_ap_ufes{"success":true,"siteUrl":"freetheanimal.com","urls":{"Home":"http://freetheanimal.com","Category":"http://freetheanimal.com/blog-admin","Archive":"http://freetheanimal.com/2014/07","Post":"http://freetheanimal.com/2014/07/when-will-kings.html","Page":"http://freetheanimal.com/advertising-product-service","Nav_menu_item":"http://freetheanimal.com/2014/07/subscribe.html","Content_ad_widget":"http://freetheanimal.com/?content_ad_widget=widget-2-5x118"}}_ap_ufee

Charles Richardson Smears a Reddish Tint of Orange on Your Face. A Resistant Starch N=1 With Bloodwork

Oh the hater howls last mid-February, here and everywhere. Gotcha!

See, I dared to publish Charles Richardson's facial before and after, because having seen many of the same over the years, I knew exactly what I was seeing; no shadow of a doubt, and in an instant. Visceral. Hugely reduced inflammation, and where that always seems most remarkable is in the face.

sidebyside 2014feb
Mr. Charles Richardson, 62. See the Original Post Here.

Instead of caving to the haters, who would never bother to look into Resistant Starch anyway—merely look for a gotcha—I doubled down and posted Michelle's similar facial recomposition.

me two times

Basically same hate around and about. Still obvious to me. To many others as well.

So anyway, the problem here is that Charles Richardson is no dummy. While I'm not certain of his background, he emails Tim and I full-text studies that aren't open full-text access. You speculate. Moreover, he's been on a low-carb and often ketogenic diet for about 40 years, he tells me. It was beginning to ruin him, he also tells me, and "Stupid Fucking Potato Starch" changed his life.

Sly as he is, he did before and after bloodwork, so let's check it out, shall we? The only thing he changed was adding RS via Potato Starch to his otherwise LC diet.

CRP (C-reactive protein - marker of general inflammation)

CRP
CRP

Triglycerides (fat in the blood)

TRIGS
TRIGS

Total Cholesterol to HDL Ratio (lower is better)

TOTAL HDL RATIO
TOTAL to HDL RATIO

Triglycerides to HDL Ratio (lower is better)

TRIG HDL RATIO
TRIGS to HDL RATIO

OK, so while not every single thing is optimal, most are, and he was otherwise moderate and high risk after 40 years on an LC and often Ketogenic diet. This will immediately be dismissed by 100% of LC Doctors, guaranteed. GUARANTEED! You see, most LC doctors operate on the premise that a chronic LC and/or ketogenic diet is the most optimal and healthy. Therefore, if bloodwork is "adverse," it's because there's something wrong—either the tests don't matter, there's no basis for them, or in some cases, bad is actually good (such as in high cholesterol driven by eating as much butter as you can).

I advance the bizarre notion that while there is nothing in the world wrong with natural fats in plants and animals, that the optimal way to get at them is to eat the food they come in, and to not go overboard processing them to extract the fat portion, eating them supplementally while beating your chest. Crazy, I know. And, I'll still dress my salads in EVOO.

So I've come a little full circle. Love all the natural fats. I try to minimize added fat, above the fat that's in the foods I eat.

There's one more chart, and this is a test I knew zero about. I love to learn new things, so those who know, please do elaborate in comments.

Monocytes (middle is better)

MONOCYTES
MONOCYTES

Wikipedia says:

Monocytes are a type of white blood cells (leukocytes). They are the largest of all leukocytes. They are part of the innate immune system of vertebrates including all mammals (humans included), birds, reptiles, and fish. They are amoeboid in shape, having clear cytoplasm. Monocytes have bean-shaped nuclei that are unilobar, which makes them one of the types of mononuclear leukocytes (agranulocytes). Monocytes constitute 2% to 10% of all leukocytes in the human body. They play multiple roles in immune function. Such roles include: (1) replenishing resident macrophages under normal states, and (2) in response to inflammation signals, monocytes can move quickly (approx. 8–12 hours) to sites of infection in the tissues and divide/differentiate into macrophages and dendritic cells to elicit an immune response. Half of them are stored in the spleen[1] (except in people who have undergone splenectomy). Monocytes are usually identified in stained smears by their large kidney shaped or notched nucleus. These change into macrophages after entering into the tissue spaces.

