Paradigmatic Juxtapositions

The other day I was approached by an older white dude in Cabo, as I was out and about and in a tank top.

“Sir, are you a veteran?” he asks.

“Of what?” I ask back politely, even though I knew what he meant—having a certain disdain as I do for the outright hijacking of a perfectly good word.

“Were you in The service?” hijacking another one.

“Well, I was a Navy officer way back in the 80s.”

“…So you are a veteran.”

“I didn’t fight in any wars or anything, but it was a pretty cool job.”

“Well thanks for your service,” holding out his hand, which I shake politely. “I saw your flag tattoo and just wanted to thank you.”

“Uh, it’s a Black Flag,” I say with a not uncertain level of emphasis…“you know? No Country?”

I wish I had a picture of the look on his face. And without a single word, he turned and scurried off. Nonetheless, nice guy. I understand his paradigm and the whole set of assumptions upon which it rests, for I advocate multi-paradigmatic thinking as part of an omni-centric mindset.

…Let’s juxtapose that with Veronica, a 20-something, dark complexion, petite Mexican woman that works in the member services call center here at the resort I’m at in Cabo (she’s ‘in the service,’ and I ‘thank her for her [good] service’ often). As I recount at that link, I talk to these bi-lingual girls almost daily (+ Hector, the lone wolf), sometimes several times per day but after three years, it was the first time meeting. Victoria sees me and exclaims excitedly.

“Is that an Anarchy tattoo!?”

“Yep, Order from Anarchy,” I reply; ”and that’s not all,” as I lift my short sleeve to expose the Black Flag.

“Yes, no country, right?” she asks.

Becky, her co-worker, looks over at me with a smile. “Victoria thinks different.”

Indeed; different set of assumptions, lives in a different paradigm.

…Speaking of paradigms, how about the one where everything us humans are, we owe to meat; AKA, The Low Carb Paradigm? It rests on a whole bunch of assumptions now being knocked down right and left, to the general consternation of cocksure LC Diet Gurus with cadres of followers living in yet an additional paradigm: Guru Worship. Like worshiper Marley Harris:

You may look like George Clooney but you think like Einstein which is why I’ve long been an Eades’ groupie.

Embarrassing. Over-the-top waymore where that came from, in metoo comments to a post that’s so ironic it’s difficult to imagine straight faces—but such are paradigms with certain sets of assumptions. More on that in a subsequent post blast. Anyway, tons of Swedes took very seriously our takedown of the Inuit as a ketogenic society in general, as well as our exposure of Vilhjalmur Stefansson as an opportunist, lying, sac-of-shit fraud that literally stole money from investors based on falsehoods, and got people killed so he could steal more money.

Dr. Eades loves “Stef.” Paradigms.

One thing cool about the Internet is its international foundation. But, that cuts both ways. Who can forget the jumping-up-and-down excitement of all the Swedes jumping on the LCHF bandwagon? Problem is, Swedes—though generally “commie” as hell socially—are nonetheless not your average Guru worshipper to the extent doG & Cunt-ry, Colorful Flag Waving ‘Mercns are. They just aren’t. Paradigms… Different sets of assumptions—perhaps that are taken more fundamentally than those temporarily adopted for the LCHF bandwagon.

Remember Per Wikholm? Got an email today, and he even runs a website called LCHF (low-carb, high fat). But apparently, they operate within a meta-paradigm where it’s assumed that one must be honest and maintain integrity. Perhaps they even think that having a Guru status, bestselling books, and thousands of self-admitted “groupies” that tweet your every proclamation as word from Einstein, is probably a bad sign and a bad idea.

I´m really proud to have brought the RS revolution that you started on the FTA blog to Sweden. Now the train is really rolling and recently several people on Swedish LCHF for diabetics FB forums has started to test different forms of bean based pasta like blackbean spaghetti and other pastas made from green beans and soybeans. They all report only minimal post prandial bood glucose elevations, in the same neigbourhood as a stictly ketogenic LCHF meal would give.

Yea, you can get [easyazon_link identifier=”B0078DU1CY” locale=”US” tag=”fretheani-20″]Black Bean Spaghetti[/easyazon_link].

Oh, my. Assumptions becoming too fucking stupid to continue to hold, on the right and just to the left. What are cocksure Gurus to do?

