Here are the rules:
- Simple. Less is more.
- Always a fresh crunchy baguette.
- Always unsalted butter, never mayonnaise.
- Pâté, quality charcuterie (sliced when you buy), or French-syle ham (e.g., Jambon de Paris) which is cooked, not smoked or cured.
- Cornichon (Gherkin) often, but not always.
- Moutarde rarely, but sometimes.
- They aren’t for every day, or even necessarily every week.
Here’s the ones I’ve made over about the last six months.
Rather than do it all the time, do it sometimes and always make it excellent.