What Goes Around

Regular readers (thank you kindly) shall recall this post from just a bit more than a month ago. To sun it up:

2631_atlas_1

Now, this:

2631atlas_after

It’s not a great photo, coming off a Treo 650 camera phone. I’ll have better later. My brother Dave is responsible for that. What he and my nephew, Josh, didn’t do was done by contractors that he arranged for. Yes: new roof, windows, garage door, paint, and a touch of landscaping and just cutting down and cleaning up. And you haven’t yet seen the before & after of the interior. That will shock you even more. Think: stinky stained carpet vs. beautiful hardwood.

Now, get this. I called my baby-brother, Mike, today, Saturday, ’cause I had a question for him about some pressure-cooker cookery we’ve got cookin.’ Guess where he was? Up there–three hours drive–in Sacramento helping Dave with some particularly difficult water intrusion damage in the bathroom. Complete surprise to me.

I love my brothers (I’m the senior of four of us). Can’t imagine life without them. This here? It’s just a small part of the whole deal. I could bog for 10 years and I wouldn’t scratch the surface of it. I have another younger brother, too, but you you know what your mom taught you about "if you can’t say something nice…" That’s a daily tragedy, I can assure you.

Ok then. There it is, for now.

Since Covid killed my Cabo San Lucas vacation-rental business in 2021, this is my day job. I can't do it without you. Memberships are $10 monthly, $20 quarterly, or $65 annually. Two premium coffees per month. Every membership helps finance this work I do, and if you like what I do, please chip in. No grandiose pitches.

1. tinker on March 4, 2006 at 21:24

Very nice transformation of the house.

2. Kyle Bennett on March 5, 2006 at 06:48

Nice. Just pulling that pair of shrubs made it so much more inviting, better curb appeal. The new paint and I'm sure the interior work seem to have turned it around completely. aint Real Estate grand? (Except I live in the fastest growing RE market in the country and can't afford to invest — yet).

3. Rich on March 5, 2006 at 07:27

Kyle:

Once you've got that new job started and established, you might start working numbers. Money has never been so cheap or easy to get for owner-occupied R/E. 100% financing and interest-only loans are commonplace and usually pretty easy to get in greatly appreciating markets. There are even negative amortization loans (to get the payment down) that make very good sense in an appreciating market.

If you carry out over 5 years and only assume a 6% annual appreciation, you'll be surprised what even a neg-am loan can do for you in terms of building assets.

Neg-am loans also often make sense for investors, as it frees up capital that would be used to maintain a property (higher payment) in exchange for being able to buy another.

I am convinced that virtually anyone can get into a house if they have a decent income and just a few thousand set aside to cover closing costs (and even that can be worked around, with effort).

It starts with deciding to "just do it."

Best wishes on that new job.

4. Tawcan on March 5, 2006 at 01:05

Looks like a lot of work was put into this. Nicely done!

5. Kyle Bennett on March 5, 2006 at 11:17

Richard,

I already own a house, so that's not the issue. I'm talking about investing. Either remodel/flip or rentals. I'm still paying off some old debt. It's been going very well so far, helped by a nice refi (bought just before the boom really started), and this new job should seal the deal. Once I'm mostly free from non-collateralized debt, I'll be rearin't to go. Things will level off soon, but Tucson will continue growing for the near future.

6. Suzi on March 4, 2006 at 22:40

Wow! It's a completely new house! Nice job.

7. Mike on March 5, 2006 at 11:30

Looks good so far, Good luck with the investment.

8. J's Girlfriend on March 6, 2006 at 04:53

Well done! I'm not doing any DIY before I move closer to my siblings…

9. USELESS MAN on March 6, 2006 at 10:35

Looks great! tremndous work. I'm almost glad you didn't ask us for any advice. The least we could have done is helped with picking a paint colour.

Then again, is the interior all done? Ask if you need any help deciding!