How Resistant Starch + Dirt Can Fix Problems from Too-Low-Carb Paleo and Know-It-All-Dunning-Kruger Ignorance

An email from a reader this morning. It was very timely because I'd just browsed through these 11 charts again, about everything that's wrong with modern diets. When I posted it on my Facebook profile, I wrote:

A Paleo or Primal Diet Completely corrects 11 of 11 of these. Even caloric intake normalizes for most people. This is why it's the hot diet. It works. Just include your starches please, at a reasonable 30% ish of calories, you'll do great. Insufficient carbohydrate intake is the root of all problems I see on Paleo diets.

Then I clicked on email and read this from Tricia:

~~~

I was urged to write to you and share my story of a sort of miraculous healing of salmonella. And diabetes. And gluten intolerance. All thanks to soil based probiotics and resistant starch.

In August 2013 I was diagnosed with diabetes from a random blood test. I thought I was "healthy." I was already exercising 6 days a week and had been paleo for 5 years. I was also gluten allergic (began after I started the paleo diet and eliminated gluten for 60 days and then found I could no longer eat it without ending up in an itchy swollen rash). I occasionally ate rice but pretty much no grains; I had minimal sugar in my diet. I didn't have much I could change and realized that diabetic medication was in my future if I couldn't work this out on my own. So I decide to see a nutritionist. She says, lose 10 lbs and make better nutrient dense calorie choices. Huh? Ok. I trimmed my 110lbs down to 100lbs. I cut out bananas, grapes, potatoes, and rice. My fasting blood sugar went from 130's to about 110-100. That's OK but it's still in the glucose intolerant range, and certainly not the picture of health for a 43 year old 5'0" female athlete who weighs about 100lbs. At that point I did my own research and I realized that this was not sustainable (no fruit nor potatoes) so I stopped restricting any fruits and vegetables and started adding in resistant starch. About a TBSP a day. Some days I got up to 3 TBSPs, but no more than that.

And then I went camping.

I ate some poorly cooked chicken from the campfire. Enter salmonella. I was terribly sick, but recovered about 2 weeks later. Come to find out that when you have a diagnosis of salmonella, you're unable to return to work if you are a food handler or a healthcare worker until you stop shedding the bacteria. I'm the latter. The Department of Public Health banned me from practicing medicine and wouldn't let me return until I had two negative stool samples. No problem, I thought, I felt fine. I submitted a sample and alarmingly, I was positive. Fluke, I thought. I retested and again I was positive. Again and again I was positive. For MONTHS I tested positive. A small percentage of those that get salmonella become chronic, I find out. I saw two infectious disease specialists, both of whom suggest I stop testing for salmonella, take a round of antibiotics (Cipro) for 8 weeks, then retest two weeks after I end the antibiotics. OK, so I practice medicine for a living and I consider this treatment plan (while in my frustration of being unable to work for over 5 months because I was continually testing positive for salmonella) and I know what Cipro will do to my intestinal flora in one day, much less 8 weeks. So, I decide not to follow their treatment suggestion. No, I'm not doing Cipro but I decide I would do my own curative plan for myself. I decide to add probiotics for 8 weeks and then retest. I was already on daily kiefer and taking some chintzy Trader Joe's probiotic tablets that may have been inert. I decided that I really needed to up my game because I didn't do all that graduate school in order to be banned from work because of a bacteria. I added three different types of soil based probiotic capsules and continued the resistant starch. I started with one probiotic capsule at breakfast for about 3 days, then added another at lunchtime for about 3 days, then finally added another type at dinner and continued this therapy of three different probiotic capsules a day for 10 weeks. I continued my kiefer and resistant starch addition of about 1-3 TBSPs a day for this duration.

10 weeks later I retested.

My fasting blood sugar was in the 70's and continues to be in the 70s every morning. My culture: negative for salmonella. No cipro, no jacked up intestinal flora, in fact it's probably the happiest it's been for decades. And get this: I can eat gluten now. I no longer end up in a rash from gluten or any other grain. The only restriction I maintain is no processed sugar--I can eat any fruit (but potatoes still elevate it a little) without an elevated blood sugar. I have my theories of why all this happened, but I think the bottom line is that our intestinal health has a much more pervasive influence on our overall health than our culture realizes. Even the paleo culture. Because I got diabetes while I was paleo, active, and had a BMI of 19. Because I was gluten allergic for 5 years. But because of some soil based probiotics and resistant starch I was able to eliminate salmonella, bring my blood sugar to a normal daily range and correct my inability to digest gluten without my body resulting in a fit of inflammation. Crazy, true stuff. I hope this helps some poor soul out there.

~~~

I'm sure this could have all been cleared up in a heartbeat with straight shots of vinegar, but whatever. What works works, right? So do what you like. Fix your diabetes, gluten intolerance, and chronic salmonella infection with vinegar, or try my plan.

Or, hell, have a shot of Apple Cider Vinegar in some club soda now & then with a wedge of lime, or slice of cucumber, as I do. I'm sure that's the true source of all my benefits since I bought that one quart bottle a year or so back. The 28 ounces consumed so far (including in recipes) over the year have really done the trick. I'm stoked!

Comments

1. Did I miss something? What is the deal with the vinegar recommendation?

• turn on the sarcasm radar Mart.

• Woo had a blog post recently saying that Apple cider vinegar’s antimicrobial effects lead to all sorts of positive results: http://itsthewooo.blogspot.com/2014/04/how-to-resolve-gi-dysbiosis-or-sibo.html

I actually have been taking RS and probiotics recently, and developed symptoms very similar to what she describes with severe bloating and constipation alternating with diarrhea. Bought a bottle of Apple cider vinegar and did shots four times a day for a couple of days and it resolved. Not proof, but evidence.

• I’m not disputing that ACV can help. I used it a lot way way back. I think from WAPF stuff.

It’s no panacea and perhaps RS+dirt isn’t either, but that latter is a lot closer and Wooo is just being her dunning-kruger KIA self, as usual. As has always been.

• Gemma says:

Nothing against vinegar. I use it daily in salads (oil and vinegar dressing), actually I rotate different brands and colors (apple, white or red wine vinegar, balsamic, etc.)
      Interesting reading on Vinegar: Medicinal Uses and Antiglycemic Effect

• gabkad says:

There don’t seem to be any research papers in regards to the following:

‘It is only a leptin augmenting intervention if the following is true:
      •Fat is lost, without a decline of T3, rise in cortisol/HPA, or lower action of the gonadal axis.’

Basically a person can pig out on a super high fat diet and lose weight, keep hormones normal and etc.

I have not been able to find anything on PubMed to support this. But there are ‘believers’ so it must be true.

I’m awaiting the backlash. As per usual. No criticism allowed. Anywhere, anytime by anyone.

But Richard knows all about this. It’s lots of fun when people who are afraid to put their own identity out there lash out and get ugly at people who do.

• “It’s lots of fun when people who are afraid to put their own identity out there lash out and get ugly at people who do.”

Get this. Robb Wolf graciously invited dinner. And just like when I offered promotion via guest posting and such: declined.

Anonymity is her most prized possession. What’s funny is that it could be crashed in a day by anyone who really cared enough to go to the trouble.

• gabkad says:

Maybe the selfies aren’t.

• Duck Dodgers says:

She has daddy issues, no? :)

Anyway, ACV doesn’t exactly work like an antiseptic the way she implies. If that were the case, she should be drinking clorox bleach. ACV is concentration of acids, flavonoids, polyphenols, pectin, enzymes and minerals. Therefore, it has a fair amount of glycans and this suggests that the gut flora is metabolizing these pectins and polyphenols into various metabolites that cure things.

• I don’t think so, Duck. Vinegar has all those things, but in low quantity. The main therapeutic chemical is the acetic acid which slows gastric emptying.

• Duck Dodgers says:

Christopher. Take a look at any high ORAC food, or even beta-glucans in Larch Arabinogalactan. I’m not talking about large quantities of prebiotics in terms of feeding your flora. I’m talking about microbial metabolites that are very potent. You only need a tiny amount for the microbial metabolites to get benefits.

Take a look at the undigestible Larch Arabinogalactan. The average dose is usually a teaspoon or less. It’s nothing from a prebiotic standpoint (maybe 3g), but it can have big results once the microbes unlock the metabolites.

• Duck Dodgers says:

Whoops. No beta glucans in Larch Arabinogalactan. I meant beta glucans or Larch Arabinogalactan. Both have potent immune-enhancing properties metabolized by gut flora that have nothing to do with providing gut flora enormous amounts of food.

• So you think the ACV with mother, etc., is worth the money over supermarket ACV?

Not disagreeing, just asking.

Also, my current morning slurry is:

• 4 tablespoons mixed whey concentrate and isolate protein powder containing 1 g of green tea extract
      • 2 tablespoons raw potato starch
      • 1 tablespoon inulin
      • 1/2 tablespoon creatine monohydrate
      • 1 teaspoon amla fruit powder
      • 1/2 teaspoon baobab fruit powder
      • followed by either a Prescript-Assist or Primal Defense Ultra capsusle plus another spice capsule (clove or turmeric, alternated), herb capsules (various adaptogens, cycled), and other supplements

Does that sound synergistic and reasonable as far as prebiotic goes?

• Oh, and 10 g of dark chocolate.