So pretty cool, eh? There's a comment somewhere I just saw where after significant time on Resistant Starch, the guy's cholesterol shifted from pattern B to pattern A. Chris Kresser:

Researchers working in this area have defined what they call Pattern A and Pattern B. Pattern A is when small, dense LDL is low, large, buoyant LDL is high, and HDL is high. Pattern B is when small, dense LDL is high, HDL is low, and triglycerides are high. Pattern B is strongly associated with increased risk of heart disease, whereas Pattern A is not.

And on the other side, someone I saw in comments had a higher particle number of cholesterol after some months.

For me, Charles' numbers suggest an hypothesis that 1) LC diets might be metabolically great for human cells, but they starve the other 90% of cells in your body, leading to adverse outcomes; and 2) that the gut biome is of such tremendous importance (recall, the only thing he changed, and he's a 4-decade-long practitioner of LC) that we're only beginning to scratch the surface.

A few closing notes:

1. I keep getting these emails and other confirmation bias messages, where a chronic LCer uses potato starch, gains a couple of pounds, and says Ha! Dealt with. "Now I can speak with AUTHORITY!" You should gain weight: in biomass (lean), in colon wall width (lean), and also in your own lean tissue (lean): Resistant starch and energy balance: impact on weight loss and maintenance. So laughably, the LC Shiites are doing what the LC Shiites always do: operate from the premise that anything counter just has to be wrong a-priori, and all they have to do is figure out a way to show it.
  2. If you're new to all this: A Gut Microbiome, Soil-Based Probiotic, and Resistant Starch Primer For Newbies.
  3. The soil based probiotics are critically important. This mimics what you might have received living in the dirt as Paleoman: Probiotics: The Genetic Component of Obesity. The idea here is rather one of a unification. Perhaps obesity is genetic—but the genes in your gut microbiome outnumber those of your human cells by over 100 times. Think about that. And think of the brain-gut connection, and all the synthesized chemicals they give off that influence your desires, urges, hungers and in-turn, behaviors.

In terms of the SBOs in #3, they are pricey. What I suggest is to pound them for a couple of weeks, then back off to 1 pill, once per day, of one of the brands, rotating through. So, each bottle should last you almost 6 months, but you're getting the widest range possible.

People have asked, "well, once the microbial population is established, can't you just stop, but continue to feed via Resistant Starch?" Maybe, but we know that ancient man got a regular supply of dirt via his environment and on the food he was eating, particularly in dug-up roots. So, it'll always be a part of my regime, but I think one pill every three days or so—and periodically going with no supplementation at all—is what's currently on the table for me.

...The book is going crazy. we're aiming to get it to the publisher in time for a Holiday release. We'll see. Lots and lots to do still. Sitting at about 400 pages, over 2,000 references, with a substantial number of references having been published in 2013 and 2014.

Thanks for always staying tuned. If you like the post and/or the work, you can always say so by hitting this link when you shop Amazon, no matter what you care to buy. Costs you nothing, I get about 8.5% of your cart from Amazon. Win and win. Thanks, and always feel free to feed-back in comments.

Comments

1. “In terms of the SBOs in #3, they are pricey. What I suggest is to pound them for a couple of weeks, then back off to 1 pill, once per day, of one of the brands, rotating through.”

Is there any way to grow this stuff at home, using one of the capsules as starter? I’ve tried it and it seems that if you mix a broken capsule of SBOs in filtered water (get the microbe-killing chlorine and fluoride out first!) with some maple syrup or organic sugar and put it in a pop-top cider jug for a week, you get a funky-smelling brew that you can drink. Am I culturing ALL the SBOs? Maybe not. But I’m definitely getting something that smells pretty damn earthy and doesn’t cost 55 bucks a pop.

Any of you guys have a lab and want to check if this stuff can grow in your cupboard? I figure we can do it with yogurt and kefir, so why not with SBOs. They grow every day in yer backyard, fer dog’s sake…

2. I’m neither a hater nor a resistant-starch poo-pooer, but I do have an observation. In the previous post highlighting Charles’ pictures, it said he started using potato starch in “August or September,” presumably of 2013. The test results date back to 2012 – in fact both of the first two sets of lab results on each graph would have preceded the potato starch supplementation. So, while he’s demonstrated an impressive reduction in inflammation (hs-CRP), it appears most of that reduction occurred before potato starch was started. Am I missing something?

• Adrienne says:

@Lanie — I noticed this too.

• Charles says:

I’m not sure what you’re seeing. The middle test was in July of 2013, just before starting resistant starch and probiotics. (My first order of Bob’s RM Potato starch was in August 2013.) The whole point is that both previous lab tests were done before the resistant starch/probiotic experiment. All of the results before the July 2013 test were heading in the wrong direction, and had been for a while.

