Alright, Now I Have to Work Out a Proper Paleoish Shit on a Shingle

This is my increasingly common first meal of the day, nowadays—10am-1pm, typically, in terms of timing (i.e., when I actually get hungry). Sorry, I just hardly ever eat bacon, anymore. Tastes like I’m eating a block of salt, to me. But, Go paleo!!!; bacon, the exclusive favorite food of the brand.

IMG 1969
Pretty Simple

If you prep them properly, beans can be quite amazing. After a 24-36 hour soak, drain, rinse; and then, where I plop the beans into the pot: sprinkle them with garlic powder to lightly cover, then desiccated onion flakes to lightly cover, then salt & pepper, and cover them in beef stock (or, chicken, if that’s all you have). I bring them to a boil, reduce to low and cover (I don’t want to add any water). It’s usually an hour or two, and you have glorious tender beans in a thick sauce. After the obligatory tasting and seasoning adjustments, into the fridge they go for a day, in order to form retrograde resistant starch. I often eat them cold or, just a 20-second nuking.

But, I still like to create unusual things from what I have, or what I happen to be into at the moment. So here it was just this morning, over 10am pro football.

IMG 1971
Dry gluten free toast, a “fried-poached egg”

To do a “fried-poached egg,” you get your skillet hot, and when hot, add your pat of butter and as it’s melting down, add your egg right on the top. Immediately—and I mean: Immediately—add 1-2 ounces of water and cover just as immediately, preferably with a glass lid if you have one. It’s like a minute. Turn off the heat, and you’re done.

Then, add whatever shit you’re going to add.

IMG 1972
Some beans, a little red and green hot sauce

But, no matter what shit you add, at least get to do this.

IMG 1973
Fatty, Highly Nutritious, Warm, Egg Yolk Sauce

In time, I will be blogging more about beans. Taters were one thing. The satiation, nutrition, and versatility of properly prepared beans are quite another.

So is the blood glucose readings.

…Oh, yea, about the title. Almost forgot. Took a while, but I warmed up to and then embraced “chip beef on toast” as a kid. This is basically crappy, rejected beef puree, formed into a loaf, sliced thin with lots of spices. Then it’s added to a Mark 1, Mod A shit “Southern” gravy made with fat drippings, flour (they call it a “roux”) and milk.

Plop it on toast.

In the military, they can’t even go out of their way to get bad pureed beef that’s been loafed and sliced up, they just use ground beef and call it “shit on a shingle.”

So, I’m going to work out a gourmet version with gluten free toast and it will be awesome.

Memberships are $10 monthly, $20 quarterly, or $65 annually. The cost of two premium coffees per month. Every membership helps finance the travel to write, photo, and film from interesting places and share the experiences with you.

1. Cathy on October 6, 2013 at 15:44

looks good! looking forward to more info/articles about beans. truly overlooked in the paleo/primal realm.

2. tatertot on October 6, 2013 at 15:53

What kind of beans are those in the pictures? Look great. I never thought about cooking them in beef broth.

3. Richard Nikoley on October 6, 2013 at 16:11

TT

Those are pintos and I’m partial to pintos because my wife literally grew up on them and her parents are in their 80s and vibrant. There is never a time when pintos aren’t either in the fridge or on the stove and almost all breakfasts in their household include refried pinto beans.

Paleo is one thing but seeing people thrive on them over whole lifespans is quite another.

You want to know who gave me the beef stock tip? My hottest young “girlfriend” (in the classic sense), Darya Pino, PhDork and author of Summer Tomato bog and Foodist, the book.

Yea, yea, she’s now the husband of Digg founder Kevin Rose, but you know what? We’ve never talked about any of that, what it might portend. I commented once on her blog and after a few exchanges, I’m dude, she’s chick. She’s cool.

See this:

4. marie on October 6, 2013 at 16:55

Interesting how so many cultures have cold bean dishes or their traditional prep makes large batches that are kept cool and added throughout the week to hot dishes.
    Black-eyed ‘peas’ make a great cold salad, with olive oil, vinegar, oregano, garlic and onions.
    Classic greek fare, most homes stock it in fridge or in cold cellars in the villages – a staple.
    This one gives RS plus inulin simultaneously, apart from all the other goodness.