• By the way, I don’t get the relevance of that scientific reference. It’s talking about substances produced in minute quantities by bacteria, not substances fed to bacteria in sources such as ACV.

• Duck Dodgers says:

That’s the whole point. Feed bacteria a literal “pinch” of polyphenols (or other glycans) and they will break them down into various metabolites that can have an effect. Apparently we don’t need massive quantities of these metabolites for them to have an effect on our bodies. I suspect it’s a bit like making a weak broth in one’s gut that causes a modulation or a chain of events to take place.

• annette says:

yes as it is organic and non gmo.

2. Sonia says:

Yeah, tell us more about vinegar. Does it kill Samonella?

• Sonia:

Don’t you know? Vinegar fixes all gut problems. Makes your farts smell like perfume, too.

Gives you a really pretty face.

• Gemma says:

@Mart
      @Sonia

You would have to check this wooooo blog to understand the sarcasm.

Btw, it is doubtful vinegar could kill salmonella germs. They are too clever and can hide. What probably happened is that they were crowded out / took the rode out with the starch granules. At least the latter is true for cholera, see:
      Adhesion of Vibrio cholerae to Granular Starches

• Gemma says:

Ha, here we go with fibre:
      Dietary supplementation with soluble plantain non-starch polysaccharides inhibits intestinal invasion of Salmonella Typhimurium in the chicken.
      “Soluble fibres (non-starch polysaccharides, NSP) from edible plants but particularly plantain banana (Musa spp.), have been shown in vitro and ex vivo to prevent various enteric pathogens from adhering to, or translocating across, the human intestinal epithelium, a property that we have termed contrabiotic. Here we report that dietary plantain fibre prevents invasion of the chicken intestinal mucosa by Salmonella.”

• gabkad says:

Gemma, true. The protocol for cholera rehydration and diarrhoea is getting starch included.

• Gemma

I like psyllium because it has oligosaccharides and mostly soluble fiber and can help the small intestines where pathogens (like Salmonella, shigella, yeasts, pathogenic bacteria, etc) like to adhere and target. The SI s a lovely paradise! Food galore and not acidic compared to the rest of the tract.

• Gemma says:

Well, good to know in case salmonella attacks again. My son had it when 5 years old (yes, tested and confirmed, Gab), he had high fevers and diarrhea with a risk of dehydration. I fed him teaspoons of sauerkraut and grapefruit juice. He refused Smecta cleaning clay (hello, Duck) and I knew nothing of the healing properties of starches and fibres at that time.

• Michele says:

This is probably a really ignorant question I’m about to ask…but…
      I’m taking chlorella – shit tons of it – as part of a TCM/Dr. Klinghardt detox protocol. Tater was kind enough to reassure me that the garlic (natural antibiotic) capsels would not kill off Richard’s suggested SBO’s. Would chlorella work like psyllium in that the bad things attach to the it and then leave via the stool? Sorry for the the TMI but my TMI is often nearly the same color as the chlorella.

• Grace/Dr.BG
      Psyllium. Whenever we added Psyllium the results of digestion were very much like rubber. Could this also be result of different microbiomes, different results?
      Peace.

• gabkad says:

Bernhard, how much psyllium?

The instructions on the package I have say 2 tablespoons. One night I think I lost my mind and actually took that much with liquid as per instructions. My guts had to work awful hard to move that stuff along. Will never do that again, that’s for sure.

When I take psyllium, it is one scant teaspoon with the PS in yoghurt. Then I drink a glass of liquid as a chaser.

• gabkad
      Half a teaspoon that is at the max. Still the outcome is rubber.

Bernhard, LOL!

What about cooked vegetables like okra, mushrooms, asparagus, beets, bean sprouts, courgettes, squash, etc.? I make sure I get at least 2 cups of cooked vegetables every day. Usually 3. Raw vegetables do not have the same effect. Not for me, at least. Salads are fine but I don’t rely on them for poop consistency.

If someone is hypothyroid or has some other reason for why their transit time is slow, then it takes quite the effort to keep things from turning hard. I was undertreated for thyroid problem for years. Still not 100% but much better. At least I now have the urge to go every morning. That’s a bonus.

Some meds like narcotics really slow things down. I don’t eat gluten because it affects my guts the same as codeine: stops movement. Made the mistake last week-end to go out to a faux vegan restaurant (not my choice) and ate a faux burger and fries. Very bad consequence. I did chew the burger but it reformed into a very large hockey puck in my colon. :( The French fries transformed back into a very hard lumpy potato. :( Even worse.

3. tatertot says:

Since Blaser’s new book came out, and not wanting to get left behind on the ‘antibiotics scene’ I have been digging into antibiotics and antibiotic resistance. AMAZING. Since Day 1, researchers knew it was unsustainable as antibiotic resistance would stay two steps ahead of the science.

We are so far down the road with antibiotics and the damage they have caused it is unreal. I can see why science is ignoring RS, they have their hands full with all the problems caused by antibiotics.

Antibiotics found in nature are tiny signalling molecules used for cross-talk, we collect these tiny molecules and dump them on microbes and it kills them, and microbes that aren’t killed quickly become resistant to the unnatural amounts. In nature, antibiotics don’t kill, they instruct. Huge difference!

As seen in the blog, there are better ways to kill pathogens, this is a fantastic example! Thanks for sharing.

4. Acetate or acetic acid (from vinegar) is a SCFA byproduct of fermentation. It is thought that RS principally degrades into acetate and propionate via primary degraders (bacteroides). It’s some of the the secondary degraders (firmicutes) that can take acetate and use it to produce butyrate.

Providing you have the right species in place consuming vinegar could be a good way to produce additional butyrate. I don’t think the wooo knows this though. lol.

• Consuming vinegar does not compare to consuming fiber for acetate production.

“So does this mean drinking vinegar can help you lose weight? Frost noted that to get the same effect as eating fiber, a person would have to drink a lot, because vinegar is digested and much of the acetate in it breaks down. “You’d have to drink enough for it to get to the brain,” he said. Drinking so much vinegar would be unhealthy — the chemical is quite acidic.”

• tatertot says:

It’s along the same lines as consuming butter for butyrate. Doesn’t work. You’d have to somehow get the butyrate from digesting like other fats. They have used butyrate enemas and butyrate pills, enemas work. Pills only work if they are coated with something that won’t dissolve until it reached large intestine.

• To your first statement, you can’t possibly conclude that from the link you posted. Also it really depends on the fiber. RS appears to produce acetate vs butyrate in a near 3:1 ratio.

The study you linked is irrelevant. I don’t care how much acetate makes it to the brain, the goal is to increase butyrate and if that happens sufficiently less will be available for the brain.

• My conclusion is that you produce more acetate/acetic acid by eating fiber than consuming palatable quantities of vinegar having 5% acetic acid. Do you disagree?

Tater is right. The acetate in vinegar is broken down during digestion to produce meaningful quantities in the gut.

• Tsk tsk tsk, EF.

Wooo knows everything. She’s 30, and of her over 17,000 tweets in like 6 months or so (by comparison, I have 20k, but going back to 2008 or 9), about 50% are selfie pics.

Well, it’s good to be in love with one’s self, I suppose, especially if you’re a 30-yr-old virgin.

• Yeah – the selfies of her fingernails are not as good as the ones of her smoky eyes….

• EF

Here’s my personal fav of her selfies.

When she shits on me in twitter, I tell her that the cool leather belt would look great around her ankles (in pant loops, of course).

• Oh I know – I follow your banter with her in real time. The first time I read that I laughed out loud.

• I do not hate her, actually like her on many levels. I suppose I should be thankful that I get her panties in a bunch.

Haven’t done much banter on twitter (with much of anyone) in a while. Just don’t have time. The blog and the FB works better for my style. I’ll check in and see 6 to a dozen tweets where she’s tagged me and all can seem to muster is “seriously? Get off my Twitter.” Laf.

• I never took it as hate. Barbs for personal amusement, yes, but I never thought it was mean spirited. She just gets so fired up so quickly it’s probably hard not to poke her back. I respect her for being so open.

• gabkad says:

Richard, you are a dirty old man. Just making sure you remember……;)

• Gabs:

I never want to forget it. Don’t want Wooo to, either.

Damn, but that’s a cool leather belt, though. :)

• she’s publicly stated she’s a virgin?

If not, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was true. Usually the loudest fucking idiots are compensating for such deep insecurities and wounds that they employ a arsenal of defense mechanisms. Denial and cognitive distortions run amok..

Not that all virgins or most are of wooo wooo but still. It’s like the 40 yr old still living at home, okay a few have legitimate reasons but the rest are unfortunately self-loathing and helpless toddlers. Sad :(

• Oh, I don’t know for sure. Just returning the favor for the ‘purv’ shit she tosses my way. Thing is, most of the stuff I say in that regard is intentionally sarcastic and schtick. Leaned it from my grandfather, a notorious dirty old man, but always with tongue in cheek and twinkle in eye.

5. sootedninjas says:

Dr Bg or whoever can give some insight about
    Saccharomyces boulardii

How important is Saccharomyces boulardii on Garden Of Life Primal Defense Ultra Formula ?

Because there is another Garden Of Life Primal Defense that have the same HSO Probiotic blend except WITHOUT Saccharomyces boulardii. However, each dose will have 610mg as opposed to the Ultra version that only has 410mg of the formula.

