Everybody: Why Resistant Starch Has to Be Raw & Cold

We get this question all the time in comments, so here’s something to refer to next time someone says something dumb, like, “great, gonna bake brownies with potato starch next time.”

You have to take it raw. This means, stirred into any cold or warm beverage or food of your choosing. If you take it with any of the foregoing that’s fermented and let it sit for just a while, here’s what happens:

RS
NSFW: Probiotic Bacteria Fucking Resistant Starch Granules

That’s right. Most probiotics die in the stomach and small intestine giving you expensive shit. FODMAP and other fermentable fibers do their thing when they get there. Resistant starch is the only prebiotic I’m aware of that actually gives probiotics a bus ride to the colon. Speculative, but I have an idea that they might help with small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) by gradually having those bacteria attach and get taken down to the colon (where they belong) via normal bowel function. That’s why I think it’s good to take your potato starch sometimes on an empty stomach with just water.

What happens when your get bacteria get fed? Lots and lots and lots of things. You’ll have to read up.

…Anyway, you can’t cook this stuff. Think of it as microscopic popcorn. Bob’s Red Mill Potato Starch is about 80% RS, 20% water. Yet, it’s a very dry, fine powder. Well, how much moisture is in a bag of popcorn? It’s inside the kernels. Just like RS. When cooked (about 140+) it bursts. Here.

IMG 2106
Bacteria Food

But take that spoon, stir it up in 4 oz water and nuke it for a minute?

IMG 2110

You get regular, fast digesting starch. Or, hair gel, if you’re running low. Take your pick.

Alright, are we clear on all this?

1. Ozquoll on December 16, 2013 at 15:54

Are we not counting the retrograde starch in cooked and cooled stuff anymore? I loves me cold potato salad :-(

• Jess on May 15, 2016 at 11:21

Retrograde starch is still retrograde starch. This post was about purified starch powders such as plantain flour, potato starch, tapioca starch etc, which people have a tendency to want to bake with, thus defeating the purpose of using them as a a source of high levels of resistant starch.

Retrograde resistant starch is really a different substance than native resistant starch. For one thing is is more stable: in fact food chemists made retrograde starch in two way, either by cooking the starch and then cooling it at 4C (refrigerator temperature) or by cooking it and then running it through repeated heating and chilling cycles. This explains why the starch in the infamous British pasta experiment became more resistant, not less, after reheating. So if you are getting your resistant starch from retrograde starch in cooked potato, you don’t have to be limited to potato salad. You can fry up your cold, pre-cooked potatoes into hash browns, roast them as wedges, etc, and you will retain the resistant starch. However, one thing to keep in mind is that the level of resistant starch in a native state in a raw potato, for example, is much higher than the amount of resistant starch in the same potato after cooking and cooling. If you want to get a consistent and quite high dose, for whatever reason, put the potato in the blender raw or use one of the raw starch extracts. This is also true if you are trying to keep your carbohydrate intake levels low. Since most of the native resistant starch is converted into digestible starch when you cook a potato, and only a fraction of that digestible starch retrogrades back to resistant starch upon cooling, a cold cooked potato has a lot more digestible starch in it than a raw one.

• dg on December 10, 2016 at 14:34

What percentage changes back to resistant starch after heating and cooling? 10%? 90%? …..

• dg on December 10, 2016 at 14:38

To clarify, I am asking about whole potatoes. Once cooked and COOLED, does 10% revert back to RS? 80%? Seems it would be inportant to know… but can’t seem to find that info.

• Richard Nikoley on May 15, 2016 at 15:53

Spot on, Jess, on every level.

• Joe Cordoba on January 17, 2017 at 12:39

Jess wrote:
      …However, one thing to keep in mind is that the level of resistant starch in a native state in a raw potato, for example, is much higher than the amount of resistant starch in the same potato after cooking and cooling…
      -then latter in the paragraph Jess wrote-
      …a cold cooked potato has a lot more digestible starch in it than a raw one…

So which one is it? Will I will get more RS if I eat a RAW potato or will get more RS if I eat a COOKED then COOL potato?

2. TR on December 16, 2013 at 16:28

Any advantage to mixing kefir (or other probiotic) with PS and letting it sit awhile? Or just mix and down it.

