Dr. Mehmet Oz’s 16 Healthy Tips for a “NEW YOU!” How do they stack up?

OZ

Right off the bat, I think I’m going to vomit my last meat and high animal-fat meal the next time I see a "health" article that features fruit & vegetable photos — not that there’s anything wrong with that… But why always highlight the inessential? Perhaps fruits and vegetables are good; great even, but how about some meat? It’s like zeroing in on the biceps of a Playboy centerfold. Totally unnecessary, distracting, and misses the whole point.

The implication, of course, is that MEAT = BAD. And why? Because you’re a sinner! You need to repent and atone! Your lust for flesh will be your downfall! Your craving for juicy meat is your weakness! You are weak! Be strong; choke down piles of fibrous vegetables — and don’t you dare put any FAT on them! Butter? Don’t even think about it, you worthless lump of depravity!

"Repent, sayeth the Oz!"

One of the most painful experiences for a physician is to tell patients they brought their medical problems upon themselves.

Yep, it’s your fault — not that of The Alphabets, Pharmboys, Grant Whores and MDeez — and the doc is only here to help. And just look around you to see how well it’s been working (or, just look at Oprah). So let’s examine that advice, OK?

Don’t skip meals. A morning meal rich in fiber or protein slows the passage of food through the small intestine. As a result, you feel satisfied longer and don’t start foraging for candy or soda a few hours later. Not surprisingly, those who have successfully lost weight and kept it off report consistently eating breakfast. But don’t take this as carte blanche to gorge on junk food. Doughnuts or syrupy pancakes are definitely worse than nothing at all.

And what else is worse than nothing at all? How about eating when you’re not hungry? Here’s a damn novel idea I’m sure you’ve never heard of before: 1. When hungry, eat Real Food. 2. When full, stop eating. 3. Wait until you’re hungry again; repeat indefinitely. What’s real food? Meat, eggs, animal fat, vegetables, fruits & nuts. Make sense? Bagels aren’t real food. If you must, toss the bagel and eat the full fat cream cheese.

Ditch extreme diets. People almost always fail to lose weight because they try diets that are too radical to stick with. For a lifestyle change to succeed, it must be sustainable. So instead of eliminating all foods that fit into a certain category or counting every calorie, try making changes that are less noticeable but no less significant. If you can eliminate just 100 calories from your daily intake, for example, you will lose about a pound per month. How hard is that?

Only in an upside-down world would nonsense like stuffing one’s self with fruit and other fiber all year round, never skipping meals, eating manufactured food, and tracking daily calories to an accuracy of within 100 be normal; while eating real food only, when hungry, modeling our animal heritage with a water-only fast now and then, and limiting carbohydrates to a natural low or moderate amount in accordance with our evolution be "extreme." And don’t even get me started on "juice fasts." Besides, Dr. Mike Eades already lambasted Oz for that bit of lunacy. In short, giving your kid a big glass of fruit juice is about equivalent to giving him or her a beer. In terms of impact on the liver, it could even be worse. Don’t believe me? Then believe Dr. Robert Lustig, who says that "fructose is alcohol without the buzz."

Let me be clear: anyone who claims that intermittent fasting — as nature imposes upon virtually all omnivorous wild creatures, including wild humans — is detrimental to health is either ignorant of the wealth of research as to the extreme benefits of fasting or just plain clueless. Which one fits Dr. Oz? I would go so far as to say that this obsession with never skipping meals has played a large role in America’s obesity problem. …That, and juice and other sugary drinks. Fruit juice is poison, plain and simple, almost the worst thing you can ingest. Go take a look at that chart and realize: that amount of fructose is going straight to your liver and in the quantities people are consuming, causing fatty buildup in the liver just like in alcoholics — and it’s happening to kids.

Savor every bite. So many of us agonize over what to eat, then don’t spend any time actually enjoying our meal. We wolf it down so quickly that our stomach doesn’t have a chance to tell us it’s full. In fact, new research shows that eating a meal quickly stops the release of hormones that induce feelings of fullness. So eat with awareness. Turn off the TV and put the computer to sleep. Sit down across from a friend or your spouse, have a leisurely chat, and chew at least 20 times before swallowing. Not only will you savor and appreciate each bite, but you’ll also eat a lot less.

