Delicious Creamy Faux Buttermilk

Just a quick note ’cause this is really delish and takes only a couple of minutes:

• 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 raw egg
  • 2-3 heaping tsp of Greek full fat yogurt, like FAGE
  • 2-3 pats of sweet organic butter

Make sure everything is cold from the fridge, put it all in a blender or smoothie maker and whip it all up. You’ll get a deliciously sour, creamy drink with chunks of butter suspended in it.

I’d been thinking of this for a while, and finally just made it. Absolutely fantastic.

Since Covid killed my Cabo San Lucas vacation-rental business in 2021, this is my day job. I can't do it without you. Memberships are $10 monthly, $20 quarterly, or $65 annually. Two premium coffees per month. Every membership helps finance this work I do, and if you like what I do, please chip in. No grandiose pitches.

1. Aaron Blaisdell on November 3, 2009 at 10:50

Awesome! I bet that would be great warmed on the stove and then with some rum added.

• Richard Nikoley on November 3, 2009 at 11:08

Aaron: Yea, you could do that, but heating will melt the butter. I like it chunky. In fact, Im going to try the next one with a couple of ice cubes to make the butter chunks even firmer.

2. mgood66 on November 3, 2009 at 10:54

I love Fage…it’s such a great product.

In fact, that’s become my regular breakfast…7 oz of full fat Fage, sometimes 1/2 cup wild blueberries along with. I notice you’ seem to use it relatively sparingly. Do you think I’m overdoing it?

• Aaron Blaisdell on November 3, 2009 at 10:57

Nope, you ain’t overdoing it at all. I have half a tub at a sitting every few days. I also add raw cacao nibs to mine along with the berries and the sweet-sour-bitter mixture is pure delight.

• Richard Nikoley on November 3, 2009 at 11:09

I tend to use it sparingly at any one sitting, but I often eat it a couple of times per day.

3. Bryan Rankin on November 3, 2009 at 11:35

Probably 60% of my calories the past 3 weeks have come from those 4 ingredients. So delicious. Thanks for turning me on to the Fage.

Do you discard the egg white?

4. Dexter on November 3, 2009 at 12:56

Richard,

After reading Nephropal Dr T, I purchased some Cocao Nibs from Amazon and sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of nibs on my greek yogurt. I mix it together with four tablespoons of Nativa coconut oil, 1/8 cup heavy cream, a 1/8 cup of my no sugar added home made applesauce. And in the last two days, thanks to Nephropal, I now add a heaping teaspoon of curcumin to the concoction. Blueberries or strawberries make the ideal sweetener. The ideal early morning wakeup…enough caffeine. Do not use the nibs in the evening unless you want to be up all night!
    I am going to have to try a raw egg mixed in the concoction.
    Thanks for a great, down to earth blog

http://www.nephropal.blogspot.com for Dr T.

5. Ross on November 3, 2009 at 13:44

Okay, so why is this faux buttermilk again? This sounds like the delicious real deal compared to what you can buy in the store. And I’m going to try it tonight.

Though, to strictly follow your recipe, I really need to find Fage somewhere around here. I have a Whole Foods nearby but I didn’t see it in the dairy case the last time I was there. Have to look again.

• Richard Nikoley on November 3, 2009 at 13:49

Actually, I don’t know how real buttermilk is made, but I suspect some sort or souring or fermentation is involved.

At any rate, TJ’s does have it own brand of full-fat Greek yogurt that’s pretty decent, so you might try that. It has a little less fat, but still close to 30%, as I recall.

• Ross on November 4, 2009 at 11:21

The full fat Fage is nearly impossible to find. Fage Total 0% or 2% are it for now. The TJ brand does offer more fat, but isn’t quite as high as Fage total (good enough for last night).

Anyway, so I tried the recipe using a stick blender, and it ended up being too smooth and too similar to straight cream. There was a thicker section at the top, but not really any bits of butter. Also, I want to try some spices or berries for a little flavor. I added more yogurt than was called for, but it still didn’t provide enough of a sour kick.

Finally, you’re completely right on it being a faux buttermilk. As wikipedia points out, buttermilk is one of two (or three) very different things. Traditional buttermilk is the whey left over once butter has been churned out (sounds like as much of a waste of time as skim milk). Cultured buttermilk is a thickened and soured milk (remarkably similar to yogurt or sour cream in theory). Then there’s US grocery store cultured buttermilk which starts from mass-produced cultured buttermilk (corn-based thickeners and preservatives added, natch) and then they throw in bits of butter, because that’s what you’d expect to find in “butter”milk, right?

A very interesting drink, though. I had to keep fighting off my wife. She’s pregnant, and I had to say, “raw egg!” about five times before she stopped pestering me for mine and made a slightly different one for herself.

6. Grok on November 3, 2009 at 14:40

Sounds fantastic, but I cant find anything but sugar-filled non-fat greek yogurt around here. Kefir and raw eggs are a favorite of mine.

Variations of the candida smoothie from here: http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/recipes/recipe167.php are great too!

• Richard Nikoley on November 3, 2009 at 19:59

I like the cinnamon & nutmeg idea. I often do the cocnut oil and I love the little checks. I always do mine cold, with ice.

• Grok on November 3, 2009 at 20:45

I use lots of cinnamon & pumpkin pie spice when I have it. Wonderful spices.

Cinnamon & Kefir don’t mix! Not sure why, but it taste like vomit! try at your own risk. Ha-ha

7. troglodytemignon on November 3, 2009 at 18:04

Can’t say I ever been truly jonesing for buttermilk but I like your concoction…

Being an avid cook I often encounter the buttermilk problem (meaning a recipe needs it but no one ever actually buys it) …

the usual suggested replacement in a recipe is to take 1 cup of whole milk, drop 1 tbsp or so of lemon juice in it and let stand 20 minutes at room temperature….now this is mostly used in baking, so pretty far from a paleo viewpoint but your ‘souring’ process hypothesis was on the money…

Again with the semi-off topic Q:

Anyone can suggest some cookbooks? Paleo or not, a lot of them are still useful. I’ve seen you Richard suggest Mastering the art of French Cooking (which of course i already have) – a post about that topic would be great! I’m currently shopping for some meat-centric cookbooks that’s why…

• Richard Nikoley on November 3, 2009 at 20:01

I have a great collection of awesome, classic cookbooks since I raided a used bookstore about a year ago.

As to stuff you can get, I love this one:

Also, Williams-Sonoma has a great book on all manner of sauces.

8. Aaron Blaisdell on November 3, 2009 at 19:30

Just made some right now. It’s delicious!

9. Ray Sawhill on November 4, 2009 at 07:00

Wow, that is a great recipe. And you’re right, the mini-chunks of butter floating around in there add a lot to the experience.

10. Marnee on November 4, 2009 at 08:49

You can’t get the full fat Fage at Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods anymore. Anyone else notice this?

If you can’t find full fat Fage, the Trader Joe’s Mediterranean Cheese Style Yogurt is a good substitute: high fat and pretty low carb (15 grms per container).

• Richard Nikoley on November 4, 2009 at 08:55

For my TJ’s, it just depends. Sometimes they have it, sometimes they don’t. Since it keeps long, when they have it I stock up. I’ve yet to not be able to get it at my WF.