3. Joe B on December 16, 2013 at 16:41

Fuck! Now you tell me (although you probably did). I’ve been mixing two heaping tablespoons in my scrambled eggs every am. Very tasty actually.

4. TR on December 16, 2013 at 16:47

Just re-read. I’ll rephrase. How long should the mix of the probiotic and PS sit?

5. Joshua on December 16, 2013 at 17:10

6. gabriella kadar on December 16, 2013 at 17:39

Ozquoll, if you check the resistant starch in cooled potatoes it doesn’t come anywhere close to RPS. That’s the point. You can eat your cold potatoes and enjoy them, but don’t expect the same results.

7. Charlie on December 16, 2013 at 17:41

You stole that container of ps out of my fridge…I know you did.

8. Richard Nikoley on December 16, 2013 at 18:02

@Ozquoll

Sure. Use ’em all you like. Hard to get more than about 10-15g. You can make up the balance to 30g with 2T of this.

@TR

Tim says it attaches immediately. I like to let it sit a few, keep gently stirring it, downing it over another some minutes. Since I don’t know for sure, precautionary principle, hit all the bases, etc.

@Joe B

Scambled eggs are probably not hot enough to destroy much of the RS. What I’d do is turn off the heat, add in a pat of butter or, the old fashioned way is you withhold about 2T worth of the egg and put that in to stop the cooking. Once that’s done, should be cool enough to add the PS. To make sure, do all the foregoing, plate it (cools even more), then measure with a therm. If under 140, you’re good. Even if not, the PS itself will cool the mixture so you might be converting some to rapid starch but certainly not all.

@Charlie

Well, you weren’t looking.

9. Richard Nikoley on December 16, 2013 at 18:32

“I’m gonna go ahead and blame you for the fact that Bobs PS has doubled in price in the last month. Fucker.”

Lessons cost money. Good ones cost a lot.

• Kelly on June 21, 2020 at 07:55

Hey Richard,

I know this is an ancient post, but a rep for Bob’s Red Mill says on their Amazon listing that ‘our potato starch is not raw as it is heated in the drying process’. I’m guessing that this ‘heating’ or ‘drying’ is different than cooking it, so that’s why it has a higher RS percentage than cooked potatoes?

It’s confusing.

10. MsMcGillicuddy on December 16, 2013 at 18:40

If we were to stock up on Bob’s PS, presumably best route is to store in the dark and cold? any estimates as how long it takes to expire?

11. Tatertot on December 17, 2013 at 10:21

@NY’er – I broke down the RS content of a plantain by factoring 54% RS by weight and then getting about 80-100g of dry matter from a dried plantain. I think a plantain will have 30-50g depending on size and ripeness.

This is where I got 54%:

12. Allan Folz on December 16, 2013 at 19:33

I like the pop corn analogy. It paints a picture that is very easy to imagine and remember.

And yeah, yeah, to all the pedants… it’s not perfect, no real-world analogy is. It’s just meant to help ‘teh normals’ remember sh*t.

13. gabriella kadar on December 16, 2013 at 19:35

MsMcGillicuddy,since RPS contains no fats it won’t go rancid. Storing it in the cold is probably not necessary. I’d think putting it in the cupboard until required is sufficient although since it’s pure white, light won’t degrade anything.

14. gabriella kadar on December 16, 2013 at 19:39

For whatever reason, the instructions on the bag of Korean potato starch instruct to mix with liquid and let it sit. I’m assuming this is because moisture will puff up the starch prior to using it to coat meat or fish prior to frying. I have not let it sit prior to consumption so I don’t know if there are any textural changes. But since there’s lots of moisture in the stomach, probably letting the starch absorb more moisture by letting it sit prior to consumption is not necessary.

It doesn’t make plain milk much thicker. It does seem to make kefir thicker though. I add a bit of water to thin it down when I mix with kefir.

15. Joshua on December 16, 2013 at 20:15

I’ll be goddamned if I’ll pay double+ for potato starch. Solution: raw potato smoothie. Not bad. Blendtec for the win.