Out of the 3 recommended (Prescipt Assist and Probiotic-3) only Garden of Life is within my budget at the moment.

Regards….

• “within my budget at the moment”

What you do is get each one as you can. Then, you take only one cap of one per day and rotate.

This means you get max diversity, but for the same cost. So, you’re taking one cap of one brand on once every three days, which ought to be plenty.

Since Paleoman was always in the soil, I think it means we should be introducing all the time, but every three days ought be plenty.

• sootedninjas says:

that sounds like a good plan. thanks for the suggestion.

• Sootedninjas

The dose determines the cure. But actually your pre-existing microbiota, diet, deficiencies and toxins and likely what determine the mileage from SBO probiotics.

S boulardii alone in clinical trials can prevent the serious and sometimes fatal antibiotic induced C difficile colitis. It’s not a native, indigenous flora like some is the SBOs but humans have transient food related microbes coming thru like a train station thru the millennia.

Someone has said that SBOs don’t colonize and that is a misconsception and falsehood. Some do and others we may not have the technology (e primers) to assess accurately yet. Evolution is goddess — of course some colonize. Our colons are compost bins!

• gabkad says:

Grace, someone is maybe me. Yes, some do. Some don’t. Depends on diet too.

Same as kefir. Studies done in Japan indicate that the bacteria and yeast from kefir clear from the feces a few days after the last kefir dose.

Doesn’t mean it’s not a good thing. It is. Same as SBOs.

B. subtilis is a great bacterium, produces wonderful Nattokinase, saves lives. But it’s not native and doesn’t stick around.

• Kathy from Maine says:

NOW I get it. I read the post and saw the graphic of the potato starch and the 3 probiotics and thinking I had to take 3 probiotics EACH DAY … which I sort of have been doing.

Each morning I take 1 probiotic (15 strains, 50 million organisms), 1 or 2 Prescript-Assist capsules, 2 butter oil capsules. Then, when I eat something, I precede it with 1 capsule of digestive enzymes (or 2 if it’s a big meal). I also do a couple Tbsp of potato starch or eat a small raw potato daily.

Am I overdoing it? Maybe I should get one more formula of probiotic and do the 3-day shuffle, as you described.

What about the digestive enzymes? Do I need those, too?

Thanks for any advice you may be able to throw my way! :-)

• I think you’re over doing it. There is no general prescription for this. If you are not getting a negative response, take some RS daily (30 to 40 grams) in a variety of forms along with a consistent SBO source (one capsule a day). Throw in some real fermented foods as well.

• Kathy from Maine says:

Thanks, EF! I just had nutritional testing done and am not absorbing virtually any of the B vitamins or amino acids. The NP told me to take probiotics and digestive enzymes (and a whole bunch of other supplements). I got the idea for the butter oil from Richard.

Is kefir alone enough for fermented food? I don’t really like kimchee or other fermented foods I’ve tried, but I love kefir. Is that enough?

I’ve been on this regimen (total of 22 different vitamins and supplements, several of which I take 3 or 4 capsules of daily) for more than 3 months now, and getting so freakin’ tired of it all, I can’t stand it. Nor am I feeling any better after those 3 months. I’d love to chuck most of it, take less of just a few key supplements, and call it good. Heck, I couldn’t feel any worse.

• Sorry — just correcting a falsehood!

• Kathy:

Yea, looks to me like you’re deep into it.

What if you drop all supps, save perhaps D, K2 and mag, eat real food only, and see how you do?

• Kathy from Maine says:

Richard, thanks for confirming what I’ve been thinking. Last evening I decided on a new plan for supplements. Have been reading “Perfect Health Diet” and trying to eat more whole foods (I’ve been very low carb, at times almost no carb, for years and years, starting around 1998). Now eating more veggies, including some safe starches, and fruit.

I’m following the Jaminets’ advice and will start taking B vitamins and copper/zinc just once per week.

This is what I’m now taking daily: magnesium, potassium, D3, iodine, butter oil, Meta 1-3-C (I’m not metabolizing estrogen well at all), omega-3, and 1 probiotic capsule.

That’s down from 22 or more different supplements daily. Wish me luck!

• gabkad says:

Kathy, if you wouldn’t be absorbing amino acids, you’d have Kwashiorkor. Even kids in Malawi who were diagnosed with this, were able to absorb peanut protein. There was a twin study done where 1 twin was fine and the other one had Kwashiorkor. The children were all fed a high protein bar/cookie which contained peanut butter. The sick kids got better. When the cookie therapy ceased, the kids who originally had Kwashiorkor developed it again. It’s a gut bug problem. Amazing considering that twins living in the same home, eating the same food would have such a difference in some pathogenic bacteria.

• What does she mean you’re not absorbing amino acids? If you didn’t absorb amino acids, you’d be dead. You can have a low-grade vitamin deficiency for longer.

• Kathy from Maine says:

Well, I may have exaggerated a wee bit. My test results show a “high need” for B1, B2, B7, and B9. I’m “borderline” for B3, B6, and B12. High need for pancreatic enzymes (and strangely, a low need for probiotics).

In terms of the amino acids, my results show borderline to high need for most of them. The highest need is for (in order) glutamic acid, leucine, cysteine, isoleucine, phenylalanine, taurine, aspartic acid, and some others. The only ones for which I was in the normal range were alanine and asparagine.

The lab’s recommendation was to have 1 or 2 protein shakes per day in addition to what I had been eating, and to up my protein at each meal. They also recommended a whole regimen of vitamins and supplements, including supplementing the amino acids.

In the test results, phrases like “protein malabsorption” and “patient can’t break down proteins” and “protein malnutrition” were mentioned over and over again. They also cited “gastrointestinal dysfunction and poor uptake of amino acids.”

In several places they implied that I must be on a low-protein diet. That is so far from the truth, it’s laughable. For years and years I’ve regularly eaten 100+ grams of protein per day. For long stretches I’ve eaten virtually nothing except meat, fat, and maybe a few veggies thrown in here or there (but not terribly often). I’d have eggs and sausage for breakfast, some leftover meat for lunch, and just meat for dinner, sometimes with a small salad or a small serving of veggies.

But, as the Jaminets say in their Perfect Health Diet, “nutrients are not food.” I think I need to change my diet to get more whole foods in and to rely on food for my nutrients rather than on supplements and vitamin capsules.

• eddie says:

Make sure too look in detail at your vitamins
      many have trash and junk in them… vit D almost all are soy based… read in detail. the ingredients.. For me when my health went south with crohns.. I found I needed alot of supplements to help nurse me back… but the problem many of these vitamins etc can actually feed dieease and problem unless you know whats in them in detail…

• gabkad says:

Kathy, sometimes consuming a lot of meat that is not diluted in the diet by cooked vegetables means that the stomach has to produce acid for prolonged periods of time. So the gastric mucosa is in contact with acid for many hours.

Either eat less meat per meal or eat meat once per day so your stomach gets a rest. Some meats are more easily digested than others. Beef is tough. It is individual, but some people’s stomachs can’t stomach so much continuous meat.

The point of PHD is balance.

• Kathy from Maine says:

“Some people’s stomachs can’t stomach so much continuous meat.”

SAY IT AIN’T SO!!!!!! :-)

Yes, balance is the key in PHD. That’s why I’m moving toward that. After not eating much in the way of plant foods for so long, though, I have to take it slowly. I’ve always had severe constipation issues in the past when adding even a few small servings of veggies, and never had a problem with a meat- and fat-based diet. So, I’ve added resistant starch and am now trying to add several servings of veggies each day. So far, so good.

Thanks for all the responses and advice.

• gabkad says:

I know Ronald Reagan thought so, but ketchup does not count.

• annette says:

Kathy you want to get the proper copper testing done to see if you really need copper most are toxic in it. request a test has a panel with the 4 test you need. check out gotmag.org for more info.

6. I don’t know. This is something I am trying to figure out. You guys say acetate and butyrate are broken/digested down…where in the stomach? And by what into what?

IIRC the stomach cells can directly use butyrate as a fuel source and perhaps they can use acetate as well. This would then perhaps spare butyrate & acetate produced in the colon allowing it to be used for other purposes. How much of these SCFAs are used by tissues on the spot vs. how much circulates in the blood to other tissues is an important factor.

As Richard linked there is also the antiglycemic effect of consuming even small amounts of vinegar, but I have yet to see a mechanism of action. The point is acetate consumption is doing “things” beyond just being broken down and “useless”.

Most tissues in the body can use fatty acids as a fuel source, but which tissues prefer which fatty acid and how the affects overall net energy balance of said fatty acids is something that needs to be determined.

• tatertot says:

We need to break this down Duck Dodgers style. The issue of exogenous vs endogenous butyrate, and now acetate, has been a sticking point since Post #1 a year ago…ie. “I don’t need fiber for butyrate as long as there’s butter!’

I personally don’t see any mechanism in the human body that would allow butyrate, acetate, propionate or valerate found in food to be preserved in tact in stomach and small intestine.

Some people have a fat malabsorption problem, so maybe it would work for them, but in most people fat is readily broken down and absorbed long before it reaches the colon.

Also, butyrate fuels colonocytes, well known fact. I don’t think it is required to feed enterocytes that line the small intestine. But can find scant mention of this in PubMed or anywhere, probably because it does not happen. But I could be missing a piece of the puzzle.

