Sorry Blog, But I’m Living for a Living

Long story short:

1. Bro and I crossed the border in Tijuana on 6:30 am Wednesday morning. Goal was about 750 miles down the road at Loreto. We made it to Santa Rosalia, a Mexican New Orleans. Check it out.
  2. Stayed in Hotel Frances, the former French administration building for the copper mining and smelting operation, left 5 am.
  3. Got to Zac at about 3pm.
  4. I’ve driven cross country a couple of times, including in 3 days once by myself. This drive, with Dave and I trading off, at 1/3 the distance, was the most nerve wracking, exhausting drive ever in terms of the speed and intensity with which we did it (90% very narrow, 1950s style 2-lane with hundreds of semi trucks going very fast). This is an intense mind drive. You have to be 100% on your game 100% of the time. You get to see the hundreds of roadside memorials along the way for those who didn’t.
  5. Three miles from new home, my X5 Baja Buggy that I just spent 4K on for custom lift (no kits), wheels, adapters, steel wheels, kitchen sinks, etc., blew the right frot strut on a pothole.
  6. Everything being sorted, I get Internet at the home on Tuesday, maybe even a cell-phone repeater…right now scrounging from Zac’s in exchange for a drink and dinner.
  7. I’ve managed two ocean swims in the last 24 hours. That will be a habit.

I fucking feel more alive than I have in years. I quite enjoy having some problems to solve. Reminded me of having my ‘Vette break down 40 miles from home in Toulon, France, after I drove it from where it came in to port in Rotterdam. Got it sorted.

…Running low on water…another problem to sort. Next week, a Mexican guy is going to truck out 10,000 liters over 12 miles of dirt road for $65, to fill my two 5,000 liter, cross-connected tanks.

I love this world! Lots lots more later, including the story of no gas stations in 340 KM, and we missed the memo.

In the meantime, find a way to fucking love your life. Really, really love it!

Memberships are $10 monthly, $20 quarterly, or $65 annually. The cost of two premium coffees per month. Every membership helps finance the travel to write, photo, and film from interesting places and share the experiences with you.

1. Steve on May 30, 2015 at 08:01

I love reading this, it brings back good memories. I left the States for Costa Rica when I was 26. I’m 37 now and I still love living here. It has its’ ups and downs, but in the end, it’s just awesome.

You’ll meet great people; people that you’ll have a lot in common with. Some people will bitch and moan every chance they get about, well, everything. Other people are just as happy and content as can be. You’re in the honeymoon phase now, which will last several years. You’ll laugh at all the suckers back home that are still slaving away, living for Happy Hour and the weekends. All the while, you’re relaxing in your hammock with a good book and a cold beer.

• Greg on May 31, 2015 at 08:14

Thats me to the T, “living for Happy Hour and the weekends”, and vacation. How hard / easy is it to get a job in CR?

• MissMcGillicuddy on May 31, 2015 at 08:42

Some of my patients are reformed smokers. I gently remind them they were once smokers too ;)

They’re free when comparisons rarely come to mind.

2. Richard Nikoley on May 30, 2015 at 09:32

“You’ll meet great people; people that you’ll have a lot in common with”

They say that out here in Los Zacatitos, the expat off-grid community where I live, we’re 500 black sheep.

What’s cool is that everyone is also a slightly different shade of black. :)

3. gabkad on May 30, 2015 at 12:31

Had to look up Google maps for Los Zacatitos. Hell of a drive for sure. Hope you got the car fixed. Black sheep, eh? LOL! baaaa.

4. luc on May 31, 2015 at 06:44

Off topic – a different perspective on the nutrition discussions:

• gabkad on May 31, 2015 at 13:57

Thanks luc. Excellent essay and all true. All the crazy diet shit going on these days is a symptom of excess. Too much choice. So people use food as a way to define themselves since religion is somewhat passe.

5. Peter on May 31, 2015 at 11:21

I wish you the best of luck in your new life. That being said, I can’t help but mention that good highways are one of the things the “oppressive” government you have fled provides with some of that tax money. Maybe some entrepreneur will build a nice toll road down there.

• MissMcGillicuddy on May 31, 2015 at 15:05

I have a fair amount of experience and knowledge about life on the other side of the border and it’s like everything else – advantages and disadvantages.
      Fewer laws/less regulation/less government intrusion = more individual freedom. but there’s always price – less protection from those who might want to harm you, annoy you, steal from you (from all angles, not just the ones that automatically come to mind) . It’s all fun and games until there’s no recourse…so you cross your fingers and throw back another cerveza. Latin America’s a great place to live and hang out as long as nobody thinks you have anything to lose.

• Richard Nikoley on May 31, 2015 at 17:32

Peter, let me explain why I shit on your comment.

The idea of living at the convenience of money stolen from others, used in ways I’ve cleverly found groups to stand with so we can all justify theft is abhorrent to me, and has been for a long time.

Shit, down here nobody even pays attention to stoplights or ALTO, or even 4 ALTOS. They don’t even stop if there’s no one to stop for. In many ways, they are far less sheep dumb, and I’m finding the grove.

Much more, but I’m feeling a pearls/swine moment so you just go relax.

I’ll take my chances and feel really alive.

• Richard Nikoley on May 31, 2015 at 18:05

There is zero racism in psychopathy and every country has dirt poor people who wouldn’t harm a soul and those who would. Frankly, the excuse that they broke in and stole because they’re dirt poor is an affront and insult to the vast majority who never would.

I see you still buy into the illusion, as if paying taxes and voting keeps you safe and secure (perhaps in your mind). Sheep feel safe and secure when crowded together.

Why?