Escaping Your Environment Changes Your Paradigm

IMG 3096

Posting the pics of myself Thursday night was an impulse encouraged by Beatrice. When she saw me after five days she kept mentioning my appearance; and not just physical, but spiritual—for lack of better word. Sure, I’d been on “vacation,” but it’s also been a working vacation centered around a business I stumbled upon developing here in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. She knew something was fundamentally up with me about 10 seconds from this snapped moment.

IMG 3053

That last wasn’t in any way posted to announce that I’ve Arrived! have all the answers, and now have the physicality and spirituality (feeling good in my own skin) to show for it. I just know I’m on the right path now. When that happens, things change fast. People notice, fast.

Beatrice put it best yesterday after a while observing me: “In San Jose you’re a caged animal.”

So, for many reasons I’ll be writing about throughout the process, we’ve decided that the dessert “island” at the south end of the Baja Peninsula is probably the right place for us to relocate, and very soon. Research and planning are already in process. I might even be hauling my trailer down here very soon, as my initial settlement. 1,500 miles.

…So if, as Bea says, I’m a caged animal up there in California—in “The Land of the Free”—then seems to me—minding what words and concepts mean—that before I do anything else, I must escape, right? If being caged and feeling trapped is my paradigm—and there’s absolutely no way to not experience the negative consequences—then haven’t I to break free as just the first order of business? I mean, come on? How do you get right with a fucking cage? How do you get right in a fucking cage where you literally want to bite out the throats of most of your fellow inhabitants because you fundamentally loath them so?

It rings true to me. I hate America and I say that in truth. I have not the slightest sliver of pride in being an American (it got ruined—cool while it lasted), and I would not care a lick if it went the way of rapid exponential decay. Ruined social experiment, with cool digs. I do not care what happens to it, nor any inhabitant of it including myself while here. I stop short of actively wishing it ill, but at the same time, I’m a fan of natural justice. It will be interesting to see what might happen when people like me—or others for vastly different reasons—flee, and spend all dollars elsewhere—even while cashing in on social security or retirement paid by current workers—and that magnifies to the hundreds of billions in time, with those who remain being taxed to make up the difference.

Get your popcorn. I could care less what happens to America. It’s only proof to me that you ought never let a bunch of Puritans get in boats.

Take your Social Security; your State, Municipal, or Federal retirement and move to someplace where you can rent a place with marble floors and an awesome view of the ocean for $800 per month. Lift a middle finger. Laf at the working stiff suckers still buying into the lie and paying your way. Laf at them. Make fun of them. Send them pics of you lounging on the deck at their expense. Spare no hubris.

I am getting my ass out of America and I’m telling you now: it’s going to be a huge trend. America fucking sucks. Too many fucktards.

Escape is now my mantra and if you escape to a better place, then things change for the better because your entire paradigm is different.

Someone asked me in comments:

Richard – Have you cut out all booze?

“No, haven’t, but being busy most of the time on productive endeavors simply gives me better things to do. Hell, funny enough, but being here on vacation, I drink less than at home. First two days here I had a total of a beer, a margarita, and a Piña colada. Last evening, and most days, are very similar.”

Someone else.

So Richard,

What have you been eating lately?

What is the food/diet of the week/month?

You see, assholes like Mark Finnegan are like Moore and Eades groupies. They’ve got to have The Diet that is Good For Everyone, forevermore (easier to sell books). Rather than experimentation and change—meaning you’re dynamic, rational, thinking, skeptical—they see it as weakness…all the while, the fraudulent, dishonest, and manipulative intransigence of Moore and Eades is a sign of strength. But anyway, I can’t really care about fucktard wankers showing up to jerk off in my comments, so…

“Basically, I try to always prefer whatever is cooked by hand from a list of real food ingredients. I eschew stuff in boxes, processed food, fast food. Bottled salad dressings. Especially, all deep fried stuff, even french fries, now. If I do opt for the fries, it’s always something like just a few bites of them, leave 2/3 of them. Probably, eating ANYTHING deep fried ought to go as the #1 don’t do it.

“Otherwise, no, don’t care much. Last night, Bea and I ate in the room here in Cabo. We shared a wonderful bowl of caldo de pollo (truly awesome) and a flank steak quesadilla with guac and fresh salsa. We split a can of Mexican coke.

“Soon, we’ll do the breakfast buffet. I’ll probably have a croissant, brie cheese, a big bowl of mixed fruit including papaya; scrambled eggs, refried beans, some potato, and a glass of either orange juice, or this cactus & celery smoothie they have.

“No doubt by the pool this afternoon, we’ll share grilled fish tacos on corn tortillas garnished with fresh red cabbage, fresh salsa, and fresh Mexixican sour cream (which is amazing and creamy not paste, BTW).”