Dumb, dumber, and dumbest. And inessential, irrelevant and beside the point. Ever seen a wild animal chow down? And they better, before it gets taken by someone bigger. And are they getting obese, diabetes, heart disease, cancer? No? And why not? Uh, maybe it’s because they’re eating the simple foods the natural environment has provided for them, and not fruit juice, cookies, candy, cake, Hot Pockets? Maybe they have to go hungry sometimes, and rather than doing what the morons suggest — developing slowed metabolisms and lethargy —  they are energized enough to actually go and expend tremendous energy, all in, to hunt and obtain food. Oh my, what would we ever do without our "experts" creating the perfect storm of metabolic havoc through their complex pronouncements, as though human beings are unique, not subject to all the basic principles observed in animals in the wild — like we just dropped out of the sky somewhere.

The stupidity and Modern Ignorance is mind numbing.

The rest of the advice is basically ok. I could nit-pick at it, but the real point is that all the rest of the advice — good as it may be — is totally and completely worthless, save perhaps taking vitamin D, which everyone absolutely must do. But the other stuff: walking, weights, sleep, avoiding stress — they’re all BS advice if you don’t have a sound foundation and a proper diet, and Oz does not ever recommend a proper diet.

And why should he? I’ll tell you why. He wants to be "America’s Top Doctor." He wants to be an expert, and to be an "expert," you’ve gotta really make it sound hard. I mean, diet and health consequences are just so damn hard. Worms have their diet and health nailed. But us humans? No, no; we’re different — dumber than worms? — and we have to have "experts" to guide us through the complex maze of getting our 5-6 "servings" of hearthealthywholegrains and legumes each day, and to — by God in heaven — keep that lustful meat eating to minimum, and most above all: banish Satan and his artercloggingsaturatedfats. Certainly, by no means is it as simple as taking a look around you, observing how animals behave in the wild, and copying them.

My God! You’d end up eating real food only — like meat, fish, fowl, prized animal fats, roots, tubers, leafy vegetables, berries, tree nuts… You’d have to "skip some meals," and your body might actually "detox" at a cellular level (Hey Oz: Google autophagy).

Worst of all, you might find that you don’t need "experts."

Since Covid killed my Cabo San Lucas vacation-rental business in 2021, this is my day job. I can't do it without you. Memberships are $10 monthly, $20 quarterly, or $65 annually. Two premium coffees per month. Every membership helps finance this work I do, and if you like what I do, please chip in. No grandiose pitches.

1. Brian on January 5, 2010 at 13:56

“If you can eliminate just 100 calories from your daily intake, for example, you will lose about a pound per month. How hard is that?”

Sounds like someone needs to do some reading up on homeostasis and setpoints.

• Grok on January 5, 2010 at 14:07

I love conspiracy, so I’m going to say it’s a subliminal message to burn “100 calories” into people brains. This way they buy more tiny 100 calorie packs of cookies, snack crackers & pretzels. ;)

You need those snacks between your 6 daily meals to keep your metabolism boosted. Someone on Eades blog I think, commented that Oz said on Larry King he carries around nuts. LMAO! Sounds like Bodybuilders and protein shakes.

• Brian on January 5, 2010 at 14:12

Wait, those 100 calorie packs are OK, aren’t they? The ones I get are “fat-free.” :D

In all seriousness, my former weight problem was a direct result of the fat-free movement. All I remember in our cupboard was Fruit Roll Ups (fat free), Twizzlers (“As Always, A Fat Free Candy”), Entemann’s fat free garbage, rice cakes, pasta, etc. Man, I wish I knew then what I know now.

• Grok on January 5, 2010 at 15:09

Mine too, all that sugar had my body an inflammetory wreck. Bad joints and bleeding out of holes (not those holes ;))

I was skinny-fat most of the time. Lots of cardio activity from motocross and running kept me thin but fat.

2. Grok on January 5, 2010 at 14:01

“Ever seen a wild animal chow down? And they better, before it gets taken by someone bigger. ”

Congrats Richard. I have never seen this anywhere! I am a fast eater and always have been. Those “biggers” were my older siblings. I literally eat like a wild cat hovering over & protecting my food. I’ve spent the last few years trying to slow down.