I started resistant starch and probiotics just after the July 2013 test, coincidentally. And the latest test was last week, May 2014. The improvements happened between July 2013 and May 2014.

The 2.04 CRP reading was a bit of an outlier. It had been around 1-1.5. So yes, the .95 in the middle was closer to mean. But the 0.42 is off the charts. (According to one study I read, that’s in the 10th percentile.) You could say it was going to come down anyway I guess, if you look at it in isolation. If you look at it in the context of all the other numbers, it’s clear to me something significantly positive happened between July of 2013 and May of 2014.

Does that answer your question?

• Charles says:

“In a combined report of 4 studies that included 22,403 apparently healthy U.S. adults, the 10th, 50th, and 90th percentile values for CRP were 0.40, 1.50, and 6.05 mg/L for men and 0.29, 1.52, and 6.61 mg/L for women, respectively.” http://www.annclinlabsci.org/content/36/2/163.full

So my CRP numbers, at age 62, went from probably the 45th percentile down to the 10th percentile. I don’t think that’s the usual pattern.

• Charles says:

Sorry, I should say “all of the tests EXCEPT the hs-CRP” were going in the wrong direction. the CRP had come down to what had been normal for me. Then it kept going to where it is lower than 90% of U.S. males.

• Charles says:

Last comment on this thread. Your question is reasonable, and not unwelcome at all. Asking them doesn’t make you a hater or a doubter, just a skeptic, which is a very, very good thing.

I could have left the first test off, and just shown the 50% reduction from July to now, but that wouldn’t have been honest.

But ultimately I really wasn’t looking for numbers. Last summer, pre-RS, I was feeling like crap generally. Poor sleep, no energy, severe brain fog, moderate-to-high anxiety, my joints were hurting, and I looked as crappy as I felt. LC wasn’t working, ketosis wasn’t working, plus those crappy numbers scared me. Life sucked, big time. And at 62, I wasn’t sure I could get better…

Since RS/Probiotics, I have tons of energy, I sleep like a champ, I look better (according to both friends and enemies), I have the best poops you can imagine (though you probably don’t want to), and my blood work confirms I’m in a healthier state. That’s what counts, and now there is objective confirmation of what I feel subjectively.

• I’m a big fan of data but your self-report is actually very compelling. I really appreciate your willingness to share your info with us, and I’m glad you’re doing so well.

• Charles says:

Thanks, Lanie. Nice of you to say. I did tell Richard when I sent him these that people would want to see the actual blood, not just the numbers.

• Even your blood will not be enough, for some. *insert wicked laugh*

3. Every time I see my face in one of your articles it cracks me up.

I am still doing well. I’d love to get blood work, but don’t have a good way to pay for it and no insurance :) I’ve gained about 6 more pounds since I wrote up my N=1, but I am not dismayed by it.
    First off, I am down one clothing size in spite of both gains, and have been forced to start sewing new schlubby clothes for my plain ol’ self. Also, I am healthy in a way that I can’t relay to someone in words… Revitalized. I’m still fatter than all get out, and don’t expect that to change easily after a lifetime of food abuse and yo-yo dieting.
    We moved in March to Eugene away from the coast and started working for our old employers at their new business. I was so afraid to move boxes at first as any time before my energy would get so low I was afraid I was literally going to die.
    Not so much this time, lol! I was hurling stuff around, to my husband’s amazement.
    We have a large flight of stairs to march up to get to our living quarters. When we first arrived I took the stairs one at a time. Now I run up and down them more than 25 times a day, as customers come and go and as the phone rings! I feel “strong like BULL!” I know some of it is just getting accustomed to running up and down, but the big difference is that I am not TIRED! So lovely!
    We’ve put in a big garden, and I get sun every day, going out and weeding and working with the plants in the garden as well as the yard. I run around with the dogs as well :) I had to drop back on Vitamin D as I am getting a lot more sun than I used to, and my face is getting quite pink and freckly :)
    Remember, last August I was housebound and had to rest after getting dressed, and crashed when my blood sugar hit 680. The low carbing I did after I crashed helped to lower my blood glucose but the effect was wearing off when I found RS and FTA.
    In spite of the weight gain, my blood sugar numbers are excellent. I hardly go above 90 during the day, and my first morning numbers have dropped down to around 100. BIG difference from the 180′s that I was blowing through back when I started. I’m also working on breaking my ‘tube addiction and learning to lift hand weights again. Someone gave me 30 and 50 pound kettlebells and I am thinking about hurling those around as well.
    I can tell that I am still improving, and am doing absolutely nothing to diet in any way. I just eat *mostly* PHD style with beans added and run around like a maniac, when I am not soaking up time on the internet *for shame!*
    At some point, as the process slows down for me, or when I feel like I need to make major changes, I will start looking at changing my diet further to try for weight loss. But not right now. I am savoring feeling like a normal human being.
    Thanks Richard, Tim, Dr Grace, Charles and Gabriella K for coaching me through this. No one may make it out of life alive, but I have hope I will do better than crawl to the finish line :)

• Amazing update, Michelle.