Here’s been an example of my Fuck Low Carb and Fuck Faux paleo breakfast most days here. Not afraid of anything.

IMG 3067
Croissants, Brie, Mixed Fruit, Cactus Smoothie, Coffie, Eggs, Beans, Potatoes, Sausage, Bacon

But you may notice I don’t have either two cubes of butter or, embarrassing, untoward helpings of sausage & eggs. And then, I never ever do seconds anymore, and I always leave almost a little something of everything. It’s an ethic I’ve come to embrace because I believe I got fat because of wall-to-wall gluttonous relatives, and with rare exception. They’re just gluttons about food, always have been. Occam’s Razor. I was just taught that way. More is always better. Clean your plate. Then go back for more. Thank the cook.

All of them only liked “paleo” while it lasted because it was a magic way to still be a glutton. Occam’s Razor.

IMG 3068

Beatrice could tell you, because she’s mentioned it a lot of times over months. I’ve become super critical of taste—I especially loath over spiced and especially, salty. I will not take more than a bite or two of stuff that doesn’t please me, and if it does, only a reasonable amount and leave something.

It works better than anything and just as another commenter said, that I agree with:

Thanks in large part to your blog, I have also come full circle, and food is once again just food. This is after about four years of wandering in the desert through many different highly restricting diets (vegan, paleo, keto, “clean”, etc.). What’s hilarious to me is that I’ve started right where I began, with Brad Pilon’s “Eat Stop Eat.” The addition of resistant starch makes it that much easier to fast. And that right there is easily 98% of what I actually need to be healthy and lean. The rest is just over complication. Thanks man.

I had a sneaking suspicion way back when, and this is like 2009. What if Brad is right, and so long as you’re not a total glutton, what you eat is less important than when you just don’t eat?

Alright, I’ll have more later. Right now, I’ve been using Google Earth to absolutely be amazed at what that drive down the Baja Peninsula in my lifted Beemer with big tires is gonna be like.

Since Covid killed my Cabo San Lucas vacation-rental business in 2021, this is my day job. I can't do it without you. Memberships are $10 monthly, $20 quarterly, or $65 annually. Two premium coffees per month. Every membership helps finance this work I do, and if you like what I do, please chip in. No grandiose pitches.

1. Dan on March 28, 2015 at 22:14

My view this morning walking my blue cattle dog on the property who was waiting for me to keep walking instead of taking a photo.

2. Dan on March 28, 2015 at 22:11

Sincerely, Congratulations.

2 years ago this August I took a similar plunge. Moved to a (rental) farm to pursue what was a boyhood dream. I am 10 minutes outside of a beautiful coastal town in a region of no more than 40 000 people. It is some of the most beautiful country in Australia I am a 3 hr drive from the nations capital but feel like its a different world from where I spent the first 15 years of my adult life.

My environment change / paradigm change started by throwing it all in and moving to the Philippines. Lived there with my GF and it started a journey I have not ended. I dont think your paradigm shifting will stop with the environmental change, it sure didnt for me.

Re America, you are right. Australia is not far behind. A country created by freed slaves (convicts) used to be cool now we are in a race to the bottom. But like Harry Browne, I am free in an unfree country and if it gets too much I can get up and move with zero regrets, others look at that as failure and I laf. What matters is that for the time here I have been free. 1 month of this freedom is worth plenty more than a life of wage slavery so I am well in front. Very little bothers me that used to bother me, because like you say, there is no cage to weigh down the mind. Now I just work on what I love (farming and startups), read, grow have a great relationship and people in my life that matter.

I am even contemplating free range kids and thats something I never thought I would do.
    Best of luck and thanks for sharing.

3. Sam on March 28, 2015 at 22:14

Richard,
    refreshingly concise and straight-forward post.
    Hard to come by in paleo-sphere lately.
    Plus, you’ve stuck to the commitment to thinking, skepticism.
    Also, probably, “being busy most of the time on productive endeavors simply gives me better things to do”. Very overlooked in the addiction/depression paradigm.
    What’s changed most fundamentally between now and our paleolithic past? Hmm.
    Our biological life necessities are taken care of, without so much as lifting a finger. Boredom.
    Wasn’t allowed in many other evolutionary instances.
    Also, the level-headedness of this post is clear.
    Best,

4. Rob on March 29, 2015 at 01:08

I’m in the process of taking this plunge. Selling all the collective shite we’ve accumulated over the years and buggering off. My current cage is a medium sized shit hole of a town in the UK, after that I’ve planned as far as a road trip across america and landing somewhere, probably Berlin, in central Europe.