16. NewYorker on December 16, 2013 at 20:27

I eat raw plantains all the time now. If you purée one raw plantain with a splash of cream or coconut milk, avocado, tbsp of MCT oil, tsp of honey, dash of salt and some berries (optional) then it tastes like a banana smoothie. I like to have this smoothie in the evening because it provides food for the brain and honey induces better sleep. Sometime I add a few dark chocolate sprinkles on top and it’s almost like eating Chunky Monkey ice-cream. Yum. The most delicious dinner ever. I am obsessed :)

• Kate on January 25, 2015 at 19:34

Are you still consuming raw plantain? If so, how is it going?

17. Rick on December 16, 2013 at 21:13

Hey Richard,

18. Richard Nikoley on December 16, 2013 at 21:14

@NY

I did my first test with a couple of tsp raw honey (TJ’s) last night before bed, along with 3TBS PS. Fab sleep in spite of a bit too much whiskey during afternoon and Sunday Night Football (Go 49ers!). Usually, with too much drink like that I’ll wake up with pee issues, thirst issues, or heartburn issues. Last night, nothing until like 4am when the badder had to be relieved (we’re talking minute long piss).

Too soon to know anything, but since you mentioned, figured I would. Don’t take too much stock in my single night n=1. But I’m going to try it again, regularly.

19. Richard Nikoley on December 16, 2013 at 21:32

“One thing I’m still not clear on is fried rice, why is it OK too reheat the rice?”

2 reasons. First is that RS4 (retrograde RS from cooling) is resistant to heating. Different resistant starch structure near as I can tell, not like virgin RS that’s like popcorn with a bit of moisture in the granule.

2nd, that high heat frying really doesn’t warm heat it all the way through like say nuking it does. Best way to do fried rice is as soon as they start popping, it’s done.

20. sootedninjas on December 17, 2013 at 01:57

yeaj. kefir + 2 tsp Honey was just outstanding … freaking awesome ……. forgot to do it tonight but tomorrow I’ll add 1 tsp of 100% cacao powder…… better yet drink it during breakfast with a meal of garlic fried rice, 3 eggs over easy on top and fermented dried fish with dice tomatoes and onions plus a pinch of Himalayan salt. bammmm……..

21. Koen on December 17, 2013 at 03:25

Hey Richard,

I’m from the Netherlands, and I have yet to see a potato producing company to sell unmodified potato starch here. However in the international supermarket I did find Fufu flour, containing cassava, plantain, and some potato starch. Any idea as to how much RS is in there?

• Minna on July 25, 2014 at 11:16

Hi, you can order Bob’s Red Mill potato starch from iHerb, and the shipping is USD 4! http://www.iherb.com (and no I don’t work for them and have not been paid to post sh*t, I’m just a low-carber living in Belgium). :-) In Belgium if you keep the order under €150 you don’t pay duties (just VAT, which is OK since you don’t pay taxes to the seller on the products). I always place orders to just under €150 and the VAT is always €20-22. Don’t know what the limits are for the Netherlands, however. Anyway, I hope it works out for you!

22. Mark. on December 17, 2013 at 06:15

Anyone tried Hi-Maize for resistant starch? For now I’m using potato starch but I’m curious.

23. MsMcGillicuddy on December 17, 2013 at 06:23

Thanks gabriella, appreciate it. I am thinking in 2014, there might be a run on PS, so maybe I need to stock a few more bags, lol…. I’ve previously kept items like corn starch around a long time without issue, but noticed they put expiry dates on the bottom of the packages – perhaps to keep us buying more, lol – thanks again!

24. Richard Nikoley on December 17, 2013 at 07:54

@Koen

No idea, so how about experiment and let us know. Different RS size granules are likely favored by different bacteria, so could be an excellent mix. One way to test is do 4T in water, test BG at 15m intervals over a couple of hours. If you don’t get much of a rise, then it’s mostly RS.

25. NewYorker on December 17, 2013 at 10:07

How much RS in 1 raw green plantain? Confused because Tatertot wrote in one of the recent posts that the number is 50 grams of RS. But, in the Perfect Health Diet book he is quoted saying 100 g of RS per plantain.

26. John on December 17, 2013 at 10:08

Richard,

How to video on making potato starch.

Economic viability aside, this could help people that don’t have access to potato starch from the store

It would be better if the demonstrator looked a little more…evolutionarily desirable.

