Get Your Panties in a Bunch: I Hosted Jimmy Moore’s Livin’ La Vida Low Carb Show

I’ve gotta give Jimmy credit for this one. Way to undercut me.

As I’ve kept increasing the volume on the general issue over starches—and resistant starches in particular—poking Jimmy regularly, he goes and makes me an offer to host his show, 100% confident that I could not turn it down.

Well played, sir!

Indeed, I had too much fun. I considered it an honor and privilege, and spent a lot of time working it over in my head. I tested the tech in terms of a 4-way recorded call between San Jose, California; North Pole, Alaska; Shanghai, China; and Bumfuck, Tennessee…on Skype. I was worried about the cost, since on my last AT&T Wireless bill—where I picked up my cell and chatted up Grace for 27 minutes—I got nicked for $100.

…Once my people get done with reviewing the numbers, Jimmy’s Webpire People will get a bill for costs. We’re estimating something between $7 and $10 total. …I’ll email your people my preferred PayPal send address, Jimmy…uh, buddy.

So then I make copious notes, a show outline even. I’m going to do a full-pro, scripted show and nobody will tell the difference—except I told Grace, Tim, and Tom that they get zero clues. Only I get to see the Green Curtain!

That was stupid. I don’t even prepare speeches but for a couple of hours in advance. So, once we got going, I tossed the show outline and just went with the flow. Predictable results, from a comment at Jimmy’s place.

So sorry to tell you this Richard, do not give up your day job to become an interviewer. Your writing on the blog is great. Your interviewing skills are not. I’d say you interview as well as Jack Kruse writes, or maybe worse. Tim and Grace and Tom were all very good speakers. They were organized, clear and to the point. You Richard, on the other hand fumbled and stumbled and stuttered and lost your point repeatedly or got completely off track. When your book comes out, please let your co-authors do the talking.

Woe is me.

But, the good news is that you now have two other reasons to listen, beyond any interest in resistant starch and and the gut biome. First, you get to hear me bomb the deal. Second, you get to hear my organized, clear, and to the point guests.

So, you have three whole reasons to take a listen.

Here’s the links.

• Livin’ La Vida Low Carb Blog
  • Livin’ La Vida Low Carb Show Website

I believe the later link is the post with most of the links that were mentioned in the show.

Thank you jimmy moore. Very manly of you, and hope I didn’t disappoint. And even though you told me it was my hour to do with as I please, I like being a good guest, because I’m a real whore for getting invited back.

1. Tom Naughton on April 29, 2014 at 13:47

It may be spelled “Bumfuck,” but we pronounce it “Franklin” in these here parts of Tennessee. That’s to confuse people we want to keep out.

2. Tom Naughton on April 29, 2014 at 14:04

Your critic’s review reminds me of one of legendary Chicago columnist Mike Royko’s best lines about the original Mayor Daley:

“When he spoke, he rarely exited the same sentence he’d entered.”

Not sayin’ that applies to you, of course.

3. Janet on April 29, 2014 at 15:35

I enjoyed it very much and took notes. Thanks to u and grace and Tim.

4. Monica on April 29, 2014 at 18:57

Your description of daily (sometimes hourly) Afrin and Flonase usage mirror my own . . . I should receive dividends from both companies. :P
    What HSO/product did you use and in what quantity/dosage?
    Thanks

5. Nürnberg on April 29, 2014 at 23:20

Richard, since I’ve heard you state several times that only women seem to get the x-rated dreams I just wanted to piss all you other dudes out there off by saying that I have seen a huge increase of those since starting PS supplementation. HA!
    (//a dude)

6. LaFrite on April 30, 2014 at 02:04

I’ve had a few dreams with explicit sexual content … but then again, I’d also had them before using raw PS ;)

PS: and some ended up being so real :D :D haha

7. snakes on a plane on April 30, 2014 at 04:04

Rich, one day I might send a pair of my freshly bunched up panties. It’ll make the metaphor just a little bit more real for you.

• LeonRover on May 3, 2014 at 23:44

Only au pair Snakes ?

Ah thinks you should you send Richard a bunch or even a whole bunch of panties.

You may pick up whole bunches cheaply at Marks & Spencer or “genuinely” holed bunches expensively on e-bay.

• snakes on a plane on May 4, 2014 at 05:18

@LR, only the genuine article for Richard!