Everyday I’m more and more convinced that people are caged, when I tell people my plans they look at me with completely fucktarded expression on their face ‘why would you want to leave here? what about your job, your friends?’ literally go and fuck yourself. Sickens me the attitude people in my town have.

The next step I think is financial security, without this I truly think I will still be caged in some fashion. Paying rent, working for someone else etc. This may be the hardest part of the whole plan.

5. Ripken Holt on March 29, 2015 at 05:48

I must say I differ from you on the salt. I still love a crapload of salt on my food, especially Chinese food.
    I was wondering, what’s your take on wheat these days? I’ve kinda relaxed on it as of late & haven’t noticed any problems, but that’s not saying much because I can eat almost anything without noticing a difference as long as I don’t eat like a glutton. I wonder if overeating was the reason that I noticed a difference when I cut it out.
    Wheat was always the “unforgivable sin” back in my paleo days, & I kinda miss bagels & noodles.

• Richard Nikoley on March 29, 2015 at 07:31

Ripken:

Yea, the salt thing happened quite a while ago when I found there was lots of bacon I couldn’t tolerate. My dad too. On the other hand, I don’t like bland either, but I’ve gotten pretty good at adding and tasting until just right.

Same boat with wheat. Normally, it’s not even in the house. I’ll just have a roll when out at dinner, or a burger or sandwich now & then.

So, during the 7 days in Cabo, I had 4 croissants, one dinner roll, 2 pieces of fresh baguette at a steak house, and one club sandwich. Zero pasta. Normally, way more than I’d have in a typical week, but I was on vacation. Still, hardly dietary staple territory.

6. Rob Abbott on March 29, 2015 at 08:44

Great post Richard, thanks for sharing some pics with your insights. Hope you don’t mind me getting sappy on you, but I think you are finding something new that is truly nourishing to who you want to be as a human. Croissants and papaya juice aside, I think we all just need some space to actually realize what it is that nourishes us and more importantly that that list changes. I recently just made a list myself and realized, that spending time with the fucktard residents and attendings in the hospital who think because they have been treating sick people with bull shit care for years and years that they are god’s angels deserving of nice cars and big ass boats, surprisingly didn’t make the cut. But talking to a patient for 30 minutes about what its like to be human/how fucked up most of modern medicine is, and hearing that this conversation was one of the most pleasant things she had done in nearly a year, THAT made the list.

Keep doing the shit that nourishes you man, and never stop asking yourself what can be added or taken off the list. For what it’s worth, reading your fucked up blog made my list and I think it is on a lot of other people’s list too.

All the best you croissant eating mother fucker
    Rob

7. gabkad on March 29, 2015 at 15:36

What about those cute poopers of yours? Is there room for them too?

8. Harriet on March 29, 2015 at 18:05

I too left a cage – a country and culture I found stultifying – and all the worse that there was no way out by staying there. When we arrived here we had to start from scratch financially as our previous place had starved us of cash till we had nothing. Hard work, hard saving, investment and trial and error has brought us to some sense of personal peace.

However having said all that I see many of the things you talk about happening here. But worse than that is the meme cages I see people force fitting themselves into. So being free is more than moving to a freer place. Its developing and cultivating the freedom internally so that despite the provocations, the attempts at constraining social memes we can still think freely and differently from the mainstream. This is something I’m struggling with at the moment with the leftie, entitlement, whinging, blame everybody else, male bashing, white bashing, multicultural (i.e. you must never be negative about a different culture’s beliefs) dominating the media and most of my acquaintances beliefs. It can be very lonely thinking differently and I realise I am a social animal.

9. Rita on March 30, 2015 at 06:53

Richard, I am ever inspired by this post. Your healthy respect for food is a beautiful, holistic respect for your life, and – by extension – all life. I am just jealous because I wish I could realize financial freedom and bust out of my own cage. In the meantime, I’ll just have to be content with little moments of anarchy. Thank you for blogging.

10. Wenchypoo on March 30, 2015 at 08:33

A huge trend? GOING TO BE a huge trend? Where were you before the recession hit? Tons of rich people were fleeing our shores right, left, and center, tearing up their passports once they got to their destinations. Most of them went to the Cook Islands (and other equatorial countries), while others went to Europe (like THAT was a better idea!). Our former rich can today be found scattered throughout whatever countries still offer them tax havens–Cook Island being the one place Congress seems to bless, and doesn’t dare to invade…after all, they created it. Tina Turner mistakenly opted for Switzerland, which is no longer a U.S. tax haven. She even made a media spectacle of burning up her passport.

You are a little late to the party. Those of us who are still here cannot afford to leave, and/or have nowhere else to go.