Doing some quick estimations based on this video, it seems like your looking at 100 potatoes for a reasonable amount of starch if comparing to a bag of Bob’s (but at least you’ll have a year’s supply of hashbrowns).

It seems that a finer potato grind would produce greater yield.

27. John on December 17, 2013 at 10:11

Has anyone tried using potato starch to make a non-Newtonian fluid yet? If effective, it could be used for both health and entertainment! “Hey kids, check out this liquid, No wait its a solid! I better eat it before it melts!”

28. Richard Nikoley on December 17, 2013 at 10:14

I doubt it would work because it sinks to the bottom so quickly.

29. EJC on December 17, 2013 at 10:53

Tater,
    Been doin the RPS for several months now and I have not been able to get any break from the HOT putrid stench coming from my ass. I understand why you want to create the “flood” with 4 TBS on and empty stomach but do you see any down side to breaking the dose into 3 over the course of the day?? This seems to be the best way to minimize the cloud of stink that follows me.
    Thanks

30. NewYorker on December 17, 2013 at 11:02

Excellent! Thanks for the reply.

31. TempestTcup on December 17, 2013 at 11:11

About the fried rice, I saw this while I was studying to see if my rice beer contained RS or if its waste product did :)

I’m sure this study has already been cited, but here is the money quote:

“The crystallinity of retrograded amylopectin is lost following re-heating to approximately 70°C, whereas temperatures above 145°C are required to remove crystallinity of retrograded amylose. This is a temperature well above the range used for processing of starchy foods. This implies that retrograded amylose, once formed, will retain its crystallinity following re-heating of the food. ”

32. michael on December 17, 2013 at 11:33

I’m not sure if Hi-maze has been cooked or not so I can’t answer that. Everywhere I’ve seen it, it’s been more expensive than raw potato starch, so unless you already have it at home, it would be best to just go ahead and purchase the cheaper rps.

33. […] Isolated RS, Like Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch (NOT to be confused with FLOUR), has zero carbs if taken raw, because you don't digest it, your gut bugs do and if they don't, it passes right through. On average, humans can process about 60g per day. If cooked, it's about 10g carbs per TBS (per the label) of rapid digesting starch. Don't cook it unless you intend to, like for thickening a sauce (see here). […]

34. Spanish Caravan on December 19, 2013 at 16:14

I’ve tried Hi-Maize. It definitely works. Is it as effective as BRM PS? I can’t tell except that it’s very strong and I definitely benefited from it. I only tried it because my eyes dried out while on PS and Hi-Maize made my dry eyes worse. So I’m now only doing Barry Farms plantain flour. I have to say plantain flour doesn’t seem to be as strong as PS or Hi-Maize.

The only way for you to get Hi-Maize that is gluten-free is from King Arthur’s:

This supposed 5 lb. bag is not gluten-free, although commenters say they are.

You need to purchase a 50 lb. bag for it to be gluten-free.

Here’s my ranking.

1 – Mung bean starch: Strongest
    2 – BRM Potato Starh & King Arthur Hi Maize Corn Starch = Strong; Roughly Similar in strength
    3 – Barry Farm Plantain Flour = Ok but not up to par with PS or Hi-Maize

Unacceptable:
    4 – Lall’s Plantain Flour = I can smell something sweet and my blood sugar rose to 130 after 15 minutes. I don’t know what’s in here. There may be sugar or some stuff we’re not expecting. Smell it and you know it’s not pure 100% plantain flour.

• Adriana on February 1, 2014 at 16:03

@Spanish Caravan
      “5 – BRM Tapioca Starch/Flour: Weakest. Actually, we now know that this isn’t really RS2”

How do you know this?

• SecretAgent Cuttlefish on February 11, 2017 at 10:14

I just bought some mung bean starch, did you just drink this cold or did you add anything to it?

Thanks

35. Richard Nikoley on December 19, 2013 at 16:59

@Spanish – What source of mung bean do your source. I’d like to get some to round out my trifecta! Oh, and glad to know Barry Farms passes the test. I wasn’t 100% sure.

I’ve mentioned in other comments but while the dogs are pretty meh with PS mixed in their food, they seem to really like the plantain.

• Natali on June 24, 2016 at 11:35

Yep im wondering if dried mungbean flour is good to eat raw?