I think you have exactly the right strategy. Having energy to move is critically important when you’ve gotten to a place where is can become self-perpetuating.

Yay for you!

• Yay for you too! Your blood work looks great :)

• gabkad says:

Michelle, your first picture looked like you had myxedema (low thyroid function) except you still had your eyebrows. But the angulation of the eyebrows indicates low adrenal function as well.

It’s too bad you couldn’t afford to get tested for this, but whatever you are now doing appears to have improved the situation. What’s telling is your blood glucose level. Because hypothyroid can cause diabetes and other problems as well.

This just goes to show that a change in circumstance and other change can have a positive influence on endocrine function. I.e. dysfunctions are not cast in stone.

• I had terrible thyroid trouble after years of low carbing. I took loads of Armour Thyroid and tried the Wilson T3 protocol out of complete desperation but did not improve until I stopped low carbing. Most unfortunately, I then I gained a boat load of weight :/
      The combo of PHD/RS/SBO seems to have dealt with most of the things wrong with me :)
      The process to heal seems to take approximately as long as it took for me to get into serious trouble. It’s sure not an overnight thing.
      When our financial situation improves I may try directlabs.com where one can get blood tests done without having a doctor.

• Charles says:

Michelle: You can get tests through WellnessFX.com. No doc necessary.

• I just checked out their site and have a question: can you tell where their labs are? The site says to sign up for an account before finding a lab, and I know directlabs.com has one in the area.

• Charles says:

They use LabCorp up where I am. You can email them and ask. They are nice folks. I’ve been using them for a couple of years.

• Ok, thanks. I will see if I can scrape up the cash after my next paycheck. Any recommendations as to what I should test?

• Michelle – hs-CRP is a good one to evaluate overall inflammation. You might also get a blood insulin test done to see how your pancreas is doing – if it’s still pumping out lots of insulin or if it’s gotten tired cuz of the “beetus.” <–hahaha I just love that.

• millie says:

You can identify the state of someone’s adrenal function by looking at the angle of their eyebrows?

• gabkad says:

millie, yes. And the colour of the tissue at the lower inner corner of the eyes as well.

Puffiness in the upper eyelid can be low thyroid.

Fatty puffy bags under the eyes = stress fat.

The face tells a lot about the patient’s general health. Endocrine problems are evident on the face.

I get an up close personal look because of my job.

Michelle doesn’t have a more recent picture of herself but it would be very interesting to see how she looks now. Sounds, based on her account of physical stamina and activity levels, her face is probably changed since the second picture.

I think she’s thinking straight about not worrying about losing weight at the moment and just getting healthier. It’ll be a lot easier and maybe even effortless to lose the excess weight when she feels strong.

4. Darcie says:

What sort of doses are we talking about for “pounding” sbo’s? I was doing one prescript assist twice/day and not noticing anything.

5. victor says:

The lighting in both sets of photos are different and thus unimpressive. Sorry.

• Charles says:

I knew you would show up, Victor. Welcome to bias confirmation land.

• Charles says:

Just for the record, Victor, no one is trying to impress you, or convince you, or even entertain you. This is about individuals trying to figure out what’s going on with our health and our bodies (and our guts, lately), and how we can improve our lives. We note our experiences here so others, who are interested, might benefit, and be informed of what approaches are being tried, and what the results of those N=1 experiments have been.

We did go through the whole picture thing a while back though. You might want to go read that post and all the comments.

Your comment is not unreasonable, but it does assume the pictures were trying to “prove” something. They weren’t, either in my case or Michelle’s. They were just single data points in a whole constellation of experiences of mine and others. And now the numbers confirm a significant change in general inflammation. So the idea is to take those two data points together, and think about what they might mean in terms of the effects of adding resistant starch and probiotics to an otherwise pretty good, standard LC, diet. What do you think those two data points mean?

