“Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.” — Mark Twain
Let me introduce you to Justin Blok, cali420king on Facebook. Apparently, he wishes it to be known that he’s the king of potheads in California; and since he’s in Cabo San Lucas, we’re talking the whole damn thing—from the Oregon border to the tip of Baja Sur. Pictures…well, you know how many words.
Here’s the brief history.
- Some weeks ago I put up a simple post on the Los Zacatitos Facebook Group signaling my desire to purchase a small, used ATV Quad, very specifically specifying that I wanted 2×4, not 4×4 (my neighbor had a 4×4 for sale at a good price). So Justin “420king” Blok takes it upon himself to immediately reply: “Get a 4×4. Do it right the first time.” I went off on him. I don’t take kindly to people, especially total strangers, telling me I don’t know what I want and don’t know what I’m doing. Naturally, I was the “bad guy,” especially when he persisted and I did too.
- Nonetheless, the next morning I deleted the whole thread of irrelevance and reposted the original inquiry. 420king stayed away that time. Frankly, had I ever encountered him again it would have been as though nothing ever happened. I never hold grudges and drama ought be short lived and gotten over.
- Couple of weeks later I posted some blurb about tackling the challenges I face here, like I blogged about. “Suck it up pussy,” was the comment from 420king, which I took in stride and ignored.
- I post my latest diary on the life here in Los Zacatitos which I think was pretty well received by some Zac folks. But since I write for a good chunk of my living, most derived from traffic to this blog, it’s not a fairy tale. Karen Olsen thought it ought to be, I guess: “Let’s insult all yr neighbors.” I shot back, of course. Kathy Mooney really took umbrage with that: “You, Richard Nikoley, are a royal arshole and really making a bloody mess of the ZAC group. I wish you would go away and stop being such a dick to everyone. You are rude and unkind and annoying. Everything you say is mean. Go away.” Yep, the old Spiro “Love it or leave it” Agnew schtick, just like she owns the place.
- Justin Blok goes on the attack once he sees he’s got the support of some disgruntled women. However, once I commented that I was going to post his threat of violence on this blog, the post was taken down by its female author. Justin seems to like having women back him up.
I did memorialize it here.
And so the other shoe drops, a veiled threat of violence from Justin Blok over stuff I write on the internet:
“Here is some of the best advice you are going to get. Its the Baja, be careful how you treat people. Its a big desert out there.” — Justin “cali420king” Blok
I added, once he backtracked in a comment: “Justin: it’s really too late man. It’s of record now, and you can’t un-ring the bell. You yourself have established motive and means publicly. Opportunity comes down to pesos. I don’t typically offer unsolicited advice to people, unlike you, but I may pass along a quote now and then. ‘Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.’ – Mark Twain. This will all get documented later today in a blog post at freetheanimal.com.”
Of course, that the post’s author took it down is meaningless. It’s documented here, archived at Facebook. There are plenty of witnesses. I take implied threats of murder and body disposal very seriously. All of them, every time, from anyone and context is immaterial. He said it and earned himself title of primary suspect should anything happen to me for the price of a few thousand pesos here in the wilderness.
I also memorialized this:
How utterly delicious. People of Zac have been communicating with my landlord, Judith, to complain about me. Not sure how pathetically destitute one has to be to do that, given it’s about words on the Internet. At any rate, after establishing that 1) It’s none of Judith’s business and 2) I don’t give a fuck, I did ask her point blank: “it was all women, right?” Confirmed. Par for the course and just like home.
God awful percentage of “women,” now, who want to be treated like little girls, where all the world is their daddy.
Hey girls, want my mom’s phone number? You can give her a try, but of course she’ll just tell you to fuck off.
Anyway, I’m a writer and writers write. Good ones write of all their experiences: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Here’s an example of bad and ugly, but the posts I’ve written to date about life running up to, getting to, and living in Los Zacatitos, Baja Sur, have been an enormous preponderance of the good. I have no doubt that will continue one this dustup settles.
But write about it all, I surely will do. More now than ever.