• Dan on June 23, 2020 at 15:06

7 years later, Bob’s Red Mill would like to correct some misinformation.

Richard stated above that ” Bob’s Red Mill Potato Starch is about 80% RS, 20% water.”

Not true, according to Tim Smith at Bob’s Red Mill. Their supplier has told them “that it is not a resistant starch. Our product file says that the process of removing the starch component from the potato eliminates any resistant starch benefits, and it is heated during the drying process, so it is not considered “raw.”

Despite this, some customers claim that it still has such properties, but that is not the info we have been given, and we don’t sell this as a supplement, so if a customer wants to use it as such, we don’t have information to support any benefits, methods of using, etc.”

So perhaps you found some benefits from the small amounts of RS, but it’s not 80% RS, and it’s not raw.

• Richard Nikoley on June 23, 2020 at 18:51

I seriously doubt they have a clue what RS is, or what level of heat for how long is required to burst the RS granules.

Anyway, Tim Steele had the stuff tested by a lab and I don’t recall the exact results but I recall there was no alarm sounded.

• Dan on July 1, 2020 at 14:13

Hey thanks for reply Richard, much appreciated.

On a similar topic — again from 7 years ago — you mentioned that your sinus issues cleared up w/AOR-3 and some other probiotics.

Two quick questions: Did the probiotics help drain and clear your sinuses, or did they dry them up?

And secondly, are you still using them today, or did you replace them with something else?

• Richard Nikoley on July 1, 2020 at 21:34

Na, don’t use any of that stuff anymore. I simply live in Thailand, remote, and eat whole food. The nearest fast food is a KFC about 20 miles away, no McD’s in hundreds of miles. Etc.

I supp D, K2, and Mag. Some whey protein sometimes. All is well.

36. Spanish Caravan on December 19, 2013 at 17:50

It’s a non-descript Korean brand from an Oriental Market here in Fort Lee. There isn’t even a brand name and it looks like private label. All it says is Mung Bean Starch. That’s why I bought it but I know it works because of how much heat it packs. 1 tbsp of that got me overheated and I had to turn on a fan to cool down.

37. gabriella kadar on December 19, 2013 at 18:17

Spanish, why would mung bean starch pack heat? What’s that about?

38. Spanish Caravan on December 19, 2013 at 21:12

Mung bean starch has more amylose than potato or corn starch. So although there is less RS2 per gram in mung bean, it seems to be stronger than PS. I took 1 tbsp and my temperature went over 99 quickly (thought not over 100). I never experienced hyperthermia with PS, plantain flour or Hi Maize.

39. Kate on December 20, 2013 at 04:47

Maybe Lall’s was made from ripe plantains. Ripening is a starch to sugar process.

40. BTW on December 21, 2013 at 15:31

How bout this 2lb bag of mung bean starch on ebay for 12 plus s&h:

41. Wenchypoo on December 21, 2013 at 04:17

I tried the unmodified potato starch in making gravy, and it only worked once on Hubby. The second time, his BG climbed about 30 points, so we aren’t doing it any more. Maybe gravy was a bad choice fof use (now that I see the COLD part of your article)?

Maybe I’ll try it in homemade ice cream or something. Starch, BTW, is what makes ice cream creamy.

42. Richard Nikoley on December 21, 2013 at 13:02

“I tried the unmodified potato starch in making gravy”

Then you gave yourself rapidly digesting starch.

“maybe”

No fucking maybe about it. You didn’t even make the slightest attempt to follow instructions.

There are nearly 50 posts on this since April, and the temperature aspect has been mentioned a million times. You have nobody to blame but yourself. And anyway, it takes like a rounded tsp to thicken gravy. I do it all the time.

Jesus.

43. gabriella kadar on December 21, 2013 at 18:49

I bought a jar of Plantain Flour yesterday just to try it out. Did not test BGs. Some other time. This stuff needed some good stirring to get it into the kefir. It’s also smoother than potato starch and has a pleasant mild flavour.

44. Spanish Caravan on December 21, 2013 at 21:21

BTW, that looks like the right one. But the only way you can be sure is if you test your BG. I would think though that the process of drying and grinding mung beans is less involved: just dry and pulverize them, I would think. I could be wrong but I don’t see why anyone would treat mung beans with heat. The only thing I’m worred about is antinutrients. I’m gonna test my BG with the 2 mung bean starches I have after taking some Garden of Life Digestive Enzymes. I’m allergic to mung bean but I wanna see if these enzymes reduce my reaction.

