Pop Quiz

Well, if this doesn’t bolster my bald and unequivocal assertion that the "majority" in virtually any vote can usually be counted on to be a bunch of damned morons, well, then, I don’t know what would.

So, go ahead here and vote.

(Tip: Hit & Run)

Since Covid killed my Cabo San Lucas vacation-rental business in 2021, this is my day job. I can't do it without you. Memberships are $10 monthly, $20 quarterly, or $65 annually. Two premium coffees per month. Every membership helps finance this work I do, and if you like what I do, please chip in. No grandiose pitches.

1. Kyle Bennett on January 30, 2006 at 16:39

Somebody asks "are you an idiot?", and 97% of people respond YES. I honestly didn't think it was as bad as 97%, but then again, it is MSNBC.

Plus, you have to figure that some of those 3% of those who answered "no, that's how the market works" would follow up with something to the effect that that is why we have to "fix" that damned evil market.

2. Kyle Bennett on January 30, 2006 at 20:51

Oops, I got the percentages reversed on the last two answers. Only 94% admitted to being idiots.

3. Lute Nikoley on January 30, 2006 at 16:40

Yea, I voted with the 6% crowd. Wow, If oil companies are making such widfall profits, why aren't we all investing in oil and getting filthy rich like the oil companies? Hey, Richard, how about putting a spell check with this blog.

4. mandrill on January 31, 2006 at 09:39

Do the majority not understand the principle of supply and demand? If supplies are running low (which they are) or are more expensive to manufacture/harvest (which they also are) then prices are going to go up as long as the demand for the product outstrips the supply.
    Easy way out of this bind; don't buy anything made with oil (easier said than done).
    I'm just going to sit back and watch the show when civilisation collapses since there's no stopping it now.

5. Rich on January 31, 2006 at 09:54

But that's not the point, Jill. The point is that if you think the oil companies are "gouging 'consumers,'" you're a moron.

Well, are you or aren't you?

6. Kyle Bennett on January 31, 2006 at 11:12

You're also a moron if your "not sure", not because you're unsure about the principle, but because you don't know how to determine the price that would constitute gouging.

7. Alex Goins on January 31, 2006 at 13:29

Lol, you are going to get beat up someday. Great blog. Come see mine

8. Kyle Bennett on January 31, 2006 at 14:20

Michael,

What exactly is there to "wake up" to? And why should we want to prevent the oil companies from making record profits?

I hear a lot of implication whenever somebody brings up ideas like that, but never any concrete arguments. Would you care to express them explicitly, or would that make it too obvious how asinine they are?

9. jill on January 31, 2006 at 09:46

Yeah… and then anyone who has studied statistics will tell you they can mannipulate anything. Hum.

10. Michael on January 31, 2006 at 12:06

mandrill hit it right on the head!

The US especially has proven that the sky is the limit for oil prices? Why? Let's think, prices are sky rocketing and we are still buying SUVs. People are still making long drives for ranging reasons such as "I'm still afraid to fly…"

Until we all wake up they will continue to make record profits! Welcome to a free market!

11. Billy Beck on January 31, 2006 at 21:35

Y'all think they're morons over at the MSNBC poll?

Don't look now, ladies & gentlemen, but Thomas Friedman's head is flat.

It's just another day at The Endarkenment.

Keep moving along, citizens.

12. Lute Nikoley on February 1, 2006 at 10:26

Record revenues should always produce record profits when the margin of profit remains the same. Geez, that's a really difficult concept to understand. It seems people like to buy Exxon/Mobil's products, otherwise,if they didn't, Chevron or Shell or BP would be lambasted for those immoral profits.