• Richard Nikoley on March 30, 2015 at 08:49

Wenchy:

You’re conflating things. The rich doing what rich do to avoid taxation (but, they create a shit ton of paychecks on the flip side) has been a forever thing, way before Tina Turner, et. al.

No, I’m talking about everyday folks. Beatrice is my most recent “convert.” Normally, she’d take her CA teacher retirement and eek out a living here, where her relatively high compensation is designed for. But then, she started watching HGTV and it really struck home that she could have a 3 times nicer place, in a nice place, for 1/4 the price.

Then, she went to Cabo and began looking at R/E there. You can rent for 1/4 of what it costs here. Etc.

My point is that average folks who don’t consider themselves rich or well off even are going to come to realize that they can live in a paradise for a fraction of what they can in most places in the US. Even on just SS benefits.

11. Diane on March 30, 2015 at 13:34

I would love to change countries. I agree on your sentiments about where the US is heading. But with two little kids (and the fact we unschool) it makes the decision harder. Any country suggestions people?

• Richard Nikoley on March 30, 2015 at 14:02

Well, Dianne, Friday afternoon, Bea and I went to the “slum beach,” the place where the locals go.

We saw hundreds and hundreds of little poor brown kids.

They were all playing in the ocean, laughing, having the best time ever.

I guess none of them got the memo that they’re poor, and life is hopeless without the vaunted America.

Fun fact: the vast majority of people on Earth do NOT want to move to, live and work in America.

12. Corey on March 30, 2015 at 16:05

Richard, first let me say that I truly envy you and the road ahead of you.

My question about this kind of endeavor always revolves around the issue of a health emergency. My wife was stricken with gallstones a month ago, and I had to get her to the E/R. What happens in that case if you live in that cute little rental property you posted a picture of? Are there hospitals nearby? Can the physicians’ knowledge even be trusted (I hardly trust American doctors for that matter)? I struggle with this question even as it applies to moving to a more remote area in the U.S.

I know one shouldn’t live his life focused on the minute possibility of an emergency popping up, but I can’t get that concern out of my head. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

• Richard Nikoley on March 30, 2015 at 16:11

Corey

I can’t help but remember sitting around listening to Japanese people in the 1980s when I lived there, laughing about how when they went on holiday to America, they’d always get asked if they have TV in Japan.

The hubris of America is off the scale and unfortunately, cultural and endemic.

13. Charlie on March 30, 2015 at 16:28

Well, the day will come when the regressives will have to make cuts to their city, county, state and federal retirement ponzi schemes, and ex-pats will be a juicy target. So unless you’re prepared to move back to the regressive worker’s paradise, you’d better have some personal assets in an off shore bank you can continue to live on when that day comes.

• Richard Nikoley on March 30, 2015 at 16:57

Charlie

Zero of my personal income or assets have any reliance on a governemt check. I could draw SS when the time comes, and I just might, in order to gloat about it, that it’s being spent elsewhere.

My wife will have CA state retirement, but we have separate finances. While we share, we’re each able to get by on our own. But, if something eventually happened to her deal, I’d have it covered.

We intend to both work my Cabo-based vacation rental business, expanding it also to include full service hospitality, like all the tour and event stuff. Bea will handle that, because it would drive me crazy but she loves that silly shit. :)

• Charlie on March 31, 2015 at 06:58

My caution was meant for those already living on government retirement income, or soon will, not those like you who still have plenty of time to start or run a business abroad and build their nest egg.

I wish you and Bea all the best and look forward to your posts on your new adventure.

And, please keep us posted on your current dietary thoughts. I also like experimenting, looking for what works best for me. You just make it a lot easier to come up with new ideas…I know, I’m a parasite.

The last time I was in Cabo was 1985, stayed at the Blue Dolphin, was really amazing. But, I prefer something a little less desert-y and with a nice surf break.

14. Gordon on April 3, 2015 at 18:51

That your desire to leave the US comes in part from disgust with the Puritan bullshit is understandable given that you live in San Jose. The coast from the Bay Area to the Pacific Northwest was supposedly an attempted Puritan outpost, sort of like their second try at creating the city on the hill. In San Jose the influence of Puritanism on the local culture would be relatively strong I guess (never been there).

While the Puritans in the Federal Government mess things up for everyone, at least Puritan culture is not dominant locally throughout the entire country.

Interestingly, of the three bloggers I can think of that really have a hard time tolerating living in the US, two live in Puritan Yankeedom and one on the Puritan Left Coast.

FYI These ideas come from the book “American Nations” by Colin Woodard. Fascinating book. All the cultures of the US are f-d up in their own ways, but at least they aren’t all Puritan.