I also bought something called Mugwort Powder (ingredient=black beans) and Acorn Starch. Mugwort Powder probably has somewhat more RS than raw black beans, which have 18.3g per 100 grams. If I react to mung beans, I’ll react to black beans. But I’m curious what my digestive enzymes, which supposedly helps digest legumes do.

45. Spanish Caravan on December 21, 2013 at 21:37

Here’s one more n=1 experiment with Potato Starch. This time, I bought a potato starch manufactured by Hyundae Foods, which is a Korean brand. I’m trying PS to see if these digestive enzymes help reduce nightshade reaction. So along with PS, I took 2 tablets of Garden of Life Raw Enzymes for men, 1 tablet of Prescript Assist probiotic, and 1 tablet of AOR Probiotics-3, and a half cup of water.

Start: 86
    15 min: 98
    30 min: 107
    45 min: 97
    60 min: 86

What do you make of this? There seems to be a glycemic response but doesn’t rise as much as BRM Tapioca Flour. Could probiotics or enzymes raise BG? I shoulda done it without the pills. As for nightshade reaction, no, the enzymes don’t help. My eyes still dry out. But then I only started taking them 2 days ago. I’ll continue.

• Dan on April 27, 2014 at 08:16

Spanish caravan-

Could you update your progress with supplementing RS. I seem to have a sensitivity to nightshades and get the dry eyes. Are you safe with boiled / cooled potatoes as that may reduce solanine? I have pollen and grass allergy that causes cross reaction to certain plant foods (oral allergy syndrome) , so I that could also be a culprit with raw potato starch???

• SecretAgent Cuttlefish on February 11, 2017 at 13:07

If your digestive enzymes contain amylase or any other sugar or starch digesting enzyme you are screwed, it will digest the RS into fast starch, make sure your digestive enzymes are the protein digesting kind only, eg, protease, papain or bromelain

46. Spanish Caravan on December 21, 2013 at 23:14

Another n=1 BG experiment, this time with dehydrated green plantains. I bought big, ugly green plantains, skinned and sliced them lengthwise, and fan-dried them for 2 days. They harden and taste like crackers. They’re hard and there’s no moisture — actually, moisture is trapped inside; you’ll notice if you keep them in a bag or put in a container with a cover, they’ll soften. I just keep them laid out on a tray. I ate 50 grams of that, which should be equivalent to 26 grams of RS2. In parentheses are temperature.

Start: 86 (98.0)
    15 min 84 (98.4)
    30 min 99 (98.2)
    45 min 110 (98.2)
    60 min 96 (98.1)
    75 min 102 (97.9)
    90 min 101 (97.9)

Whoa! I was expecting no BG uptake but there is. Notice the glycemic response is slower than the PS, which is powder and the absorbable portion would hit the blood stream from the small intestine quicker than the plantains. So BG stays elevated longer and there is also my BG reuptake taile, typical of biphasic insulin secretion.

I was expecting them to behave like Barry Farm’s plantain flour (which may be green banana flour). These were green plantains. Could it be that some of them were yellowing, thus lowering RS content? Or is BG rise unavoidable with dried plantains? Next time, I’m gonna do an n=1 with 100 grams. That should gauge things more clearly. The temps don’t tell much.

47. NewYorker on December 26, 2013 at 18:51

If I eat a raw plantain in the morning, I get lots of flatulence in the evening. Is this normal? Wonder why it takes so long to get gassy and if that indicates a problem with digestion.

48. tatertot on December 26, 2013 at 19:37

@NY’er – It should take about 4+ hours from eating to farting. Takes that long to travel the small intestine and get fermented in the large intestine. Maybe you have slower than normal peristalsis in the small intestine.

49. Joe on January 19, 2014 at 10:56

Two questions:

1) Does heated potato starch (“popped” popcorn) form *any* resistant starch at all during a freeze/thaw cycle? Or is it toast, so to speak?