• victor says:

So the photos were just “single data points” amongst a whole lotta evidence? Seems to me that implies “proving” something. Hey I’ve looked at all the research and I’m a believer. The problem is that I’ve always been in pretty good shape and when people submit claims of some great improvement on their health with product x,y, or z I don’t. At 57 years of age I do want to preserve what I have so with research I do take Bob’s unmodified potato starch,D3,K2,and liver once every 5 days or so and I do feel good, just not fountain of youth good that I thought(before your correcting me) RN was portraying.

• Victor, you expose yourself.

Thanks. I love to dismiss people. You’re dismissed.

All you did was tell everyone that you’re blind. That’s all. Sorry.

• It is not a “fountain of youth”, and as you said, you’ve ALWAYS been in pretty good shape. I am and have been in miserable shape for years. I was sick, terribly sick for a long time, then the ‘Beetus came and got me.
      It has made SUCH a huge difference in my health I hardly know where to begin. But I have no idea what benefit, if any, someone would get that was already doing a lot of things right, instead of being a morbidly obese sedentary middle aged (47 y.o.) female expecting to die at any given moment. I may still, as I really abused my self and health for a LONG time. But now I am getting around like a reasonably healthy 47 year old woman, not creeping around like a nearly dead 80 year old. So not youth, but at least my actual age. YMMV.

• “Seems to me”

Who gives a shit. I mean, really. Who cares, Victor.

Go do whatever you want. If you think you are going to be the police around here, you’re off base.

• victor says:

A blind moron. I like it. Since you’re dismissing me I guess I’ll have to see what your future bride’s doing over on the scribble pad. I do love your posts though. Is that the moron in me?

• For the record *heh*
      Ya know what I am doing right now? Dancing *!* around my kitchen in my bare feet (could not go bare before due to massive foot swelling) in my swirly skirt to really loud music, eating local strawberries *!* ; cooking up fajitas with beef and vegetables that came from just up the road, with almost every ingredient locally,carefully and frugally sourced as I am a poor person with a rice/bean mix I cooked and froze last week to maximize RS, and laughing my behind off that I can do ANY of these things.
      Ya know what I was doing this time last year? Mostly laying in bed, eating out of freezer bags, thinking I was about to die.
      I am sure it does not mean a darned thing to you, but it means everything to me.
      But hey, I am still fat, and the pictures are bad, so nothing counts.

• Victor

OK, you made me laf. Good sport.

You don’t even know the half of it. I have her blocked in Twitter and Facebook. Too OCD. Don’t give a shit about her personal troubles right now. Don’t care.

• gabkad says:

Michelle, I have a number of patients, staff and extended family taking PS now. One of these patients came in and she looks fabulous! She doesn’t look dragged out tired anymore. She takes one huge heaping tablespoon of PS at bedtime and it has improved her sleep and her bowel movements tremendously.

One of the patients came in the other day and told me that she was so excited, she woke her fiancé up at 4 a.m. I asked her if it was an X rated dream. No. It was a fantastic bowel movement. LOL!

• Now THAT is funny :)

• LeonRover says:

“seems to me”
      you just turn yr pretty head & walk away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_4iQDYDVNo -

6. Regina says:

Nice to hear from you Michelle (and Charles).
    Sounds great.

7. kayumochi says:

Could one lower a chronically elevated WBC count with this PS + SBO protocol? Possibly.

8. Erica says:

Richard, I seriously love everything that you write on this blog and have learned so much. I cannot wait for the book to be released!

Question about the SBO- what are you thoughts on this article? Would love to get your insight.

• tatertot says:

That article is full of misconceptions, but also some good advice. The ad is designed to sell a specific product, so they make it look like only their probiotic brand is worthy of buying.

Notice they say only live bacteria make a difference and to stay away from SBO’s, but then recommend lots of fermented food–which is full of SBOs, living, dead, and in spore form.

They need to advise eating fermented foods because their probiotic probably doesn’t work, lol.

They also fall short when talking about prebiotics. Their advice to eat Inulin foods over FOS is good, but it is nearly impossible to get anywhere near enough inulin in food form. You need RS and other fibers, too.

About 1/2 way down is a ‘supplement facts’ picture..is that their product? If so, it’s full of SBOs they say to avoid.

It’s just an ad…a pretty good one…but not telling 100% the truth and missing a few key points.

• Erica says:

It doesn’t seem to me that they’re promoting their own product? Where do you see any mention of that?

• tatertot says:

I could be wrong. It just seems like the blog is designed to get you to buy something eventually. It’s easy to make a case for or against certain probiotics.