I’ve always marveled though at other cultures’ penchant for eggs with beans.
    See, where I come from, they tell you Not to ever mix the two “because of the noise” ;)

5. tatertot on October 6, 2013 at 17:15

I really like pintos, too. In the last couple months I’ve tried black beans, small red beans, great northern beans, kidney beans, and lentils, but I can say I like the size, taste, and texture of pintos best.

Beans are a cheap source of protein for many. Unfortunately people relying on cheap beans for protein also eat lots of cheap sugar, flour, and vegetable oil. Beans in my life (up until recently) were always canned and covered in a sugary sauce, or maybe sprinkled lightly on a salad. When I learned they were ‘not paleo’ it didn’t bother me at all. Well, they may not be ‘paleo’, but now I think they are a very good real food we should be eating regularly.

6. Richard Nikoley on October 6, 2013 at 17:26

@marie

Wow, I hate to read that. I hate thinking of Greeks as fucking stupid. Kills me every time, given the history. Yep, some fat, protein and complete reptile nutrition is gonna make you fart more.

Please don’t buy into myths that make stupid Greeks ruin it for the history.

I’m begging you.

7. marie on October 6, 2013 at 17:29

Oh for crying out loud, lots of people fart with eggs, lots also fart with beans (especially if they didn’t soak them first). It’s no big deal.
    Now go drink some kefir and fix your mood.

8. Darya Rose on October 6, 2013 at 17:31

Beans are the bomb.

9. Richard Nikoley on October 6, 2013 at 17:52

Don’t get pissy with me, Marie.:)

10. marie on October 6, 2013 at 18:10

Ha. Don’t get oxymoronic with me Richard, “stupid Greeks” indeed … :D

11. Richard Nikoley on October 6, 2013 at 18:29

Bisou, good sport.

12. marie on October 6, 2013 at 18:44

petit malin ;)

13. Phocion T on October 6, 2013 at 19:34

I keep intending to try the following but I always forget…

Many years ago a woman swore on the proverbial stack of bibles that a carrot or two, cooked with the pinto beans, will kill the music. She then warned that eating the carrot(s) will create an entire symphony of bean music.

Anyone familiar with this?

14. Richard Nikoley on October 6, 2013 at 19:41

Gros petit, or petit gros malin, to you. Either way,

15. Richard Nikoley on October 6, 2013 at 19:43

Je’m’excuse. ‘0u’

16. marie on October 6, 2013 at 19:49

Bien sûr :)

17. LeonRover on October 7, 2013 at 11:38

Hmmm,

“because of the noise” ? – don’t you mean the rich odour of H2S, mingling with the almost forgotten perfume of maturing straw-laden cow manure, prior to being cast upon the loamy tilth freshly turned by the plough, making eructations devoutly to be wished ?

Did not Madame de Pompadour herself, no less, put these words into the mouth of Louis XV: “Après moi, l’eructation” ?

“Eructation of unhealthy souls Into the faded air”.
    They are all at it.

BUT, thiz be be’ ‘er – “C’mon feel the Noize”

Sláinte

18. Spanish Caravan on October 6, 2013 at 21:55

Excellent, Richard. I’m trying to incorporate some real food RS into my diet. I put some white beans into my ox tail bone broth today and they’re terrific! I went out and bought some Goya black, red and Navy beans today, the 3 with the highest RS content (talk about an early adopter!). Btw, when you soak for 24-48 hours, you see the bubbles form which is fermentation, I reckon. If that’s all l. bacillus, should we even rinse before simmering 1-2 hours? Maybe boil in the same water? Don’t want to throw away anything valuable that wil result in l. bacillus.

19. La Frite on October 7, 2013 at 01:56

Funny that! Today, I am taking some time off and I decided to eat a late breakfast (I usually don’t): 3 fried eggs, butter beans and kidney beans re-fried in … bacon grease! I had 2 slices of bacon on top of the beans and eggs, haha! I salute you for avoiding da bacon :D
    I also had a green banana after that by the way.