2) Say you took converted/parboiled rice, cooked it, froze it, and then placed it in a food dehydrator. Then, take that dehydrated mass and run it through a grain mill. What kind of resistant starch content would the resulting flour contain? Or, what if you took cooked/frozen converted rice, ran it through a food processor with a little water to form a paste, and then dehydrated sheets of that rice paste? Would that be a decent RS rice cracker?

50. Richard Nikoley on January 19, 2014 at 11:28

Joe:

1) Don’t think so but can’t recall why right now. Probably because in food, owing to the fibers and structure, and cooking time/method, there are degrees of how degraded and it’s still all in the same place. With RS you have a big blob of pure starch, nothing else. Have you done the two tsp mixed in a glass of water, bucked for a minute test?

2) Seems to me it would be about the same, although I don’t know how small those RS3 structures are so potentially a mill will shred them apart. food processor is probably a better bet.

51. Michael Rosenthal on January 22, 2014 at 18:10

I called Bob’s Red Mill. Their potatos in the Unmodified Potato Starch are boiled before processing. Where the hell can you get that they are anywhere near 70 percent RS? Not possible. Please let me know where you pulled your numbers.

• Richard Nikoley on January 22, 2014 at 19:37

Michael

We’ve been over this a million times. BRM is just a packager/marketer and their info is wrong. We’ve contacted the manufacturers.

It’s raw PS. We’ve moved beyond that because all you need to do is get potato flour (which IS cooked) and sort out the difference for yourself. Make your own (search youtube) and compare to BRM. BRM is 100% raw PS.

52. Rafael on February 21, 2014 at 08:43

When left in water for 2-3 minutes my potato starch does not turn into a gel, instead the starch stays sitting down in the bottom of the glass and it needs to be stirred hard to dissolve again, otherwise it’s just sitting. Does this mean this the bad modified potato starch, or is this OK?

• Janet on March 6, 2014 at 12:24

I believe it is supposed to act like that. The easiest way for me to take this stuff is to get one of those really small cooking wisks with a long handle. Dump the PS in a glass with water. I stir, drink, stir, drink and voila–my dose is done. No trouble, no cutting, no drying, no soaking, no trolling grocery stores, no pounding, no other shit that just takes up time and requires me to make recipes happen or other crap like the endless hassle some people are doing to themselves. Easy peazy. In fact, I chug my raw liver “pills” with it and get on with my life. “insert smiley emoticon face here, if I knew how to do it”. Cheers.

53. […] All of these indigenous cultures that favored meat ate their animals raw. Raw animals. Raw "animal starches". Raw starches. This all sounds very familiar. […]

54. Wendy on March 18, 2014 at 05:41

First, I made the error of mixing my BRM in hot water, like a tea .

Anyway, I have questions:

I make my own kefir from raw milk (a2 cows) and am hoping that I am getting enough probiotics from this. Should I be mixing my BRM in my kefir? Do I take my 4 TBL of BRM in the morning or – should I be splitting this up between morning and night? If I take 4 TBL of BRM, should I NOT also eat raw potato? How long before I get any results?

I would love to see an article about how to take potato starch, what foods to eat with it, lots of results from other people, etc. thanks. W

55. Amido resisente: Como consumir – Parte 1 | Zucchices on March 20, 2014 at 17:36

[…] Agora que estão todos iniciados no assunto, vamos ao que interessa: como comer isso? E de preferência de um jeito gostoso. Lembrem-se que não vale esquentar.  […]

56. Allison Filderman on April 21, 2014 at 14:58

Does anyone know if the organic potato starch from frontier herbs is modified or raw? Thank you!

57. Jessica Rollins on April 28, 2014 at 16:27

I’ve checked with Frontier on their organic potato starch and this is the response I received: “This product is modified, as this product is heated when cooked and when dried. We don’t regulate the temperatures that our suppliers use, and trust that they are using the best methods to produce a high quality product. We test every lot of every product to make sure it meets our high quality standards before we will sell it.” – So, I’m assuming it would not be a good choice to use as a source of RS.

• Katherine on June 28, 2014 at 10:55

It would still be interesting to test. After all, Bob’s Red Mill maintains their product is cooked (and thus, not resistant starch) but we know they are misinformed.

Frontier is also just selling someone else’s product under their own label. It seems reasonable that they are also mistaken.

