NOVA: Becoming Human

Just a quick public service announcement that tonight begins a three-part series on NOVA on PBS: Becoming Human.

There are a number of preview videos on the site, including this nearly 10-minute version that covers the whole series.

Since Covid killed my Cabo San Lucas vacation-rental business in 2021, this is my day job. I can't do it without you. Memberships are $10 monthly, $20 quarterly, or $65 annually. Two premium coffees per month. Every membership helps finance this work I do, and if you like what I do, please chip in. No grandiose pitches.

1. Tim Rangitsch on November 3, 2009 at 14:50

Hey, Thanks, I’d have totally missed this. Good call.

2. Justin on November 4, 2009 at 04:21

Thank you so much for posting this. This is going to be a cool series.

Thanks
    Justin

3. Sylvie O. on November 4, 2009 at 06:19

Reminds me of “Walking with Caveman” by the BBC. Anyone seen it? It makes a great case of how the human brain really started to develop after Homo Habilis started eating meat, by scavenging carcasses to get to the bone marrow and the brains (which animals could not get to) with their tools.

• Richard Nikoley on November 4, 2009 at 06:54

I believe I’ve seen bits and pieces of that.

In this program, they definitely covered Homo Habilis’ development of stone tools and the telltale cut marks on long bones to extract marrow.

Looking forward to part 2.

4. simona on November 4, 2009 at 09:26

Richard,
    I’ve been following your blog for a while now, on and off. I would like to ask you some questions related to your experience with gum disease (that I read about in your posts and comments) and I tried to e-mail you but I didn’t manage. Could you give me your address or write me a mail as I don’t want to comment off-topic (I’m doing it though) Thank you.

5. simona on November 4, 2009 at 09:27

Oh, sorry, I checked and you have since put up your address. I’ll try to contact you.