Stuffed, Grilled, Sauced Pork Loin

Here's one thing I cooked this weekend. Lets begin with the grilling (you can click on the images for the full versions).

IMG_0240

That's a pork loin on the barbie. The foil is for capturing the juices (i.e., fat) as well as for indirect heating. What you don't see, as it's obscured by meat and onion, is the four slots in each loin, wherein I have stuffed garlic cloves and fresh rosemary.

In the meantime, let's prep the sauce. In goes two (there's only one showing, but it was two eventually) cubes of my bone stock, a T each of duck fat, leaf lard, and butter.

IMG_0241

Can you take a wild guess at what I thickened it with? Of course, the fat juices from the cooked loin went in as well.

IMG_0243

How about paprika (about 2T) and a dash of cayenne?

So, here's the final result, sliced up, plattered, and sauced. You can see the garlic and rosemary if you look close.

SANY0052

For me, is was one of the more satisfying dishes I've made recently. This, salad, and some watermelon was enough. Well, not entirely. My friend's wife was away, along with mine, for the weekend and we finished off all but about four pieces of this. I believe I finished off those last four around midnight.

Since Covid killed my Cabo San Lucas vacation-rental business in 2021, this is my day job. I can't do it without you. Memberships are $10 monthly, $20 quarterly, or $65 annually. Two premium coffees per month. Every membership helps finance this work I do, and if you like what I do, please chip in. No grandiose pitches.

1. Lute Nikoley on June 1, 2009 at 16:14

Is that a preview of your Wednesday night dinner, which we will share with you. Also staying overnight for our early departure to Kentucky for Jamies HS graduation.

2. Robert C on June 1, 2009 at 17:17

Rich, Thanks for the great dinner which you feature here that I was fortunate enough to enjoy. It was one of the most satisfying meals in a long time (and I'm accustomed to eating quite well). One of the nice features of the pork loin was the pooling of the juices and fat in the foil. At some point the loin started lightly cooking in its own juices and while you can't see it from the photos, the bottom of the loin crisped up really perfectly. Pork loins/tenderloins can become dry if overcooked. This cooking method seemed to eliminate that pratfall. Thanks again.

3. Amy Wagner | Camping on June 2, 2009 at 03:04

Wow that looks awesome, another great recipe for pork thanks for sharing it with us

4. Richard Nikoley on June 1, 2009 at 16:17

Actually, that is what I have planned.

5. Richard Nikoley on June 1, 2009 at 17:21

It was my pleasure, Robert. As was the rest of the WE with the gala gone.

But let's not make a habit of it. :)

6. Anand Srivastava on June 2, 2009 at 07:39

There is an indian dish. The Dum Pukht. It is cooked on a very slow fire (rather on ambers), in an earthen pot with a dough cover to let small amount of pressure to build up, but not too high.

It does use yogurt for the tangy flavor. You could substitute with Lemon, maybe. Rest of it is Paleo or just the meat.

7. Richard Nikoley on June 2, 2009 at 06:24

What I forgot to mention is that I grilled on low, covered and kept the lid therm between 350-400 for an hour. Then I did an insta read on internal temp and it was a perfect 160.

8. Richard Nikoley on June 2, 2009 at 08:57

Sounds delish. Too bad Wikipedia didn't have a photo.

9. Yummy on June 3, 2009 at 10:09

OMG that looks so delicious! I must try it.

Thanks for your detailed recipes!