20. Amancay on October 7, 2013 at 06:04

Spanish Caravan:

All seeds , grains, beans , nuts and legumes contain phytic acid that stops or hold the enzymatic spark of life that ensures that they will germinate so that the life force is released. By exposure to water, the conditions for this is right and the phytic acid is leaking away in the water. So throw the water away in which you have soaked! Phytic acid inhibits and blocks minerals and enzymes, while making it sit in the diet but are not available for your body.

The phytic acid in the water is a problem and that water must therefore be discarded. Goitrogens, however, are consumed by the lactic acid bacteria. Phytic acid is not consumed, but is released into the water. The phytic acid has fulfilled its function and now the phosphorus ( spark of life ) is released. The phytic acid disappears from seeds / nuts / beans / grains / seeds / legumes in the water. For this reason you should not drink the water, or cook in the water. Cook in clean new water.

Phytates are difficult to break for people.

Good intestinal flora must be in order to digest phytates.

21. tatertot on October 7, 2013 at 08:21

@Amancay and Spanish Caravan – Another use for the water is as a ‘starter culture’ for your next batch of beans. Either pour it directly on your next batch or save a cup of it in a jar in the fridge for when you start a new batch. I always cringe when I see people say to rinse the beans several times throughout the soaking process–this is common folk wisdom, and the way ‘Mom’ did it, but definitely not the best way to get a good fermentation. The pH of the water gradually changes to favor growth of lactobacillus, changing the water hampers this process.

It is possible that a batch of beans has some microbes that outgrow the lacto microbes. This is called a ‘failed batch’. If it starts to bubble over and smells like total ass, it’s OK to rinse well or even throw away. I’ve never had that happen in my very short time playing with beans–more likely is it looks like nothing is happening, very few bubbles–no change in smell. Not sure what’s going on there. Maybe the beans were too clean to start fermenting. In this case, adding the starter culture from a previous batch should get things going.

22. Spanish Caravan on October 7, 2013 at 10:11

I’m still a lil confused. So you should rinse after the soak? Rinse meaning change the water and clean a little bit? Only save the soak water for the next batch. But throw out the remaining soak water, change water, and put in new water before boiling?

I wanna get the best bang for each gram of RS. Looks like there is more to the nitty gritty than meets the eye here!

23. CatherineakaCate on October 7, 2013 at 10:17

That looks like FEMA Camp food. (agree about bacon though)

24. Richard Nikoley on October 7, 2013 at 11:33

Guess what, Cate?

I bet you can’t guess the depths of how little I care about what you think.

25. BigRob on October 7, 2013 at 11:43

Eggs and beans are classic.

This southern boy loves white beans prepared pretty much the way you do your pintos. Once you get a bowl of beans load it up with raw vidalia onions, pickled green tomatoes, and some sour relish. Mmmm.

26. tatertot on October 7, 2013 at 11:45

@Spanish Caravan – I think you got it right. No sense cooking with the water you fermented it in, all the microbes will be destroyed in the boiling water anyway. I’m going to start doing like Richard mentioned above–cooking the soaked beans in broth. I usually make a batch of bone broth every couple weeks and sometimes have a hard time figuring what to do with it as it sits in the fridge. I have been using it to cook rice, why not beans? Sounds awesome.

27. LeonRover on October 7, 2013 at 13:05

Rich,

Yes, “EggYolk Sauce”, the MOST superb part of gourmand egginess.

This is why I learned:

how to soft boil eggs (4.5 mins in boiling water)

how to fry eggs by scooping hot bacon fat over them, or by using a lid.

I have never managed to poach an egg to my own satisfaction – but the fried-poached egg is new to me. I’m gonna try it!

I do like Rich’s Cooking Style: a little of this, a little of that; if you don’t have fresh, use dried.

Suck it & fucking see: it’s the famous Kruise (n minus one) method. Brilliant.
    (Great minds think alike, but . . . .)

Beans. Have always liked them, and when “garden fresh”, yuh caint feel no noize.

Black eye peas: whenever I buy a can I mind me of the irises of Ma Petite Noire, all de way from Ville du Roi.

Houston introduced me to a whole ‘nother kind of bean: refried. Now here’s a question: would you eat cold refried ‘cos your “resistance is low” ?