This is the only study I could find on dietary butyrate, a pig study, and it looks to me like all the butyrate ends up in portal vein.

• It’s not about not needing fiber, that much is clear. My colon is great thanks to RS…but what about the rest of the organs/tissues of my body. I just think that consuming butyrate or mainly acetate will have a different benefit than consuming RS and making said SCFAs in the colon. SCFA’s have MANY benefits outside the colon and that is what I am principally interested in. Fatty acids are like glucose, a near universal energy source for many tissues. Propionate for example is taken up by the liver a fairly large organ.

IIRC stomach acid production was a very energy intensive process, so I am more interested in Parietal cells use of energy than enterocytes.

Butyrate, acetate, propionate and valerate are very simple small molecules. My understanding is they are NOT broken down unless explicitly being used as a energy source. This makes those compounds energetically very valuable regardless of where they are found.

For example: “Acetic acid feeding enhances glycogen repletion in liver and skeletal muscle of rats.” http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11435516

Also check out the references here. There are numerous studies showing direct benefits of acetic acid consumption: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1785201/#R61

• Consuming vinegar has its benefits (blunted BS spikes for example). I don’t think anyone is saying otherwise. The point here is that some bloggers feel that consuming 1 TBLS of vinegar yields the same benefits via the gut as 30 grams of RS and other fiber.
      Consuming that little vinegar never makes it to the gut and therefore cannot benefit the gut like fiber. That’s the point.

• That is right, EF.

We need to do all of it. That is the point. We’re carnivorously omnivorous, if you catch my drift.

Do EVERYTHING that makes sense. And, yes, I do enjoy a BP coffee now and then as well. You have to make it right, though. Just enough hot coffee to melt the butter, then a stick blender to emulsify, then add more hot coffee.

It’s like dessert. Only thing is, I don’t like Dave’s coffee that much. I like my very dark French or Italian roasts that are oily.

• Agreed. Love the theory, but the coffee is bitter and washed out at the same time. The only coffee that makes me tweak is starbucks keurig pods. BPC is great when using other brews.

7. Gemma says:

Off topic. Ever heard? Salep – another starchy/glucomannan drink similar to the horchata from tiger nuts.
    Salep is a flour made from the tubers of the orchid genus Orchis (including species Orchis mascula and Orchis militaris). These tubers contain a nutritious starch-like polysaccharide called glucomannan. Salep flour is consumed in beverages and desserts, especially in places that were formerly part of the Ottoman Empire.

8. williebob says:

Use iodine for salmonella. For me it was a miracle. Went to dinner and woke up the next morning bloated up like a beached whale. Then a few drops of Lugol’s in a glass of water and I don’t know where all the gas went but it was gone within a half hour. The next few days I didn’t feel completely normal but I was pretty functional.

I wonder though what iodine does to gut bugs?

Isn’t the vinegar thing supposed to work mainly if you consume it along with your salmonella?

• gabkad says:

Listen up williebob: Tricia who wrote the email to Richard had lab testing done for the salmonella. Did you have a verified diagnosis of salmonella? Or did you just stuff your face? Sounds like you just stuffed your face.

• Laf Gabs.

If I had a nickel for every self diagnosis and miraculous self cure…..

• williebob says:

Okay I realize I got off to a bad start.

I not trying to dis RS or the good work you all are doing. I’ve actually been on the RS thing for a month now along with the probiotics recommended on the getting stared post, and have had basically the same great results that many others have written about here.

I’m wondering if iodine might be a helpful component in establishing a healthy gut?

Iodine purifies water of bad stuff and it’s safe to drink. So, perhaps it may be useful in cases like SIBO?

In my experience related above with food poisoning – which I assumed to be salmonella because I had all the “symptoms” – the iodine did have a dramatic effect. My wife was getting ready for a trip to the ER and I believe the iodine made that unnecessary.

Anyway I’m just trying to make a contribution here and wonder if iodine might be an option to fight the bad stuff without the nuclear side effects of antibiotics.

9. Jandj says:

Can you get enough SBO’s from homemade fermented organic veggies? I know they consider things like sauerkraut and pickles to be lacto-fermented, but I don’t add whey to start the fermentation–organic veggies come with their own microbes that work just fine. I figure that’s a source of SBO–they grew in good, organic soil.

10. Overall health is simple, good food ( the ingredient label contains one item) absorbed quickly and the waste eliminated quickly.
    Exercise and a good gut are key.

11. “And get this: I can eat gluten now.”

You know, Tricia? I believe you.

• LeonRover says:

‘ “I can eat gluten now”, the spud has come,
      I can mush all resistants in my way. ‘
      (How White Fang.)

J’swept!

How wry.

I’ve learned that boiling rye flakes for 10 mins gives enough chew for perceptible H2S, while boiling Canadian wheat berries for 20 mins provides similar (I add a tsp of VOO to separate the grains – I never bother with the E, une at a time, moi.)

Sláinte

12. Jason says:

anyone experience a sever brain fog from the RS + probiotic/prebiotic regimen? Have had it for a week now and its like I’m in a fog 24/7. Stop the stuff or plow through?

• I guess you have a brain-gut connection.

I get that now and then, but always alter an epic sleep where it literally takes 30 min-an hour to wake up fully.

Otherwise, no idea, but if on your shoes yea, I’d have to push it to the mat. After all, you have experience data and since the SBOs are things we evolved with, Occam’s razor suggests the prob is on your end.

Just how I see it.

• Jason says:

Thanks for the reply Richard, will wait til the fog clears and start back really slow.

• I used to have very severe brain fog, not from pre- or probiotics – l just had it anyway. Then it cleared up when I started sleeping on an earthing mat. I don’t know why and have never heard of anyone else experiencing this benefit from earthing. But I am quite sure this is what happened in my case. The improvement happened pretty instantly and has held for a year a now.

• KAWAM says:

Oh, yeah! THANK you, Richard. I’m usually up and brewing coffee around 4:15 a.m., wide awake. Or, at least, going through a lot of motions. My first week on RS/SBO, and several times since (been doing this less than a month), I woke groggy, lazy, dopey, (but not Grumpy). Grand sense of well-being but can hardly drag myself out of bed. I kinda don’t mind it. Decided not to fight it and, instead, luxuriate.

• Jason,

I think I’m experiencing something similar. I’m sleeping much better now and have great dreams throughout the night. I was really hoping to feel well rested and energetic from all the good sleep but I honestly have to say that I now feel more tired throughout the day. I’m sticking with it since it has improved my sleep, made me much more regular and I think it has cured my chronic athlete’s foot. I guess you just have to keep working out the correct bugs and feeding regimen.

• Jason says:

I was definitely sleeping fine on it, but the payload isn’t worth it if I’m in full zombie mode all day. Gonna wait for a reset hopefully (if it ever comes) and start with just PS and go from there.

• Qorimayu says:

Without a doubt. I’ve been getting the same sensation on awaking. It would normally not bother me much as like you, KAWAM, i would just luxuriate but I like to start my day rolling with a little physical routine which tends to get put off the more I fester in my pit.

I’m sure I’ll crack it though

• gabkad says:

You people are waking up from a deeper phase of sleep. There’s an iPhone app that will monitor your sleep phases and gently wake you up when you are in shallower sleep. Even if it wakes you up 15 minutes before the alarm clock, you will feel better.

13. marcus says:

After the potato flour/potato starch confusion, I have one more question;

There are two Prescript-Assist probiotic products on offer on Amazon; a 60 cap bottle that you have linked to from magneticclay.com, and a 90 cap bottle from Perfect Supplements. Both claim 29 strains of probiotics.

I couldn’t frame a search of your blog comments that showed any discussion of this, so apologies if it has already been asked and answered, but WTF, which should I choose?

• I just got mine at Whole Foods today; I also use Sisson’s Primal Flora. They are the same, just two different sizes. One’s 90 capsules and one’s 60. That’s it. What you want to look at, if you are on a budget, is the cost per unit, going lowest as practicable.

• Marcus says:

Thanks JFF,

I wrote to both vendors through their contact pages and they both replied: LLmagneticclay said they are NOT the same, Perfect Supplements say they ARE and in fact are made by Safer Medical in Fort Benton.

On a related note, as well as chugging these myself, I’m using them on my dogs and one has had great results clearing up a chronic warty skin issue that he suffered with for many years.

Now I find this: Pet Flora http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PJNPGW/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1GT25W1S6KSUK

which has the following ingredients:
      “Contains a spectrum of 29 microflora, falling into the following eleven categories: Acinetobacter,
      Arthrobacter,
      Azospirillum,
      Azotobacter Bacillus,
      Bacteroides,
      Brevibacterium,
      Kurtha,
      Myrothecium P,
      Chrysosporium,
      Pseudomonas,
      Streptomyces.
      Prebiotic complexes, the humic and fulvic acids found in the Leonardite, promote the proliferation of these microflora into more than 29 sub-species. All twelve seed species are Class One Microbiological agents.”

All the classes of bacteria listed appear in the roll call of normal bacteria in the human body according to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_microbiome

Now I can’t tell my bacillus from my bacteriodes, but after chugging 8 or 9 different SBO’s most days for over 8 weeks, all washed down with potato starch, tapioca flour, corn flour, psyllium husks and live yoghurt with no apparent ill-effects, I’m mulling getting a bucket of Pet Flora SBO’s and sharing them with my pack.

