A Brand New Direction

I'm heading in a different direction with this blog.

Over the last year, you may have noticed that it's less and less about politics and its roots, and more and more about diet, fitness, and my own journey to improve myself in that regard. That includes a large dose of independent discovery, research, thinking, and experimentation.

But just as there are lots of sites already that deal in politics in all its varieties, there's plenty of sites — very good ones I often link to — that provide excellent information in the area of what I loosely refer to as "Evolutionary Fitness," which really comes down to the dietary and health implications of evolutionary biology in the main.

So what can I bring? Well, it's funny, and you may not see this, but the reason EvFit appeals to me so is that it's quite a lot like my political philosophy, i.e., individualism. But even more so, the reason I'm an individualist — aside from the fact that we are individuals and not a collective — is that I wish to live in accordance with the facts of reality and not the dictates of "authorities," and that goes for "health authorities" every bit as much as for our "masters of public policy" (arguably more, because you can't escape your biology at all, while you still can to some extent mitigate the impact of public policy on your life).

So, when I'm talking about atheism, philosophy, or politics with the edge, attitude, and downright arrogance I often do, it's really coming from exactly the same place as when I talk about EvFit, and what morons people are, in general, when it comes to their collectivized notions of diet and health. Here's another thing: while almost nobody listens to me when it comes to politics, virtually everyone listens to me when it comes to fitness. You wouldn't believe how many people email me about it, stop me in the gym, and so on. And here's another thing: once they see the logic in what I'm telling them about health, I can easily relate it to something political and they grasp the connection.

So, I'm going to transform this into a site explicitly about EvFit, with the occasional foray into politics and such, particularly when the logic of the former implies a similar logic in the latter. In terms of style, nothing is going to change, and that's what I bring. I'm not going to be your polite, always objective, furry little health blogger. There's nothing in the world wrong with that, but it's not my style. I want people to cringe. I want them to confront the fact that they'll come back time and again to read what I write, but they'd never admit it to anyone, or, God forbid, link to it.

It'll probably be fun. Comments welcome. Let me know what you think. As to the blog name, I'm undecided. I may just keep it as HonestyLog ("In Your Face Fitness"), or something else. Suggestions welcome. Thanks for stopping by.

Since Covid killed my Cabo San Lucas vacation-rental business in 2021, this is my day job. I can't do it without you. Memberships are $10 monthly, $20 quarterly, or $65 annually. Two premium coffees per month. Every membership helps finance this work I do, and if you like what I do, please chip in. No grandiose pitches.

1. Richard Nikoley on August 5, 2008 at 16:22

Not sure what he eats specifically; he's just said he follows EvFit. However, I do seem to recall somewhere that he incorporated intermittent fasting, and that's when he really began to lean out big time.

He's probably about as lean as he can get safely.

2. Richard Nikoley on August 5, 2008 at 16:40

Chris:

Yes, I've come across that before. Now that my focus is solidly there, I'll probably get to digging into it more.

3. Chris Highcock on August 5, 2008 at 12:39

Should be interesting

Have you ever looked at Keith's EvFit pages? http://www.evfit.com/

4. Bill on August 5, 2008 at 15:12

call it, the truth behind nutrition and excersise.

5. Bill on August 5, 2008 at 15:21

Hey Richard, have you ever seen or read what super Mike eats ive been looking on art's blog and cant find how or what he eats.Because that guy just keep's getting leaner and leaner.Whats his secret to that body.Because i think him and Art are not big fan's of saturated fat.

6. billy-jay on August 6, 2008 at 02:39

Rock on, Rich. I'm looking forward to cringing.

7. Richard Nikoley on August 6, 2008 at 17:14

Vendo:

I'm working it out. There's a lot to it, I want to do it right, and I might even go somewhat commercial. I have access to a star promoter, a personal friend from way back, one who became a friend after I purchased his $89 book in 1993 and turned it into a business that does $2.5-$3 million gross year after year.

8. Vendo on August 6, 2008 at 17:09

I'm looking forward to it also, Rich. I would love to see more pics of your meals.

I need to cut down on the alcohol and nicotine as well and am interested in your thoughts on that.

(coming from someone who fully agrees with your politics)

9. Richard Nikoley on August 7, 2008 at 07:15

Guys:

Well, I ended up buying two conference tickets, then Bea couldn't go last minute.

I didn't bother to go for a refund, just told Art to send me two sets of the DVDs when they came out. I joined his private blog as soon as it was up.

It's OK. It's probably worth it for at least a year, see what he does with it. His info has been such a help to me I really don't mind. In terms of quality, I'd say it's about the same as before, only a bit more quantity more often. Previously, he had no obligation and would sometimes go weeks between posts. So, probably you're going to get lots more material over the space of a year than when it was all free.

Definitely you want to consider the DVD. It's a good reference to have, and something you can loan to friends and family interested in why you're looking to great, lately.

10. fatboyslim on August 7, 2008 at 01:17

Richard, speaking of commercial blogs, can you recommend http://www.arthurdevany.com? A lot of people seem to reference him, but $49.90 a year seems like a lot pay for the privilege of listening to a cranky old economist talk about what he eats for breakfast and what he does at the gym. I'm looking for some feedback before I commit the dollars. It's not that I'm tight, I just hate paying for garbage – as I'm sure you do. http://www.marksdailyapple.com would have to be my favourite source of EF info if you're looking for some guidance on what to do on your blog.

11. Richard Nikoley on August 7, 2008 at 13:11

You are remembering correctly. I've noticed he hasn't specifically mentioned it lately, but I'm not worried. Perhaps he did a small initial run and is waiting for some initial sales to fund a larger run.

12. billy-jay on August 7, 2008 at 06:28

fatboyslim,

I'm on the fence about paying for Art's private blog, as well. I think that's because I got used to getting all of that advice for free from him. I still might pony up for it, as I'm sure it would be worth the cash, but I'm not there yet. I'll buy his book if it ever comes out, and I'm pretty close to buying the DVD set from the conference (which would be more than the blog subscription, btw).

13. Bud Bergeron on August 7, 2008 at 08:22

I don't know for sure but if you purchased his $89 book in 1993 and turned it into a business that does $2.5-$3 million gross year after year, it just seems only right that you should keep that promoter friend of yours in fine scotch and fine tobacco forever. Maybe I'm wrong here, but it just seems like the right thing to do.

14. Kyle Bennett on August 7, 2008 at 18:49

"It's enough to keep me in fine scotch and fine tobacco. Yea, both are still weaknesses of mine (which I intend to cure — as I sit here sipping)."

Then again, the whole purpose of all this is to have a better life, not just a longer one. I'm not a big scotch fan, I prefer fine tequila and some brandies, but in any case I think that depriving myself of them – and of fine cigars – might be too high a price to pay for whatever marginal benefit it would bring. YMMV of course.

I'd love to know who the friend is, and the name of that book.

15. rlkelley on August 7, 2008 at 13:06

Richard, Didn't Art say that the attendees of his seminar last May would receive a copy of the DVD as part of the deal? I've asked him about it but haven't heard back from him. Am I remembering it correctly?

16. Richard Nikoley on August 8, 2008 at 07:46

Kyle:

Absolutely. I only mean that I think I indulge too much and too often for it to be completely consistent with everything else I'm talking about. I haven't focussed in on it, because there are bigger issues.

The way I was headed was just too much of everything. Now, most of it is fixed, with a ways to go in some areas.