One Neolithic Mind At A Time

I get email.

I had never considered anarchy or what it is before reading about your views. Government was always assumed in my political thinking before. I could write on and on about my past issues with "the general public" and their views on religion, government, and everything else. I'm sure you already know everything I'd say about that moment where your nebulous thoughts that would seem crazy to everyone around you realize into your "code."

Sometimes all it takes is one missing piece, like a key that unlocks the code and arranges your feelings into a system. The very basic principle of "I don't have the right to force anyone else to do something" was the key that brought clarity to my thinking. the word "anarchy" once evoked a vision of chaos in my mind. Well chaos is a pretty good word to describe the infinite complexity that has stemmed from governing people by force.

The "downside" is that I've come to realize I have deep moral issues with my profession, haha. I suppose at some point when I was in high school, college, and law school, sitting in class thinking "this is bullshit, am I really spending my life learning about all this nonsense?" I could have embraced that thought and done something else. Well here I am trying to figure out the next step. And I've found my next area of discussion where people either don't comprehend what I'm saying, or think I'm crazy.

"Why don't you like being a lawyer?"

"Basically, I feel like the law is bullshit, and the system is evil. And I sort of feel like I'm supporting it. And I sort of feel like I'm wasting my life dealing with needless complexity and becoming a master of nothing and contributing nothing of substance to the world, at best."

"Well, you help people!"

Well these are people that should be able to help themselves, but can't because of that endless complexity I just talked about. That complexity serves to safeguard my income, I feel. These people must pay people like me vast sums of money to deal with issues they should be able to solve on their own, without getting caught up in the wheels of government.

So I'm figuring out what is next, now. I'm facing a problem I've never faced before. Now, I'm in my 30's—after spending my life in school—with a present skill set that involves demonstrating unwavering respect to fabricated authorities and navigating others through archaic inefficient systems. At least I haven't bought into the deep debt for appearance and comfort game of my peers, and don't need much to live on.

I'll figure it out, and I will make myself better than before.

I have been thinking for a while that it would be great to be able to thank you personally. Beyond diet/exercise/politics, in the past few years of reading your work I've learned to respect and develop fluidity of thought. Dynamic beliefs. For all of my questioning everything before, I was building my own weakness, a wall of ideals. Questioning everything includes my own beliefs and assumptions, INCLUDING those that have already been questioned and reshaped.

Also, the concept that truths can come from people you wouldn't normally like or believe; and learning the truth trumps criticizing the messenger. That's been hugely valuable to me. This concept has opened the door to information I'd have never looked at before.

So, after writing such a long comment to The Daily Fucktard and knowing you are busy, I hope this comment doesn't frustrate and makes you feel something like "good." You've helped me become a better person.

All in a day's and decade's work. I do take note that it's typically the educated folks who come around easiest. Any ideas why?

...Oh, and by the way, I have been reworking my whole 9-Part Anarchy Begins at Home series on Medium, heavily edited, switching out pics, cool banners, etc. Check it out. I'm through part 4.

Comments

1. Jon McRae says:

I am having a similar renaissance of the mind and spirit.

2. “Any ideas why?”

I hazard a guess and say it’s because of the word “educated”, they have been imprisoned the longest.

Just caught a re-run of Schindlers list on tv this morning, couldnt turn it off and through my newly acquired ancap view of the world cant believe how devastating that movie is because of the new levels you see it on.

Oh by the way, “Free the Animal”, I couldnt think of a more profound name for this blog, not in 1000 yrs.

• Dan.

Can you believe that “Feed the Animal” was my first choice, but it was taken?

Can you believe how many times I’ve thanked my lucky stars over the philosophical open-endedness of the latter?

• Clearly doG was looking out for you the day it was chosen ;)

3. cobalt says:

What a great email.
    I think a lot of people are going through something of this nature. I feel like all my education was some kind of indoctrination into a way of thinking that I knew deep down was wrong or upsidedown. There are still a lot of people who are really holding onto the old perceptions though, and think that you are crazy for questioning it. From where I’m at now, I think they are crazy for not questioning it. The problem this person is touching on is systemic and crosses all fields. I went in a far more expressive and creative direction, supposedly ‘freer’, and realise now that I was basically taught that only one kind of expression was ‘approved’, everything else was looked down on and sneered at.

Re law, I have been thinking more and more that maybe it is time to get acquainted with Common Law. Because exactly as identified, law at present simply exists to support the status quo and those who already have a lot of money. The legal system as it stands makes little or no common sense – deliberately so it would seem.