There are those who eat the Meanz Beanz from a cold can; does their microbiome approve ?

Thanks once more for the Rich Cook lessons – bet Nigella would not approve.

Sláinte

28. Richard Nikoley on October 7, 2013 at 13:41

Leon

In my wife’s household, they don’t really make refried beans like on purpose. They just get that way after reheated heating, cooling of leftovers in the fridge.

Yes, using whatever fat is in the pan for your eggs is called based eggs. Basically sunny side up the fancy way and the best way to do that is only scoop the hot fat on the white. It’s similar to my fried poached, but the yolk might get a bit more done on the underside for the basted way, since it typically takes a bit longer.

29. BigRob on October 7, 2013 at 14:41

I had a quick question. Would brining your beans while soaking them prevent them from fermenting?

There are many advantages to brining your beans while they soak.

30. tatertot on October 7, 2013 at 15:00

@BigRob – I take it you mean adding a bunch of salt? It would probably be fine. That’s how you make sauerkraut and the lactobacateria seem to love it.

31. marie on October 7, 2013 at 16:09

BigRob, you reminded me of an old standing argument between my grandmothers :)
    So now I’m curious all over again, what are the advantages you mention?

32. Richard Nikoley on October 7, 2013 at 16:36

@bigrob

Feel free to ignore Marie. Probably just more Ancient Greek stuff. :)

33. marie on October 7, 2013 at 16:56

Ahaha,. Not his time, very modern et multiculturelle!
    Tiens,
    __my mémé (dad’s mom) to my yaya (mom’s mom) : “you must to add the salt to them for the overnight!”
    __yaya : “oh sure, sure, but You rinse them over and over and over to clear it before the cooking! ”

This always got resolved somehow, but it took quite a bit of diplomacy from both mom and dad. We kids just giggled – especially when yaya would mutter about those snooty french thinking they invented good cooking ;)

34. gabkad on October 7, 2013 at 19:07

A few months ago I bought a 5 litre Hawkins future pressure cooker. I’d considering the ‘concept’ and found this rather modernistic attractive piece at the halal supermarket. Later I checked Amazon.com revues. My goodness, quite controversial. I bought it because I find it ‘different’ and attractive. I figured if it was a dud, I can take it back. I ain’t taking this baby anywhere. She’s mine. She’s always sitting on my stove whether I’m using her or not. Lovely piece.

I like it because it doesn’t bleed off water through the valve and so less water is needed to cook stuff. And of course everything get cooked faster, especially beans. 20 minutes for those pinto beans. Made side pork belly and sauerkraut this week-end. 20 minutes.

Guyenet bought himself some super duper computerized really heavy needs it’s own throne pressure cooker some time ago. I don’t have throne space. The Hawkins Futura seems to be perfect. And way way cheaper than whatever SG bought for himself. But I give him credit for re-igniting my interest in pressure cookers since I hadn’t used one for about 30 years.

35. Richard Nikoley on October 7, 2013 at 20:19

I have a modern stovetop P cooker I bought a few years ago, put it away, haven’t used since. I may have to give her another shot?

36. BigRob on October 8, 2013 at 08:57

@marie

It is something that Cook’s Illustrated says to do with dry beans. They test all their stuff to death.

They state that it keeps the beans from bursting open and turning into mush while they cook. They also state the flavor is much better when you brine your beans while soaking them.

I may give it a try and report on the results.

They say to use 1.5 tablespoons of salt per cup of dry beans and 2 quarts of water to do a 24 hour soak.

37. BigRob on October 8, 2013 at 08:58
  38. Tatertot on October 8, 2013 at 10:57

@BigRob – I read this on WAPF website:

“Lacto-fermented condiments are easy to make. Fruits and vegetables are first washed and cut up, mixed with salt and herbs or spices and then pounded briefly to release juices. They are then pressed into an air tight container. Salt inhibits putrefying bacteria for several days until enough lactic acid is produced to preserve the vegetables for many months. The amount of salt can be reduced or even eliminated if whey is added to the pickling solution. Rich in lactic acid and lactic-acid-producing bacteria, whey acts as an inoculant, reducing the time needed for sufficient lactic acid to be produced to ensure preservation. Use of whey will result in consistently successful pickling; it is essential for pickling fruits. During the first few days of fermentation, the vegetables are kept at room temperature; afterwards, they must be placed in a cool, dark place for long-term preservation.” http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/lacto-fermentation

So. looks like salt is not needed to get the lacto going, but is useful in preventing other things from growing. If it makes the beans better–win-win. Let us know, I’ll try, too.