“Probiotic supplements such as Theralac protect the contents of the capsule to ensure delivery of the contents into the intestines which is where they need to be. Only there can they be truly effective.”

• Erica says:

Yeah, I suppose you have a point. Other than that mention, however, there wasn’t any direct link to purchase any particular product which is why I was intrigued by this perspective considering I’m so accustom to reading about the supposed benefits of probiotics.

One more question regarding Prescript Assist– I know everyone’s body chemistry is different, and obviously reacts to things differently, but generally speaking are you supposed to actually feel a difference immediately when starting these? And if so, what are the typical positive effects? I’ve also started my mom on a regimen of PA and, of course, she’s curious to know if they can contribute to added weight loss. FYI, she’s already added potato starch to her diet.

• tatertot says:

I really don’t knowwhat to make of that blog, they say don’t use SBOs, but then show a picture of a probiotic with HSOs, which is the same thing.

I figured that the blog is the pet project of the doctor who got all his info from a probiotic manufacturer and just regurgitated it without much thought.

At any rate, I don’t think taking probiotics should really make you ‘feel’ any different, but it probably depends on the amount of dysbiosis in the gut and other factors such as SIBO, yeast, pathogens, etc…

If someone has major issues, prebiotics and probiotics and a good diet, lifestyle changes, etc.. should make a difference quickly, like within a couple weeks. If no change is observed, or things worsen, you’d really need to get your gut tested. The gut tests mentioned at the end of the blog we were talking about are really good tests to use.

Could PA lead to weight loss? Certainly. But it won’t be overnight, it should just be part of the gut healing process. More a long-term event that leads to naturally better partitioning of calories, absorption of nutrients, correction of hunger hormones…that sort of thing. They won’t just start melting off fat like a magic pill.

• Erica says:

Appreciate your reply and your time.

Don’t know if you’re interested, but I found this study about probiotics pretty interesting…

• tatertot says:

Great paper!
      L. plantarum is one that always shows good promise in whatever they are looking for. It’s the only probiotic I take for now. I get the Swanson’s brand, 2 billion CFU 30 pills for $10. L. plantarum is what we should be getting from fermented foods if we were serious about making and eating them as often as we should.

• Charles says:

They have a buy 1 get one free special on that right now. Order and pay for two, get four.

• Erica says:

I might look into getting L. plantarum myself to supplement the PA. I was looking for a supplement that had both plantarum and gasseri but can’t seem to find one (that doesn’t consequently supply acidophilus as well).

• Erica says:

What do you think of this probiotic?

Also, regarding RS: are there any other potent sources that aren’t nightshade derived or from banana/plantain? I’m severely intolerant to potatoes and all nightshades for that matter, and developed a banana allergy a few months back.

• newbie says:

Hi Tatertot,
      If you want to get L. plantarum naturally in a fermented food, you can try Bubbie’s Dill pickles – I corresponded with the company – here is part of the response -The bacteria that is found in both the pickles and sauerkraut is lactobacillus, yet within this species of bacteria there exist different cultures/strains, some Probiotic, some not.

In pickles, lactobacillus plantarum is the strain that is predominant.
      In sauerkraut however, there are two major strains:
      1. Leuconostoc mesenteroides
      2. Wisella (several species that are hard to tell apart.)

• Erica says:

Hmm, I don’t think that link is working. Try this one:

• tatertot says:

Erica, I couldn’t open the link, sorry.

Another RS source is Hi-Maize corn starch, sold by King Arthur Flour http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/hi-maize-fiber-12-oz

It’s almost exactly the same as banana flour and just a bit less than potato starch in RS content.

Can you do rice and beans? Use Uncle Ben’s converted rice..cook, store in freezer, heat up when you need to eat it. Do the same with beans. Lots of RS there!

Also, dark chocolate, almonds, and lentils are good sources of fermentable fiber.

• Erica says:

Great, thanks. I’ll consider trying out the corn starch. I generally don’t make it a habit to consume corn products but I’m willing to give it a whirl.

I wish I could say that I tolerate beans/lentils but my body objects every time I try to incorporate them. Rice is a grey area for me; sometimes I can eat it without any ill effects and other times it doesn’t seem to sit well with me. I also don’t consume any nuts as I fair best, at least for the time being, on an autoimmune type elimination plan (I have celiac disease among many other issues). So as you can see, I’m pretty limited in terms of my RS choices. We’re all good on the dark chocolate front however. ;)

And as for the link, this should work:

9. Ok, time for me to finally post my results and thoughts. For what its worth of course.

1. As others reported here and on Heisenberg’s blog, my skin clears up on the combination of SBO’s and RS. Specifically, scalp and chest acne, which have plagued me forever (2 decades so far).