14. Wrote a long post telling you how you’re wrong and when I clicked on an external link it took me off your site (BAD) and onto the other. No time to retype the thing.

You gotta fix that Rich. External links should open another page not take a person off your site.

15. eddie says:

hello Richard ,

Wanted to ask you thoughts, I see all the postive remarks on the RS , But there are a smaller base that this seems to not help. Some with crohns or IBS etc. making them in there eyes worse. What are your thoughts that RS is a food source for yes the bacteria but also yeast. For me I suffered from srohns over 2.5 years ago.. I then removed all starches/ sugars and today disease is gone.. Would love to chat , I thinking people like my self or other IBS people have yeast problems and until this is addressed the RS is a food source as they like sugars and starches. I feel they eat it first not the good bacteria..in people like my self , We usually have a low PH when we sick favoring the Yeast.. add in the antibotics etc– you killed off your good bacteria– that would have eaten the RS… just my thoughts as to what I ve seen in my self from testing. I feel , my gut make up is different from the American gut project… but I feel great today… first 38 years nasal allergies , nasal drip, minor health problems– 39- 41 Zero allergies now.. I credit to lowering yeast.. I plan at some point to try to add in RS but I am reactive to potatos in advanced testing all at once IGM IGG IGA TCELL & IMMUNE COMPLEX L@@K here http://www.elisaact.com/nonhc/our-unique-testing-method.asp as well milk. The standard allergy office I came back as nothing . In FECAL IGE testing I came back reactive to corn rice and potatos gluten and grains.. what yeast eat.. all this was 2 years ago.. I plan to retest soon … and figure I will not be reactive , As I have raised many good gut bacteria and lowered my yeast….. your thoughts

• Hi Eddie:

First off, the gmail address you used to subscribe bounced, so you may have typoed it. Hope you see this.

Anyway, others may have more to add but roughly, just my sense, perhaps 80% do good just adding various forms of RS. 20% either see nothing or worse.

About midway through this, plus with Grace’s insistence, we saw that for many of those who do nothing or are worse, the SBOs were needed. That seems to help most but not all of that 20%. But, probably some who have such jacked guts it’s going to require something more, perhaps even fecal transplant. This will become increasingly common and there are already many (not that I’ve seen in comments) DIYing it with FT.

Then there are the 80%, of which I was one, where I thought RS was the bee’s knees, but then found that even way more benefits came when I added the SBOs.

So, conclusion, everyone should try RS from PS, banana and plantain flour, etc (RS2), as well as RS3 from cooked and cooled rice, beans, potatoes. Then, the SBOs, but to make it cost sustainable, once you go full dose for a couple of weeks, dial back and just take one cap of one brand per day and rotate through. This might approximate getting dirt from your food regularly, in differing amounts and regularity. Skip everything 1-3 days per week and let things settle out.

This is my working methodology for now, understanding full well that in the fullness of time, we’ll understand more and more, get lots of input from others, and refine and refine more.

• eddie says:

yes sir type…fixed that..

For me, not eating the starch / sugars I have now have a high Akkermansia(Verrucomicrobia) bacteria. for me , what ive found is yeasts live deep in the mucus lining and so do Akkermansia. I have a High amount of this now.. hence ( its a barrier bacteria) eating inulin- from asparagus -onions, leeks, and garlic all what I eat a ton of. Ive seen a 360 turn in my health.. all postive, I eat tons of low starch veggies, meats chicken etc fish… nuts (almonds walnuts..) I eat the fat etc avocados coconut oil etc.. your posts really interest me.. for me I am mainly Genus Bacteroides 37.3% Genus Parabacteroides 20.1% Genus Akkermansia ..13.2% Again look up the last one Akkermansia. Ive done tons of advanced tests… and prove YEAST as the eater in me for corn, rice, potatos etc. I take a 100 billion daily probitic of renew life 50 billion (free of starch grains rice corn etc) for me Ive tons tons of testing NMR LIPO profile etc my LDL-P is very low 95 my total partcles in LDL are 1499 My HDL particel size is 37.5 my LDL particle 21.5 try hang about 60 total cholesterol about 189. I choose to not take immune drugs or all the crap crohns meds people take… for me I ve found a link with starches. Type 2 and crohns runs down my family line. ( mothers side) I find all this RS very interesting. I d be happy to share all my stuff results , data etc on me.. maybe one may see a defect in me. But since I removed the starch my health has been great. NO more IBS, ulcer coltits and crohns. I have lost every doc.. I weight stays the same… doesnt move.. I d be happy to share all my foods maybe Im getting starches some where else… in all my advanced testing I produce fatty chain acids—actate 63 range 36-74 normal Propionate 19 9-32 range normal Butyrate 15 9-39 normal Valerate 3.6 1-8 normal all these above are in percents total mgml butyrate .63 normal .08 -3.8 TOTAL SCFA’s 4..3 normal 4-14 mg/ml As well since I switched this way my Lysozyme is a 97 normal is below 600 . When I ate starches I was a BAD 1310 My lactoferrin is less then .05 now normal is 7.3 when i ate starches I was a 15 .. I d love to compare and talk on this , Maybe I am a good comparison as to someone who doesnt do well on RS or im missing a key bacteria.. again I can tell you from other tests / advanced ones my yeast internal go nuts and eat the starches when I eat them…. I recently added in butter to play with butyrate –my nose will bleed at times. my advanced elisa act 2 years ago should milk things butter, yogurt milk etc Bad same with starch -potato. Two years ago at times I noticed more nose bleeds with starch

• eddie says:

as well….. I feel crohns and type 2 to be simular diseases as many in my family have had one or the other.. as well many people when they jump the fence point to fungus / yeast as the cause of many diseases. Example look at doug kauffman. I bring this up as for me I can prove yeast/fungus…. and can show you my numbers lower . not eating RS. I think it is the food source for the yeast in me. Maybe my problem is genetic or I have found the route cause for many. The american gut tests the RNA16 and looks at bacteria.. There is also the RNA18 that looks at yeast.. I would love to know what some who can eat RS like you Richard what your RNA18 results are.. the problem is this test costs more. I think the problem lies here in yeasts in people.. you guys have different gut make ups do to the fungus/yeast past down or some how exposed to.. the more antibiotics etc the more yeast you will have over grown

16. Duck Dodgers says:

Speaking of RS and Dirt. I finally figured out how ancient cultures ate their potatoes raw without toxicity issues. They ate their raw potatoes with dirt!

From: New York Times (1986): Clay Eating Proves Widespread But Reason is Uncertain

One anthropologist makes a strong case that, by neutralizing the toxic chemicals in wild tubers in the Andes of South America, dietary clays permitted the consumption and later domestication of the potato, now one of the world’s main foods

…Over the centuries, clay was often prescribed to counter illnesses and poisons, and in some countries it has been mixed into bread dough

…Nearly all of the 160 wild potato species growing in the Andes contain toxic chemicals, and so do two of the eight species cultivated and consumed by local Indians. The Indians prevent these tubers from causing gastrointestinal distress either by leaching out the chemicals or by eating the tubers with a dip made of clay and a mustard like herb, reported Timothy Johns, an anthropologist at the University of California at Berkeley. Some local clays, which are sold in mountain markets, are especially good at chemically countering the poisons – at ”getting rid of the bitter taste,” as the Indians describe it.

Dr. Johns says this may explain how ancient Andeans were able to begin consuming toxic wild potatoes and eventually domesticate many milder varieties.

Indians in the American Southwest likewise use clay as a condiment with toxic wild tubers, and hunter-gatherer peoples have been observed eating clay with acorns for the same reason. Lurid accounts of famine victims in China or medieval Europe who were reduced to eating dirt may not reflect hunger, as horrified observers imagined, but the need to eat clay as famine victims turned to toxic wild foods, Dr. Johns hypothesized.

The clays consumed by one Nigerian tribe are rich in calcium, contributing to infant development, Dr. Vermeer reported. Another type of West African clay that is widely mined and traded is high in kaolin, which, like the commercial product Kaopectate that contains it, functions as an antidiarrheal.

From: Wikipedia: Geophagy

Geophagy was practised by Native Americans in California and Peru who would eat earth with acorns and potatoes to neutralize potentially harmful alkaloids. Clay was used in the production of acorn bread in California and Sardinia, Italy.

From: ABCNews: Eating Dirt: Might Be Good For You

Clay’s ability to absorb plant toxins is well documented. Jared Diamond, professor of geography and physiology at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and author of “Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies” has written on clays that are especially good at binding with plant toxins.

Diamond notes that many traditional cultures cook food like potatoes, acorns and bread in clay as a way of protecting against the toxic alkaloids and tannic acids that would otherwise make these foods inedible.

Glycoalkaloids, for example, are commonly found in potatoes and can cause diarrhea, vomiting and neurological problems in humans. But when South American Indians eat these potatoes in combination with alkaloid-binding clays, the potatoes are safe to consume, according to Diamond.

From: Eating Clay: Lessons on Medicine from Worldwide Cultures

In cultures across continents, anthropologists and mineralogists have documented and substantiated the use of clays to reduce bioavailability of plant toxins from foods and make them more edible.