Truth is, I like eating fast. Food tastes better to me this way, and since I end up eating the same volume no matter what, maybe I’ll go back to packing my face like I use to. The only difference this time is that I’m putting in real food :)

• Richard Nikoley on January 5, 2010 at 14:04

“The only difference this time is that I’m putting in real food”

And that’s the only and essential difference that matter.

I’m a scarfer too, especially when it’s really good. The other day I made some chili verdi with a couple of o/e eggs on top, I made it REALLY hot & spicy and I couldn’t eat it fast enough. Hmmmmmmm…

• Grok on January 5, 2010 at 14:12

So you also get the classic line, “Slow down and enjoy it a little!” If I only had a dollar for every for every time I’d heard that… I bet I’d have like $117! Ha-ha

My response is always, “I am enjoying it!” Shit, if i wasn’t enjoying it, do you think I’d be shoveling it in?

• Grok on January 6, 2010 at 13:20

Ate the speed I wanted yesterday. Loved every minute of it! Consumed a mountain less food than usual too.

Going to ditch the CW on “eat slow” for a while and see what happens :)

• arlojeremy on January 5, 2010 at 15:10

I think I commented this to you before, but I just eat as fast as I feel like eating. Hell yeah I’m enjoying it! And I watch as I can prep, cook, eat and clean up in 20 minutes, where it’s a 2 hour ordeal for some housemates I’ve had.

Someone needs to draw a comic where some lions are hovering over their kill and the lioness is saying to her cub, “Slow down! Remember to chew 20 times before swallowing!”

We as a species tend to deny the fact that we are animals, but when we do, we seem to like to compare ourselves to “pacifist” grazers than active hunters.

• Alex Thorn on January 6, 2010 at 02:40

Do you know where that little nugget of information came from (to slow down the rate at which you eat food)? A Greek study where the participants ate ice cream! Read it here:

Now ice cream is real food isn’t it? NOT!

Fullness is to do with the stretch receptors in the stomach – the more food it holds, the more it is stretched and the greater the stimulation on the receptors. So real, solid foods that have bulk or mass will stretch the stomach no matter how fast you eat. Ice cream will quickly melt and liquefy (probably before reaching the stomach, so will not add much volume to the stomach. Have you ever let a bowlful of ice cream melt and found a little puddle of liquid in the bottom of the bowl? Ice cream is largely air!

The gut hormones they talk about (peptide YY, for one) that give the sensation of satiety are released from the gut (ileum and colon, for example) not the stomach. Solid food does not enter the gut until it has been fully churned and liquefied by the stomach (turned into chyme), which can take 1-3 hours so, again, I do not see how the speed at which you eat would have much effect on that!

Ice cream no doubt goes through the whole digestive system much faster than real, solid food so was not the best example to use in a study of this nature!

Is this the calibre of science and scientific researchers today? If you look at AGW the answer is probably yes!

3. Jimbeaux on January 5, 2010 at 14:42

I have an idea for Dr. Oz and Oprah.

Let’s put them out in the middle of nowhere and give them shelter, guns, ammo, fishing gear and trapping gear. Make sure they have the latest book club picks to occupy their idle time. Now tell them to do what comes naturally.

My guess – They will stick close to their “dietary beliefs” and forage for berries, nuts and various fruits in the wild. They will eventually get so damned sick of only eating micronutrients that they will be grabbing the guns to absolutely annihilate any breathing walking piece of wild animal flesh. They will eat like wild wolves on a freshly killed carcass. They will not care to trim the fat. Their palates and their guts will come alive. With their senses heightened and their adrenaline elevated, they will begin to trap, fish, and hunt. They will no longer find their hormones allowing them to sob and cry over the book club picks. They will become primal, quick, smart, intelligent, and thrive where it matters the most – in a survival environment.

Sadly, in all reality, they would probably be found dead out in the wild as would many of these pseudo nutritionists with MD written after their names.

• Grok on January 5, 2010 at 15:14

What a concept huh? Also one that vegans fail to grasp. Drop them in winter and it would happen almost immediately.

We could track the nutritionists from a distance and eat them after they die. By then their meat will be free of all the western diet toxins. Grass-fed nutritionists :)

• Jimbeaux on January 6, 2010 at 06:52

well thank you V – I actually laughed my arse off whilst writing.