…And what of The LECTINNNNNNNNNS!!!!!?

Well, more assumptions that created paradigms are going to come crashing down and with any luck, many of the “paleo” hucksters who built businesses on the basis of toxin-free “Paleo” living on brownies and cookies will come crashing down too, for I loath them the worst.

Perhaps you recall that The Duck Dodgers began a series on hormesis, which is a favorable biological response to low levels of toxins and stressors.

1. The Hormesis Files: Chronic Ketosis and The Case of The Missing Glutathione
  2. The Hormesis Files: Who’s Afraid of Unrefined Sugar?

Looks like it’s going to end up being about a 5-part series. Here’s an official The Duck Dodgers update.

The next hormesis files post is going to shatter the Paleo™ toxins myth—since the very tribes / cultures (Inuit / Masai) that paleo™ uses to justify a high fat diet were intentionally going out of their way to obtain the very toxins that Paleo strives to make people fear: a fear that is zero more than an opportunity to promote a low carb agenda with Gurus and their Groupies all on board. It has no basis when the eating habits of these cultures are examined more closely.

For instance, the favorite edible plants of Inuit were dwarf fireweed (Chamerion latifolium) and alpine mountainsorrel (Oxyria digyna) both of which are an antiscorbutic, and both contain a substantial amount of the same plant toxins that Cordain warns against. Plus, the Inuit drank lots of Labrador Tea, which is flat out poisonous in high doses. And the Masai ate even more of the same Paleo™ toxins than the Inuit did. So, modern Paleo™ will soon be proven as a lie for the promotion of Gurus and consumption of groupies.

Fuck that shit.

Dr. Eades has derisively referred to The Duck Dodgers as Team DD, implying that it takes a whole group to challenge him when in fact, he seems to take advantage in argumentum ad populum by encouraging and cultivating thousands of blind-believing, sycophantic groupies.

If you meet the Buddha, kill him. – Linji

Memberships are $10 monthly, $20 quarterly, or $65 annually. The cost of two premium coffees per month. Every membership helps finance the travel to write, photo, and film from interesting places and share the experiences with you.

1. LeonRover on March 26, 2015 at 03:23

Black Flag, hmmm.

Opposite of White Flag -> “No Surrender”, which is the rallying cry of the N’orn Ireland Orangist Black Protestants.

An an-arch-ist wearing black? It is too easy to imagine Arabic script on this and an association that Egyptian Ἶσις, Earth Mother would be dolorissima.

My orthodigmatic iuxtaposita cum dolorissima results in this wonderful Pre-Easter lament:

Sláinte an Bhealtaine (Beltane’s Fire)

LeonRover

• LeonRover on March 26, 2015 at 05:06

PS Rovaire suggest “skull & crossbones” or
      “Je suis Charly ‘Ebdo”,
      in white over the black flag. : -I :))

2. Harriet on March 25, 2015 at 19:32

Richard, I come here for a breath of fresh air. Mostly I’m giving up on the media, on forums (fora?) and most online stuff. To use your word the media and mainstream beliefs are fucktarded and I don’t use that lightly brought up as I was not to swear in public. I’ve had enough. As of now. I will cut out most of my online reading and find something better to do with my time. I have had it with mainline thinking.

3. CharlesQ on March 25, 2015 at 22:15

Scientist has a new conference to announce how to reduce calories in rice.

The technique involves boiling the rice with a small amount of coconut oil, placing it in the fridge for several hours to cool it down and then microwaving it briefly.
    “The beautiful piece is there was a fifteen-fold increase in the amount of resistant starch after using this method,

4. Resurgent on March 26, 2015 at 03:15

Richard, it is significant that you end the blog with:
    “If you meet the Buddha, kill him. – Linji”

This statement was made by Buddha himself – The statement is very strange in a way, because what it says is exactly what it hides. He is supposed to have said:
    “If you meet me on the way, kill me immediately.”

This is a tremendously important statement. It is not for ordinarily so-called religious people. It is for those who are authentically committed to reach to themselves. So this becomes especially significant in view of the Eades episode.

He is saying, “ If you meet me on the way, even I don’t matter – the master is the ultimate; even the master does not matter – kill me immediately because I don’t want to become a hindrance on your path. I want to become a stepping stone.”