These practices are known to have been used by native cultures in present-day Bolivia, Peru and Arizona to eliminate the bitterness of wild potatoes and prevent stomach pains and vomiting, evidenced in the laboratory by the clay’s ability to adsorb glycoalkaloids found in the potato species.

Also documented is the practice of baking clay with acorn flour in breads, used historically among peoples of present-day California, Sardinia and Sweden. In examining the mineralogy of the acorn bread clays, a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition supports the effectiveness of clays both as adsorbers of toxins and as contributors of trace minerals to the diet. Their function was found to reduce the toxicity of acorns by as much as 77%, and to potentially provide 38% of the adult RDA of Calcium.

Similarly, laboratory researchers at the University of Chicago Department of Ecology and Evolution recently demonstrated the ability of kaolin clay to adsorb three commonly ingested chemical toxins using a sophisticated technique modeling the human digestive system. Clay was found to adsorb and thus reduce the toxicity of tannic acid and quinine by 20-30%. Researchers noted that in a true human system the effect could be even greater due to clay’s ability to slow the movement of the digestive process, allowing greater absorption of nutrients and greater adsorption of toxins.

Interestingly, clays and dirt should be persorbed into the bloodstream and that could explain how they are so effective at combating glycoalkaloid toxins that can also make their way through the gut barrier.

It’s been hypothesized that an early South American native would have instinctively known to eat dirt/clay upon getting gastrointestinal upset after eating a toxic plant, and that may have led to the common practice of eating dirt, preemptively, with raw toxic tubers.

From: Pica, Geophagy, and Rock Art: Ingestion of rock powder and clay by humans and its implications for the production of some rock art on a global basis.

The potato that first poisoned some hungry South American was probably instinctively followed shortly thereafter by a dose of clay.

(That last quote comes from a particularly interesting article about the history of earth eating, that’s definitely worth a read, btw).

17. Jon McRae says:

Does anyone think that another benefit of the RS and SBO is that the septic tank (lower colon) gets emptied out more often, since a lot of people including myself have had our TMI time become more effective, in a engineering sense since the lower colon is acting correctly the waste does not sit for long periods and ferments. This allows the storage device (lower colon) to be more efficient.

18. Jon McRae says:

Mark S. on Leaky gut about half way down is the RS mention.

19. Finding this blog & learning about RS allowed me to give myself “permission” to eat carbs again. For 6-ish months I did the LC Paleo approach and it did not work for me. I’m certainly more “regular” now than I was then. I have unliked a lot of the Paleo sites I used to follow on FB, and I’ll probably unlike more soon. I just can’t get into it anymore. I even left a somewhat negative review on a popular sugar detox program stating that most women probably need 100-150g of carbs per day or more to properly function, to which the author replied back that there’s no way anyone can say what “most” women need. Phoo on that. The LC Paleo camp has seriously f-ked up my hormones and I believe did more harm than good to my gut. I was at the point where if I’d have potatoes with a meal, I’d get heart palpitations and feel really weird afterward. I’ve gained back some of the weight I lost on LC Paleo, but I’m almost not even mad because it means I can eat carbs and not feel like I’m going to pass out! I even had my first REAL sandwich today since going gluten free last July – tuna with cheddar and lettuce on Udi’s “whole grain” sandwich bread. Yum!

• Good for you, MRRM. Listen to yourself first.

And crickey anyway. 150 g is not high carb or even close. Hell Atkins even considered 120g low carb.

• eddie says:

that’s just awful MRRM,
      If you dont mind what were alot of the main foods you ate….. depending what you ate..PALEO im sure you did mess your self up.. every talks only bacteria but yeast live in your gut too… foods have to balance your gut –80/20 bacteria/yeast many end up creating more problems with yeast –eating more of certain foods– why the RS may work so well for so many – feeding the good bacteria which may limit / keep in check yeast

• Eddie,

When I was “paleo” I ate mostly meat, eggs, leafy green/low starch veggies, and some fruits (although the sugar detox program has you cutting out ALL fruits except 1 green apple, 1 green banana, or 1 piece of grapefruit per day, so for a while I was eating practically no fruit for fear of messing with my blood sugar). I never gave up white potatoes, though. I also had periods where I completely cut out dairy and ate a lot more coconut based products and I increased my nut consumption. I’m convinced I have a sensitivity to nuts because I can have some if I avoid them for a while, but if I start eating too many I get terrible stomach pains, although almond flour baked goods seem okay for me.

I must have some kind of food sensitivity because once I started including more starchy carbs & rice, I broke out in terrible acne. I’m 26 and I have struggled with acne since I was 13ish. I’m sure my crappy hormones (low estrogen) are playing a part right now. I’m going to keep plugging along with the PS & all my probiotics, plus I just added some herbal supplements that are good for increasing estrogen & regulating the female hormones. :)

• eddie says:

MRRM what nuts did you eat —only almonds and walnuts??? reading all of what you say “acne”
      almonds and walnuts dont feed yeast… I dont to yeast , and I proved this theory in testing ( advanced testing) you also say hormones.. read up on candida and what it does to you. like you said you ate more starchy crabs and rice and broke out… I went through all the standard allergy office testing… came up with nothing… I also had crohns and found the starches actually feed yeast and made my crohns worse. there are 3 tests you can do and there not cheap first advanced blood test/ allergy testing all of these at the same time IGM IGA IGG TCELL & IMMUNE COMPLEX. http://www.elisaact.com/nonhc/our-unique-testing-method.asp where to get the test http://betterlabtestsnow.com/delayedallergytests.aspx by doing this you find what your system is reactive to in the blood.. then great plains lab … this will tell you what yeasts you have in you, if there over growth etc in stool as well urine.. this test also tells you what bacteria you have good and bad… two tests 645.00 http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/full_oat.asp and the http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/stool.asp the best test….if your overran with yeast and low good bacteria the RS will never work for you… and all the symptoms you have and Im sure you have heavy periods??? The greats plans labs may be better to start with to get a base… look at the sample reports you can see what they tell you… they will also tell you what to use to lower or raise things. What many dont realize you can have blood reactions—instant IGE the standard allergry office or delayed reactions up to 3 days eating some thing — which is picked up here IGG IGA IGM TCELL and IMMUNE complex. as well you body can be broken out in two blood reactions and gut reactions if your gut is leaky things leak in and youll have more blood reactions. another good test is http://www.enterolab.com by doing all these you can correlate missing bacteria and yeast overgrowth. youll find enterlab tests fecal ige gut reactions… if your have crazy reactions for corn rice starches potatos etc youll find that these feed yeast …. the great plans lab will show you this if your markers are high.. so eating RS will be bad for you if this is your case.. for me I can prove yeast in 5 different tests …. so RS for now doesnt work for me… remember yeast also eating sugars and starches.. many here probbly have great immune systems or high levels of certain bacteria that LOVE and eat RS…. we are not all the same. as well look at your supplements/ vitamins what ever is in them can also feed yeast… youll also find many with blood sugar or diabetes have high yeast levels… look at doug kauffmann http://www.knowthecause.com

• Eddie,

I have no periods. That’s part of my problem. I stopped hormonal birth control in October 2013 and have not had a period since. I got a blood test done that showed I have very low estrogen. So I’m taking herbal supplements that are supposed to help support a woman’s menstrual cycle & increase estrogen naturally. We’ll see how it goes. I’ve already had a blood test for food allergies and I came up with no sensitivity to rice, although I can’t remember about the other starchy carbs. I’d have to go back and look. Finally, I did a stool sample a little while ago and my yeast was only at level 1 (Genova diagnostics CDSA). I can’t really afford to keep shelling out $$$ for expensive tests and supplements, so I’m just going to experiment and see how things go. Thanks for the input.

20. michael goroncy says:

POSSIBLE NEGATIVE REACTION TO SOIL BASED ORGANISMS.

A few months ago I consumed 2 lots of ‘Prescript assist’. Shortly after commencement I started breaking out in minor rashes on the palms of my hands, fingers, ankles and the soles of my feet.
    My GP/PCP diagnosed psoriasis..which I doubted and asked for a biopsy..which proved positive to eczema. I took the standard treatment…quarterzone cream, bleach baths and antibiotics, which cleared things to some degree.

Then a few weeks ago I started taking ‘Probiotic-3′ and ‘Primal defence’ and within a short period broke out into a severe rash from the chest down to my feet (90%) of my body and swollen legs and feet (looking a tad like ‘Elephant man’) ..wont mention the severe itching. And just started another course of antibiotics….no choice.

Been on Acidophilus Bifidus and Lactobacillus acidophilus over the years and has never been an issue.

My stab guess is that I may have an allergy to the above suspects. Which may tie in with the fact that I am allergic to ‘Penicillin’ that causes me to swell and rash.

Anybody here in this boat?..I can google forever and not find a connection.

As for Potato starch…holy shit!…..fantastic.
    I never new what a superb crap looked like or felt. I almost called my wife in to take a look.
    My other reactions are pretty much what others are experiencing.

• Micheal,

Check out Rita’s comment on the previous blog post and my response. I’m starting to suspect there is a connection, and possibly dose dependent.

