What You’re Up Against – The American Diabetes Association

If you harbor any doubt that the American Diabetes Association is the arch enemy of all diabetics everywhere, all the time and in all situations, look no further than Jay's comment to a post over on Art's subscription blog.

Friday I stopped by the local office of American Diabetes Association to pick up materials for the Tour de Cure bike ride. Participants were stopping in all day to register for the event. There were Dunkin Donuts available for anyone. There were large bags of M&Ms to be given to participants on race day. I was shocked! This is the ADA and they are giving out donuts!

Saturday was the bike ride. I road 100k. I road for fun not exercise. I went slow by biking standards I’m sure. I met a “pre-diabetic”. He looked slim by diabetes standards. I thought he a type 1 like myself. I told him about EF and my diet. When he told me that he rides his bike daily(over 100m/wk) and can’t do it without carbs I realized his pre-diabetes will likely become full blown. He is what I’d call “skinny-fat”. He is consuming large amounts of carbs to fuel long/slow exercise. His pancreas is working overtime. This is a recipe for disaster.

This is particularly annoying when you consider that on this blog and many others, and forums like Dr. Bernstein's, one can read dozens and dozens of personal stories of greatly improved type 2 diabetes, and even cures — i.e., people getting off insulin. Then there's Jenny. She'll do a type 2 diabetic more livesaving good than all the diabetes associations worldwide, combined. That's not hyperbole.

So how do we get to such an upside-down state of affairs? Well, I think part of it is the top-down, institutional, collectivist nature of modern society and its irreconcilable clash with our evolved ancestry as hunter gatherers (where every individual was of utmost importance to the small group). Now, people gain importance though other means, many of which involve a self-referential, circular system of prestige, position, favor — much of it ultimately sustained at gunpoint or prison sentences.

Setting that aside, there's also the fact that the American Diabetes Association receives millions every year from junk "food" manufactures and drug companies. Talk about incest. A perfect storm of downright fraud, presided over by Chairman of the Board, George J. Huntley, Chief Executive Officer, Larry Hausner, and their petty bands of miscreants.

The ADA, which relies mainly on donations to fund its efforts, accepted more than $23 million dollars from food manufacturers and drug companies in 2005. The charity would often license its logo to food companies for use on diet or low-sugar products in exchange for sponsorship money.

You know, referring to the quoted comment at the beginning, this is really no different that an open bar at an AA meeting.

Actually, it's worse. One could understand alcoholics having their weaknesses and falling off the wagon.

…But what if they claimed that regular drinking was necessary for alcoholics, so that they don't overdose on counseling, help, and self-control?

The ADA is a fraud because, rather than instruct diabetics on a proper diet, then having the drugs and procedures available for those who simply won't, they instead act as though donuts, candy, and other high-carbohydrate poisons are perfectly fine, even healthy. At the same time, they condemn food like meat and animal fat, leaving those susceptible to their lies with ittle to eat but the junk that's manufactured by their benefactors.

The American Diabetes Association is literally presiding over the maiming (foot amputations, blindness, morbid obesity) and early deaths (heart disease, typically) of hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions.

Since Covid killed my Cabo San Lucas vacation-rental business in 2021, this is my day job. I can't do it without you. Memberships are $10 monthly, $20 quarterly, or $65 annually. Two premium coffees per month. Every membership helps finance this work I do, and if you like what I do, please chip in. No grandiose pitches.

1. Skyler Tanner on June 3, 2009 at 10:59

Well, I think part of it is the top-down, institutional, collectivist nature of modern society and its irreconcilable clash with our evolved ancestry as hunter gatherers (where every individual was of utmost importance to the small group).

On top of the entire post being great as usual, I particularly like this part.

I did a lot of research into Type II diabetes in children when I was in college and the terrible information from the ADA turned me off from anything they had to say. And I consider my level of understanding about the subject back then to be nothing compared to what I have learned since.

2. Jake on June 3, 2009 at 11:33

What is worse, most primary care doctors use the ADA as their source for how to treat diabetes.

