probiotic and 1 Bio Kult probiotic (SBO recommend by Dr. Natsha). Its been 2 weeks altogether. I sometimes get mild headaches, my stool takes effort and is borderline constipation but I am regular everyday. I am thinking off adding inulin and Saccharomyces boulardi. I heard that supplementing with Glutamine is also help to heal the gut. What am I doing wrong?

• Hi Majed,

That is a lot of ‘fiber’ from day one~! Did you ever consider backing off and letting the gut adjust more gradually to transition without enormous shifts? Do you try to get some RS and other fibers from diet? For some a normal dose of probiotic can be problematic and opening the capsule and spreading out the dose is more conducive to gut adaptation, I have observed.

Glutamine is great. It didn’t work for me but the studies and anecdotes are strong. Mucilage fibers, mastic gum, slippery elm, etc are all healing for mucosa. When the gut is damaged, it is like ONE GINORMOUS CANKER SORE AND F*KCERED UP. All the things you are doing sound excellent.

27. Grace,

I am loving the Amazing Grass. Doing a slight variation on Richard’s smoothie and feeling great energy from it.

But I wonder about the flax seed powder. With the fragile omega 3 can’t it go rancid quicky? Might that be mitigated by the other components?

• Ellen,

Good question — have no idea. I know Seth Roberts is into it. It also has a lot of omega-6 which becomes rancid fast too… Freshly ground (like coffee) is supposedly the best but that does take extra work, no?

28. Wilbur,

Is your glucomanon in capsules?

I saw your post last night and this morning when I was making my smoothie I added a tablespoon of the powder along with my usual potato starch and plantain starch and ended up with a brick! Tried again with a teaspoon. this time it was more like sludge. Only then did I read your post more carefully to see that you were only taking 2 mg.

Any idea how to measure that? An eighth of a teaspoon? A pinch?

Also at that point I read the label, which says to take a teaspoon in 8 oz water and DRINK IMMEDIATELY BEFORE IT GELS. So possibly the time in the blender was too long because I use frozen green banana and frozen blueberries and it takes a while for those to blend.

Anyway I have had this bag hanging around for years and am going to experiment.

• It is a level 1/2 teaspoon according to my bottle. The gelling ones make me a little nervous, so I am conservative both on the amount of powder and on the water.

29. Nervous! I am a first time commenter.
    I first found Paleo three years ago. Off and on for three years I have tried to loosely follow the diet. In the beginning I lost 28 lbs pretty effortlessly. However, lately I gained it all back plus some. Problem is I have struggled with binge eating for nearly 20 years. I hate even typing that. I have two children whom I ADORE and it always scares me when I fall off the wagon and go on an eating spree that I done such permanent damage to my body and won’t be around for them.
    History of me. For years I have just felt off. Massive brain fog. Little to no memory. Bloated belly has been a constant ever since my first child five years ago. Rarely sleep through the night. Struggle with over-indulging with alcohol in the evenings after kids have gone to bed. I often have constipation followed by a day best staying at home because of how many trips to the bathroom I need. Anxiety/depression. Right now about 35 lbs overweight.
    One positive note, I recently started seeing a chiropractor who specializes in NSA. Within two sessions she healed pain in my hip that has literally hurt every day and night for 3 years (since birth of my son). This has shown me the power of mind over matter and energy. Like the book I recently saw Richard mention about back pain.
    I want to wake up and not feel like a slave to food. I want to feel good!
    I have dabbled with PS. I’ve been taking it with smidge of Physillum + Amazing Grass + a probiotic (right now Primal Defense). OH my the gas! The first week I started taking it – I stayed up at night because the bloating and gas. I would say I have about four weeks under my belt of this. The gas has decreased a smidge but not much. I am hoping that I can write back in a few months and tell of some major improvements!
    Also, have any recommendations for children? My son has some major gut issues too. (He is 3). I was going to give him the Primal Defense too but noticed it said on my bottle “Not suitable for children.”
    Anyways, just adding in my story to the list. I’m seeing this as a brand new start to the road to TRUE health because I feel like the Paleo road was just another detour.

• Stacie:

Wow. Glad you’re looking at all of this and trying to work it out. Have you considered just simply following the Perfect Health Diet to the T, for you and your kids?