8. Yeastie on April 30, 2014 at 05:33

Can someone please provide the link to a blog mentioned by Richard—Eisenberg’s blog post about lactobacillus. Thanks!

• Janet on April 30, 2014 at 08:13

I think you are thinking the Mr. Heisenbug blog
      http://mrheisenbug.wordpress.com/ Love this blog as well. It was suggested there that I try L plantarum for my hand eczema (Gabrielle??). I tried it and it indeed cleared up my eczema. Go there today. Don’t let the large font of his blog get in the way of the cool stuff on it. He is very responsive as well.

• Yeastie on April 30, 2014 at 08:47

Yes, Mr. Heisenbug—-I finally did track him down. Thanks for your reply.

9. Ron Padot Jr. on April 30, 2014 at 10:50

The dream thing for me has been, on three occasions now, surround sound-like audio where I literally sat up and went to get out of bed because I thought someone was actually speaking to me.

• Steven on May 1, 2014 at 12:59

There was a post somewhere (maybe here) that mentioned auditory hallucinations associated with RS.

I’ve experienced similar where I’ve heard my name clearly spoken and looked around, unsure of whether I was awake or asleep when I heard my name.

• Ron Padot Jr. on May 2, 2014 at 08:57

Thanks for the corroboration, Steven. I googled and found it mentioned in a couple of comments in Mark’s Daily Apple’s RS Self Experiment thread.

10. Christoph Dollis on April 30, 2014 at 15:29

Listening to this now. It’s good.

I like how it was explained how RS creates such a large diversity of gut microbes because it requires several different steps to break down.

11. Eric Shefferman on April 30, 2014 at 20:36

I’ve been very interested in your posts on resistant starch both for the improved gut bacteria profiles (something that is starting to get a lot of attention in Crohn’s research) and for fat loss.
    It does seem pretty wild that something like potato starch (cheap!) can have such positive effects. I’ve been cautiously starting it with 1 tbsp per day.
    This just came out and it seems to me that it might be related in terms of gut stuff:

12. tatertot on April 30, 2014 at 20:51

I didn’t feel like any podcast or interview I’ve done in my short career as RS spokesman. It felt like one of the hundreds of phone calls and emails I’ve had on the subject in the last couple years.

Somebody really needs to write a book about this stuff!

13. LeonRover on May 1, 2014 at 02:34

“panties in a bunch” –

well, I might get like that Richarrrd, if I had “chatted up Grace”.

However I would have doin’ it in the British idiomatic sense & not in the Californian .. .. ..
    :)) :))

Sláinte

14. Ron on May 1, 2014 at 07:20

I’ve become a believer! My Dr tried to get me on statins because of cholesterol levels over 270 despite a long term low carb diet. I refused the drugs and started RS and SBO’s in February. I’ve also been eating potatoes, rice, corn tortillas and beans instead of just green vegetables. I’ve even binged on these safe carbs because they tasted so good after long term denial.

I had another Dr visit yesterday and got the results back today along with a note saying how much my lab results had improved! My total cholesterol level is now 203 with a 68 HDL, LDL dropped from 166 to 117, triglycerides at 89 and my glucose is now below 90 instead of 108!

I’m 78 years old and feeling pretty good about those results. My wife who thought I went off the deep end buying all my potato starch now wants to start taking it too! I’ve stopped having the vivid dreams though. I miss them a lot!

• LeonRover on May 1, 2014 at 08:24

“I’m a believer” – Monkees, 1966

“luv was out to get me”
      better than a Belieber, eh, Marie ?

Sláinte

• Gina on May 1, 2014 at 09:45

The Monkees!?

Neil Diamond does it so much better.

• Tom Naughton on May 1, 2014 at 10:59

Probably because he wrote the song.

• LeonRover on May 1, 2014 at 13:45

Carly Simons is Nobody!

15. Christoph Dollis on May 1, 2014 at 08:51

I thought you might find this comment that I left on Pam Popper, MD’s most recent video—Dr Pam Popper: Vegetarian Diets are Better than Paleo Diets—of interest:

Just started watching this video, but you are beginning with a straw man, then adding a straw man to the straw man.

Many in the paleo sphere acknowledge that our ancestors ate tubers and other root vegetables. I’ve lived off the land. I know this for a fact. While there is a low-carb/Atkins wing if you will, it’s not the majority. Most people in “Paleo” believe, as the anthropological evidence shows, that our ancestors ate both animals and plants. This probably included some legumes and if not grass seeds, definitely grass-family plant roots.