Ordinarily people have always understood that the master and disciple relationship is just like other relationships: the wife and husband, the teacher and the taught. It is not of the same category; it cannot even be called a relationship, because a relationship needs out of necessity the existence of the two (people), and this phenomenon of master and disciple intrinsically needs the disappearance of duality.

Gautam Buddha is immensely compassionate. Rather than telling you, “Disappear,” rather than telling you, “Drop your ego, be no more of a separate entity,” he has found a very subtle way of saying the same thing, but in a far more sophisticated way: “ Kill me, if you meet me on the way.”

In meditation, when you are moving inwards, you will meet many things. You will meet your repressed desires, you will meet your incomplete experiences, you will meet your ambitions, but it is easy to destroy them, it is easy to go beyond them. Finally you will meet your master, because that is your last love. You have left everything for him, now only the master has remained. But even that small clinging is enough to prevent your eyes from seeing the truth. But it is only a metaphor, it only indicates to say good-bye to Gautam Buddha: “You have been enough for me, now leave me alone. Just move out of the way.”

In another statement Gautam Buddha has said – and one may wonder how such a small clinging can prevent the immense truth from being seen – “Just a small particle of sand in your eyes is enough to prevent you from seeing the whole sky.” It is not a question of a small piece of sand, it is a question of your vision. If our vision is closed, if our vision is very small – The world, the truth, the universe is immense, but for our eyes. And the master is certainly the biggest experience of the disciple’s life. He overwhelms. If one doesn’t drop him one will not be able to know the infinite and the eternal.

But the moment one drops the master, certainly one is no longer a disciple; they disappear together. What remains is utter silence, a non-dual state of tranquility.

One Christian monk reportedly told an Eastern Mystic, “This seems to be very strange that a man who taught non-violence for his whole life says, “If I meet you on the way kill me.”

The Christian monk was in a way right, because the word killing does not give you the sense of compassion and love. A Christian Monk cannot possibly say “If you meet Jesus, kill him.”
    But he did not understand that as far as Buddha is concerned, nothing is killed. Only the form is dissolved into a new form. You cannot destroy anything in this world, you can only change, and change is continuously happening.

Nobody dies and nobody disappears. Existence remains the same through all the changes, through all the climates, through all the forms, through all the seasons, through life, through birth, through death.

Richard, It is clear that you accept “change” as the very nature of existence, Eades and others should take a lesson from here.

BTW – I am not a Buddhist and I do not subscribe to any organised religion.

• Skyler Tanner on March 26, 2015 at 05:29

I beautiful synopses of an often glazed over and misunderstood insight.

• Richard Nikoley on March 26, 2015 at 07:36

Thanks Resurgent. Great contribution and perspective of a saying, a form of which I probably heard first maybe 10 years ago. Sam Harris, I believe.

I think a simple way to view the thing too is that a “master” is somebody else’s student, and so on. A student can be somebody else’s master, and so on. Nobody is privileged, everybody learns, everybody teaches. Kill all hindrances to that facilitation process.

• Starch lvr on March 26, 2015 at 08:28

Yes. Buddha would roll over in his grave if he knew that a religion was created because of him.

hat was not his point.

At one of his most famous satsangs, he held up a flower and gazed at it without saying a word. The other monks and followers in the audience, thinking they were going to hear some profound sermon, jumped up and stormed away in anger.

The flower said it all. There was nothing more to add.

5. pzo on March 26, 2015 at 07:03

We are not “homo sapiens,” thinking man. We are “homo emotus,” and “homo ring in nosus.” These knee jerk ways of responding to the world around us served us our our similar primate cousins well for millions of years.

Now, in our complex world, they often work against us. I spend (too much) time on forums, letters to newspaper editors, and similar opportunities to view human nature and our society. They paint a very sad picture.

Fear. Rampant. Scientific ignorance. Rampant. Historical, even basic mainstream whitewashed history ignorance. Rampant.

And Cognitive Dissonance? You could put it in a jar it’s so think. Yesterday, in letters in the NYT about the Republican proposed budgets, a retired marine officer points out (off topic!) that there is nothing in the Constitution about national health care. No, and nor is there about standing armies. And this from a man that has lived his work life sucking on the tax payer tit and receiving tax payer paid free, not just subsidized health care!

