Businesslike

Well, I called Calaveras County Water District this morning to find out their intentions with respect to cutting their lock last Friday morning–when they should’ve been open for business serving their customers, but weren’t.

I was straight up with them: "You should have been open for business, I should have gone through the routine for not paying on time, and you should have restored service within a very short time. This was impossible due to your unwarranted closure, I had prior commitments, so I cut your lock."

Well, I’m happy to report that they were very businesslike about it. I’d done my research, prior, and turns out they can prosecute under Section 625 of the California Penal Code (misdemeanor offense). Instead, they charged $32 for replacement of the lock, were happy to take a credit card, and were also happy to take an additional $50 so I’d be paid up a coupla months in advance. Sold.

Alright then.

Since Covid killed my Cabo San Lucas vacation-rental business in 2021, this is my day job. I can't do it without you. Memberships are $10 monthly, $20 quarterly, or $65 annually. Two premium coffees per month. Every membership helps finance this work I do, and if you like what I do, please chip in. No grandiose pitches.

1. Spiritdancerq on December 29, 2005 at 19:35

See, things do work out. Glad to read that it came together for you.

2. prying1 on December 30, 2005 at 07:33

In my younger years I cut the lock on an electric box to turn the power back on. When they came about it I just played dumb and said there never was a lock on it.

I hope they don't happen by and read this…

3. Lute Nikoley on December 30, 2005 at 14:50

Hey, reading all these blogs is costing me a bunch here at Starbucks, in Sparks, NV.

4. steve on December 31, 2005 at 18:52

Calaveras County has a water district? Who knew! I thought everyone had a well unless you lived up the hill. I am amazed at the second signal light in Angels.

My parents tortured me by moving me there when I was 14. I've been long gone!

5. Daedalus on December 31, 2005 at 21:56

would you be bitching about it if it weren't a government entity? corporate utilities are far worse.

6. Randy on January 2, 2006 at 19:06

So glad things worked out for you. Sometimes government can be difficult to work with.