Some even understand that extreme populations such as the Inuit ate so much protein and glycogen from whale blubber, organ meat, and the like, that they would rarely if ever be in ketosis. How Atkins (who wasn’t “paleo”) taught his plan was induction for a couple weeks, then just enough carbohydrate to stay out of ketosis.

Then you talk about Paleo folks advocating dairy. Well, some do, some don’t. Many allow neolothic foods based on individual tolerance, but most aren’t under any impression our stone-age ancestors were eating camembert.

I notice in another of your videos, which I commented on and I don’t believe you replied to, you presented extremely dangerous misinformation going so far as to claim vitamin B-12 deficiency is more common in meat eaters than exclusive plant eaters because the main problem causing vitamin B-12 deficiency is lack of absorption vs. lack of dietary intake.

This is wrong on so many levels.

To start with, population studies show that vegetarians and especially vegans are incredibly deficient in vitamin B-12 and very very few meat eaters are. So you’re wrong there.

Other studies show neurological developmental delays are common in vegan children and even several years on a meat eating diet is not enough to bridge this gap, this hole that their parents placed them in. They would be in less of a hole, if they didn’t get misinformation from well-meaning, but badly informed, physicians such as you, and got more information from Neal Barnard, Michael Gregor, and even John McDougall, all of whom have spoken out intelligently and from an informed knowledge base on vitamin B-12.

One thing I believe you’re doing is confusing molecules related to bioactive vitamin B-12 (cobalimin) with plant forms such as cobamides which compete with bioactive B-12 (from animals) and increase the need for B-12 rather than satisfy our said needs.

This is one of the major reasons why B-12 deficiency is rampant in vegans.

It would probably also be prudent to supplement with some DHA, which could come from algae or yeast, although that is a bit more controversial. In principle, vegans shouldn’t get enough DHA, but studies are ambiguous about whether DHA supplements help much. Still, a low-dose DHA supplement would probably not be a bad thing for vegans to take out of an abundance of caution.

There is much that is wrong in the Paleo sphere, including with the extreme low-carb zealots who go far beyond what even Atkins taught.

However, the Paleo sphere is increasingly embracing plants, as well they should.

The truth is there were no entirely vegan populations. Not even bonobos and chimps are strict vegans, for crying out loud. However, at most latitudes, our ancestors would have eaten a lot of plants and in many cases, perhaps most, the majority of their calories from plants ranging from starchy tubers to some grains to some legumes to coconuts to tropical fruits and so on. Even the aforementioned glycogen-rich whale blubber and preserved berries and other plants in the arctic.

So the UN and Michael Pollan are right when they advise people to eat mostly plants. The emphasis being on “mostly”.

If you’re going to advocate strict vegan diets, you really need to, with all due respect, Dr. Popper (and I mean that; I find much of your information worthwhile), reopen your mind on vitamin B-12 and do more research on that. It is important. No, it’s vital and it’s poor medicine to remain in your current state of knowledge.

Even extreme vegans like durianriders have opened up their minds and now take vitamin B-12 shots. If you want people to embrace vegan diets, news articles about dead/stunted vegan kids and subsequent trials, etc., are not the way to go about it.

P.S. Most people absorb vitamin B-12 just fine. There are two main methods people absorb it by, however, one of which is quite limited at any given meal, and this video explains each.

P.P.S. The most recent episode of Jimmy Moore’s Livin’ La Vida Low Carb Show might be of interest. It’s on the, er, importance of eating … plants … starches … prebiotic soluble fibre … beans … etc. … and how not doing so kills your microbiome. So while you’re building straw men, many in the Paleo sphere are engaged in open-minded intellectual inquiry and experimentation. But then of course they’re not as 100% doctrinaire as veganism, by definition, has to be.

• Gina on May 1, 2014 at 10:10

Christoph:

Such a good comment. I’m a vegan, and I hate it when the dangers of not supplementing B12 are downplayed. It’s a cheap and easy solution to a terrible problem. As you say, sick vegans don’t help what I think is a very important cause.