4. Martha says:

My guess is that people who have had an education have exposed themselves to many different thought systems, whether they meant to or not. You go into college a fundamentalist Christian, and your roommate is a Hindu. Things can change, college is exciting. Maybe it sets up a pattern in the brain, of letting in new ideas. Of course, someone may have gone to Brigham Young, and maybe their chances of changing were less, I don’t actually know. Maybe we never unlearn how to let new ideas in and give them some consideration.

• Well Martha…

I was blessed in the Oakland Mormon Temple as a child. Yea, visible from the I80.

My mom tried to get in on the 40k (the people who knock on your door the most, messengers of Jehovah).

Then a younger brother of my dad found Jesus and he’s still as stupid–though kind and lovable–40 years later.

My parents, along with other fundamental baptists started both a church and school. My graduating class as 2. I was in the top 50%. I sang in the choir.

Went to Tennessee Temple U and almost got kicked out for being caught with a beer. It is my eternal shame that I was not caught fondling a naked woman instead.

Then, I turned 19 and the rest has been my way 35 years and counting.

• michelle says:

The LDS is a hot mess. I know: my gr-gr grandfather was Sidney Rigdon. My grandfather said old Sidney wrote the book for Smith, and that Sidney was the worst con man he knew. That’s not to say I am not a religious nut. I am, but I prefer my brand much better :)

• Ever considered thinking for yourself and raising a middle finger?

How hard can that be?

• Michelle says:

That’s how I got to be a religious nut: by thinking for myself. Not all of us are mega-church Krischanns.

5. This is a great short presentation

6. Huntress says:

My comment/question doesn’t really apply to this particular post, but since I don’t know how frequently older posts are checked, I decided to comment here.

I’ve been learning about resistant starch and recently became embarrassingly excited over the prospect that ALL of the starch contained in cold, roasted potatoes (19.2 grams out of 19.2!) is resistant according to your listing.

Sadly, it seems the total starch figure was used in place of the resistant starch figure and my hopes were dashed. =(

You may already know this and I apologize if I’m repeating it. It seems that the link to resource #11 is broken- I had to track it down myself and that is where I discovered the error.

I’m new to your blog and am enjoying it immensely!

7. Kate Berger says:

Thank whoever that this person found “enlightenment” in his 30’s. There is hope for a few out there.

8. What frustrates the piss out of me is that legislatures nationwide are full of shitheads who went through the same education and background that this person went through but never mustered the sense or decency to question it.

I don’t see how America is going to fix its gargantuan government-based problems. I don’t see how it won’t simply keep getting worse until it eventually crumbles, (not to indulge in cliché, but) just like ancient Rome.

9. I was under the minimal government libertarian point of view, in fact, I even recall arguing about anarchism eventually leading to government on your blog, “so might as well restrain it, limit it beforehand in case something worse arises.”

But my thinking over the state, at some point earlier this year, has left no doubt in my mind, that any government, is too much government. I’m ashamed to admit, that earlier this year, I actually voted (Canadian municipal election), because I thought if I didn’t vote, the socialist NDP would win the election, and rain down their higher taxes, increased minimum wage, and other plans for governing the city I currently live in. I didn’t really want to vote, but felt I had to, lest the government got even worse than what it was.

I watched one of Stefan Molyneux’s videos about voting, and had a big “I think I get it now” moment. After feeling completely ashamed of myself for voting in that election for what I felt at the time, was a necessary evil, I finally got what Richard Nikoley was talking about in terms of anarchy, in terms of voting, in terms of being a “free animal,” a free human.

It feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Sort of like when I came to the conclusion that Christianity, or any organized religion for that matter, could not possibly be telling us the truth about our origin, even when you have Christian apologists stating that “this part of the Bible is meant to be taken as figurative, not literal,” I could not hold onto my imaginary friend that I would talk to from time to time, any longer.

10. I’m going through a similar transition. I was a career soldier. My lifelong ambition was to go to war. I exceeded my own expectations, many times over, but had a moral transformation in the process. I am now back at school, trying to reinvent myself. I even took an internship (I’m 30). It’s not easy to leave begins your values, experience, and skill set, but I have to believe it will be worth it to feel like less of a hypocrite.
    In short, good for you. It’s not easy, you will question why you can’t just take the easy road like your peers, but stick with it.

11. Joshua says:

All in a day’s and decade’s work. I do take note that it’s typically the educated folks who come around easiest. Any ideas why?

I’d guess that educated and uneducated come around about the same frequency, but educated folks 1) were further “civilized” before they came around and so their turnaround is more dramatic and mentionable 2) have the tools to describe their turnaround better and 3) do more navel-gazing in general.