Eww Gut Bugs — Introduction

[This series of posts about probiotics and prebiotics has been incorporated along with other material into a new and much expanded series, see below. You can get Elixa Probiotic here.]

This is a book in progress, consisting of an introduction and 18 Chapters. Over 165,000 words in total, about 400 pages in book length.

1. The Whole You
  2. The Collaboration
  3. Your Second Brain
  4. Chemical Warfare
  5. Our Microbiome Evolution Through the Last 12,000 Years (May 5, 2024)
  6. The History of Gut Microbes is the History of Life on Earth
  7. Pathogenic Gut Microbes
  8. The Gut Microbiome In Disease Pathology
  9. The Human Microbiome
  10. Resistant Starch
  11. Potato Starch
  12. Flatus
  13. Our Forgotten Organs
  14. No Soap or Shampoo; Washing With Water Only
  15. Prebiotics and Fermented Foods
  16. Antibiotics and Probiotics
  17. The Final Chapter
  18. Appendices and Cutting Room Floor

Here’s a hodgepodge of much of the background posts and material that formed the basis of the above.

Memberships are $10 monthly, $20 quarterly, or $65 annually. The cost of two premium coffees per month. Every membership helps finance the travel to write, photo, and film from interesting places and share the experiences with you.

1. steven on September 3, 2021 at 19:24

Sell the book, which I will buy.

Your too willing to trash even your ‘friends’ and long term commenters, and are proud of that fact. Which is why I cannot regularily read your works. Yes, much of what you write is true and correct, which is why I continue to peruse you when I read an email update. I recall you fought with both of the people whom you were writing this book, even though it is such an essential topic, back then and even more so now. I also recall you telling off many of the long term contributors in the comment sections, and these together painted you as a man whom was right very often, yet had to make sure others were made aware of that fact, even if those others were wounded or pushed away as the price to be paid.

Please, consider talking to the Creator, to get closer using happiness and joy as the benchmark. As I have been doing so for the last 2 months. I have much the same attitude as you, very certain of my opinions and the rightness of my stances. Only the last few days, have I been shown that it is me that is the cause of my problems with others. My certainty and know it all attitude keeps me from having happy discussions with other people – as both people need to be happy, not just me. And not just you.

You may likely tell me off, or delete this post. You are the owner of your blog, and have many readers, as you have made clear to other loud-mouths like me in the past.

• Geri on September 4, 2021 at 02:20

Great post. I’d love to read the book as many GI issues. Maybe something in there could help me.

• Richard Nikoley on September 4, 2021 at 08:46

Yawn.

One of the reasons I’m moving to 90% + content for paid members. Very chill that way

You’re wrong. And you base your comment on wrong. Of the three collaborators, Grace was the problem, not Tim or I. We’re still best buds, have remained in contact, just exchanged emails about this very topic hours ago. He simply wanted to do his own gig. He did. Good.

I don’t give a fuck about your problems relating well to others. I have zero problems relating to others I deem worth my time.

You’re dismissed.

2. Dave on September 3, 2021 at 20:52

I’d buy it as well, Richard. Just sayin’

3. CH on September 9, 2021 at 02:19

Is it just me, or is something photo-shopped in that woman’s crotch area?

4. Steve Smith on September 10, 2021 at 10:29

What a crap post!!!!
    Got your attention? :)
    Since you’ve gone off FB, send me an email and we can work out alternatives
    roguegrafix@yahoo.com

5. Tim Steele on October 5, 2021 at 10:48

This collaboration and effort was a great lesson for me. I think we all learned very quickly why there are very few three author books, haha. Probably the biggest change that has happened since we worked on this is that “gut bugs” have proven more elusive than we ever imagined. Richard and I were happy to not get too deep into naming names, eg. Akkermansia and Roseburia, but others were looking for magic bullets in these many species of bacteria. I dove deep into gut testing…Richard never did buy into it. uBiome was the premier tester of gut bugs, but was all a scam that I fell for hook, line, and sinker. https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndca/pr/ubiome-co-founders-charged-federal-securities-health-care-fraud-conspiracies

Probably best that this all fermented in the cloud for 8 years, can’t wait to read it all again with fresh eyes. And fun to be back in Richard’s comments again, lol.

• steven on October 5, 2021 at 18:30

Hey Tim,
      Truth to be told, back then when you guys were on a roll about potatoes and the gut biome, I personally was quite interested in the book/work you 3 were going to put out. Then when it fizzled out, of course I felt bummed out! Its great that you made a comment here again, a lot of the old commenters disappeared.

• Richard Nikoley on October 6, 2021 at 09:07

Not sure I deserve that much credit, Tim. It was just that I didn’t know what could be done with the info. Your gut is either fucked or you’re pretty good. If pretty good, keep doing what you’re doing…perhaps swallow some pro and pre-biotics from time to time. If fucked: antibiotics, probiotics, fecal transplant.

But yea, this effort to single out “God particles” was pretty funny. Wasn’t it that astute commenter, Gemma or Marta, I think, who coined that funny mocking term “Akkermessiah” or something like that? LOL.

That link is pretty funny. Reminds me of the Theranos fraud. There must be some base reasons these medical testing companies can pull off fraud like that. In the uBiome case, the whole Justice Dept. thing reads like they always do: 80% tooting their own horns. Very pathetic. I could not find a single word concerning the validity or efficacy in terms of diagnosis or therapy for the tests, which ought to be the primary concern. It’s all about business practices. So, you have one den of thieves going after another. Basically, LA Gangland stuff. Yawn.

Where I really saw this as all utter BS firsthand was when Karl Seddon of Elixa Probiotic sent me 2 test kits each of uBiome and American Gut, plus a probiotics course. I took a test of each, then the probiotics course, then resubmitted a test of each. Both times, the tests were done from the same smear on the TP.

So, 4 tests, all wildly different. Absolutely zero value or knowledge of a single thing concretely. A bunch of shit thrown against the wall, nothing stuck, LOL.

6. Todd Lambert on October 5, 2021 at 18:01

Recently have been reading a lot on melatonin’s role in gut health, among other benefits. I don’t know if you guys dug into that, or if it even interests you, but here are a few things I’ve found helpful:

Cheers,

Todd

• Richard Nikoley on October 5, 2021 at 18:14

Thanks Todd.

Chapter 1 is now posted. Your comment prompts me to start a file of comment inputs to look into and integrate into subsequent chapters.