What Do You Think of Yourself? (2)

"Michael, I view the world very simply: producers and parasites."

That was me, in a phone conversation with a high-powered attorney that I just had to retain on a pressing company legal matter. I don’t use the phrase "high-powered attorney" lightly. I’ve dealt with hundreds of attorneys (literally)–mostly putzes–over the years. For the most part, this one defends businesses, and he does so very effectively.

But the question remains. Who are you, and why? At the end of the day, have you added real value to humanity, or have you sucked value away in order to fake–through the prism of activity–a sense of self worth?

Huh?

Since Covid killed my Cabo San Lucas vacation-rental business in 2021, this is my day job. I can't do it without you. Memberships are $10 monthly, $20 quarterly, or $65 annually. Two premium coffees per month. Every membership helps finance this work I do, and if you like what I do, please chip in. No grandiose pitches.

1. Rich on March 6, 2006 at 19:45

JB:

It is the widest possible integration dealing with humanity and it undercuts all manner of gibberish that exists at all levels from down low to on high. It is the quintessential trump card.

Our fortunes are in peril because society is armed with "the big lie." It is not the producers that require continual promotion via every means that we have of promoting. It is the parasites who are thus dependent upon 24×7 legitimization. They must be propped up.

The means of their defeat is absolutely the simplest thing in the world. Their survival rests upon our constant attention and affirmation. To simply and mercilessly quit is to allow them to wither away.

2. Billy Beck on March 6, 2006 at 21:05

"To simply and mercilessly quit is to allow them to wither away."

Who's doing that, Rich?

Let me tell you something, mate: one of your commenters recently referred to "poverty" and people who're either "stupid" or "timid".

I say he's a fucking idiot.

But you've heard this before.

No platitudes, sir.

"Our lives, our fortunes, our sacred honor."

Emphasis added.

3. JB on March 6, 2006 at 19:16

"Michael, I view the world very simply: producers and parasites."

darn. that was a powerful statement there. i wish i could have said that.

4. sugardaddy on March 6, 2006 at 20:06

love the producers or parasites comments. heard a commentary about the refugees of Katrina. they are just ticks who have moved to another part of the dog.

5. mandrill on March 7, 2006 at 04:23

Which one are you, Rich?

6. Rich on March 7, 2006 at 08:27

Well, Mandrill, let me lay out the facts and everyone can judge for themselves.

– I sign paychecks totaling over $100,000 per month to my employees. Month in and month out, going back years. I also provide company paid health care and up to 6% matching of gross pay in an investment account. I do it, of course, because as an organization under a structure of capital investment, the sum total of their integrated efforts within the business model we've created is worth more than their pay to me.

– Our clients, in total receive a real dollar benefit of $600,000 per month (2005 average). These are people with various hardships who could just punt and have complete discharge of their debts, but instead choose to have us work something out. All settlements are 100% voluntary on the part of creditors. It's not just a matter of creditors not losing everything. Our services also help them to stop throwing good money after bad in collection costs.

– On a personal level, see here:

Through improving the place, I'm forcing appreciation of about $20,000 per month. That will soon make a nice place for someone to live.

I recently purchased three almost new homes in Phoenix, two of which have been rented by people I presume are happy with their choice. The third should be rented very soon.

I'm in the process of purchasing three more properties in Orlando that will make three families likewise pleased to live in very nice places.

I buy and sell options in the financial markets, meaning that I buy what others want to sell, and I sell what others want to buy. My net gains are then reinvested in the market, etc.

And then there are the parasites who are constantly trying to take "their cut" in all of this without my consent. If they had something I wanted, I'd be happy to pay for it, but it is precisely that they have nothing I desire that causes them to back it all at the point of a gun.

7. Rich on March 7, 2006 at 08:37

Who's doing that, Rich?

Well, Billy, if I thought that ceasing all efforts to produce values for this world would actually help, then I'm all ears. Clearly, someting like that will need to take on MLK, civil-rights movement proportions. But, as I believe we've agreed, I'm no more culpable in choosing to produce values than others are foolish in taking different paths.

Also, it should be clarified that people who choose only to carry their own way are not parasites and they have every right act as they do.

That's a far cry from sucking the blood of others.

8. mandrill on March 7, 2006 at 08:50

You answered my question Rich, thankyou. It's entirely possible that I didn't ask the right one though. Once I figure out what it is I'll get back to you.

9. Billy Beck on March 7, 2006 at 09:02

"But, as I believe we've agreed, I'm no more culpable in choosing to produce values than others are foolish in taking different paths."

Agreed. However, the very real fact is that the suckers are living off just exactly that. Now, that's not your responsibility, but you know the truth. The essential question is what is to be done about it. If the politics of the times are not demonstrating that this is becoming a real imperative, then I sure as hell don't know how to do it. It is sometimes said that I make no argument. Well, the facts are the argument. How long it will take before people understand the facts and begin to act on them is a mystery to me, but there is no mystery in the world over their standing as facts.

10. Rich on March 7, 2006 at 09:25

"Your original statement does allow for opposing interpretations, depending on your view of the world."

Well, Mandrill, I had written in the previous comment:

"You know what disturbs me the most, man? I have a sneaking suspicion that most people who read that line of mine will conclude that it means the exact opposite of what it does."

But here's the thing. The bottom line is that human beings require certain kinds of values to survive, and then even more to be prosperous and happy. It's a spectrum that begins with life half naked in a cold, damp cave, proceeds on through the person who owns businesses and mansions at every choice spot on the globe, and has no fixed end, so far as I can tell.

There is no real mystery as to the sorts of values that are required at each stage of that spectrum and there is no real mystery as to who is responsible for creating and producing those values.

This is why the "central antagonism" (as I believe Beck puts it) throughout all modern times is: individualism vs. collectivism. It is the only way to fool people into misidentifying the guilty as the innocent, the innocent as the guilty, the benefactors as the oppressors, and the parasites as the producers.

11. EKENYERENGOZI MICHAEL CHIMA on March 7, 2006 at 09:41

JB,
    The world is full of hypocrites, parasites, prostitutes and ingrates.

12. Rich on March 8, 2006 at 07:57

"Who is the "producer" and who is the "parasite" now?"

It's like I implied, Cecil. Most people–such as you I suspect–haven't a clue in the world. And why? Why, because you're not talking from the perspective of an individual. You're talking like an ant or a bee–take your pick–would talk if they could.

The reason civilization is more than an ant-farm in the dirt or a beehive of honeycomb is because of capital privately and indididually directed. That's our "nature."

Don't worry about it, though. In my experience, even few business graduates truly understand capital and how it works.

13. Cecil on March 8, 2006 at 06:54

This "high powered lawyer" probably likes to call the people who pay his fat fees "producers".

Well, you don't (usually) get to be a "fat cat" through honest "production". You get that way by stitching up enough poor suckers so that you end up "reaping where you did not sow" .

Who is the "producer" and who is the "parasite" now ?

14. Jeff on March 8, 2006 at 22:33

… Sounds to me like you're describing a union organizer.

15. Janet Stapleton on March 10, 2006 at 05:36

At the end of the day, who and why am I? Have I contributed anything of real value to humanity?

Who I am:

I am who I choose to be in every moment of every day.

Why I am:

I am here to live. And yes, it is just THAT pure and simple.

Contributions of real value:

Now, that is just so open ended and full of possibilities it's almost impossible to answer. Here goes my attempt…..

If I have touched another in ANY positive way, and it continues on and touches another, and so on & so forth, then yes, I have contributed something of real value to humanity at the end of the day. If it loses momentum and goes nowhere, then the answer is no. I can only control what I do. Then it's up to you…..