So hard to separate fact from fiction in all this. But I think salt is probably a good thing.

39. Tatertot on October 8, 2013 at 10:58

Oh, and whey. Would that be the same as adding some kefir or kefir starter? I think Richard mentioned that a while back.

40. gabriella kadar on October 8, 2013 at 12:13

Yeah well when you were mentioning how long it takes for the pinto beans to cook, I thought pressure cooking is the better option. Just keep an eye on it. Some people I know have done stuff like overloaded and overheated and the beans came flying through the vent hole. Not sure if pinto beans would end up decorating your kitchen, but…

41. Bobert on October 9, 2013 at 10:25

Tatertot, why make the bone broth before hand. Just toss the bones in when you simmer the beans.

42. JustinR on October 10, 2013 at 12:11

I plan on cooking my next batch of pinto beans with smoked ham hocks (pastured). Will also add in some smoked ham from the same pastured pig.

43. tatertot on October 10, 2013 at 14:59

I started soaking pintos last night and will cook them tomorrow after about a 40hr soak. I used about 1 heaping TBS of salt and am going to cook them with some meaty moose marrow bones. I can’t wait to pluck out the fatty little chunks of marrow!

44. Richard Nikoley on October 10, 2013 at 15:05

Tim

Speaking of marrow; here, December, 2008.

45. BigRob on October 10, 2013 at 16:35

@tatertot

I like the flavor and it does seem to hold the beans together more.

46. marie on October 10, 2013 at 17:32

BigRob, thanks, I knew it had to be interesting :) I think I might actually try that next time.

47. Spanish Caravan on October 12, 2013 at 16:26

I’m having a huge reaction to beans. My eyes are drying out and I generally feel terrible. Maybe beans are not compatible with me, since I seem to have RA symptoms. I also seem to be reacting to Bob’s RM PS. I really shouldn’t as long as PS is peeled. Perhaps it’s not. Anyway, that’s why I switched to tapioca and mung bean starch, and now I’m trying out dried green platains, which seem fine to me.

Anyone else with an autoimmune reaction to beans? Those with Hashimoto’s might react to legumes but I’ve yet to hear about this. Perhaps I should try lentels, which are supposed to be the least allergenic among legumes.

48. Richard Nikoley on October 12, 2013 at 16:55

“I’m having a huge reaction to beans.”

Well, I was tempted to post something similar today, only in exactly the opposite direction. I’m wondering where beans have been all my life.

49. Spanish Caravan on October 12, 2013 at 18:25

Richard, no one wants to consume beans more than me. But it seems my food allergies are just too much to deal with, even after extra-long simmering: I mean, 4-5 hours of slow simmer. I’ve tried black, red and white beans. I wanna try lentils before giving up.

But I’m having great results with green platains so far. They’re enormously appetizing once you dry them and spray some salt, black pepper and dried onions.

50. tatertot on October 13, 2013 at 08:27

@el-bo – Canned beans have less RS and more of the anti-nutrients/fart-makers that everyone talks about. The soaking we do is actually an elaborate lactobacillus ferementation much like turning cabbage into sauerkraut or milk into kefir. Simple to do, but makes huge changes in the structure of the fermented product. For beans, this means it changes soluble fiber to insoluble and frees up resistant starch from it’s indigestible shell as well as degrading compounds like raffinose, which humans cannot digest.

If it’s hummus you are after with the chickpeas, there are lots of recipes for lacto-fermented hummus. It looks like you can even make them from canned chickpeas. Recipe here:

51. tatertot on October 12, 2013 at 18:50

One reason Paul J. put legumes in the ‘never eat’ category was because so many people have allergies to peanuts.