2. I am getting new hair growth along my receded hairline, about half inch below the previous line. Started in the past 3 months. I have been doing RS since beginning of January. I haven’t been doing anything else out of the ordinary diet and nutrition-wise. I can’t explain it, won’t try to, and doubters are free to doubt.

3. Mentally more even-keel than I’ve ever been.

4. Was VLC for 3 years and regularly had cold hands and feet. It was vastly worse for me before VLC for an additional 5 years before, because something else was my nutrition was so messed up but it never really improved under VLC. Now my hands and feet are almost always quite warm, but never sweaty.

5. I don’t really get body odor anymore, underarm, on arm, etc. It might take an extra couple days for it to be noticeable to me.

6. My thoughts on rice as a resistant starch source – I hypothesize that traditional rice-eating cultures cooked the rice once per day and ate from it through-out the day, for the most part cooled from being carried with them to work, or just because in pre-modern times too much and unnecessary effort to reheat it. Thus traditional rice-eating cultures should have received RS this way, alongside traditional roots/tubers. Just a hypothesis you may be interested to explore.

• tatertot says:

WW – What is your main RS source? I think that we initially underplayed the roll of RS3 in favor of RS2, mostly just because it was easier to measure and made an immediate difference, even if it was just more farts.

RS3 from cooked and cooled/reheated starches rarely makes people fart, even in doses of 50-100g/day, but this doesn’t mean it’s not working. In fact, it may be working even better.

Your comments about cooked and then eaten cold foods is spot on and something we should try to emulate more than eating the raw RS2 starch granules for our sole fiber needs.

Considering how easy it is to eat a pound (450g) of rice, about 500kcal and 88g carbs, cooked and cooled this rice can be 5-20% of RS3, depending on type and cooking method, could be somewhere between 20-90g of RS.

Potatoes and beans are similar in RS content. Add to these starchy foods some other good fibrous veggies and fruit and you definitely met your fiber needs for the day.

• WW

Depends on the Rice eating culture. In India Rice is eaten mostly in the south, which is very hot. They would not leave their rice lying around, as it can get bad. Indians tend to eat fresh food mostly, and supplement with pickles.

South Indians also eat Dosa, Idly, etc (made from fermented Rice+lentil batter). I think Indian traditional varieties of rice have a type of RS that does not completely convert to Starch during cooking. They tend to have lower glycemic index compared to instant Rice. Basmati Rice is actually only 58. These rice should have some residual RS, which would help the SBOs, even when freshly cooked.

• Taggart says:

Tatertot,
      Regarding the cooked and cooled rice. It was my understanding that for RS3 to develop the temperature needed to be significantly below room temp (<50 degrees Fahrenheit) and for some extended period of time. Could you offer your expert advice on this?

• tatertot says:

Rice varies in the amount of RS3 it can eventually produce based on variety. Short-grain types (sticky) rice will have least, long-grain types will have most. You can look at the Glycemic Index chart to get a better feel, the lower the GI, the more RS.

The lowest GI rice is parboiled long-grain, with a GI of 30-something.

At any rate, to squeeze every drop of RS3 out of a grain of rice, it should be cooked, then cooled to approx 40 degrees for a minimum of 8 hours. This will convert about 80% of the regular starch to RS3. To further increase the RS, you could store longer and colder, ie. in the freezer.

Reheating this rice is OK, the RS3 will survive most heating situations. To preserve the most RS3, reheat by heating very quickly with minimal moisture, as in stirfrying quickly in hot oil. But other heating methods are fine (microwave, casseroles, pilaf, etc…) the difference in RS3 will vary only a few percent with the diff methods.

Potatoes act similarly, but don’t freeze well.

Beans the same, and they do freeze well.

• TBH my main RS source is potato starch, followed by green bananas (when my wife isn’t looking – she deems it a terribly abnormal practice that of eating green bananas). I make room-temperature rice my tertiary source, which based on your comments isn’t much of a source.

10. Michael44 says:

Victor. When a person who has felt like shit for years suddenly begins to feel something approaching reasonable health, it will feel like they have discovered the fountain of youth.