The diabetes forums are full of low carbers who ignore their doctors and are a lot more healthy because of it.

God help the patients who follow the doctor's ADA advice.

3. Robert M. on June 3, 2009 at 11:48

I can only hope that this is intended for type 1 diabetes patients, but in reading the link I see no distinction made…

Egad.

4. shel on June 3, 2009 at 13:23

~Richard

if you haven't read Ayn Rand or others with anti-collectivist sentiments, do yourself a favour. these would mesh well with your philosophy, i think.

good post.

5. Patrik on June 3, 2009 at 13:41

Great post as usual. Barry Groves makes the exact same point.

It is almost as if the ADA were trying to create more diabetics…….

6. Patrik on June 3, 2009 at 13:49

Off topic — but relevant to this blog:

"6. Many village and hunter-gatherer societies have a special word for "meat-hunger.""

Hhhhhhmmmm. I wonder why that would be…….

7. rachel allen on June 3, 2009 at 14:38

i worked for a big candy factory for four years (sugars and chocolates) you wouldnt believe the seriousness of the sales meetings. dead serious. im beginning to think profit is the root of most evil. not all, but most.

8. PaleoRD on June 3, 2009 at 17:17

As a former member of the ADA (American Dietetic Association, in this case), I have firsthand experience with this type of professional organization. Unfortunately, after starting out with noble intentions, they become monsters of the field who are trusted to provide the latest research and end up having a difficult time remaining an independent group that is not part of the medical-industrial complex. Every issue of the Dietetic Journal is filled with ads for Ensure, Canola oil, soy products, Alli ads, and a whole bunch of other junk products.

I guess it wouldn't be so bad if the stuff being advertised and supporting the organizations was actually healthy, but only in a perfect world

9. Guest on June 3, 2009 at 11:17

After reading this post, I decided to check out the ADA website. I thought you might appreciate this quote in the "Nutrition" section: "Starch and sugar both raise blood glucose levels so including both types in your meal plan is essential."

10. Richard Nikoley on June 3, 2009 at 13:17

Yea, but even T1s can maintain very tight control with little necessary insulin through high fat & very low carb, as Dr. Bernstein is living proof.

So while a distinction would have been somewhat better, it would still fall woefully short of what in my view is well established over tons of research and experience over many years.

11. Richard Nikoley on June 3, 2009 at 13:45

I've read it all (including newsletters and newspaper columns), going back to 1990. I'll expound, either in a follow-up comment or maybe a blog entry.

12. Richard Nikoley on June 3, 2009 at 13:51

Well, perhaps almost. Especially considering the "pre-diabetic" "diagnosis." Almost as though they don't want a potential paying customer to get away.

But it's bad enough that they offer advice designed to keep a T2 "controlled." that means: get them to create and maintain a problem by eating lots of carbs, and we'll be there with our prescriptions and the Corp donations that flow therefrom.

13. Richard Nikoley on June 3, 2009 at 17:07

Well, Skyler, my own mom developed into T2, and at the time I was my fat self with knowledge that an Atkins-type diet would be helpful. She believed the same thing and actually was quite controlled, which means her slide into having to take injections was several years in the making.

Fast forward, she's now off insulin injections and though she's still on the oral almost never has a BG reading above 100.

Chalk another up to Paleo / Primal / EVFit.

14. Richard Nikoley on June 3, 2009 at 17:10

One might imagine a parallel AA disclosure:

"Alcoholic drinks increase your need for anonymous support, 12-step programs, counseling, and donations of money and/or time for the cause…, so including moderate to heavy drinking in your lifestyle is essential."

15. Richard Nikoley on June 3, 2009 at 17:22

Rachel:

But is profit the root of evil, or force?

If I was an HG and bagged a buffalo, I'd be the richest guy of the land — for perhaps a few days. Should I not enjoy that status, and, did I not earn it?

Profit is wondrous…and uniquely human when you consider our ability to build upon it, store it, distribute it.

It is the force of institutions (the state) that perverts profit (production, really) to its own devices — pitting man against man (because, as parasites, they produce nothing (while controlling everything)).