• eddie says:

Look up what penicillin is formed from molds https://sites.google.com/site/windintheroses/penicillin_diy I suspect you have yeast overgrowth.. When yeast die… you get rashes on hands etc , headaches , much now a side effect. I bet you flushed out many on the probiotics . Depending what you eat HIGH carbs you feed them.. I think this RS may feed them and keep them happy / as well balancing some of the good bacteria . In others like my self.. i dont do so well with the RS .. if you think penicillin as a problem then eat a boat load of eggs…see what happens many with penicillin problems have egg problems as well

• tatertot says:

My guess is that you are experiencing a combination of histamine reactions and have a severely dysbiotic gut flora. Immunocompromised people are warned against taking SBOs and other probiotics for reasons like what you are experiencing. You seem to be immunocompromised, maybe this is a good wakeup call and you can get yourse gut straightened out before some really nasty pathogen takes over.

I’d recommend you get a full stool, blood and urine exam to find out what is in you (or not in you) that causing so much grief…endless antibiotics are not the right answer. Find a Naturopath in your area and ask for a complete workup. You see where regular doctors are taking you…right down the path of the last 50 years of our love affair with antibiotics.

It’s great that you can tolerate potato starch, that tells me you at least have some of the bacteria you need to win this battle. Without a complete test, though, you will be caught in a downward spiral that antibiotics will not fix.

Every human in the world should be able to consume small quantities of non-pathogenic microbes. We’ve done it for millions of years. When you can’t, something is wrong. The answer lies in your gut, as predicted by Hippocrates.

• gabkad says:

Tim and Michael, I find it interesting that entirely different probiotics would result in a skin reaction. AOR P3 and Prescript Assist have nothing in common from an ingredient perspective.

Michael, are you able to eat live culture yoghurt or kefir? Real sauerkraut or kimchi? Blue cheese? Natto?

Any fermented foods?

• michael goroncy says:

Thanks Eddie, Tim and Gab
      Can tolerate fermented foods..been eating them since childhood.
      My best guess is ‘Penicillin/certain Pro-biotics’ connection.
      I will follow up on Tim’s recommendation.

My condition has deteriorated in the last 24 hours. Swollen feet and legs, cracked skin, tips of thumbs, cracks and bleeding, and possible Staph infection.

I am very low tech and don’t know how to use a cell phone or download a pic..otherwise I would post it….you gotta see this shit to believe it.

• gabkad says:

Michael, have you tried Benadryl? Anti-histamine. You have not mentioned if any of the doctors recommended this.

I don’t understand why someone would prescribe an antibiotic for what seems to be an allergic reaction.

The problem is that when someone reacts to something, then the immune system goes hyper and it will react to all sorts of things that didn’t bother it before. Fabric softener for example. When skin goes nuts, wear loose cotton clothing.

If you get trouble breathing, then you need to go to emergency and get a shot of adrenaline. You really need to be careful and not aggravate whatever is going on.

I’m not sure if it’s still available, but Aveeno oatmeal bath was used for skin stuff that itches. It’s dry stuff in a pouch.

You can also add Epsom salt to bathwater.

Don’t make the bath too hot, okay? It’ll make things worse. In fact, do not take hot showers. When skin goes bonkers because the hot water strips the natural oils off the skin and then things just get worse.

21. eddie says:

has one seen the write up on the HAZDA tribe release in april 15th 2014 there bacteria make up is alot different from Italians http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/140415/ncomms4654/full/ncomms4654.html
    These include absence of Bifidobacterium and differences in microbial composition between the sexes that probably reflect sexual division of labour. Furthermore, enrichment in Prevotella, Treponema and unclassified Bacteroidetes, as well as a peculiar arrangement of Clostridiales taxa, may enhance the Hadza’s ability to digest and extract valuable nutrition from fibrous plant foods.

• Rita Weasel says:

So, eddie – I guess you’re saying it’s a Candida die-off sort of thing? If so, I wonder if the RS/PA protocol was doing good things for me by pushing the toxins out. Crap – I don’t know what to eat anymore!

• Gemma says:

Rita, eat fermented vegetables with each meal (start slowly if you have not eaten them recently) loaded on Lactobacillus plantarum. Helps with eczema issues. L. plantarum likes to eat Candida as well.

• Rita Weasel says:

Thanks, Gemma – do you think I need to lay off the potato starch and prescript assist?

• Gemma says:

Rita, hard to say or give advise, you need to watch and experiment. Perhaps the best might be to decrease/stop RS for some days, go on with the PA and eat your sauerkraut and other fermented veggies. Read also this blog here:

• eddie says:

the whole problem with all this …is like TIM says you really need a good blood work up , stool and urine work up.. to know really what to treat. Standard Docs toss antibiotics out like candy …which creates more problems and will KILL off bacteria that eat RS… then your nasty friends bad bacteria and yeast dive into it… In some cases it should be antifungals yet they never give these out as they dont know sheeeet in this area. The problem is like tim says you need a Naturopath. ( who looks at bacteria and yeast–and looks at building up the gut not tearing it down) or look at good sources and labs and look , search and learn yourself. A start is … http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com
      tests would be” OAT test” and “COMP stool”
      your standard doc or GI uses limited tests — which really suck and are low scale. these hospital and local labs really only test a hand full of things.. greatplans example LOOKS at 92 bacteria markers , 48 yeasts and 22 parisites. your local labs A- dont look at yeast B- look at only a handful of bacteria… or parasites. It is sad..I went thru this with crohns until I woke up smelled the coffee and realized .. A-there treatment makes you more sick (antibotics and immune sup present drugs) they just make more issues– they turn off the circuit breaker so you dont feel whats going on in your gut..you then never get well and create more bad bacteria and YEAST problems.. For me I think many of all these problems have come from yeast— bad diets , killing of good bacteria antibotics , etc
      TIM is the man and knows his stuff on RS GOOD bacteria eat the stuff..you can see from his american gut… but some of us are a mess and overloaded with yeast or dont have or carry the same strains of bacteria .. if your missing some … then other bad things may eat the RS… why TIM says to get urine stool etc work ups … until you fix the issues the RS may not work in your favor …

• eddie says:

I found I can eat tons of REAL pickles and german sauerkraut.. “”make sure it has NO vinegar ” L. plantarum helps block candida , spriulina will eat at it..Cyanobacteria try caplyric acid that break its down… you have to switch your balance away from yeast toward bacteria…
      look at it this way you have a room of DOGS , big huskies and little chows as the food comes in whos going to get it first… bacteria or yeast. until you lessen the room

22. leo delaplante says:
    • LeonRover says:

Horse shit, cow dung, pig diarrhea, bird droppings are NOT items to be consumed by humans. If this American expression “dirt” encompasses any of these then listen attentively to leo – you may ignore Court psuedoSatirist Leon. (Weak acidic solns. e.g. 5% ACV sometimes help. I like mine in ratio 1:3 with VOO – no dubya, no toid O).

Ya gotta wash those vegetables, organic or not – also pay attention to Cool Dr Art (Ayers).

Small amounts of faecal matter within a healthy family household is one thing, but large amounts far from one’s home environment often trigger Delhi belly, holiday cramps etc.

Sláinte

• I agree Leon. Very incidental ingestion is one thing.

Moreover, the way primitives got dirt (beyond incidental micro-exposure) was by digging up roots and tubers. I’m sure they brushed them off typically, perhaps rinsed them off if there was water nearby. There’s still lots of bacteria on them (incidental exposure again) and depending on the water source, even water-born bacteria.

If one were to eat any dirt (and some do, then dig way down near some plant with a root and take dirt from the surface of the root a foot or so down. That’s where fiber eating bacteria are going to be found.

23. Ankleface Wroughtlandmire says:

I’d like to hear any experiences of people who have managed to control inflammatory autoimmune conditions like rheumatoid arthritis with resistant starch and soil-baised probiotics.

During the past month I’ve been trying RS in the form of tapioca (yuca) starch, because potato starch isn’t available where I live. And during the past two weeks I’ve been trying Prescript Assist and just yesterday started the AOR Probiotic-3. No improvement so far, and in fact inflammation seems to be considerably worse. Not sure if that’s related or not; might be a die-off reaction?

I also ordered Bio-Kult, because it has Bifidobacterium Infantis, which is supposed to be anti-inflammatory. Additionally, I hope that the Clostridium in the AOR Probiotic-3 will help produce more T-reg cells to moderator the immune system a bit more and slow off the autoimmune attack. Any other bacterias that can have a similar effect?

Thanks!

• gabkad says:

Ankleface, why don’t you introduce the ‘new and strange’ slowly. Open the capsules and take only a tiny amount. Once per week for a while, then more frequently. Build up. That’s the protocol advocated by Natasha Campbell-McBride.

You don’t want to overload your system. Move forward based on what your body is telling you.

• Ankleface Wroughtlandmire says:

Not a bad idea. Thanks for the suggestion. I was kind of wondering how long these beneficial soil based bacteria continue to live and reproduce in the gut without introducing more of them from external sources. Are we talking about a day or weeks or months, provided that they are being well fed with resistant starch?

There’s always kind a nagging doubt as to whether the worsened symptoms are the result of a Herxheimer’s type reaction, or just simply natural worsening of the symptoms due to the disease progression. But then again, I’m sure that the healthy diet that I’m following, together with these good probiotics and the Boron and the resistant starch can’t hurt, which is more than can be said of the traditional medicines. So I remain hopeful, and I’m really glad that there are alternatives to the awful conventional medicine for RA.

