Frenched Pork Chops With Resistant Starch Mashed Potatoes and Gravy

What a difference a day makes. I still might not blog much over the next week, but at any rate, got interested in this during a trip to the market yesterday and so made it so.

IMG 1975
Thick, Bone in Pork Chops with a Nice Cut
IMG 1976
Other Side

If you don’t do them Sous Vide, then I like a cast iron skillet, on high always, lard as cooking fat. Brown very well on one side (about 3 minutes, flip and then cover to get at the inside).

This time, I reduced an entire quart of Kitchen Basics chicken stock to the equivalent of tablespoons. I then used that to deglaze the skillet, and then added in the juices from the resting. Beyond that, two taters boiled, mashed with a bit of butter and cream and when rested, two very heaping tablespoons of resistant starch by means of unmodified potato starch stirred in.

IMG 1980
Like That
IMG 1977
And That

Typically, a mound of mashed taters like that puts me into a coma. Not this time. Also, note that it took zero added fat in terms of butter or cream in the sauce/gravy as I usually do, and it was great. I also cut way, way back on the amount of either I use for a mashed tater. It’s just not needed, not necessary.

Wish I’d have clipped a pic of the inside but you can trust that it was perfect pink medium.

Something about pork chops. An hour after eating them, I always get the most amazing feeling of wellbeing, muscles pumped and swole. Cannibalistic tendencies? After all, pig flesh is about the closest to human of any animal. :)

Memberships are $10 monthly, $20 quarterly, or $65 annually. The cost of two premium coffees per month. Every membership helps finance the travel to write, photo, and film from interesting places and share the experiences with you.

1. Charlie on October 8, 2013 at 14:40

When you say”turn and cover”, do you also turn off the heat? And, for how long?

We had roast pork tenderloin, roasted multicolored baby spuds and peeled and sliced apples sauté in ghee, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg & allspice last night…mighty fine indeed.

Cheers

2. PortlandAllan on October 8, 2013 at 15:56

Funny, just yesterday we ordered a bone-in pork loin from the meat dept. They had ’em on sale a couple weeks ago and we got hooked on a brine recipe my wife found. Unfortunately whatever flunky they had make the cut sawed the tops of the bones flush with the loin itself. Instead of those cool 3 inch bones standing proud out of the roast we have these little 1″ nubbin’s. WTF? Ignorance or lazy? Not that it matters. Pussies these days just don’t take pride in their work like they used to.

3. Richard Nikoley on October 8, 2013 at 16:09

@Charlie

No, keep the heat on. I have a large glass lid, so I can keep a good eye out. Soon as I see juices bleeding out, it’s done. Never fails.

4. EJC on October 8, 2013 at 17:04

Richard,
    Was looking for a fresh post on RS to post this question but this post has some RS in it so here goes… Found that after adding in RS even in 1 rounded tsp. , the gas factor is not “fartty” as you mentioned but more “explosive”, HOT and foul. Trying to power through this because it did change a few other things for the better.
    Is there a “burn in” period for some folks when adding RS into the mix?

5. gabkad on October 8, 2013 at 19:01

Interesting. 1 tbsp. potato starch, am definitely NOT experiencing what EJC is reporting. Maybe I don’t have the requisite gut bugs. Whatever.

I have been promoting it to patients though because of the butyric acid production and what it does. Even if only as a fibre stool softener it excels the other types available. One patient has colorectal cancer. He’s on chemo, then radiation, then surgery. He’s going to do it although he knows that really despite everything he’ll be a palliative care case. If it helps at all that’s a good thing.

6. marie on October 9, 2013 at 21:10

gabriella,
    I never had any of the TMI effects either. We’re a minority, but it makes sense, there’s so many combinations of the couple of thousand Types of microbes (and that’s just the ones identified up to now) that it’s anyone’s guess who is harboring what and in what proportions, to make up 100trillion of them.
    There seem to be 3 “enterotypes” (three broad categories of microbiome compositions) that are independent of ethnicity and geographical location, but within those enterotypes there’s still a whole lot of variety.

“…as a stool softener it excels the other types available” – I agree, I gave it to my uncle who has diverticulitis and ended up three months ago for a second time in the hospital with an obstruction/infection and bleeding. He’d been given psyllium, but he too reports that RS works better and right from the next morning after starting to take it.

EJC,
    yes, there seems to be an adjustment period for many folks when first starting RS, I’ve seen everything here from 1 week to 3 weeks before gas effects calm down, for those reporting any gas effects to begin with.
    It seems to me meantime, that most people do get the instant ‘stool softener’ effect that gabkad mentions.

The good thing about RS is that it does feed preferentially the ‘good guys’ which will crowd out some others and that’s likely why many people have been finding an adjustment period – their gut microbiome really is reorganizing itself.

7. tatertot on October 10, 2013 at 11:16

I have been playing with the flatus a bit and think I have it somewhat figured out. It’s not the potato starch or RS that is causing the gas, it’s other food in a ‘new’ gut microbiome.

Here’s what I mean. I have been taking 4TBS of PS in the morning with water. 4-6 hours later, still no gas. That’s plenty of time for the RS to hit the large intestine and ferment.

After 4-6 hours, I eat a big bunch of grapes and a pear. 2-3 hours later, the fun starts. Not noxious, but noisy, long, and comical. Lasts for hours. Grapes and pears used to tear me up with stomach pains and foul gas. I think I’ve had some fructose malabsorption issues for quite some time. Now, not so foul, but still plenty of gas.

My guess why Marie isn’t having any problems is because she is eating a low carb diet that doesn’t contain any/many gas producing fibers. EJC and others who are experiencing gas may be eating lots of food they don’t digest well and it is magnified by the new flora.

I can go weeks without any excess gas, but if I eat a lot of ripe bananas, grapes, apples, or pears it’s game-on.

Maybe for those with bad gas, try the PS on an empty stomach and don’t eat for 4-6 hours and see what happens. If there’s no gas, try to figure out what food does cause the gas and maybe consider eliminating or rationing that food.

8. EJC on October 10, 2013 at 13:47

Marie/Tatertot,
    Thanks for the info. I’ll continue to power thru at this lower dose and play with some eliminations to see if I can pin point some foods that aren’t playing well with the new gut flora.

9. tatertot on October 10, 2013 at 14:57

@EJC – I’d be curious to hear if anyone does experience gas when taking PS on an empty stomach and not eating for 4-6 hours. It’s easy for me, I don’t normally eat til noon, so I take it at 7 or 8am. I think that when taken on an empty stomach, it travels very fast through the small intestine and hits the large intestine in less than an hour, although conventional wisdom says it should take 3-4 hours to get there. I personally think it travels through like water rather than food. especially after a 12+ hour overnight fast when the small intestine should be completely empty.

10. EJC on October 10, 2013 at 15:43

tatertot,
    I’ll see if I can give that a go and get back to you. I’m probably due for some autophagy anyway.

11. […] Frenched Pork Chops With Resistant Starch Mashed Potatoes and Gravy […]