16. Richard Nikoley on June 3, 2009 at 17:49

It's never going to be, because Paleo / Primal will always take a bit more effort and time. Manufacturers can exploit that to infinity.

I actually think that's a god ability. Just misplaced, when it come to health, nutrition, biology. Such arrogance on their part.

They are the equivalent of the mythical LSD junkie thinking he can fly.

17. Don Matesz on June 3, 2009 at 19:57

You have to read beyond the line:

"Starch and sugar both raise blood glucose levels so including both types in your meal plan is essential for our sponsors' profit margins, who either sell starch and sugar, the insulin, or the drugs you must take to control your sugar once you eat them. Don't stop eating these or we will go out of business."

Don

18. Zack F on June 4, 2009 at 06:12

I saw this sad case of ADA diet in action several years ago. The ten year old (at the time) nephew of a woman I was dating is a type 1 diabetic. He has an insulin pump installed in him. Every meal an adult would count portions of food with him based on a rough sugar count and click his pump so many times accordingly. His food often included corn, mashed potatoes, bread and even sugary desserts. He was told just to be sure to "count everything". These were not stupid people and in hind sight were no doubt just following a dietitian's orders. My ex and I have been out of contact for years but I often wonder sadly what kind of health her nephew is in.

19. man_is_obsolete on June 4, 2009 at 09:30

I know a doctor who was asked by the ADA to write an article on his success with diabetic patients. They sent him a check, and he sent them an article about 4 diabetic patients who reversed their condition (and eliminated the associated medications) with a low starch/high vegetable diet.

They called him back and said they couldn't publish the article as it was written; they asked if he could tone down the article and say that the patients only reduced their medication. They explained why: their publication was sponsored by Eli Lilly (maker of insulin). The doctor refused to change the article and returned their check.

20. Erik on June 4, 2009 at 10:36

Agreed. But what of these corporations with seemingly state-like power? It's becoming difficult to tell the difference between the two.

21. damaged justice on June 4, 2009 at 11:26

Would they have that power without the state's agents backing them up with laws, jails and guns?

22. William on June 4, 2009 at 12:39

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it is becoming clear, what the Frankfurt School, and its followers who advanced cultural Marxism did to dumb down the population, so did professorial elites who hide in their ivory towers, develop nonsense ideas about nutrition. This is not a coincidence, but a long range plan to implement totalitarianism on an unsuspecting populous.

Not only are we getting dumber, but we have become fat and apathetic; apathetic to what is happening to our once great country and culture. The so-called cure for heart disease and diabetes, is in reality the cause. Yet we continue to feed on the garbage and propaganda imposed upon us by a marriage of government, corporations, and their special interest groups. I believe this is called Fascism.

Thankfully, we have pioneers like Richard Nikoley, Mark Sisson and others who bravely steer us away from the abyss of misinformation, and lead us to the truth.

Who is John Gault? When it comes to nutrition, exercise and lifestyle, I have gone John Gault!

23. Patrik on June 4, 2009 at 15:59

@rachel allen

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. Free Markets are, at best, very, very, very imperfect — but the root of most evil, IMHO, are so-called "Good Intentions"*.

I don't eat much candy cuz I don't think it is healthy, but when I do want some, say chocolate covered marzipan, I am glad I can get it anytime I want. And if the candy company makes a profit, good for them.

No one is pretending that candy is healthy.

*"Good Intentions" aka Communism is responsible for 100 million or so deaths in the 20th Century.

24. Richard Nikoley on June 4, 2009 at 09:37

Pure evil.