I’m convinced that we can avoid eating animals and be healthy if we take our B12, eat a tablespoon or two of ground flax every day, avoid seed oils and take calcium. Not that hard. Another option would be entomophagy. Crickets actually taste pretty good, and so far as we can tell have no capacity to suffer: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ashoka/2013/07/31/want-to-help-solve-the-global-food-crisis-eat-more-crickets/

• LeonRover on May 1, 2014 at 13:40

“Crickets actually taste pretty good.”

& the Aussies & Brits lurve their balls.

• GTR on May 2, 2014 at 13:39

Oldest ancestors of both mammals, as well as primates were both insectivores.

• MC on May 2, 2014 at 07:48

I’m convinced more and more, that veganism is a mental health problem.

• Christoph Dollis (@ChristophDollis) on May 3, 2014 at 00:50

Thanks, Gina. I appreciate it.

While I’m not a vegan, I can certainly respect both ethical veganism and even nutritioanal veganism … provided one is not such a dolt as to put their children at grave, preventable risk of harm! You seem a decent and sensible sort and I wish some vegan thought leaders wouldn’t be total asshats on B-12.

They should look to their more reasonable vegan betters.

16. Janet on May 1, 2014 at 13:57

I have had grasshoppers sauteed in oil . They were good and crispy. I think the legs were pulled off before cooking. I would hope so, anyway, as a grasshopper leg might incite the gag reflex. I would try lots of bugs if given the chance, except perhaps the giant grubs reality shows like Survivor make their folks chow down on. Gulp. No thanks. But with a batter???? LOL. Won’t see that taste treat at the county fair.

17. snakes on a plane on May 2, 2014 at 04:51

I estimate your book will be released in about 6 weeks. Am I correct? Yes or no?

18. the iz @ oz on May 3, 2014 at 05:18

“nutritioanal veganism”? is that when one does the RS with an enema?

19. Patti on May 3, 2014 at 15:50

Hi Richard,

I liked the format of the show, and the information presented. I found one particular exchange between you and Grace interesting. I am currently a new sufferer of allergies from the pollen count. You had mentioned Grace sent you 3 jars of dirt, and from consuming the dirt your allergies have subsided. I have several question (1) what kind of microorganisms did she send you (2) how did you consume the dirt (3) how does one get the dirt to experiment with it (4) did she look at your gut biome profile in order to figure out which microorganisms you needed (5) have you looked at your gut biome profile post dirt consumption.

Thank you for your hard work in bringing this information to the public.

Patti

20. wtf on May 4, 2014 at 04:27

WTF! Sean, Woo, Twitter – what?

• Richard Nikoley on May 4, 2014 at 07:25

What, you mean the endless chatter back & forth? Been going on for months.

I recently had a cordial email exchange with Sean. I forget what he said exactly but it basically comes down to just diversionary fun. He’s not obsessed with her or anything.

I think he’s a bit bored and overwrought with the whole endless dietary and health debate. I think he said something like ‘at some point you just have to be alright.’

• Janet on May 4, 2014 at 07:47

Richard:

I am kind of at that point–although you guys are my favorite at this moment and the RS and probiotics thing is fascinating. I think what “jumped the shark” for me was a Beverly Myers podcast I was listening to. What that dear lady is doing and all the endless steps she was taking (and I MEAN plethora of mind numbing potions, actions, blah, blah, for the tiniest thing or issue she considered needing treating) I just kind of snapped. I know n=1, so I give her much credit for that and sharing. Most people are not as apparently damaged as she is, and I just thought–all this can make us obsessive and worried. I wasn’t as keen to read or hear all t his stuff after that day. Maybe that is a good thing. I am healthy now, keeping my ears cocked for what’s new in the Paleo sphere (RS!! Probiotics!!) and cutting back on the rest. (No offense all the good folks with podcasts, blogs,etc.–I love them all and listen or read at a reasonable amount of time spent). But sometimes enough is enough–FOR ME. You’all do what helps. . About the “studies” you have to pick something, or you are just whipped around in confusion and worry and obsession. I am not a scientist–but in my years I have decided to trust what I feel and think, along with what I know already. I have to–I want to sleep at night. LOL. At 66 I do know that feeling good and good health is important and makes the rest of my life more fun and strong. That is the goal. The rest of my life outside of my diet and exercise being worthy and accountable and productive. Paleo has helped that, but I gotta know my limits. Hope others do too. I can’t believe others don’t feel like me. We are human, after all. LOL. Take care.