58. Peter Borregard on May 8, 2014 at 23:05

Ciranda sells what sounds like raw organic potato (and tapioca) starch. 25 kg bags; minimum order of potato starch is 10 bags.

• Lorilyn on May 1, 2015 at 17:20

I called Ciranda today. Their organic potato starch is not heated until the drying part of the process, when it reaches above 200 degrees. Would this be as good as Bob’s unmodified, which is not organic?

• Richard Nikoley on May 1, 2015 at 17:28

What exactly reached 200 degrees? The air, the heating elements, the sunbstate.

I’ll bet if you blow dry your hair, the elements are at hundreds of degrees, the exiting air is very well above 200, and your hair is not getting singed.

This is all way beyond the scope, BTW. I am not everyone’s personal engineer.

59. Janet on June 29, 2014 at 06:05

Every bag of BRM Potato Starch I get acts the same–it goes to the bottom and stays there until I stir it. I have added whole RS foods now so I take about 2-3 T BRM in the morning and have my foods in the evening. I just have to take it for what it is and get on with my life. It looks, feels and acts like potato starch so perhaps it IS real potato starch. Ya think?

60. What in the hell CAN I eat? | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page on July 29, 2014 at 19:34

[…] use Bob's Red Mill tapioca starch as well as a substitute, but the potato starch is a bit better. Everybody: Why Resistant Starch Has to Be Raw & Cold | Free The Animal Start with 1 Tablespoon of Bob's Red Mill potato starch in cold water or cold kefir before bed. […]

61. teresa olofson on March 21, 2015 at 17:18

Warm HEllo :)

I am trying to understand how I can obtain the “Raw” Mung Bean Starch…
    I can imagine an Asian Grocery having a Raw Organic Mung Bean Starch

as I look at the list of foods u have on this site
    Mung Bean Starch has a 50 RS factor
    in your article u say its has to be Raw
    and Consumed on an empty stomach

is that right
    how can I find and trust where to purchase a Raw Mung Bean Starch

I have vaginal infections and Mark’s website says something about potato starch feeding the yeast in your small intestine
    which I have been taking the potato starch raw on an empty stomach

pretty please help!
    thanks
    tee

• Dr. Curmudgeon Gee on March 22, 2015 at 09:42

why don’t you just eat mung bean?
      i find organic nonGMO mung bean (also Azuki?) in Asian grocery stores.
      (but i soaked beans for a long time)

(they may have also mung bean powder; i’ll look next time)

i think Azuki is gentler on stomach tho.

• Natali on June 24, 2016 at 11:29

I am wondering if raw mungbean or buckweat flour are edible.. like i just made flour with my mungbeans and wondered if that is a good source of resistant starch or if it is not good to eat raw like that.. I read yu can eat raw dried mungbeans on some other link.

62. Diane on January 26, 2016 at 16:14

So if I bake a “bread” with raw, green plantains (in addition to other ingredients to form a dough), is it resistent starch when it comes out of the oven and cools? What if it is then toasted? Sorry to bother, but the plantain thing has me totally confused.

• Jess on May 14, 2016 at 17:53

No. It isn’t raw any more so it isn’t resistant starch any more. Think about a potato. A potato that is raw, like a plantain that is raw, has a lot of resistant starch. If you grate the potato and add it to a muffin batter, the potato gets cooked. The starch is no longer resistant. it has absorbed water, swelled up, become soft instead of firm. The same thing is true if you grate the raw plantain and add that to a muffin batter and cook it. The starch becomes cooked, expanded, hydrated…it is no longer resistant. Now…stay with me here…the Exact Same Thing is also true if you extract the raw starch from the potato or the plantain and add it to the muffin batter and cook it. The starch expands, becomes hydrated and creamy and easy to digest. It is no longer resistant. The short answer is if you want to take these starches as supplements, you must take them raw. Period, full stop. Don’t cook them or add them to things you are going to cook. If you want to incorporate these powdered raw starches into food you can sprinkle or stir them on or in at the end! For example, you can whisk them into your salad dressing or your mayonnaise. Otherwise just put it in a capsule or stir it into water and swallow it.

• Richard Nikoley on May 14, 2016 at 19:56

Thank you, Jess. So frustrating. A million times, now plus one.