25. shel on June 4, 2009 at 17:39

good lord, there are some smarties here!

i'm glad you guys don't vilify corporations (detatched from the state, of course) for being greedy. greed advances us. the most advanced societies understand private property rights, free speech and the right to protect them. these are the base of individual liberty.

here's an irreducible primary: man, as an individual within his environment (not a group. the group can be broken up into individuals). the individual has two choices: life or death. if he chooses life, he must do the things necessary to maintain it. to ensure this, greed is necessary as part of his nature. nothin' wrong with that. paleo too.

the problems come when others team up to coerce him to give up the things he's earned by working for himself and mutual trade with others. eg. state/corporation collusion.

anyway, enough waxing sophomoric. (heh)

oh yeah, as a Canadian trapped in a less than tolerable political system, let me tell the Obamatrons out there: study your constitution. it's incredible. there's no equivalent anywhere. there are unprecedented libertarian ideologies within. look what the last few administrations have done to it, and look how far Obama is taking things. Bush's Patriot Act was bad enough; if you guys take healthcare fully into the public realm, where the hell am i supposed to go if i need lifesaving medical care. ;) our waiting lists are horrendous, and Canadians rely on your system (betcha didn't know that).

sorry for the rant and hijacking the thread (and i hope i haven't caused offence).

• Con on October 25, 2020 at 21:42

Hey buddy, have you posted about Trump and how far he has taken things or are you a TRUMPETRON in 2020?

26. Candace on June 4, 2009 at 18:37

I agree that it's very hard to avoid coming to that conclusion… "they" (the overseers) do everything in their power not only to promote the exact opposite of a healthy diet, they throw as many road blocks as possible in the way of people who can see through the nonsense and want to consume whole, healthy, nutritious food. Raw milk is a perfect example; you can be fined and/or thrown in prison for buying it, selling it, or feeding it to your children.

Another thing not entirely related but sort of… I've noticed that just about every newspaper article I come across lately refers to children as "kids". I love kids mind you, but they're not human beings, they're baby goats. I refuse to refer to the flesh of my flesh as "kids"… I don't care if people think I'm going overboard; they think that about my diet already, whatever.

27. Richard Nikoley on June 4, 2009 at 12:20

Erik:

I consider the power wielded by mega-corporations a consequence of the power of the state, i.e., an institution that claims a monopoly on the use of force.

They rent out that force to the highest bidder, i.e., big business and special interests, and then all three of them engage in this ridiculous legislative and regulatory tug-o-war, creating the illusion that there are real problems and that one, two, or all three of them are necessary to solve these "problems." In reality, One, two, or all three of them created the "problems" in the first place.

At any rate, it's all a Neolithic illusion designed to increase the power of all three.

28. Jonathan on June 4, 2009 at 12:24

Absolutely scary. How many people have suffered at the hand of greed?

29. Richard Nikoley on June 4, 2009 at 18:08

None at all, Shel. Pretty decent addition to the thread. I might add that your irreducible primary is the precise basis for individual, natural rights. There is validly no other kind.

30. Jay on June 4, 2009 at 21:23

I am the Jay from Art's site. Funny you picked up on my post. I had thought of sending you this one of Hope Warshaw who has published a number of books under the ADA. I saw her and Dr. Bernstein go head to head on DLife TV a few years ago. Have a read and be amazed. http://www.diabetesmine.com/2009/05/carbohydrate-how-much-or-not-to-munch.html The "study" suggests that low carb/high saturated fat is associated with a higher A1C. ""An important study summary: “…Contrary to commonly reported dietary practices of persons with diabetes who may restrict carbohydrate intake, these results support current recommendations regarding the limitation of saturated fat intake while promoting the consumption of nutrient-dense carbohydrates, such as fruit, whole grains, and vegetables, with appropriate insulin doses as needed.”
    Now to the 2008 (current) ADA recommendations for carbohydrate of 45 – 65% of calories…"

31. Aaron Blaisdell on June 5, 2009 at 10:24

Too bad for the elitist-powers-that-be (and fortunately for us and the population) that the internet is eroding their grip on information.

32. Richard Nikoley on June 5, 2009 at 10:51

Oh, yes, and that is why I love to name names. In time, it's going to make a lot of the regurgitators of conventional "wisdom" think twice before they open their cake holes to spout out their party lines, as though they are smart, perceptive, or intelligent.

33. Diet_Drugs on September 27, 2009 at 05:20

I'll back again for sure, thanks for great article :D

34. John on May 31, 2015 at 23:28

Unfortunately the World is full of people willing to lie for their paycheck.