• eddie says:

Ankleface Wroughtlandmire,

I have been doing tons of testing my self.. my family has a long history of arthritis, crohns and or type 2 diabetes… I started getting it all at 38 pain in hands etc… If you dont get any better try using this caprylic-acid … http://www.askdrmao.com/natural-health-dictionary/caprylic-acid/ you could even take it while doing RS… goes after bad bacteria and yeast

• gabkad says:

Ankleface, regardless of what sort of reaction you think is happening, as with any change, gradual is usually better because you can titrate the dose. Taper up based on dose response.

24. the iz @ oz says:

about eating dirt by the spoonfull (for those who can’t be dissuaded :D ):

you could consider “pasteurizing” it in the oven.

me thinks you’re gonna lose some of the good critters, but you’re also gonna get rid of the “bad” ones. and if you do it right, all the endospores should survive.

this is guesswork, so maybe someone who knows for sure or is more adept googling the net could refute, confirm or improve.

and to venture out a little bit more on the limb: letting the dirt dry out at room temperature before pasteurizing might (emphasis on might) induce more endospore formation, i.e. more survivors…

25. Tallulah Wolf-Angel says:

Ankleface,
    I have had RA for 20 years, until now kept in check by methotrexate/prednisone/hydroxychloroquin. Did Whole90 AIP last summer and got off prednisone. In mid-March I stopped my other meds, since they were suppressing my immune system and I wanted to try out some of these new ideas to build it back up. Since March I have been doing Dr Ayers’ noninflammatory/paleo diet; Dr BG’s 7 steps to clear SIBO (including Amazing Grass/2 T green banana flour/raw cacao); 1 C kefir and a whole green banana daily; and SBOs (PrescriptAssist, AOR-3, Body Biotics, and about to add Culturelle). When I went on the SBOs I got a rash on my chest like Rita, but it cleared up in a few days. Now dealing with raging yeast infection in my mouth (yuck!). Oh yeah, and last week I started the Borax cure. All this has resulted in my joints feeling the WORST EVER, but I am trying to keep the faith. The Borax cure says you’ll feel worse before you feel better, so at least I have the first part right ;) Borax is also supposed to be a great fungicide, so I’m hopeful it will also take care of the yeast. All in all, I am not yet an RA Success Story, but I’m determined.

• Tallulah

I am blown away with your determination. Looks like you’re somewhere like halfway there. Don’t stop. Persist, but realize that in the end, it may require a fecal transplant.

I’m thinking this more and more for a small percentage of really broken. This was discussed yesterday between Tim, Dave Asprey and myself on his show that will be forthcoming.

OTOH, you may Seek Out New Life and New Civilizations, and so take lots of notes. You might end up having to submit them to me for a post in order to help others.

But whatever the outcome, salute for trying and trying so hard and intensely. Far cry from those who take a tsp of PS, freak out, and report that it “wrecked them.” (literal quote)

• Tallulah Wolf-Angel says:

Richard, thanks for your support–it means a lot to me. With all the probiotics I’m taking, there should be some New Life civilizing my gut any day now. If find a cure, you will be the first to know.

• gabkad says:

Tallulah, is there any reason you can’t use Nystatin? It’s topical and only affects candida. It won’t screw up gut bacteria.

Thing is, candida might also be in the throat and will Borax reach that? Certainly there’s an immune deficiency from 20 years of suppression playing in here.

Is your mouth generally dry? Any reflux?

Some of the auto-immunes, like lupus and Sjogrens adversely affect salivary flow. Predispose to candida.

• Tradeit says:

I had a white coating on my tongue for years-
      tried dozens of ideas to eliminate it including opening capsules of every probiotic I could buy and the only one that worked- finally – was Prescript Assist. Simply opened the capsule and emptied the black contents directly on the tongue. Hope other ideas here go to the source to eliminate what I think is candida.

• Ankleface Wroughtlandmire says:

Tallulah,
      Thanks very much for sharing your experience. I neglected to mention that I am also trying the Borax remedy, and just as you mentioned, I’m seeing the worst RA symptoms yet. I hope that this is a good sign of curing to come.

In addition to the above, I’m waiting on shipments of naltrexone to begin low dose naltrexone treatment, and I ordered a bunch of high bio-availability curcumin. I hope that one of these or possibly a combination of all this will lead to significant improvement.

• Tallulah Wolf-Angel says:

gabkad,

I have not experienced dry mouth with my RA, nor reflux. Thanks for the scoop on Nystatin. If it doesn’t clear up with the Borax and dandelion root I’m taking, I will look into finding a doc to prescribe some for me.

Ankleface–I’m stoked that we are both in the same place with Borax. Maybe it really is real!

Tradeit–thanks for the tip! I still have some PrescriptAssist, and I’m gonna try it tonight.

• gabkad says:

Tradeit: do you use a tongue scraper? Most of the white coating on people’s tongues is bacteria. Make sure you are well hydrated, use a tongue scraper and if necessary, dilute the drugstore hydrogen peroxide (the 3% by volume) 2 parts water and 1 part Hydrogen peroxide. Gargle and swish for 1 minute. Then rinse with water a few times. The oxygen bubbles will help to clean the back of the tongue. Do not use hydrogen peroxide straight from the bottle. It will burn you. Do not rub it on! Less is more.

Only do this once per day.

• eddie says:

you can use nystatin for the GUT pill, throat etc and then diflucan for the blood… both work well THEY only target yeast/fungus/candida. and Have no effect on bacteria.. nystatin was found and formed NY from a SOIL based bacteria… which eats the yeast. Since its a soil based bacteria…im sure tubulars dont get fungus on them due to this..(a guess)
      you should try 2 weeks nystatin and then 2 weeks diflucan if you better in the one month you have a diagnoses. as well you can use a topical.. Again I did this and cured my crohns….which no GI doc and im sure you wont find many arthritis docs believe in .. Why ??? they dont learn it.. Im sure your doc probably has never given nystatin and would have to look in his med book. For me Im fixing years ( 38 years) of a messed up gut… today im 41 and perfect health… I cant do the RS but im building my science project gut up.. to one day I hope to get more RS in .. I cant do potato i react to IGG IGA IGM TCELL and Immune complex in blood and fecal IGA along with any probiotics from MILK yogurt and or butter.. I react to rice , corn , and potato in fecal. but time will tell…I can eat rutabaga thou — looking at sheep or goat milk testing next

• eddie says:

guys a good link on borax http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/borax_questions.html#Question_4401

as well im sure your killing something bad bacteria or yeast…. I went to hell and back when I killed off bad bacteria and yeast with my crohns I didnt listen to the docs….. I got worse and symptoms got worse before I got better.. . many confuse the symptoms of the body flushing and healing it self … toxins are release when yeast die and will make symptoms worse same with bad bacteria ..

the problem to quick or powerful kill all these toxins are released in the body , liver kidneys etc and youll get sick as hell….. and psobily mess up your self… more isnt better..

• Marcus says:

Hi Richard,

I’ve been thinking about fecal transplants and I think there might be another way: American Gut, Ubiome or others should be able to determine the core spectrum of gut biota in healthy individuals and after that its surely only a relatively small step to culture an analog version that contains the full suite of what we all need in a suitable prebiotic agar.

26. Richard, thank you so much for this article! I’m really interested in trying the potato starch to help my SIBO (I follow The Body Ecology Diet, but I’m still having a problem) but I react pretty badly to nightshades. Do you have any experience with how people do with it? I’m planning to try a half a teaspoon in young coconut kefir tonight and see how it goes…

• It’s all over the map, Bonnie.

Over the last year and about 100 posts on RS and thousands of comments and anecdotes, some who thought they would have probs didn’t, some who didn’t do.

There’s literally only one way to find out.

But don’t fool yourself with placebo effect…EITHER WAY. Know that if the PS causes problems, there are many other options. I say that because sometimes I wonder that some people expect a bad outcome and get it. Of course, that goes both ways too.

We are such strange, subjective creatures.

• Thanks for the quick response! That’s pretty much what I figured and yeah, I’m well aware of the placebo effect! Body Ecology has a product that I think should do the same thing that isn’t a nightshade if I do have a problem (http://bodyecology.com/constipation-lose-belly-fat-probiotic-supplement-ecobloom.html), but I really like the elegance of being able to buy a cheap bag of flour instead!

• It’s STARCH, Bonnie!

• Energy! says:

You could try mung bean starch from an Asian grocery store. Pine is the brand I use.

27. I’m a bit confused by some of the reactions to the SBOs. For the people getting rashes and other weird side effects, is it because they have probably had a bad reaction to the SBOs (too much too soon) or is it something else? Can SBOs actually be bad for some people?

• Rita Weasel says:

Hi CCL – for me at least, I think that an allergic reaction triggered the rash, but then the protocol of RS/SBOs I had just started made my system go haywire. The doc said it looked like my immune system was compromised in some way, but that’s an inexact prognosis. I have no history of auto immune disease, etc. Then, all of a sudden, I had candida die-off symptoms when I stopped the RS/SBO. I think there are just a lot of factors in play and research plus n=1 experimentation is the only thing I can do! Anyone else with greater insight than me, please respond! Thanks!

• Thanks, Rita. Anyone else with similar symptoms that could help would be great.