4. John Campbell on January 5, 2010 at 15:01

For me, Dr. Oz’s diet recommendations are only the tip of the iceberg in silliness. Every show – my wife watches now and then – enumerates all the deadly risks out there for us humans. How the hell did we survive the last few million years without Dr. Oz, to say nothing of Oprah.

Yah kids, squeezing a pimple on the end of your nose can lead to a cavernous sinus infection and kill you – happens all the time. But gosh, keep drinking those fruit drinks – just slow down a little.

Mehmet, do you think that evolution and nature didn’t prepare the human race to be a fairly hardy bunch as long as we follow the conditions for which we are optimized? Nah – just keep watching the show says he – humans need my help.

Much of medical science is a Ferrari driving in the wrong direction – Mehmet is just another unquestioning driver. Time to put away the metaphor machine.

Thanks Richard for giving us the opportunity to dump on Dr. Oz – he means well I think, but time to question his axioms.

• Patrik on January 5, 2010 at 17:23

@John Campbell

Great analogy. Medical science is fancy, schmancy — but where the f*ck is it going and why?

• Travis on February 1, 2010 at 16:38

Good God man, without Oprah to lead us, the earth will spiral off its orbit into the depths of cold outer space.
      Cataclysm and extinction are imminent if we do not follow her and every expert she has on her show, especially Dr. Oz. Don’t you know that Oprah will stop the coming of the next ice age? She will singlehandedly bring the human species to its next evolutionary step with her book club alone! She alone will defeat global warming, and it will all be done in clear focus with soft lighting and a lot of pastels.

5. arlojeremy on January 5, 2010 at 15:06

In other words… “Don’t listen to your body, listen to MEEEEEEEE!!!!”

It’s unfortunate that repeating the same old mantras gets you the fame, but being a maverick (yes, I just used that word) and challenging conventional wisdom gets you lambasted.

Of course, most of the people reading these articles aren’t fully interested in changing their dietary habits. I, like you and many others, have been interested enough to do our own research and ferret out what makes sense from what does not.

6. Ed on January 5, 2010 at 15:13

Great post Richard! An off-topic aside RE your Playboy centerfold analogy–unfortunately, when a Playboy centerfold is athletic enough to have decent biceps or abs, they get smoothed over by airbrush or photoshop.

• Grok on January 5, 2010 at 15:16

..or those pages get stuck together. D’oh!

Sorry, I had to.

7. Aaron Blaisdell on January 5, 2010 at 15:25

I have the same visceral reaction to pictures of fruits and vegetables on ever “eat healthy” message–from that in my wife’s mags to the extremely useful pamphlets I get from my HMO (Kaiser P.). Where’s the pic of the big slab of meat with butter melting on top? Or the eggs and bacon photo? Loved the playboy centerfold analogy!

8. Al on January 5, 2010 at 15:47

To be fair to Oz, I’ve seen him recommend sardines and chicken liver.

9. Paleo Pete on January 5, 2010 at 15:59

richard, i love your particular animosity for Hot Pockets (always capitalized)

whenever you mention them it cracks me up.

i take it you used to eat a lot of them?

• Ed on January 5, 2010 at 16:17

Jim Gaffigan does an extended bit on Hot Pockets in his stand-up act–

• Richard Nikoley on January 6, 2010 at 08:01

Pete:

Actually no. I may have tried them once. They just strike me as about the most ridiculous “food” so they’re easy to make fun of.

10. Dr. Mehmet Oz's 16 Healthy Tips for a “NEW YOU!” How do they stack … Eating on January 5, 2010 at 16:06

[…] here to read the rest:  Dr. Mehmet Oz's 16 Healthy Tips for a “NEW YOU!” How do they stack … tags: all-things, animal-farming, animal-fat, eating, fruits, less-dominant, means-were, […]

11. kricka on January 5, 2010 at 17:34

I am not interested in bashing Dr. Oz, who was great on Opah showing us organs and making the audience go “Ewwwww!” talking about poop, but I do think he should back offa the diet advice…

As always, I very much enjoyed the ranty-ness ofyour post, while scarfing down my kalamata olives and using hard salami as the cracker to my cheese. Keep up the good work!

12. Mark on January 5, 2010 at 17:41

What a great post. Outstanding stuff.