I had to look up ‘legume’ actually, did you know all these are legumes: alfalfa, clover, peas, beans, lentils, lupins, mesquite, carob, soybeans, peanuts, tamarind, and the woody climbing vine wisteria.

I don’t know if the peanut allergy carries over to the other legumes, but I suppose people could be sensitive to any of them.

Anyway, Spanish Caravan, don’t give up on RS and try to eat lots of probiotics, as well. Dried plantains and green bananas are a fine source. I went to buy some mung beans starch, but it was $16 a pound on Amazon, so I passed. HAve you seen mung bean noodles? They look pretty awesome, too. http://www.asiansupermarket365.com/Mung-Bean-Sheet-Jelly-Noodles-p/hmbsjnyyj.htm Not as much RS as raw mung bean starch, but it would be a good source of RS3.

52. Spanish Caravan on October 12, 2013 at 20:03

Tatertot, I stopped consuming mung bean starch because it was like being shot out of a canon. I became hyperthermic! I tried a teaspoon later and it was much bearable. Now I could also be allergic to mung bean; it is after all a legume. I can’t be sure because I’ve been stressed lately as well. So I’m gonna give it a try again. I switched temporarily to 8 tbsp (yes 8 TBSP) of tapioca starch and I’m fine! Thanks for all your help. I’m determined to get some RS in me, food or powder, and nothing will stop me!

53. el-bo on October 13, 2013 at 02:29

are there any issues with using in-the-jar pre-prep’d beans, chick peas etc ?? personally don’t have any negative effects with them, but wondering whether they would still qualify for good RS potential if eaten cold

54. el-bo on October 14, 2013 at 06:40

cheers tatertot for the response

though i reckon the quality of legumes in jars is a step up from canned, i can see that neither would benefit from the process you are describing

it’s a shame as i am unable to go through the whole process…have no issue doing all the soaking etc, but i am not in a position to be able to cook them down for hours

something to keep in mind for the future though

thanks again

55. tatertot on October 14, 2013 at 09:01

@el-bo – In that case, jars over cans any day! Beans do require a lot of work/time. If I didn’ have the time to do it right, and had to just eat beans from a jar or can, I’d probably just skip them, or maybe like just a few times a month.

56. el-bo on October 14, 2013 at 10:28

>> “If I didn’ have the time to do it right, and had to just eat beans from a jar or can, I’d probably just skip them, or maybe like just a few times a month.”

a few times a month ?? skip them ?? haha, that aint gonna happen, at least not until i experience any negative effects for myself. i find chick peas and beans to be very satiating and they would seem to be a nice source of carbs, protein and fibre. i am not eating them for RS, but was just hoping that it was coming along for the ride :)

cold beans usually go in a tuna salad type of thing, as well a soups. i use chick peas in fish stew and with chorizo. i only briefly fell for legume fear, now i just leave it to n=1. just wanted to know the reasoning behind the grand process.

>>”Do you have a rice cooker? If you are stuck in a dorm or something and can’t cook or store cold food, I’d say you are a perfect candidate for using potato starch mixed in yogurt or milk and then try to eat a lot of veggies when you can.”

actually i do have access to cooking facilities and a fridge. my situation is a little different. i am doing a kind of work exchange type of thing, working in exchange for a room and food. although i do have control over my shopping, i don’t pay the bills. i might be able to justify the process to myself if i was buying the gas, but it’s too hard a sell to the bill payer when it is common practise here to buy legumes cheaply in jars

as for the starch ?? this does not seem to be a product that is commonly available in spain, and i don’t want to become dependent on something that is a royal pain in the arse to get hold of

for now, i’m quite happy to eat cold potato and cold rice.

thanks again :)

57. Dr. Curmudgeon Gee on December 10, 2013 at 23:10

@ Spanish Caravan,

hyperthermic –> you feel very hot? or from mung bean? mung bean is considered “cooling” by OMD. mung bean is not very friendly to gut i think.

you may want to try the small red beans. you can get those in Chinese or Japanese grocery. Japanese call it Azuki.
    it’s supposed to be less “toxic” (also lesser in the “gas department”) than most beans.

although it is typically consumed sweetened (as dessert)

cheers,