Paleo v. Mediterranean — Curing Type 2 Diabetes

Stephan has up a couple of follow ups to those studies I posted about the other day.

It's a really nice roundup of the whole thing, which you can find here and then here. Most interesting is that the Paleo diet seems to have cured Type II diabetes with 100% effectiveness, and it may not even be primarily the low carbs that did it, but simply the elimination of grains completely.

I'm becoming convinced of this view. It's the grains way more than the carbs. Perhaps my "cheating" by eating a potato now and then isn't even a big deal at all.

If I were a Type 2 diabetic, I'd sure eliminate all grains from my diet and see how things go. By going this route and eating your other carbs (fruits and vegetables), you could avoid some of the problems with ultra-low carb while still remaining on insulin therapy, but of course, anyone ought to check with their doc. On that subject, Jimmy Moore has provided a wonderful resource in creating a blog to list doctors who specialize in low-carb dieting. They're listed on the right sidebar, by state. If you're diabetic and your health insurance doesn't have a low-carber you can consult with, then do yourself a big favor and consult with one of these guys out of your own pocket.

Just do it.

Memberships are $10 monthly, $20 quarterly, or $65 annually. The cost of two premium coffees per month. Every membership helps finance the travel to write, photo, and film from interesting places and share the experiences with you.

1. Richard Nikoley on October 9, 2008 at 13:52

Nancy:

Lot's of very good reviews on this "thyroid doc" website for Chatherine Grellet if you scroll down to Los Gatos.

Jeff, thanks. I have family members who are Type 2s, so I send that link around.

2. Nancy R. on October 9, 2008 at 11:44

Richard – Thanks for the pointer to Jimmy Moore's list of Doctors. I'm always interested in how people find good Doctors. I think you mentioned that you had found a Doctor to your liking for your most recent physical. How did you find him? Was it word of mouth and luck? Or did you have a system you used to find this gem? Any insight would be welcome because I'm having a really hard time finding someone to work with. I know I'm not alone. Thanks in advance for your time.

3. Richard Nikoley on October 9, 2008 at 12:02

Well Nancy, turns out I wasn't that impressed with that doc. First, my AC1 is way low, but my random fasting BG for the test came out just a bit over 100, so I got the standard saw from him, rather than the recognition that it's probably just what it was on that day and time. Other times, my fasting BG is in the high 70s or low 80s, but it's the AC1 that give the average, and that's in the low range.

I'm nowhere near pre-diabetic.

Also, my TSH is still high, and so he wants me to go back on thyroid. Yet, I've lost all this weight, so it seems to me that if he was smart he'd want to check my T3 and T4 instead of just put me back on a drug. I haven't followed up yet, but i was going to try to see an endocrinologist. Now I just may go to one of those low-carb docs and see what they think.

4. Nancy R. on October 9, 2008 at 12:31

Ah. I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. I can fully relate. With all the work you've done, to assume you're pre-diabetic or need to be on another pill without digging further is, well, typical. Like the good Doctor Eades says, Doctors are good at creating patients and drug customers.

Well, I appreciate your input and honesty. It's depressing and oddly heartening to know others have similar battles with their Doctors. I'm in the Bay Area (Oakland) so it wouldn't be too insane to check out one of the Doctors on Jimmy's list. But I do wish one were here in Oakland or SF. We'll see if I capitulate and do the commute! I'll keep on looking and I wish you all the best. Thanks again.

5. Jeff Iversen on October 9, 2008 at 13:39

Many doctors will tell you that you cannot reverse type 2 diabetes and you will be taking insulin and drugs for the rest of your life. If so, it is time to find another doctor.

Click on the link below to read about several doctors that have helped people to greatly improve or even reverse their diabetes.

"Can Diabetes Be Reversed Naturally"

Read about Dr. Strand's "Healthy For Life" program that you can do online with his supervision. Share the results with your own doctor and have him/her monitor the results if you want. That way, your doctor get's and education too.

6. Chris on October 10, 2008 at 02:32

I often read Jimmy's stuff. He is a nice guy but my problem is that I think his own diet is terrible! Technically low carb, but lots of atkins bars and shakes and gallons of diet soda. He is back up to 265lb and puzzled as to why he can't lose weight.

7. Richard Nikoley on October 11, 2008 at 15:02

Chris:

I'd forgotten to reply to this but yea, I see the sort of obsessive-compulsiveness about food with a lot of the Atkins types that Brad Pilon often talks about.

And I really dislike the idea of low-carb processed junk foods. It's just like the low-fatters who eat angel food cake, because it's fat free.