13. JD on January 5, 2010 at 20:19

I didn’t see that much to criticize in Dr. Oz’s advice. Eat fiber and protein in the morning … what’s wrong with that? Savor and enjoy your food? Not bad advice for animals that have food available almost all the time (an unnatural situation that most of us with refrigerators find ourselves in). Ditch extreme diets … are we getting defensive here? “Paleolithic” might sound extreme, but eating grass-fed meat, nuts, fresh fruits and vegetables … it doesn’t really sound extreme when you put it that way.

Sure, it’s vanilla advice, but I don’t think it’s harmful. Processed meat slime treated with ammonia, now that’s harmful.

14. Chris Sturdy on January 5, 2010 at 21:28

Here are some shots of my dinner last night (and other forbidden goodies) that won’t make it onto this kind of a publication! I like fruit, don’t get me wrong, but I wouldn’t trade this (below) for an apple.

Maybe we need some a periodical of our own? Didn’t you post a “meat mag” a while ago?

15. Sharon on January 5, 2010 at 21:38

Another vote for being annoyed by photos of fruit & veg whenever someone writes about healthy eating!

16. Alcinda Moore on January 5, 2010 at 21:41

I have never been a fan of Dr Oz….too snotty for my liking!

One show I saw him on make me swear that if he ever walked into my room as a patient, I’d kick him out! He said that he keeps a pocketful of nuts because he eats them throughout the day when he notices he gets tired and foggy!! The man is a CARDIAC surgeon!! (or was anyway, I question if he’s still practicing). Can you imagine him getting tired and foggy in the middle of surgery?

I cringe every time I hear this eat 3 meals and 3 snacks crap. First off I have better things to do than eat 6 times a day! And second, if you eat foods that fill you up and stick with you there is NO NEED to eat every few hours!!

Give me my big egg breakfast and big meat dinner….and if I feel the need in between or before bed, then I’ll have a snack…..of nuts, or maybe a hb eggs….but something that is going to stick with me, nourish me, and improve my health!!!

17. O Primitivo on January 6, 2010 at 15:55

Healthy whole grains and fruit juice detox fasts are wonderful if you want some hypertriglyceridemia:

> http://www.ebmonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/225/3/178
    > http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/content/full/54/1/11

This blog is just getting better and better!!!

18. peterlepaysan on January 6, 2010 at 02:20

“Medical science?”
    “Military intelligence?”

Two very similar non-sequiturs.
    Sadly for similar reasons, blinkered, dogmatic unquestioning thinking.
    The military abandoned this approach a decade or so back.

The medics never will.

19. Doug McGuff, MD on January 6, 2010 at 06:08

Richard,

Love your post. Dr. Oz (an academic Cardiothoracic surgeon) is one of the medical specialists who by luck of the draw (and much lobbying by the AARP) is paid well out of proportion to his value. He has the characteristic arrogance of the the overpaid specialities (all courtesy of Medicare rates driven by AARP lobbying)- orthopedics (hip replacements), ophthalmology (cataracts), cardiology (caths and stents). These guys all make the mistake of thinking that their very specialized knowledge and high pay indicates knowledge in other areas of life.

Oprah is the ultimate proof that we don’t need experts. She has had unfettered access to them and unimpeded use of their advice. I’m sure she has a chef to prepare things exactly as Dr. Oz recommends. I am also certain that she has access to Bob Green to serve as her trainer (workout caddy). When you look at her 2009 resolution (as detailed on the cover of “O”-“How did I let this Happen?”) and then compare her to 2010, I’m not seeing a whole lotta progress here.

Peter is right about “medical science” being an oxymoron. The only thing worse than being stupid however, is being stupid and arrogant.

Doug McGuff

20. warren on January 6, 2010 at 06:51

i was trying to explain paleo to some aquaintences last night. “surely that means you eat mostly fruit, veggies and small amounts of meat once a week?” I think thats the image most people have of early humans. we just lived in a veritable produce section but meat was damn hard to find.
    dr. oz does say the occasional solid thing like sugar is as bad as ciggarettes but i think he contributes to the nutritional reletivism that dominates.
    also iknow f comes before v in the alphabet but it annoys me that the message seems to be FRUIT! and maybee a veg if you get around to it, but fruit is the SHIT!