11. It’s great to hear that people are doing so well on this. I’m wondering if anyone has started on SBOs and felt worse in the short-term. I’ve been on PS/Psyllium/Amazing Grass for several months and decided to add Prescript Assist to see if it would help my chronic sinusitis, like it did Richard’s. After 1/3 capsule a day for three days, I got the worst run of sinus headaches I’ve ever had (six days in a row, and even woke up with one for the first time ever), the inside of my mouth became raw and inflamed with a sore lymph node and then I broke out in cold sores, which I haven’t had for a long time. I stopped the PA after ten days. I have a neuroimmune disease, so expect any recovery to not necessarily be straightforward.

12. Eric R says:

Late, I also felt like absolute dog shit taking PA. Literally couldn’t make it past 11am without being completely exhausted and foggy. My psoriasis also got seriously worse using PS. There is something else at work here that’s undiscovered.

• Rita Weasel says:

Hi Eric and Kate:

I’ve commented before about my issues. I, too, had a rough go of it with the PA (I think that was the culprit). I quite the SBO/RS because of a heinous rash and swollen lymphs. I’m reintroducing the RS, and my body seems to really like the RS. I’m now going to start with 1/4 capsule of the PA and see what happens. I, too, would love to figure out why the PA is harder on my body. I’ve had no immune issues or candida issues before (that I know of). It was suggested in another post that yeast overgrowth was a possible issue – I still think that’s quite plausible. As an Italian, I do tend to drink too much wine, so that could definitely be throwing off my gut!

• Taggart says:

Not to be a contrarian to your experience, but I had almost the exact opposite situation. I had been taking RS for about 3 months before introducing Prescript Assist and within 1 week my psoriasis of 25 years disappeared and has not returned for 4 months now. Funny how our bodies reacted so differently.

• Charles says:

Everyone is so different on things like this. PA was great for both me and my GF. AOR Probiotic 3 did nothing in particular that I could perceive.

• gabkad says:

Charles, interesting: the only probiotic of the three that gave me a nebulous sense of ‘betterness’ was AOR P3.

I only give the PA to my cat. Who, after being off PA for three weeks, puked. Immediately I put him back on it. I noticed that the longer he was off PA the less enthusiastic he was when he ate. (He gained at least 2 needed pounds while on PA. His skinny butt was fleshing out. He’s next to the vet.) On PA he’d scarf down his food like crazy. After three weeks off, he didn’t have a ravenous appetite anymore and started eating potting soil again.

Good thing I have a whole extra bottle of 90 capsules. He’ll need them. But really? What the hell is wrong with him? I’m right now adding both PA and Primal Defense Ultra to his food.

AOR P3 gave another of my cats inappetance/anorexia. After only 1 dose. She would not go near her food bowl. I even made an appointment with the vet and had complete bloodwork done. She’s fine (needs dental work again, poor cat….long history and only cat I’ve ever owned that’s needed teeth out…) But the AOR P3 really did not agree with her guts. The only thing that really makes a difference for this cat is raw chopped meat. She gets it for three days on week-ends. She gained 1 pound (really needed) and is playing with everything, toys, other cats (age 11).

My cats are not susceptible to placebo effect and I’ve been trained to not see more into something than is. So I conclude based on their responses that everyone responds in their own unique way to probiotics.

I added PA for a while to my non problematic cats’ food and noticed no change. I guess their guts are good. No hairball puking or anything.

• Sorry to hear that, Eric. But glad to know I’m not the only one.

• Interesting – I’ve been wondering about starting again but with a lower dose. Hard to know what to do for the best.

• That’s fantastic – congratulations! It’s been suggested to me that PA was overstimulating for my immune system (too much of a good thing). Hard to know.

• Rita Weasel says:

Gabkad – that’s amazing- I love your cat experiments! I had no idea that SBOs could affect appetite. But, then again, it makes perfect sense when you think about it. Thank you, Richard, for creating a space for us to have these discussions!!!

13. Eric R says:

Uh, Kate*

14. BigRob says:

A very interesting article on skin bacteria and why using soap may not be so good:

15. Ashley says:

Thanks for the labs Charles! Am I correct based off the article that you only added the probiotics and potato starch to your Low Carb regimen? Meaning no RS in the form of cooled rice, cooled potatoes, etc. like outlined in Richard’s eating plan in another post? I guess what I’m getting at is can you stay low carb and add resistant starch and get the benefits as opposed to upping the carb intake with cooled starches at each meal? I’m not a fan of cooled rice and the like honestly. I can handle a cold potato salad, but that’s probably it. Beans are just yuck to me lol.