The US military is the most socialistic, communistic institution in the world. Everything is given to the individuals and unless you really fuck up immensely, you have a job for life and then you retire young and go get another job in the post office.

(Not disrepecting the military or the men and women in it, only the Cognitive Dissonance that prevents so many from seeing the reality.)

6. Virginia on March 26, 2015 at 07:03

“a favorable biological response to low levels of toxins and stressors” – When I was a Naval officer myself I used to call this the “retirement effect”. When you saw your flabby, gray-skinned, unhappy colleagues six months after retirement, they were invariably thinner, pinker and smile-ier.

7. McSack on March 26, 2015 at 07:26

Aww, part of the charm of Paleo of developing your own personal food neurosis. ;)

• Richard Nikoley on March 26, 2015 at 10:14

“I’m glad to see more myth-busting, but I wonder if there’s a point where the baby is thrown out with the bath water? Since anti-nutrients seem to often play a dual role of benefit and harm, how do we know the conditions of when it hurts versus helps us?”

Well, of course, it ought be understood that for many of these more potent anti-nutrients and poisons, there’s a cultural context or component. The point is, “clean eating” is as far from Paleo as you can get, on many levels.

In terms of babies and bathwater, that’s how I used to think, and why I would defend Jimmy Moore, et al. But no more. This whole thing has really become solidly about selling stuff, setting one’s self up as an authority, and fostering a guru mentality amongst adherents to lend sway to the paradigm.

Fuck that, and infanticide all the way, baby!

• Duck Dodgers on March 28, 2015 at 20:15

“I wonder if there’s a point where the baby is thrown out with the bath water? Since anti-nutrients seem to often play a dual role of benefit and harm, how do we know the conditions of when it hurts versus helps us?”

One way to discern the correct dosage of toxins is to get clues by looking at the eating and medicinal habits of various cultures. For instance, we see high legume consumption by some of the longest-lived populations on the planet (i.e. Blue Zones). That’s probably a good sign that it’s hard to eat toxic levels of fully cooked legumes.

Secondly, if we want to get technical, we have to consider the “Bi-phasic” response. Most toxicology scientists and government agencies have traditionally subscribed to either the linear model or the threshold model, where a toxin is always bad and there is never any benefit.

But upon closer inspection, the hormetic model seems to be the more accurate representation of the actual biological response in plants and animals. You can see the bi-phasic response illustrated in this PDF:

The Hormetic Dose Response, by Edward Calabrese, Ph.D.

And if you subscribe to the hormetic model, what we see is a sweet spot for getting benefits from toxins. And if you happen to overshoot that sweet spot, you still come back to a point where you get a neutral response (no benefit and no negative response).

And if you manage to overshoot that only then do you start to have negative effects.

Of course, there are some extremely nasty wild plant toxins out there. Adventurer Chris McCandless learned that the hard way. But, ancestral domesticated foods are nothing more than very old wisdom as to what dietary toxins are tolerable and beneficial. All you have to do is emulate those traditions. They’re at your local farmer’s market.

But when someone write a best-selling book demonizing the toxins found in the ancestral foods that don’t fit a particular narrative—and those “toxic” foods were sought out by all indigenous cultures, and just happen to show overwhelming benefits in studies—you know you’re dealing with a misleading agenda engineered to scare people into believing that narrative.

PS — Eating wild plants/weeds and their toxins can also be very beneficial, but it requires a whole other level of expertise to live off the wild, undomesticated, land and avoid Chris McCandless’s grim fate. Our Paleolithic ancestors had it far more difficult than we do, somehow thriving off of plants that were far more toxic than our wimpy domesticated plants. They certainly wouldn’t have been afraid of a bowl of cooked legumes.

• Bill on April 1, 2015 at 10:05

That’s why I come here and to Art Ayer’s and the late so far as blogging, Kurt Harris.
      I wish I had mirrored his website.

Hyperlipid is normally way over my head with the science, but his practical articles are gems. Work in progress for more than 8 years… Steady as she goes.
      and: http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.co.uk/2008/01/what-do-i-eat-fitday-analysis.html

I also think his baby late in life has boosted his well being.

• Richard Nikoley on April 1, 2015 at 11:06

Peter is good people and I think he has a compass that can ultimately point other than “true north.”

We’ll see.