21. Steve Cooksey on January 6, 2010 at 07:05

Fantastic post Richard… HELL YEAH! I’m mad as hell and I am not going to take it anymore!!! :)

Steve

22. John Hanson on January 6, 2010 at 07:16

It’s hard to juggle cows and pigs o_O

23. Andrew S on January 6, 2010 at 07:29

Most of his advice is crap, but we paleo people agree with him on a number of those points. In the format of “he says – we say”:

Don’t skip meals – Skip meals.
    Ditch extreme diets – Don’t eat 98% of what grocery stores sell (that’s pretty extreme!).
    Savor every bite – Eat as fast or as slow as you want.
    Become a pill popper – yes, especially for D3.
    Eat well – yes. This means “don’t cheat; pay attention to what you eat.” We’re very big on this point!
    Throw out your scale – meh?
    Go for a walk – no!
    Take control of your health – sure.
    Skip a shampoo – Richard blogged about this just recently!
    Pump some iron – yes.
    Stop rushing to work – ie, de-stress. Sure.
    Get your zzzs – yes.
    Brush and floss daily – some say yes, some say meh.
    Kick up your feet – buh? aromatherapy?
    Help someone else – is this diet advice or life advice? how bout “go put on a sweater”? or “don’t run with scissors”?
    Be fearless – sure.

The guy’s not malicious, just ignorant. He justifies his recommendations with his experience, but that experience isn’t relevant : “I see a lot of people after they’ve gotten obese and develop heart disease, so therefore I know why they got obese in the first place”? And to think that the Amish are thin because they walk… yeah, as if that’s the #1 difference between their culture and the Pima!

24. 100 Calories a Day :PaleoSnow on January 6, 2010 at 07:31

[…] few of the paleo bloggers have mentioned Dr Mehmet Oz’s new year’s guidelines. Oz is also in the Larry […]

25. Carla on January 6, 2010 at 10:13

I am so sick of Oprah and Dr Oz. Oprah is utterly incapable of losing weight but she always has her lips flapping about weight loss. She and Oz can do an indepth series on weight gain though. I listened to her BS for years and never lost any weight.

In the back of my mind I always wondered why animals weren’t fat (especially the wild ones). The just eat and eat as much as they can as fast as they can. They eat what they are supposed to eat. They run when they have to and when they don’t they rest.

I see all the fat people in the world (myself included) and wonder why we can’t do that.

I am convinced it is because carbs and junk food is what our economy is based on. If everyone stopped eating bagels, muffins etc our economy would collapse. We don’t really make anything else. So the medical establishment, idiots like Oprah Winfrey, the scientific establishment have to fall in line or lose their source of income too. So all this healthy living advice is just a way to make the lies seem like truth.

• Richard Nikoley on January 6, 2010 at 10:52

Well Carla I’m just glad the many people like yourself, who used to hang on Oprah’s ever word are coming to see it as the sham and entertainment gig it always was.

Oprah is just like the bodybuilding and fitness rags. They contradict themselves from issue to issue. First its this, then that, then another thing and the fans are ultimately the victims, going from one fruitless, unsustainable and even damaging methodology to the next.

• Andrew S on January 7, 2010 at 05:49

Carla says:
      “I am convinced it is because carbs and junk food is what our economy is based on. ”

If everyone stopped eating bagels, muffins, etc then the big agriculture conglomerates would die, but there’d be a TON more jobs available on farms. If people are eating less grain then they have to eat more meat and veggies. Raising pastured animals is much more labor-intensive than raising animals in CAFOs, and far more labor-intensive than growing grain on a giant spread.

I don’t care about the “lifestyle” of the cow before he turns into my steak except where that lifestyle affects the flavor and nutrition component of the meat. That said, I’ve really enjoyed reading books on farming in America, like Omnivore’s Dilemma, Against the Grain, and even the Vegetarian Myth. I recommend all of those books; whether you agree with their points of view or not they provide a lot of great info.

• Carla on January 7, 2010 at 15:27

Good point I guess we are clever enough to find something else to do to survive though it would involve a lot of drama. However I do care about the animals I eat. I don’t think they should be tortured, but I feel that way about all animals. Animals in the wild hunt and kill each other but they don’t torment them or drag it out for months at a time. We should be like that.

26. […] Subscribe ← Dr. Mehmet Oz’s 16 Healthy Tips for a “NEW YOU!” How do they stack up? […]