As for the label on the Probiotics, doubtless for liability concerns. Kids have more gut diversity than adults, and when allowed, they’re putting everything they can into their mouths, even dirt 7 feces. Granted, that can be dangerous in a modern world with toxins everywhere, but I doubt that some SBOs in a bottle are going to do anything that they haven’t done already.

• Thanks for your reply! I will look into the Perfect Health Diet. Definitely am willing to try anything.

Like you I am always trying to connect the dots. My dad comes from a big family. He was one of six children. His mother and father were confirmed celiacs. Amazing to see in his family all the celiac and alcoholism. I almost feel like if you are sensitive to wheat (which I feel like everyone is to various degrees) to the point of celiac then it goes hand in hand with some type of addiction. Addiction is rampant all throughout my dad’s family. I feel something inside of us gets damaged and turns off some receptor that allows you to say to a 4th glass of wine/binge/drugs.

30. gabriella kadar says:

Tiger nuts again: I’m not going back to the tigernut posts……………… So I bought Ecoideas unpeeled nuts: smelled like mildew.

I contacted the company and it appears they acknowledge the unpeeled ones sucked ass. The shipments to stores in Montreal were returned.

They offered me a free bag of peeled…………..NIGHT and DAY. The unpeeled have no adverse odor.

So I decided tonight to open my bag of ground tiger nuts which have been languishing in the refrigerator for quite some time awaiting the comparison test between peeled and unpeeled.

Well peeps: the ground TigerNuts KICK ASS. They have a good smell, they taste good and I’ve just mixed them into yoghurt. Fantastic. I’ve gone and made myself another batch and I better stop eating now.

Highly recommended. If you live in Canada and find the ground tigernuts, EcoIdeas, you can be assured this is a good product.

You can put them in the ‘Richard Smoothie’. They will contribute a nice natural sweetness to the mix.

31. Rob Turner says:

Is there resistant starch in Tequila? The benefits sound exactly the same as those you’ve been talking about:

32. Natasha v. Potato says:

Hi! I feel like such a kid…. the kid sister or the youngest kid in the neighborhood…. playing catch up on this blog….

I did it. I took BRM potato starch. I didn’t die!!!!!!!!!!! I had no immune system response. I am taking 1-2 tablespoons a day. Started on Tuesday. I am on vacation and so I could risk having a bad reaction.

I am guessing that I lost the ability to eat potatoes after doing a lower carb – lower calorie diet (where I lost 105 pounds). I wasn’t allowed potatoes on the diet but I was allow one piece of bread or three crackers. So I didn’t lose my ability to eat wheat.

I started with Kefir and sauerkraut. Home made pinto beans. Converted rice, cold or pan fried the next day. I had a plantain on the weekend. With these changes, the skin on my face changed!!! At first I had a few pimples from eating extra carbs…. Then, the quality and texture of my skin changed. Healthier, smoother and the pimples healed up.

OMG. I don’t know what else to say. Thank you from saving me from Low Carb and putting me back on track to the road of good health.

Natasha

PS: I am having a little trouble with not going #2. I think you guys call it “TMI”, is that too much information?? I am on Primal Defence and PS. More things are in the mail. I don’t have access to kefir on my vacation (I went to all the stores, none exists here). I am going to try and buy some things at the health food store this morning….things that are on your recommended list.

• DuckDodgers says:

Kefir can sometimes make #2 worse. Depends on your gut. Constipation is often caused by an imbalance of flora. So, you may have increased certain kinds of bacteria and diminished (or not supported) others. It’s no worries. That’s just what happens sometimes when you take RS. The solution is typically to cut back or stop RS for a few days (at least two) and try to get a variety of flora in you from a variety of sources (not just kefir, which can exacerbate constipation sometimes).

• Natasha v. Potato says:

Dear Duck,

Hi! Thanks for the feedback. I understand… the variations on “treatment” depends on the various ways the individual’s gut is messed up. At home, Kefir tends to help. On vacation – visiting family – my eating is not typical.

I took more PS this morning – first time in the day time – only had a little twinge of pain in my finger joints.

Reading this page again, I realize that the other RS are very necessary. So I am glad that my plantain flour arrived today. And I will get a few more things going.

Thanks again,