I do like football, even though the 49ers suck because of woefully stupid owners who have ambitions such that they’re willing to fuck a team and its fans in order to give ultimate impressions that they have a clue as to what they’re doing in terms of being a winning football team. They make lots of money, though. There’s that.
Because we live off grid on solar and battery, we get most TEEVEE via Internet. We get a couple of the major networks via antenna. Not CBS, though, but we wanted to watch the SB. But, we didn’t want to go to a sports bar, didn’t want to go to an SB party. What to do? Well, because we’re vacation rental owners ourselves and grok the gig, Beatrice went on VRBO Saturday night and found a place for us and three Goddies, 45 minute drive away, in Aptos.
Notes on the game:
- Lady Gaga did about the best SPB I may have ever heard. It’s always nice when someone famous for superficial trappings can nonetheless actually sing. And sing she did. I recall Paul McCartney saying something once to the effect that no matter what, you have to sing the melody. And that she did, with a moving and emotional performance that still has me uplifted. Her style elements were present, but underrepresented, explicitly to do justice and respect. Thank you, ma’am. Wonderful.
- I was rooting for the old guy. He’ll be 40 next month. I dislike pretty-boy Cam. I think I saw him chewing gum, once. Men do not chew gum. Men chew meat, drink whiskey, smoke cigars, wage warfare, and worship women.
- Shootout games can be fun, but it’s only because they both have lousy defense. Defensive games can be boring, when they have lousy offense. This was a game where Denver had a better defense and NC, a better offense. But Denver’s defense just might be the best, error and penalty-minimizing defense in history. Manning wasn’t a Superman, but he was competent and error minimizing enough that the points he put on the board allowed the defense to do its job of just stopping the other team, and not rescuing the offense. In other words, Manning kept the morale of the defense high, and the importance of that cannot be overstated.
- Beyonce has a fat ass and double thunder thighs now, and if she thinks she can get away with that, then she calculates her fan base as crass, dumb, and undiscriminating. Probably a good bet.
- It was fun to watch the late and late late night shows live on the west coast. I’m not a watcher of any of them except on occasion, and now that Craig Fergusson is done, well…. But anyway, it was fun, though Colbert’s gig with the Jive Master-in-Chief was perfectly in keeping with the shallowness, insincerity, and irreverence of the left at the exact time and circumstance where such is inappropriate. But, best Ghetto President ever. There’s that.
Finally, James Corden of the Late Late Show and Elton John had me in tears of laf. Good job, mates.